ADVERTISEMENT

Cal’s #1 dilemma going forward…

TFCats11

Senior
Mar 25, 2019
Western Michigan
Is he is to going to have to swallow his ego and his pride and settle on the best 8 dudes to accomplish the mission of competing for a Championship with the players that are best suited for that task!

That’s not to say that the #9 or #10 guys won’t contribute along the way, but if he is serious about a second Title, he needs to put the NBA draft night BS behind him until he commits to that goal.

He has the team. He has the staff. He will ultimately make or break this by his own devices!

Hopefully our team chemistry isn’t hindered. Hopefully Thiero comes back soon. We have 10 who can get minutes but it probably needs to be 8/9 come March.

Reactions: jmw23712
Edwards only had 12 minutes tonight. He's getting left behind already unless he can play better.
But when Thiero gets back there is a choice to be made about those 12 minutes.

And Reeves need to start at the three with Sheppard, Dillingham, and Wagner splitting the guard minutes.

With Mitchell and Z at the 4/5(appear to be our best two big men) that leaves maybe 32 minutes of backup time for Thiero, Edwards, Onyenso, and Bradshaw to share.

Based on caliber of play for the season so far I would see Edwards getting the same minutes as Hart and Burks. You wouldn't be hurting Edwards draft prospects as those are already gone; you'd just be playing your top 9 players and players 10-12 are for when injuries or foul trouble become a problem and Edwards in not one of our top two or even 3 best players at either forward position. I'm not slamming the guy; I think he has a lot of potential but he is just not currently one of our better players.

There are still a few question marks. What’s going on with Thiero and is he even coming back? Was Z just in the moment or is he this good?

Wagner, Sheppard, Reeves, and Mitchell are locked in. And most of the time Dillingham too but I feel he needs to get more serious about this.

Edwards already seems to be the guy who’s gonna lose mins. Just from listening to Cal lately I think he’s desperate for #9 and says he doesn’t care who you are, “if you’re not helping the team you’re sitting.” I can finally start to see it from him.

There are still a few question marks. What’s going on with Thiero and is he even coming back? Was Z just in the moment or is he this good?

Wagner, Sheppard, Reeves, and Mitchell are locked in. And most of the time Dillingham too but I feel he needs to get more serious about this.

Edwards already seems to be the guy who’s gonna lose mins. Just from listening to Cal lately I think he’s desperate for #9 and says he doesn’t care who you are, “if you’re not helping the team you’re sitting.” I can finally start to see it from him.
Yet Edwards still starts. Until that stops cal is FOS!!!!

Cal sees this is probably the best chance he will to win the big one again. But better work on the defense.

Yet Edwards still starts. Until that stops cal is FOS!!!!
I know what you mean but he’s not playing starter mins which is what matters. He only played 13 mins tonight which I think is where he should be. And too.. no need to completely crush the dude instantly. He shouldn’t be starting but I think that might change if his mins continue to dwindle.

I know what you mean but he’s not playing starter mins which is what matters. He only played 13 mins tonight which I think is where he should be. And too.. no need to completely crush the dude instantly. He shouldn’t be starting but I think that might change if his mins continue to dwindle.
Continuing to start him just looks silly at this point. Once Thiero comes back Cal has a real decision to make about that guys minutes.

He only played 13 minutes because of foul trouble. If Cal truly wants to win, he should replace Edwards wit Shep and Bradshaw with Z.

Continuing to start him just looks silly at this point. Once Thiero comes back Cal has a real decision to make about that guys minutes.
I don’t disagree with that at all. I already said he shouldn’t be starting. But again, I wouldn’t disown him either. Thiero has struggled. Dillingham has also been so bad at times it looks like he’s playing for the other team. We might still need Edwards 10-12 mins a game is all I’m saying.

Reactions: DuctTapeBandit
He only played 13 minutes because of foul trouble. If Cal truly wants to win, he should replace Edwards wit Shep and Bradshaw with Z.
See my earlier post. I’ve already made it clear this is how it should be. This is not news.

Edwards PT is minimally impacted by Z. The solution for Z without Thiero is pretty simple. Onyenso, Bradshaw and Mitchell all play less, opening up minutes for Z. Edwards was spending MAYBE 1-2 minutes every few games at the 4.

With Thiero re-introduced, it's going to be a challenge. Will have 5 guys vying to two spots. Likely puts Thiero at the 3, but then that takes away from perimeter threat. On the flipside, he's probably our best defender. That's going to be a coaching challenge for sure. It'll probably be Onyenso losing most of the time when Thiero returns, but it's hard to not play Onyenso too. Tough call.

Tre mentioned Adou coming back in the post game interview. Didn’t say anything specifically, but the way he was talking it sounds like his return is imminent. When he’s back we’re 2 deep at every position. Not just 2 deep with decent backups, but literally 10 guys who could start. Our 9th or 10th best player is one of our starters as is.

Tre mentioned Adou coming back in the post game interview. Didn’t say anything specifically, but the way he was talking it sounds like his return is imminent. When he’s back we’re 2 deep at every position. Not just 2 deep with decent backups, but literally 10 guys who could start. Our 9th or 10th best player is one of our starters as is.
Oh man when Adou returns… 😳

• Love
Reactions: susan2361
Cal’s #1 dilemma is the defense. Plain and simple. UK will NOT win the NCAAT playing this kind of defense. Can't rely on scoring 90-100 a game. Some nights the shots aren't falling and you must be able to get stops on D.
This is why Edwards and Bradshaw have to see less minutes. Edwards gets beat constantly on defense and doesn't do enough on offense to make up for it. Bradshaw gets Posted up to easily, but can score, just doesn't rebound good enough for a kid his size.

Big Z looks GREAT at protecting the rim, rebounding, hedging and rotating on defense to go with his AMAZZING offensive skills.

When Theiro returns, putting him on the floor with Z should make our defense better.

Wagner and Shep aren't that great at keeping their man out of the paint, but do so much more that they have to play about what they do now.

Dillingham is either hot or cold(like tonight). But his defense is WORSE than Wagner and Shep.

Mitchell and Reeves should and DO get the MOST minutes.

Ugo is a spot player that can protect the rim too.

That's 10 players!!! I realize Cal said he would NEVER platoon again, but he could with these 10.

After saying all of that, Cal has a rep for playing the NBA Draft prospects over everyone else.

I don’t disagree with that at all. I already said he shouldn’t be starting. But again, I wouldn’t disown him either. Thiero has struggled. Dillingham has also been so bad at times it looks like he’s playing for the other team. We might still need Edwards 10-12 mins a game is all I’m saying.
Against the kinds of teams we will see in the tournament, Thiero has been tremendous.

Edwards and Ugo may be the one's that Big Z's huge game effects the most. Hard to justify playing them over Z at this point.
1. Edwards has nothing to do with Z playing more
2. I see your point kn Ugo…but he’s playing better then Bradshaw to me…but we play the higher rated kid at UK…so we know how this will pan out

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Edwards needs benched. Let’s face it he needs a second year at minimum. He’s just not ready or this system isn’t for him.

At this point you gotta go Wagner reeves reed mitchell and Bradshaw/Z
Depending on the opponent you can dilly instead of Mitchell and out more guards out there.

But we all know cal will stick with exactly what he’s been doing. He’s terrified of trying something new

Bradshaw & Edwards are 9&10 in the ten guys who get to play
6-8 minutes per game is enough of both
We ALL see this, but will Cal ACTUALLY play them that few minutes????

I'm guessing NO.

He coddles the highly ranked recruits that are supposed to be NBA Draft picks.

See my earlier post. I’ve already made it clear this is how it should be. This is not news.
I'm saying if it weren't for foul trouble, he would have played more tonight. Cal just doesn't want to take his heart.

But when Thiero gets back there is a choice to be made about those 12 minutes.

And Reeves need to start at the three with Sheppard, Dillingham, and Wagner splitting the guard minutes.

With Mitchell and Z at the 4/5(appear to be our best two big men) that leaves maybe 32 minutes of backup time for Thiero, Edwards, Onyenso, and Bradshaw to share.

Based on caliber of play for the season so far I would see Edwards getting the same minutes as Hart and Burks. You wouldn't be hurting Edwards draft prospects as those are already gone; you'd just be playing your top 9 players and players 10-12 are for when injuries or foul trouble become a problem and Edwards in not one of our top two or even 3 best players at either forward position. I'm not slamming the guy; I think he has a lot of potential but he is just not currently one of our better players.

I'm actually totally fine with 12 minutes for Edwards. It gives someone else a rest, and it would be nice to see if he can start to come alive. We cant NOT play him at all. We just need to cap his minutes until he proves otherwise.

Because if we could ever get that elite SF that we thought Edwards could be, we'd be very very tough to beat.

1. Edwards has nothing to do with Z playing more
2. I see your point kn Ugo…but he’s playing better then Bradshaw to me…but we play the higher rated kid at UK…so we know how this will pan out
Cal had been playing Edwards at the 4 to get him more minutes. But when Theiro returns, that should be over with.

Z can play the 4 too.

Bradshaw gets Posted up against teams that have a strong 5 man. Z can defend the Post MUCH better than Bradshaw and protects the rim, hedges and rotates EXTREMELY better.

But you are EXACTLY right about Cal. So, it's most likely going to be Ugo and Theiro that get less PT now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT