ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest "What-If" in UK Basketball History

Did you? More than once?
I never met him. I’ve also never met Lyndon Johnson but I don’t like him, either.

Sorry, but some public figures won’t be liked. Just because someone net someone and found them to be nice doesn’t mean anyone else has to like him.
He was a successful coach, and NOT a racist as the media purports. He had an ego and I don’t like him. I thought Bryant was an ass at TAMU

Last edited:
What is your biggest "What-If" in UK history? I want a bunch of you to give your what-if...and 3-4 things that would have happened if your condition was met. (Examples - Pitino doesn't leave, Meeks returns for his Senior year, Eddie does not get caught cheating, Etc.)

I'll start

What if John Calipari was hired in 2007 instead of Billy Gillespie?

-Derrick Rose signs with Kentucky
-Everyone important...including Randolph Morris...returns
-Patterson still signs
-Sandy Bell/Calipari make sure Rose's ACT is never an issue

A starting lineup of:
Morris
Patterson
Crawford
Bradley/Meeks
Rose

I think that is a dominant team that could have challenged for the national title. 3 really good seniors with an elite freshman in Rose...oh and PPat was pretty good too BTW. No NIT and No Gardner Webb. Our rise back to the top would have been immediate.

And who knows, by year 2 we could have seen a Tyreke Evans and Jodie Meeks back-court.

What if Tubby stays and Draymond Green comes instead of Rose.

What if Tubby had 3 girls instead of 3 boys.

What if Cliff Hawkins didn't have asthma?

What if Ralph Sampson comes to UK to play with Bowie.

What if Mike Casey doesn't break his leg?

What if Nazr makes 1-6 from the FT line?

What if Pitino puts Riddick on Grant Hill?

What if Joe B thot Larry Bird could have played at UK?

What if Catlett takes over instead of JBH?

Loot over Eddie? Lee Rose over Eddie?

UK had hired Don Lane?

I never met him. I’ve also never met Lyndon Johnson but I don’t like him, either.

Sorry, but some public figures won’t be liked. Just because someone net someone and found them to be nice doesn’t mean anyone else has to like him.
He was a successful coach, and NOT a racist as the media purports. He had an ego and I don’t like him. I thought Bryant was an ass at TAMU
Most folks on here don’t like idiots :chairshot:and we’ve never met you .

You attacked my Coach I take it personal
Sounds like you have issues. Your coach was a public figure. He rubbed people the wrong way all the time.
I didn’t appreciate how he detested Bryant’s presence while at UK. I also didn’t appreciate Bryant leaving in a huff like he did.

What if the ref who had his arm raised (wasn't it Higgins?) had called the foul on Sparks' 3-pointer in 2005?

Sounds like you have issues. Your coach was a public figure. He rubbed people the wrong way all the time.
I didn’t appreciate how he detested Bryant’s presence while at UK. I also didn’t appreciate Bryant leaving in a huff like he did.
You don't know squat.Coach Rupp and Paul Bryant were friends but since you live in a cave and never met anyone.that is understandable.
Nobody on here appreciates you so we will lt it go at that..What a Marroon.:(:(:(:(:(

You don't know squat.Coach Rupp and Paul Bryant were friends but since you live in a cave and never met anyone.that is understandable.
Nobody on here appreciates you so we will lt it go at that..What a Marroon.:(:(:(:(:(
Bryant and Rupp became somewhat friendly YEARS after Bryant’s departure. They were NEVER friends while both at UK.

Bryant made a guest appearance on Rupps show showcasing a lighter (joking about the Cadillac and Lighter myth. Rupp didn’t receive the car until 1956–3 yrs after Bryant’s exodus.

You lost your ground when you started. The ad hominem attacks against me. You plain lost.

Have one of these:

DG-CHF-2.jpg

Last edited:
Bryant and Rupp became somewhat friendly YEARS after Bryant’s departure. They were NEVER friends while both at UK.

Bryant made a guest appearance on Rupps show showcasing a lighter (joking about the Cadillac and Lighter myth. Rupp didn’t receive the car until 1956–3 yrs after Bryant’s exodus.

You lost your ground when you started. The ad hominem attacks against me. You plain lost.

Have one of these:

DG-CHF-2.jpg
yawn....:flush::flush::flush: you get your facts from Google now I get rid of you..

What if euton, zillion, Williams, Avery, and pilgrim would of all played here together? We may have atleast 2 more championships. The Dwight perrys of the world would be beating down doors to get into uk

I didn’t appreciate how he detested Bryant’s presence while at UK.

I don't know that Rupp detested Bryant's presence. If he did he didn't do so publicly so not sure why it gets you upset about it.

The two were competitive certainly. But they never showed publicly any real animosity (beyond a few quips like the lighter/Cadillac story which were supposed to be funny) and when interviewed personally they always implied they had a better relationship than most on the outside believed.

The fact that when Rupp travelled to Tuscaloosa after he was forced to retire at UK, he was often a guest of the Bryants, tells me that whatever animostity there may have been when the two were both at UK was long forgotten.

I don't know that Rupp detested Bryant's presence. If he did he didn't do so publicly so not sure why it gets you upset about it.

The two were competitive certainly. But they never showed publicly any real animosity (beyond a few quips like the lighter/Cadillac story which were supposed to be funny) and when interviewed personally they always implied they had a better relationship than most on the outside believed.

The fact that when Rupp travelled to Tuscaloosa after he was forced to retire at UK, he was often a guest of the Bryants, tells me that whatever animostity there may have been when the two were both at UK was long forgotten.
Exactly this is the gospel the poster cannot stand the truth

Time and change, in this case, heals all wounds. Rupp was entrenched in making UK a dynastic team, and Bryant was well on his way with national titles at Alabama. Neither was a threat to the other anymore.

They may have been on friendly terms by 1972, but you can’t explain away Bryant’s huffy departure from UK. How good of friends could they have been if Bryant was upset at UK for not firing Rupp over the point-shaving scandal? I have it on personal knowledge that Bryant—upon leaving UK in 1953 wanted nothing to do with him or the president.

The resentment between the two was mutual. Rupp wanted to be king, and there was no room at UK for a successful football coach. I’ve heard personal accounts and know better that Rupp was the “better man”. Both had colossal egos, and their faults.

(EDIT: I’ll correct this later on my computer. My phone is being stupid...)

The biggest “what if” to me will be “What if we got by Whisky....”

That one does keep me up at night. We’d still be riding on Cloud Nine. To be the only program to go 40-0 with a Natty in an era of college basketball where that should’ve been impossible. But as we all know it should’ve been possible. That one still eats away at me. Had we pulled that off nothing that’s happened to us in the last 3 years wouldn’t be anything. UNCheat beats us in the Elite Eight on a lucky shot? Stings, but oh well. We went 40-0. Top that.

It would’ve been the crown jewel of our kingship. There would’ve been no debate. UK IS College Basketball. (We know that to be sure). But history would’ve had to realize that FOREVER. And the Dukies and UNCheats of the world would have no CHOICE but to bow down before us. Cal would’ve cemented his legacy at UK and would be talke about as the best coach in college history.

Dang. THAT’S

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
. . . The biggest “what if” to me will be “What if we got by Whisky....”

. . . We’d still be riding on Cloud Nine. To be the only program to go 40-0 with a Natty in an era of college basketball where that should’ve been impossible. . . Had we pulled that off nothing that’s happened to us in the last 3 years wouldn’t be anything. UNCheat beats us in the Elite Eight on a lucky shot? Stings, but oh well. We went 40-0. Top that.

It would’ve been the crown jewel of our kingship. There would’ve been no debate. UK IS College Basketball. . . And the Dukies and UNCheats of the world would have no CHOICE but to bow down before us. Cal would’ve cemented his legacy at UK and would be talke about as the best coach in college history. . . .

Great points! Agree that had we won that game and eventually the Title, much would be different today.

It is partially because of that loss in 2015 that UK fans were so vocal after the 2017 loss to UNC. No longer could the common denominator of 2005, 2011, 2015 AND 2017 be ignored. Stats don’t lie. Far too many “what ifs” for my liking.

Reactions: downw/ball-lineD
I think a commitment from Wes Unseld would have made huge impact for UK. I'm not digging through all 5 pages for a previous mention but I find this one rather intriguing.

With enough of these "what if's" we could add to our great past, names like:
- Unseld
- Haskins
- Bird
- Sampson
- Kemp
- Nowitzki
- James
- Rose
- Green

Not to mention championships in 54, 66, 71, 75, 80-84, 97, 04, 10, 11, 14, 15 and probably several more.

I think a commitment from Wes Unseld would have made huge impact for UK. I'm not digging through all 5 pages for a previous mention but I find this one rather intriguing.

I don't want to link several posts, but the following was posted:

Sawnee Cat said:

What if Wes Unseld and / or Butch Beard had picked UK instead of UL.

mktmaker responded:

Even better would have been Clem Haskins choosing UK.

He was a year ahead of Unseld. Perhaps Clem would have been followed by Unseld, and then Beard...

Haskins and Unseld could have been on the Runts. Haskins, Unseld, Dampier, Riley, Conley, et al...

J.P. Scott (our celebrated UK basketball historian) responded:

The thing that people don't seem to recognize is that Haskins likely would have come to Kentucky if UK had been able to recruit him sooner. As it was the school didn't announce that their sports programs were open to all races until May 1963. The previous month at the April 2 Trustees meeting the issue was discussed and it was agreed to recommend that the athletics programs at the school be opened.

As part of this the school sent out questionairres to their fellow SEC members to determine their reaction to such a move (with varied responses). It wouldn't be until May 29th that the school formally announced that its sports teams were open to all races.

In the meantime, Clem Haskins had signed in April 28th his intention to play for the University of Louisville. (Haskins would later became homesick and end up transferring to Western Kentucky).

FWIW, I agree that if Haskins had signed to play with UK (and importantly if they were able to keep him), that would have paved the way for Wes Unseld, then Butch Beard then any number of other great black players from that era. The UCLA dynasty may never have happened.

I don't want to link several posts, but the following was posted:

Sawnee Cat said:

What if Wes Unseld and / or Butch Beard had picked UK instead of UL.

mktmaker responded:

Even better would have been Clem Haskins choosing UK.

He was a year ahead of Unseld. Perhaps Clem would have been followed by Unseld, and then Beard...

Haskins and Unseld could have been on the Runts. Haskins, Unseld, Dampier, Riley, Conley, et al...

J.P. Scott (our celebrated UK basketball historian) responded:

The thing that people don't seem to recognize is that Haskins likely would have come to Kentucky if UK had been able to recruit him sooner. As it was the school didn't announce that their sports programs were open to all races until May 1963. The previous month at the April 2 Trustees meeting the issue was discussed and it was agreed to recommend that the athletics programs at the school be opened.

As part of this the school sent out questionairres to their fellow SEC members to determine their reaction to such a move (with varied responses). It wouldn't be until May 29th that the school formally announced that its sports teams were open to all races.

In the meantime, Clem Haskins had signed in April 28th his intention to play for the University of Louisville. (Haskins would later became homesick and end up transferring to Western Kentucky).

FWIW, I agree that if Haskins had signed to play with UK (and importantly if they were able to keep him), that would have paved the way for Wes Unseld, then Butch Beard then any number of other great black players from that era. The UCLA dynasty may never have happened.

Well...since it's the off-season and we're playin' the ol' iffin' game...

Think about that hypothetical lineup for the 1966 team. As it was, we went 27-2 and national runners-up anyway.

Guards: Clem Haskins, Louie Dampier, Tommy Kron

Forwards: Pat Riley and Larry Conley

Center: Wes Unseld

Three of them had long successful pro careers.

We would have still been short, but we would have been really good!

Here's my long list:

-What if someone guards the baseline against Duke in '92
-What if Mash doesn't foul out against Michigan
-What if Andre Riddick doesn't choke Rasheed Wallace. Team lost composure after that. UCLA probably still wins the ship.
-What if Anderson doesnt go down
-What if Darius Rice signs with us. Early sign that showed that Smith was beginning to lose on the recruiting end.
-What if that Fitch three goes in against UAB. Was a wide open year, Carmelo seized the opportunity.
-What if we hire Cal instead of Billy G and get Rose. Would Cal have been fired? Would we even have been investigated?
-What if Rex Chapman kept his mouth shut before the championship game. Bad vibes around our program before the game started.
-What if someone could score one basket while we had the lead late in the Wisconsin game. Our inability to score put pressure on us and fueled Wisky.
-What if the UNC shot doesn't go in and we win in OT. The winner of that game wins the championship.
-What if Washington doesn't miss 12 free-throws. We would advance to the Final Four and would probably get drilled by Nova if we played them in the ship.

Carmelo won the year before in 2003 with Syracuse. UCONN won the year that we lost to UAB

Reactions: CatColumbia
Everyone is saying what if all the bad things didn't happen..and I agree with almost all of them. But what if some of the good and awesome things that's happened didn't happen. Like, for example, what if we lost to Kansas in the National Title game in 2012..or even worse, what if we lost to Loserville in the Final 4 in 2012 ? Complete nightmares.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT