ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest "What-If" in UK Basketball History

What if John Wooden doesn't announce his retirement on the eve of the 1975 National Championship game.
What if Sam Gilbert had passed away in 1957 rather than 1987. UCLA and Wooden would have been nothing, and UK would have probably won 2 or 3 more championships.

Reactions: Chuckinden
LOL at how out of touch this post is. No coach in any sport anywhere in the word was making anywhere remotely near "millions" at that time.

But, hey, 15K is kinda like "millions", right?

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/04/bear_bryant_made_15000_a_year.html

Yeah...late 1950s. Millions. I’m not sure that number was invented yet. That link is a good one. I suggest anyone looking for bio and history regarding Bear Bryant, and his time before, during and after UK, to check this and other Bama sites.also that s HL article with Bryants team manager
http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/football/article44502018.html

Last edited:
Reactions: mktmaker
What if these players would have signed with UK instead of going directly to the NBA?
1. Darryl Dawkins
2. Shawn Kemp
3. Tracy McGrady
4. Dirk Nowitzki

Or, what if EVERY OAD player in the Cal era stayed just one more year?

What if the NCAA didn’t look the other way when Dook, the Jailhawks , and UNCHEAT were involved in scandals?

What is your biggest "What-If" in UK history? I want a bunch of you to give your what-if...and 3-4 things that would have happened if your condition was met. (Examples - Pitino doesn't leave, Meeks returns for his Senior year, Eddie does not get caught cheating, Etc.)

I'll start

What if John Calipari was hired in 2007 instead of Billy Gillespie?

-Derrick Rose signs with Kentucky
-Everyone important...including Randolph Morris...returns
-Patterson still signs
-Sandy Bell/Calipari make sure Rose's ACT is never an issue

A starting lineup of:
Morris
Patterson
Crawford
Bradley/Meeks
Rose

I think that is a dominant team that could have challenged for the national title. 3 really good seniors with an elite freshman in Rose...oh and PPat was pretty good too BTW. No NIT and No Gardner Webb. Our rise back to the top would have been immediate.

And who knows, by year 2 we could have seen a Tyreke Evans and Jodie Meeks back-court.
The only way Rose’s ACT wouldn’t be an issue is if he never played.

What if we'd given Bear Bryant a caddy and Rupp a watch?

You do realize that UK didn't give Rupp a Cadillac, right?

Link: Rupp, Bear Bryant the Cadillac and the Lighter

Rupp did receive a Cadillac, but it was in 1955 (well after Bryant had already left UK and had started his jokes about receiving a lighter) and it wasn't given by the University, but by school boosters in commermoration of his 25th year as coach at the school.

I've always said that if Bryant had stayed at UK for 25 years, I have no doubt that boosters would have been willing to purchase him a Cadillac as well.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Even better would have been Clem Haskins choosing UK.

He was a year ahead of Unseld. Perhaps Clem would have been followed by Unseld, and then Beard...

Haskins and Unseld could have been on the Runts. Haskins, Unseld, Dampier, Riley, Conley, et al...

The thing that people don't seem to recognize is that Haskins likely would have come to Kentucky if UK had been able to recruit him sooner. As it was the school didn't announce that their sports programs were open to all races until May 1963. The previous month at the April 2 Trustees meeting the issue was discussed and it was agreed to recommend that the athletics programs at the school be opened.

As part of this the school sent out questionairres to their fellow SEC members to determine their reaction to such a move (with varied responses). It wouldn't be until May 29th that the school formally announced that its sports teams were open to all races.

In the meantime, Clem Haskins had signed in April 28th his intention to play for the University of Louisville. (Haskins would later became homesick and end up transferring to Western Kentucky).

FWIW, I agree that if Haskins had signed to play with UK (and importantly if they were able to keep him), that would have paved the way for Wes Unseld, then Butch Beard then any number of other great black players from that era. The UCLA dynasty may never have happened.

Rupp did receive a Cadillac, but it was in 1955 (well after Bryant had already left UK and had started his jokes about receiving a lighter) and it wasn't given by the University, but by school boosters in commermoration of his 25th year as coach at the school.

I've always said that if Bryant had stayed at UK for 25 years, I have no doubt that boosters would have been willing to purchase him a Cadillac as well.
In 1970 UK played Alabama at Tuscaloosa as Manager I drove Rupp to Paul Bryant’s
Home for dinner.On the way back I asked Coach about the Caddy/lighter story He replied”do you believe it?”I said “I was born in1951 I really don’t know”
He answered “What did Paul ever do to deserve a lighter “ draw your own conclusions

Yes. I understand it's not true, but does accurately illustrate the misplaced greater emphasis on bball at Ky. He stayed long enough and was successful enough to earn his caddy. He was overshadowed and he knew it. (unfortunately)

If I could change history, that's one thing I would have changed. Today, we might or might not have a Rupp Arena but we would have had a Bryant Stadium.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Yes. I understand it's not true, but does accurately illustrate the misplaced greater emphasis on bball at Ky. He stayed long enough and was successful enough to earn his caddy. He was overshadowed and he knew it. (unfortunately)

If I could change history, that's one thing I would have changed. Today, we might or might not have a Rupp Arena but we would have had a Bryant Stadium.
I’ve always said..Rupp wasn’t a racist..but he was an ass

Kentucky is a basketball school and was when Bryant was here the fact that fewer schools in Kentucky played HS football compared to basketball is part of the cause for the difference in interest

Says you who never met Coach Rupp :( He was a generous Christian man who helped many without fanfare.He was full of himself but with his accomplishments he had a right to be.Let the dead RIP.
how do you know I never met him?

Last edited:
Kentucky is a basketball school and was when Bryant was here the fact that fewer schools in Kentucky played HS football compared to basketball is part of the cause for the difference in interest
The reason Ky is different from the rest of the country re: bball vs Football is because of the large number of small, poor high schools. They couldn't afford Football nor did they have sufficient enrollment to have teams. bball was the primary sport not by choice but caused by circumstances.

What is your biggest "What-If" in UK history? I want a bunch of you to give your what-if...and 3-4 things that would have happened if your condition was met. (Examples - Pitino doesn't leave, Meeks returns for his Senior year, Eddie does not get caught cheating, Etc.)

I'll start

What if John Calipari was hired in 2007 instead of Billy Gillespie?

-Derrick Rose signs with Kentucky
-Everyone important...including Randolph Morris...returns
-Patterson still signs
-Sandy Bell/Calipari make sure Rose's ACT is never an issue

A starting lineup of:
Morris
Patterson
Crawford
Bradley/Meeks
Rose

I think that is a dominant team that could have challenged for the national title. 3 really good seniors with an elite freshman in Rose...oh and PPat was pretty good too BTW. No NIT and No Gardner Webb. Our rise back to the top would have been immediate.

And who knows, by year 2 we could have seen a Tyreke Evans and Jodie Meeks back-court.
No debate here... Pitino stays we are a Dynasty overtaking UCLA...

The reason Ky is different from the rest of the country re: bball vs Football is because of the large number of small, poor high schools. They couldn't afford Football nor did they have sufficient enrollment to have teams. bball was the primary sport not by choice but caused by circumstances.
No excuses now, I suppose.

Reactions: ram1955
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT