ADVERTISEMENT

Cal’s Radio Show

Here's the interesting thing.

The entire UNIVERSE is literally SHOUTING at Cal to start his best 5 players. And he is the ONLY one who flatly REFUSES to do it.

Isn't that weird?
No, because it's John - lifetime contract, Mega Millions/Powerball buyout - Calipari we're talking about here. When it comes to a stubborn know it all egomaniac like him, it's expected, not weird.

Reactions: cathouse
CCC must have signed some kind of blood oath to continue with this lineup.

I would love to ask him to tell me any previous championship team I don’t care what sport that didn’t start two of its best players.
It’s because he doesn’t like to be wrong and he wants to do it “his way”. I bet if no one ever said shit about it he would have changed it months ago

It’s because he doesn’t like to be wrong and he wants to do it “his way”. I bet if no one ever said shit about it he would have changed it months ago
I made mention of this in another post.

Fans should never, ever, ever post on here what lineup changes need to be made, even when it is so obvious a blind man can see it.

Cal obviously has staff/family/himself reading these sites and his huge ego will never allow him to admit he has made a mistake or needs to change anything he is doing. Typical narcissist.

He is not trying to lose. He is trying to prove the fans wrong and himself right. And he is willing to lose to prove it.

Here's the interesting thing.

The entire UNIVERSE is literally SHOUTING at Cal to start his best 5 players. And he is the ONLY one who flatly REFUSES to do it.

Isn't that weird?
It’s weird until you realize that he gets off on going against the grain, regardless of how incredibly stupid it is. That way he can get all the credit if it happens to work

If those 3 “won us those games” then how do you argue it matters who starts or not?
Other people have answered this but it does matter who starts and the reason is pressure; when you get behind early it puts pressure on your team while giving confidence to the other team.

Most teams start their best players and give them 2-4 minutes of rest in the middle of each half. The only reason ANY OTHER coach ever has one of their best 3 players on the bench to start the game is if he only plays one position and one of the two best players plays the same position. Starting a lineup with 4 non-scorers when you have two great scorers on the bench is going to get you in a hole to start a game. Often this year our bench players have pulled out the games for us but we've lost 5-6 games this year just because of how bad our starters got outscored at the start of each half.

Why start a lineup you would never dream of having in at the end of a close game? It's just trying to not
be your best
to have 2 of your 3 best players(and that's not even debatable) on the bench to start a game or 2nd half.

Most of why we fall behind is lazy guarding the 3 point line (aways) and getting murdered on the offensive board. Not sure if these two could change that much. Plus, these two might be the “best players”, but not necessarily on defense. Might be worse if they started and Dilly would have two fouls by the ender 16.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and DreadLox
Other people have answered this but it does matter who starts and the reason is pressure; when you get behind early it puts pressure on your team while giving confidence to the other team.

Most teams start their best players and give them 2-4 minutes of rest in the middle of each half. The only reason ANY OTHER coach ever has one of their best 3 players on the bench to start the game is if he only plays one position and one of the two best players plays the same position. Starting a lineup with 4 non-scorers when you have two great scorers on the bench is going to get you in a hole to start a game. Often this year our bench players have pulled out the games for us but we've lost 5-6 games this year just because of how bad our starters got outscored at the start of each half.

Why start a lineup you would never dream of having in at the end of a close game? It's just trying to not
be your best
to have 2 of your 3 best players(and that's not even debatable) on the bench to start a game or 2nd half.
Like Cal, I don’t think it really matters but you’re more than welcome to think it does. I’m good with Shep, Dilly and Reeves getting about 32-36 minutes each in any combination as long as it’s two of them at all times or all 3.

Reactions: ukfan1622
Like Cal, I don’t think it really matters but you’re more than welcome to think it does. I’m good with Shep, Dilly and Reeves getting about 32-36 minutes each in any combination as long as it’s two of them at all times or all 3.
Appreciate you being polite about it. Yes, we're both UK fans and it's okay of we disagree about something.
But I just realized we kind of agree. I'm also happy with any combination that includes 2 of our best three if not all three. But our recent starting lineup does not include at least 2 of the three, only one.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
That's the problem that you and about three dozen posters keep refusing to see. Cal rarely plays those three together. It's absurd at this point.

Reactions: KFuqua and NociHTTP
At this point it’s too late to change it. Who knows how much it has to do with promises, maintaining a few players psyche’s, or if it’s just Cal centric. But we we go down 11-1 in the first four minutes and lose by 2, it’ll be an issue.

Reactions: NociHTTP
He was asked if he would consider moving Shep and Dillingham into the starting lineup, he said he doesn’t think it matters, but says they will have to find a way to start the game better.

When Kentucky starts getting deeper into the tournament assuming they win, I think this is going to hurt them. If you get down to teams like Texas Tech, Marquette, etc. at the beginning of the game then it’ll be an uphill battle the entire game. I simply don’t agree with him but he’s willing to die on that hill.
He also said this when talking about the SEC TOURNAMENT.

On the seedings having nothing to do with the SEC Tournament... Says he thought they might have been able to move up to a 2, though. Wants people to stop the narrative that "the kids don't care about it."

Appreciate you being polite about it. Yes, we're both UK fans and it's okay of we disagree about something.
But I just realized we kind of agree. I'm also happy with any combination that includes 2 of our best three if not all three. But our recent starting lineup does not include at least 2 of the three, only one.
Absolutely

If he is considering changing the starting lineup it’s because he’s scared. Scared of the massive ridicule and embarrassment that’s coming and has already started from the fans and media if he makes an early exit like he’s done in recent years. The ridicule of having two of his best players coming off the bench.
If he gives people what they want and loses it gives him an “out”. He’ll just claim he was right all along that it didn’t matter. He’s a loser.

The only show Cow should be doing is taking his show on the road & far away from Lexington
clown-show.png

(All credits to this board's main photo guy @CatPhight) 🔥
CatPhight is da MAN !!! Best Photoshop guy on da board!!!

AlohaCat

I
It is called dementia.
No, it's called making promises in order to get guys to sign with you. His primary objective is to get guys in the NBA. It is not to championships. Showcasing guys is, first and foremost, what Cal is about. When the media and others are calling Cal out, it falls on deaf ears.

Reactions: westerncat
Instead of doing the right thing and starting Reed and Rob, Cal said he is considering playing two 7-footers together. LOL. You can't make this stuff up. He is trolling everyone.

Cal is always.always.always writing his next book in his head. Right now he just can’t get over how good it would sound:

“No one had ever tried bringing their best players off the bench and they told me it was impossible…”
This is funny and sounds just like Cal. Somebody needs to call in and ask/tell him about this on his call in show! BTW, J Dykes will do the foreword if Calipari will ✍️ the book.

We’ve started slow and fast with varying lineups. We’ve lost to Tenn in Rupp, UNCW in Rupp and Florida in Rupp all with Reed starting. We’ve won at Auburn, at Tenn and neutral vs North Carolina with our current lineup so it’s not that.
Cals problem is he has to play at least 2 of the 3 together 95% of the game and for a lot of minutes all 3 and he won’t do it.
3 losses in Rupp with Reed starting but none of those count because there’s a narrative to drive home that some could coach the team better from their couch. Also forget that Edwards is as ready as he’ll ever be but wouldn’t be had he been buried on the bench like many wanted and that would give us a huge hole.

Last edited:
Getting Ugo out of there is just as important as getting Sheppard/Dillingham in.

If you look at the on/off splits, Ugo's been one of the worst players in the entire country this season. He's killing us.

The issue - to me - isn’t who is starting. The issues is preparing and strategizing for games. The issue is making in game adjustments that address what is not working and teaching all facets of the game so that your players know their roles and can be the best as a team. The issue is also making the top priority WINNING games and upholding a decades long tradition of excellence. Having a players first mentality is fine - only if those players understand that they will accomplish their goals within the perimeters of having a winning attitude.

This begins and ends with the coaches. They have a chance to redeem a lot of dissatisfaction by getting this team to a Final Four. A full evaluation should happen at the end of this season - regardless of the outcome, imo.

He was asked if he would consider moving Shep and Dillingham into the starting lineup, he said he doesn’t think it matters, but says they will have to find a way to start the game better.

When Kentucky starts getting deeper into the tournament assuming they win, I think this is going to hurt them. If you get down to teams like Texas Tech, Marquette, etc. at the beginning of the game then it’ll be an uphill battle the entire game. I simply don’t agree with him but he’s willing to die on that hill.
I heard that. It was like starting them is out of the question. It was like he will do anything to avoid starting those two. Even it means costing us a game in THE tournament. Saying 'it doesn't really matter' was shocking to hear from him. EVERY team in the country I have watched start their best players. It got boring hearing him say that he told the players he has their backs, just have fun. It's like he was saying to the players to not take it seriously, just have fun, and I will take the criticisms and not care about it.

Never thought he would turn out to be so obsessed with making people rich over everything else. Making a difference in a kids life is fine as long as you don't do it at the expense of OTHER kids and people that are relying on you to do your job right.

Reactions: KFuqua
3 losses in Rupp with Reed starting but none of those count because there’s a narrative to drive home that some could coach the team better from their couch. Also forget that Edwards is as ready as he’ll ever be but wouldn’t be had he been buried on the bench like many wanted and that would give us a huge hole.
Was the full team available to play in those 3 losses you keep bringing up???

Would we have won those games (or any game for that matter) if DJ started and Reed/Rob weren't available to play?? Wasn't Edwards out for some of those games?? And Thiero?? And Z?? And Bradshaw??

This is a false narrative and you know it, yet you continue using it to support your idol and/or put Reed down.

What about right now??? Who are the 5 best players right now?? And should they be starting and playing together AS A UNIT rather than being run in and out of the game like it is Middle School basketball????

Now would be a great time to play your best players TOGETHER for the majority of the game, IMO.

But, as you say, we are just nobody's with no say in it. I will give you that.

Exactly

People trying to correlate Reed Sheppard having to start against UNCW, Florida and Tennessee at Rupp Arena (due to injury) and UK losing all three games is reasoning enough that he should not be in the starting lineup is laughable!!!!
Look at these averaged stats for RS during these three home LOSSES:
40.3-min
21.7-pts
7.3-reb
6.6-ast
1.0-stl
1.3-blk
51-fg%
50-3-pt%
75-ft%

The above individual stats could be one of the better 3-game spans for any UK player this year!!

I suppose these three home losses didn't have anything to do with:
Dillingham/ UNCW: 1-9 fg, 4-to, 2-pts..........
OR
Mitchell, Thierro, Z, Bradshaw, Burks combining for 15-points in 71-minutes against Florida..........
OR
UGO, Mitchell, Edwards and Bradshaw combining for 11-POINTS in 76-minutes against Tennessee..........

Does anyone remember when DJ went 4-31/ 12.9-fg% while playing 22.5-mpg and scoring ELEVEN points/ 2.8-ppg in the FOUR losses to Kansas, S.Carolina, Gonzaga, LSU?????
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

People trying to correlate Reed Sheppard having to start against UNCW, Florida and Tennessee at Rupp Arena (due to injury) and UK losing all three games is reasoning enough that he should not be in the starting lineup is laughable!!!!
40.3-min
21.7-pts
7.3-reb
6.6-ast
1.0-stl
1.3-blk
51-fg%
50-3-pt%
75-ft%

The above individual stats could be one of the better 3-game spans for any UK player this year!!

OR
Mitchell, Thierro, Z, Bradshaw, Burks combining for 15-points in 71-minutes against Florida..........
OR
UGO, Mitchell, Edwards and Bradshaw combining for 11-POINTS in 76-minutes against Tennessee..........

Does anyone remember when DJ went 4-31/ 12.9-fg% while playing 22.5-mpg and scoring ELEVEN points/ 2.8-ppg in the FOUR losses to Kansas, S.Carolina, Gonzaga, LSU?????
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Please send this post to Cal.

Reactions: susan2361 and ib4ky
No, it's called making promises in order to get guys to sign with you. His primary objective is to get guys in the NBA. It is not to championships. Showcasing guys is, first and foremost, what Cal is about. When the media and others are calling Cal out, it falls on deaf ears.
Well then let the egotistical bastard coach in the G League. This is the University of Kentucky not the NBA development program. Cal has singlehandedly destroyed our tradition and most of our records.

40.3-min
21.7-pts
7.3-reb
6.6-ast
1.0-stl
1.3-blk
51-fg%
50-3-pt%
75-ft%

OR
OR

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Please do not bring facts to this board.

We are all about feelings......and emotions.......facts are disturbing and contrary to some of our fellow posters well being concerning their love for the man.

Most of why we fall behind is lazy guarding the 3 point line (aways) and getting murdered on the offensive board. Not sure if these two could change that much. Plus, these two might be the “best players”, but not necessarily on defense. Might be worse if they started and Dilly would have two fouls by the ender 16.
This is actually somewhat fair. Dilly, while electric on offense, commits the dumbest fouls I’ve ever seen a player commit at UK. He’s fouled the 3 pt shot about 25 times this season. He also reaches 90 feet from the basket. He gets a quick 2 all the time. He has taken himself out of many a games doing that.

I want both he and Shep to start bc maybe we can bury a team with an opening offensive onslaught to start a game. Ain’t gonna happen though.

Quick question. Would YOU start your best players???
Not when you been subbing them in all year. Why change midstream. Granted we’ve had some duds this year. Games we lost had nothing to do with subbing them in three minutes into game. But go with what got you here. My opinion .

Not when you been subbing them in all year. Why change midstream. Granted we’ve had some duds this year. Games we lost had nothing to do with subbing them in three minutes into game. But go with what got you here. My opinion .
Go with what got you here, even though you know you are starting a game at a disadvantage. Got it.

This is how we've always done it. Why change just because it isn't working out??

You sound just like Cal. Too stubborn to change.

Go with what got you here, even though you know you are starting a game at a disadvantage. Got it.

This is how we've always done it. Why change just because it isn't working out??

You sound just like Cal. And we will let him and coach staff do their jobs and we will armchair.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT