ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn Fans Mock Rupp Environment (And They Ain't Wrong...)

Well, I'd like to object, but I can't say they're wrong.

Their court is surrounded by boisterous young people, ours far more so by rich quiet old people. Just how it is.
Agree that the size and types of people, along with the sheer history of Kentucky basketball vs. Auburn's, and also know that the $$ will always win out over putting students along the court. But I've been to four games this year at Rupp - and while there were some loud moments, it blows my mind how quickly we can go from loud to church mice. And I did observe those lower side sections throughout each game. While people do get up, it's hit or miss and usually takes some poking/prodding. It's like some of them just don't want to get up - they just want to sit with their hands folded and watch.

Reactions: Fox2monk and UK90
Agree that the size and types of people, along with the sheer history of Kentucky basketball vs. Auburn's, and also know that the $$ will always win out over putting students along the court. But I've been to four games this year at Rupp - and while there were some loud moments, it blows my mind how quickly we can go from loud to church mice. And I did observe those lower side sections throughout each game. While people do get up, it's hit or miss and usually takes some poking/prodding. It's like some of them just don't want to get up - they just want to sit with their hands folded and watch.
Entitlement. They want to sit and watch like they're at the movies or a Broadway show. They want to be entertained not involved.

It's not their fault though. They're old. It's UK's fault for not having a bigger student section closer to the court.

Once in awhile, Rupp is great. For MOST games, however, it is a library.

That makes a difference.

Our fans are too biased to see it matters a LOT in college hoops.

I challenge our fans to go to other games to experience what great environments are like these days on a regular basis, instead of just whenever it feels like a big game. You'll come away angry in some ways, guaranteed.

I hate that they are building this game up to a hyped frenzy. I used to love it. But we don’t win these anymore so it’s like the media is building up a game so everyone can see us lose.

400 showed up for Gameday...whereas UK fans filled the rafters...lol @ auburn

Rupp is only rocking for big games...meanwhile Couch schedules and loses to cupcakes there.

They needed to restructure Rupp with box seats with bourbon and fill the lowers with students
all the way around the court. Most of those seats near and on the floor are owned by corporate interests not the typical fan. Grind your axes with them.

They needed to restructure Rupp with box seats with bourbon and fill the lowers with students
all the way around the court. Most of those seats near and on the floor are owned by corporate interests not the typical fan. Grind your axes with them.
I agree totally and one would think UK would have some control over it. I'm sure the extra money UK gets from putting only rich people in those seats pales in comparison to tv and licensing money so I can't figure out why UK does it this way unless they are so short term greedy they can't leave any penny laying on the ground.

I agree totally and one would think UK would have some control over it. I'm sure the extra money UK gets from putting only rich people in those seats pales in comparison to tv and licensing money so I can't figure out why UK does it this way unless they are so short term greedy they can't leave any penny laying on the ground.
Give them a reason to leave those seats...I can't think of a better reason than luxury suites filled with the finest bourbons in the state. Problem is Brainfart is a stick in the mud and would prefer we remain closer to a Sunday School class than rabid environment.

The other side of that coin is, a lot of those schools couldn't sell the wrap around floor tickets for big money if they had too. That's why the Florida's, Auburn's, Georgia's have students there, their fan base doesn't give a flying F about basketball, evidenced by the laughable turnout for Gameday.

IMO, UK students are not willing to/can pay for the seats that make up the rowdiness in other college venues. When I was in school, if a ticket for a game was $200+, I would never go.

Reactions: susan2361
IMO, UK students are not willing to/can pay for the seats that make up the rowdiness in other college venues. When I was in school, if a ticket for a game was $200+, I would never go.
Face value for those seats go for a lot more than that...especially when factoring in the annual K Fund required to even purchase them. Plus, you can no longer claim and deduct K Fund from your taxes as a business expense...that's when the great skedaddle of STH'ers started.

Reactions: susan2361
To be fair, give Kentucky fans something to get up and make noise about and they will. Young, old, or in between.
When is the last time we saw our team come out fired up and ready to fight from the opening tip when it wasn't a top team?
Say what you will about coaches like Bruce Pearl, Eric Musselman, or Buzz Williams. They almost always have their teams hyped and motivated. Our teams for several years now have looked like they just woke up for home games and are just going through the motions the first 10 minutes.

Reactions: Emarc and susan2361
That's the problem, too much greed; a certain # of students should get in free and near courtside, imo. It's been over 45 years since I attended a game as a student and I don't remember paying. Maybe it's because of a faulty old memory or maybe because I always got nosebleeds.

That's the problem, too much greed; a certain # of students should get in free and near courtside, imo. It's been over 45 years since I attended a game as a student and I don't remember paying. Maybe it's because of a faulty old memory or maybe because I always got nosebleeds.
Last I knew they were like $5 or something...first come, first seated...or stand in ERZ

Even during the good stretches, the students were no different and only showed for big games, and their uppers were empty, especially for weeknight games.

Give them a reason to leave those seats...I can't think of a better reason than luxury suites filled with the finest bourbons in the state. Problem is Brainfart is a stick in the mud and would prefer we remain closer to a Sunday School class than rabid environment.

The other side of that coin is, a lot of those schools couldn't sell the wrap around floor tickets for big money if they had too. That's why the Florida's, Auburn's, Georgia's have students there, their fan base doesn't give a flying F about basketball, evidenced by the laughable turnout for Gameday.
Build a bunch of mini-suites (4 people maybe) - it doesn’t even matter if you can see the floor from the suites, charge an obscene annual amount for them, and then promote the suites like it's the next "must have" thing (e.g., fawningly identify those that buy those suites on Facebook, etc.). And voila, suddenly the lower arena will open up and contain fewer of a certain kind of “fan.”

Build a bunch of mini-suites (4 people maybe) - it doesn’t even matter if you can see the floor from the suites, charge an obscene annual amount for them, and then promote the suites like it's the next "must have" thing (e.g., fawningly identify those that buy those suites on Facebook, etc.). And voila, suddenly the lower arena will open up and contain fewer of a certain kind of “fan.”
Yep reallocate the corporate $...

1 NC2A championship in basketball and football combined...........since 1957.

Jackie Redmond Jackie GIF - Jackie Redmond Jackie Redmond GIFs

I got into good seats in the lower bowl at one game and decided to stand up to stretch at the under 8 timeout. Of course, that's when they do the pyramid. A group of ladies knitting the entire game were sitting behind me. One grabbed my brand new UK shirt and yanked me down for standing. Nobody had asked me to sit down or let me know that was a problem. They reminded me of Hell's Granny's from Monty Python. They had kind of messed up a brand new shirt and I think at the four minute timeout I turned to tell them. They were already gone.

I think they forgot the 40 point beatdown in Rupp last year. The place was nuts.
This is the problem the crowd is only nuts when winning big. They are not nuts when we are losing and need the crowd to turn the game around. It will never be that way at Kentucky just have to live with it.

Reactions: Zissou87
Entitlement. They want to sit and watch like they're at the movies or a Broadway show. They want to be entertained not involved.

It's not their fault though. They're old. It's UK's fault for not having a bigger student section closer to the court.
Yep. Build nice boxes and suites that they can have first class catering in. Get enough of them to buy into it to be able to clear one sideline of a minimum of 5 rows. (This also opens up floor seats in an endzone they can opt for for a cheaper price and maybe include some level of service there as well.

It’s a solvable equation…just have tk get creative and then market it as a status win for the wine and cheese crowd. There is a reason every other sport the “elites” prefer boxes and it isn’t just outdoor sports.

This is the problem the crowd is only nuts when winning big. They are not nuts when we are losing and need the crowd to turn the game around. It will never be that way at Kentucky just have to live with it.
Crowd is loudest when the opposing player is shooting free throws for a free Chicken Biscuit from Chik Fila.

Sad but indisputably true.

I don't think it's a solvable problem. Even with luxury suites for the big donors, UK has nearly priced the passionate common-man fan out. Those people are currently relegated to the upper arena and there is no way UK would ever allow them to sit down low for anywhere near what they pay to sit up top.
UK's pursuit of the the mighty $$$ virtually guarantees that.

They are completely correct.

I've been saying for years UK should move the students to the first 6-10 (I'd prefer 10) rows ALL THE WAY AROUND THE COURT.
If you want to make the rich donors happy, and aren't going to add luxury suites, simply add some luxury boxes ( in the top 2-4 rows of lower arena, where in 8-16 seat blocks they have a rail separating them from other seats, maybe you make those slightly wider (2-3") seats with cushions, AND they have a waiter come and take their snack/beer/wine/ice-cream orders and bring to them. That "special treatment" should keep them happy. And maybe as an added "special treatment" luxury box owners each get 1 game a year (if they want it) in the row behind the UK bench.

Reactions: ukfan1622
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT