ADVERTISEMENT

Cal’s Radio Show

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
He was asked if he would consider moving Shep and Dillingham into the starting lineup, he said he doesn’t think it matters, but says they will have to find a way to start the game better.

When Kentucky starts getting deeper into the tournament assuming they win, I think this is going to hurt them. If you get down to teams like Texas Tech, Marquette, etc. at the beginning of the game then it’ll be an uphill battle the entire game. I simply don’t agree with him but he’s willing to die on that hill.

200w.gif

Here's the thing on this starting lineup.

If we played defense during those first 3-5 minutes with this lineup, Cal would have a strong case for it not mattering. But we don't. Teams jump right out and within 5 minutes we're scrambling the deck to get our best offensive players into the game and asking them to bring us back to even, or take the lead.

Then we get the lead, or get it close, and to open the 2nd half, voila - same shit, different half.

If we could get that starting lineup to hold their ground and keep it tied or even have a little lead, then it wouldn't matter.

Or, he could just freaking start the best players and see what happens. And I think we all mean the 3 Rs - Reed, Rob, Reeves. I'm fine with Mitchell and O starting with these three because at least we'd have the three most potent guards and shooters (all three of the Rs can drive, pass and shoot!) and very well may blow the doors off of our opponent within the first 10 minutes!

Well as aggravated as I get sometimes with the lack of defense at start of game. I really think no matter how much team ball I’ve played the coaches on this team probably ten times better than my game time armchair plan would do.

If he cared more about winning and playing the best players these are not issues.

He made guarantees for DJ and Edwards. Made them to someone. Team be gone. He's doing what is best for individuals over doing whatvis best for the team.

The embarrassing part is, Dillingham and Sheppard forced his hand wide open in front of everyone.

We’ve started slow and fast with varying lineups. We’ve lost to Tenn in Rupp, UNCW in Rupp and Florida in Rupp all with Reed starting. We’ve won at Auburn, at Tenn and neutral vs North Carolina with our current lineup so it’s not that.
Cals problem is he has to play at least 2 of the 3 together 95% of the game and for a lot of minutes all 3 and he won’t do it.

Reactions: cwcat and ala_kat2
We’ve started slow and fast with varying lineups. We’ve lost to Tenn in Rupp, UNCW in Rupp and Florida in Rupp all with Reed starting. We’ve won at Auburn, at Tenn and neutral vs North Carolina with our current lineup so it’s not that.
Cals problem is he has to play at least 2 of the 3 together 95% of the game and for a lot of minutes all 3 and he won’t do it.
The problem is Reed, Rob, and Reeves all won us those games. If you’re saying “we have to outscore teams to win” which Cal did say, why not put the guys out there that can score at a high rate?

Lol cal is an asshole trolling our fanbase. I’m sorry but he isn’t this stupid to bench two top five picks to start the game. He has zero memory of going down to kSU in 2018 when we should have made a ff run. This guy knows the stats he knows every minute you bench those guys is a minute less of production. This isn’t about cal not being able to coach it’s about his inflated ego unwilling to do what it takes to win. He knows only an idiot would start 4 guys who are sub standard long range threats. If we don’t start in the hole against tamu we win the game imo. He didn’t just not start those guys he waited until we were in an insurmountable hole before he brought those guys in. And you know what it’s not only unfair to not start reed and Rob it’s also unfair to expect them to clean us the mess Cals starters leave for them when they leave the floor. I’m sick of cal and want the guy gone asap. To him UK has become an experiment of playing games with the fanbase and seeing if he can win with a hand tied behind his back.

He is too stubborn for his own good. He knows what he is doing is wrong and hurts the team but it would mean he isn’t correct and the fans and everybody else were right
I’m pretty sure this is it. His ego and need to do things his way only drove a lot of his success but has now led to his falling off (I’m not using the word downfall… yet anyway)

If we played defense during those first 3-5 minutes with this lineup, Cal would have a strong case for it not mattering. But we don't. Teams jump right out and within 5 minutes we're scrambling the deck to get our best offensive players into the game and asking them to bring us back to even, or take the lead.

Then we get the lead, or get it close, and to open the 2nd half, voila - same shit, different half.

If we could get that starting lineup to hold their ground and keep it tied or even have a little lead, then it wouldn't matter.

Or, he could just freaking start the best players and see what happens. And I think we all mean the 3 Rs - Reed, Rob, Reeves. I'm fine with Mitchell and O starting with these three because at least we'd have the three most potent guards and shooters (all three of the Rs can drive, pass and shoot!) and very well may blow the doors off of our opponent within the first 10 minutes!
Here's the interesting thing.

The entire UNIVERSE is literally SHOUTING at Cal to start his best 5 players. And he is the ONLY one who flatly REFUSES to do it.

Isn't that weird?

At least one of Rob or Reed should be on the floor for 40 minutes. When neither starts, that is ~8mpg (or 1/4 of the game) where NEITHER are on the floor.

Someone explain it to the that way since “it doesn’t really matter”. 🙄

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep. If you played the R, R, R, Thiero, Ugo/Z the bulk of the min with Wagner getting 10-20min giving short breathers to the guard rotation, Edwards getting 10-20 at the 4 (only 3 if a guard is in foul trouble), Mitchell getting some minutes at small ball 5 situationally and 4 backing Thiero. Mitchell/Edwards fight each other depending on who is playing the backup 4 the best game to game….. that lineup can win a title. But too many minutes for Wagner and Edwards at the 3 limiting our 3 best players from being on the floor together….combined w forcing Bradshaw 5+ min or double bigs will likely get us beat

The problem is Reed, Rob, and Reeves all won us those games. If you’re saying “we have to outscore teams to win” which Cal did say, why not put the guys out there that can score at a high rate?
The tone was set during the Auburn by the starting lineup. They played lights out defense and Auburn only scored 2 points over the first five minutes or so.

The Reed and Rob lineup (I don't remember if Reeves was in or not, but I believe he was) also blew the leads at LSU and home against Arkansas in the second half.

This is not nearly as black and white as people are making it out to be. Since SEC play started, when the first group of subs came in we were winning and losing an equal number of games and tied in one. People act like the starting lineup always digs us into a hole, but that's not the case. The Reed, Rob, and Reeves lineup has lost us games by giving up big second half runs.

He was asked if he would consider moving Shep and Dillingham into the starting lineup, he said he doesn’t think it matters, but says they will have to find a way to start the game better.

When Kentucky starts getting deeper into the tournament assuming they win, I think this is going to hurt them. If you get down to teams like Texas Tech, Marquette, etc. at the beginning of the game then it’ll be an uphill battle the entire game. I simply don’t agree with him but he’s willing to die on that hill.
Agree with you . His ignoring analytics is bizarre . Only explanation is the NBA draft status of Wagner and Edwards . i Really think the man is sick . Not rational

Reactions: NociHTTP

I'm shocked by this.

Someone should start a thread about who starts — Beuhler ? Beuhler ? anyone ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT