ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn seems to know how to defend

Defeated Ark 28, A&M by 11 holding them to 55, up 20 on LSU as I type. Cats squeaked by Gators. Struggled against State before pulling away late and gave up nearly 100 to A&M in. Loss.
Well UK will have no problem scoring on Auburn, I guarantee you that.

The problem is UK will give up just as many points if not more.

And for whatever it's worth, TAMU missed open shot after open against Auburn earlier this week.

Auburn’s team is senior laden, so they’ve gone through several years of learning defense at the collegiate level. Transitioning from HS offense to collegiate offense is much, much simpler than defense. That’s our biggest issue right now. All the talent in the world, but these guys don’t understand how to play defense at the next level. They’re too young. Auburn’s D is legit

Remember we are young. I think we only lose reeves and whomever transfers or declares. I yhink we get better as the year progresses.

Think of how namy points we lost today around the rim. Burks missed one I could have made and several others also. One more FT from Reed, we win in regulation. Lotsa wouldas, couldas and shouldas. If anyone thinks we should be undefeated, you are a bit optimistical.imo...We'll win our share, but remember A & M was picked 2nd behind Auburn by some writers,

Go Cats..

Is this what we are paying a coach 10 million a year to do?
I was watching espn the other day and they were talking about whether or not Mike Tomlin should be fired as the head coach. SAS who I’m not a fan of at all said something though that made me think of KY.
He said he’s talked to a lot of GM’s of professional sports teams and Jerry West in particular, but they all tell him that the worst place to find yourself as a franchise is a mediocre middle of the road team. Because you’re not bad, and you’re not good. If you’re bad you know you need changes. If you’re good then all is well.
It seems we’ve had several years of bad to mediocre teams. And some seem to be fine with it. I hope the end of season results change this season.

Reactions: TNCatfanforever
Piss off Denim
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Reactions: jrm693
Not looking forward to playing on the road in the SEC this year with all these youngsters on our team. Wouldn’t be suprised if our road trip at Auburn is our worst regular season loss of the year.

Best thing that happened today is what happened today. Major learning experience.

Best thing that happened today is what happened today. Major learning experience.
Let’s hope so! We definitely have some things to learn about defense and rebounding. I just don’t think we can make up the ground we need to by the tournament. Hope this team proves me wrong in a big way. I think if we make a final four run it will probably have to be on our offense.

Our defense probably won't ever be elite. It also doesn't have to. It just has to be better than it is now.

The last 3 or 4 years have taught us that we're not going to score 80 or 90 every games. So our defense has to be elite. This year, our offense is elite.

People have said all kind of things about "how you win" on this board. Well, you have to score points. Well you have to keep the other team from scoring points. Ultimately, at the end of the day, you just need more points than the other team. If our offense is so elite, and our defense is just good enough--you still win. If our offense is trash but the defense is so elite--you still win.

Someone is going to come in here and act clever. "LOL you obviously don't know that every national champion since 1684 finished in the Kenpom top 30 in both offense and defense."

What I know is there are multipole instances of teams NOT being ranked top 30 in both on selection Sunday. Teams drastically improved their Kenpom ratings during a 6 game winning streak vs NCAA Tournament level competition.

We have a big man problem. Onyenso is great defending in the post and as a rim defender but can't move his feet to help defend ball screens up top. Bradshaw can't defend period. Neither can rebound although onyenso is much better.

If Oscar somehow came back, this team would've been a cinch lock for final four. As it stands, lack of a big man will be what costs us in March.

We have a big man problem. Onyenso is great defending in the post and as a rim defender but can't move his feet to help defend ball screens up top. Bradshaw can't defend period. Neither can rebound although onyenso is much better.

If Oscar somehow came back, this team would've been a cinch lock for final four. As it stands, lack of a big man will be what costs us in March.
Oscar? People wanted him gone, he clogged the middle like UGO does now but he would be averaging around 15 boards a game

Reactions: Rockfly78
Oscar? People wanted him gone, he clogged the middle like UGO does now but he would be averaging around 15 boards a game

I get it plus who knows if he would've accepted a lessor offensive role. It also didn't help that we didn't have Welch and was stuck in cals old offense.

All that said, cal needs to change it up defensively. Go zone at times or switch up the pick and roll coverage, because our big guys can't just switch. It's like shouting into the void, because he never changes it even with big men who can't switch.

Defeated Ark 28, A&M by 11 holding them to 55, up 20 on LSU as I type. Cats squeaked by Gators. Struggled against State before pulling away late and gave up nearly 100 to A&M in. Loss.
Cal has never been a defensive coach, I say that because he teams don't play good team man to man defense. Man to man is more than just one guy guarding the other guy. There is a team concept to man to man and I have never seen it employed by a Cal team with the exception of using a great shot blocker. A great shot block make everything look much better than it is. This team has one decent shot blocker but not a great shot blocker.

• Haha
Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Oh joy. Sweaty Pearl and KD “I’m the best mfer ever to exist” Johnson leading the way.

Sports effing suck these days.
Holster those thoughts as we ain't played yet. But I get the apprehension. We need to grow up on D in a major hurry. Cal's teams used to hang their hats on solid defense. We've seriously lacked in that department the last few seasons.

Reactions: bbncal02
Plan,practice,execute.The ABCs of successful basketball on both side of the ball.From watching our games,where would you say our emphasiss lies in all 3.

Remember we are young. I think we only lose reeves and whomever transfers or declares. I yhink we get better as the year progresses.

Think of how namy points we lost today around the rim. Burks missed one I could have made and several others also. One more FT from Reed, we win in regulation. Lotsa wouldas, couldas and shouldas. If anyone thinks we should be undefeated, you are a bit optimistical.imo...We'll win our share, but remember A & M was picked 2nd behind Auburn by some writers,

Go Cats..
I bout blew a gasket when Edwards missed a point blank shot right before halftime. He hit the backboard so hard it missed the rim, or barely grazed it when all he had to do was dunk it.

You’re nuts, Oscar comes back, he clogs the lane and we’re way worse.

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT