ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic article by K. Tucker just posted

Oh I wasn’t saying that. Just the moderating of the site since today was so nuts and not in a good way.
Oh yeah, but I get it. People are upset. Today was nuts. Sharpe's statement slowed down some of the anger but not much. I'm not surprised. I'm upset about it all myself.

Reactions: SosaUK87
Well, I'm not buying that the handler is the one the blame. That guy can't make Sharpe declare without his agreement. He doesn't make the final decisions for Sharpe. So, if he was saying as far back as last fall that there is no plan for Shaedon to play for UK, then that was the plan.

Now, other than this, the only problem I have here is the conspiracy theory that says Cal knew all the way back to the fall that Sharpe was going to the NBA. I see no logical or rational reason why Cal would have brought the kid to UK while KNOWING he would never play a minute. And the reason I say this is in full display today, on this board and nationally- Cal is the laughing stock right now, a national joke, a punch-line. Why would he intentionally perpetrate this deception on UK, on BBN, and on the team? He gets ZERO benefit.

So, my thought is this: if this is all true and this has been the plan all along, to screw UK over and use them to just get into the NBA, Cal isn't the villain here. Shaedon, his family, and his handler are all villains here. If we fault Cal here, and I do, it's for being gullible enough to fall for this. If the kid has been projected a lottery pick, he's gone. I just don't believe Cal knew and was in on it. I think that is a conspiracy born out of anger and bitterness.

That's my 2 cents.
Cal should have insisted Sharpe play this past year.

"One scout for a team in this year’s lottery believes there was never a plan for Sharpe to actually play at Kentucky. The scout says he spoke to Washington as far back as the fall and Washington confirmed that Sharpe would be in the 2022 draft."

So there you have it, gentlemen. The NBA knew Sharpe was going pro, but Cal, who talks to the same scouts weekly, didn't know?

Your response @MdWIldcat55 , @Sejonesy , @SpamburgerHamburger , @Lempface , etc.?
Save your breath.....they are so far gone it's no use

Reactions: Catfan2226
"One scout for a team in this year’s lottery believes there was never a plan for Sharpe to actually play at Kentucky. The scout says he spoke to Washington as far back as the fall and Washington confirmed that Sharpe would be in the 2022 draft."

So there you have it, gentlemen. The NBA knew Sharpe was going pro, but Cal, who talks to the same scouts weekly, didn't know?

Your response @MdWIldcat55 , @Sejonesy , @SpamburgerHamburger , @Lempface , etc.?
Why do you keep assuming Cal didn't know? The NBA knew, we all knew. He knew, but can't say that publicly. Like I've said before, when Sharpe and his family are all telling you they are coming back, that's what you have to go with. Cal couldn't come out and say at press conference, "I know Shaedon is leaving even though he says he's not". That would just screw the .001% chance he was going to stay and calling out players in the media is never going to be something Cal does. The Athletic article even has quotes from the handler guy from October last year saying Shaedon hasn't even graduated yet. But all the sudden now he had last May?

I'm not minimizing how bad all this is and looks, but there are some common sense things you refuse to acknowledge. The criticism on Cal is taking him in the first place, and hyping him up several times knowing he wasn't going to play. Sounds like Cal and the family wanted him to play when Tyty and Wheeler went out and this handler stopped it.

Reactions: westerncat

Fisher agrees with you guys …as a young child growing up I was always of the mindset sports pages and writers were gospel …sometimes it’s hard to figure out who’s telling the truth …but when an issue arises you always gotta listen to both sides …compelling argument made by the Cal critics

Reactions: RunninRichie
Why do you keep assuming Cal didn't know? The NBA knew, we all knew. He knew, but can't say that publicly. Like I've said before, when Sharpe and his family are all telling you they are coming back, that's what you have to go with. Cal couldn't come out and say at press conference, "I know Shaedon is leaving even though he says he's not". That would just screw the .001% chance he was going to stay and calling out players in the media is never going to be something Cal does. The Athletic article even has quotes from the handler guy from October last year saying Shaedon hasn't even graduated yet. But all the sudden now he had last May?

I'm not minimizing how bad all this is and looks, but there are some common sense things you refuse to acknowledge.
Cal called out Ryan Harrow in the media. Remember that? He was the one who "hijacked" the program. He also said Vanderbilt's circle wasn't complying with a return-from-injury timeline. He also threw Askew and company under the bus last year when he said we lacked point guard play.

So yes, he has thrown players under the bus before.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Thanks ucatz12 …man that Washington mentor guy played a big role in this debacle …very detailed story …super interesting
And now Cal is recruiting Robert Dillingham, who has an ex-felon as a handler. Who moved Dillingham cross country to enroll in Kanye's unaccredited high school without Dillingham's father knowing about it.

I don't think this helps his image at all. Maybe I'm wrong. I think it makes him look gullible and foolish. I don't think he's a victim, though. He played the game. He at least had to know the risks when he's recruiting the #1 player and a projected lottery pick. I just don't think he is the primary one to blame here. I don't think he knew Sharpe leaving was a foregone conclusion. I think he hoped Sharpe would keep his word and play next season. Was that naive? Yes. Was it foolish? Yes. Was it malicious? No.
Cal is many things, naive is not one of them.

Hubris is what put Cal in the position he is in right now and lessons in humility don't come cheap.

Regardless of what Cal thought or didn't think, Cal should have put this kid on the court this year and if Sharpe refused, then told him sorry, I need players, someone else needs that uniform more than you right now, and cut him loose.

This article, if true, has Cal answering to Washington, and hiding behind players first isn't going to erase that.

He is the coach of Kentucky (for now). Somewhere along the way, he has forgot what those obligations are.

Kyle Tucker helped lie and run cover for Shaedon and Cal through the early parts of the saga.

So **** the lying brown noser Kyle Tucker too. He knew Sharpe was eligible before Givony and helped maintain the lie and keep it a secret.
That wouldn’t surprise me at all. He is a flaming Lib.

Reactions: JimboBBN
My response is exactly what Kyle said on Twitter where he linked the article. It was a bad handler. Not Cal or Sharpe to blame.

I can hold Sharpe accountable too, see decision about your future are made by you at the end of the day. Self accountability is a thing still. Even though most don’t use it anymore.

It's becoming more and more obvious that Sharpes camp had no intention of ever playing here. Enough of this player first program crap that no longer works. The best thing that Cal could do is come out apologize for the six months of lies that he and the Sharpe camp kept feeding about the program. It obviously wasn't helping recruiting telling everyone that Sharpe was 100 percent committed to playing here in 2022-2023.

I didn't think Sharpe would ever play here, but his selfishness took the focus off the kids out there having a great season and put it on a kid just sitting over there cashing NIL checks while waiting on the NBA draft.

Cal's players first mantra has backed him into a corner. He's gone all in on it so he has to eat a bit ole turd sandwich on this and smiling while he does it. He has no choice but to say he'd do it over again because anything else will show this whole thing has been a sham with him from day one. He's left hoping the NBA shows some integrity and questions Sharpes documentation. Maybe he can get the Chinese government to tell the NBA what to do like Washington did to him.

Nope. Not buying it, Kyle.

Why does Tucker deemphasize the fact that Cal still went out -- after supposedly getting shut down by Washington and after receiving news that Sharpe would "test" the NBA draft waters -- and tell BBN he was going to "lead us" next season?

That's the part that pisses me off.

Also, Tucker's sources are on the coaching staff. Of course they're going to shield Sharpe and his family. It's naive to believe that some handler had more sway than Sharpe's own family, or even Sharpe himself.

Tucker was fed some deflection slime from the Kentucky coaching staff to protect the kid. Tucker has a vested interest to run with the story that they fed him (notice how the story shields both Calipari and the Sharpes?). It was a collective decision for Sharpe not to play, and Cal joined hands as they sang their "we shall not be moved" closing hymn song.
KT is an extension of the SID office. He offers cover like this in exchange for a tidbit every now and then.

xhggjuO.png

If
For a coach who claimed he'd "never be held hostage again", that sure does look like a Heat level robbery.

tumblr_ngxt83C4F01r04g55o1_500.gifv
If that's true he should have kicked him off the team immediately! Your at our university your taking full advantage of the cars etc ....then you say you ant playing GTFO should have been cals words!!!

THIS is the year his 2 freshmen better be as good or better than advertised, if they have a Clarke, Boston type season team will Struggle.
I do agree with that but those guys are put vipers they are tough hard nosed kids who I would be shocked to see them struggle like Boston and clarke...

Sorry, but this doesn’t absolve Calipari of blame. Surely if Washington was telling the NBA people something different than what he was telling UK, surely Calipari heard about it. He was not caught completely off guard by any of this.
And if Cal really didn't know and NBA people did- then Cal has no real NBA contacts. And I just don't believe that. When he doubled down on "Shaedon will lead us next year" is when he should have leveled with us and come clean.

Reactions: Girthang

I really don't care and was over it when Cal said he wasn't playing early in the spring semester.

Cal knew, Sharpe knew, his parents knew, and the only people that didn't know were those that pretended not to know or believed Cal.

The bottom line though is that he'd have been somewhere else practicing and taking someone else's developmental minutes, but also making better those he played against in practice. Is it unethical? Sure. Is it selfish? Sure. Other than that, clicking on links about Sharpe or talking about it on social media as a UK fan is rewarding the unethical behavior.

Tune it out

Cal's players first mantra has backed him into a corner. He's gone all in on it so he has to eat a bit ole turd sandwich on this and smiling while he does it. He has no choice but to say he'd do it over again because anything else will show this whole thing has been a sham with him from day one. He's left hoping the NBA shows some integrity and questions Sharpes documentation. Maybe he can get the Chinese government to tell the NBA what to do like Washington did to him.

Cal used to talk of a principle of sorts that would have fixed this situation IMO. He used to say that the season was when players but each other/the team first and the off season is when it becomes about them as individuals. Sharpe didn't abide by this at all (isn't the first Cal has had to ignore it).

I don't blame Cal for taking Sharpe but he should have made it clear that if Sharpe refuses to play - then he's gone. Simple as that. You can say "what if he went to Duke instead" but IMO Cal sacrifices the culture here when he lets himself/the team get taken hostage. Let him go to Duke (or wherever) and if he plays, he plays. Make it clear to the public that he'll only take players that are willing to help the team if called upon.

Also, this is very much on Sharpe just as much as any handler/family/etc. He's an adult who sat on the bench knowing full well that fans were being misled. His silence does prevent him from being the one who was lying through commission but not omission. He lied too.

Reactions: CrimsonCats

I remember after that season with wall and cousins, cal said he dealt with some things (concerning handlers) he'd never deal with again. Seems like that held pretty well while things were good.

Fast forward to two years ago. Cal sells his soul to get Boston and Clarke including letting Boston have an all access camera crew follow him around while giving half ass effort and pumping out never ending contested threes.

Then last year it got even worse with Sharpe.

Cal went from Don to desperation with some massive quickness

Cal used to talk of a principle of sorts that would have fixed this situation IMO. He used to say that the season was when players but each other/the team first and the off season is when it becomes about them as individuals. Sharpe didn't abide by this at all (isn't the first Cal has had to ignore it).

I don't blame Cal for taking Sharpe but he should have made it clear that if Sharpe refuses to play - then he's gone. Simple as that. You can say "what if he went to Duke instead" but IMO Cal sacrifices the culture here when he lets himself/the team get taken hostage. Let him go to Duke (or wherever) and if he plays, he plays. Make it clear to the public that he'll only take players that are willing to help the team if called upon.

Also, this is very much on Sharpe just as much as any handler/family/etc. He's an adult who sat on the bench knowing full well that fans were being misled. His silence does prevent him from being the one who was lying through commission but not omission. He lied too.
its not like we aren't losing good players to Duke anyways.

The people that are saying that must believe its more important to get a #1 ranked recruit than to actually utilize him.

What did it hurt to have him come here?

That isn't the question. What did we gain by letting him make a mockery of Kentucky's program? We'd all be laughing at Duke getting played like this had he gone, and we'd be thankful we didn't prioritize OAD over the program. The Cal defenders would be leading the charge in saying that about Duke.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
I miss the days when parents held authority over their kids, not some “handler”.
These kids are nothing more than a cash cow to the parents in a lot of cases. My daughter teaches in inner Memphis and parental involvement is non existent unless it comes to sports. They are just hoping the kids can play pro ball and support mom and/or dad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT