ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Cal playing Edwards too much

Here is the deal...bigger picture.

1. If we fall short this season...and Edwards goes onto NBA, Gleague, overseas, etc...next year. Fans will point to his preferential treatment as a reason (fair or not....maybe playing Reed a ton more would have made a difference...maybe not).
2. But Cal has created another season marred by his stupid roster/playing time managements.
- Edwards this year
- 2023 Wheeler debacle last year
- 2022 ....pretty chill year but not playing Hopkins more on some weighs in
- 2021...disaster season. Playing Boston to endless shots missed was absurd coaching
- 2020....Went fine in the end but playing Whitney so much over the first part of year was silly

This list goes on and on....and Cal's playing high rated HS kids shows his agenda and a growing piece of fanbase is fed up.

Eh...while it may have taken a while in the past, Cal has never had a problem benching guys (or at least having them come off the bench as opposed to starting) who aren't producing as expected. Did it with Quade Green, did it with Khalil Whitney.

I think the difference with Edwards (and this is just my guess) is that he is showing out in practice. I am assuming the coaches are all seeing what he is capable of during the week, but for whatever reason, it is not translating to the actual game. He just looks beyond lost.

I would anticipate Cal to give Edwards a few more games, and if something doesn't happen, will pull the plug and have Adou start.

Eh...while it may have taken a while in the past, Cal has never had a problem benching guys (or at least having them come off the bench as opposed to starting) who aren't producing as expected. Did it with Quade Green, did it with Khalil Whitney.

I think the difference with Edwards (and this is just my guess) is that he is showing out in practice. I am assuming the coaches are all seeing what he is capable of during the week, but for whatever reason, it is not translating to the actual game. He just looks beyond lost.

I would anticipate Cal to give Edwards a few more games, and if something doesn't happen, will pull the plug and have Adou start.
I hope you're right. Another addition to your list, and to give Cal credit, he also stopped starting Skal later in the 2015-2016 season.

At least you said you were speculating or guessing. I really doubt he is doing these amazing things in practice. I don't think they scrimmage to this super great intensity so I am sure he gets buckets here and there but everyone probably does. Besides that, it is apparent that he isn't doing sqaut in games. It is much more likely that Cal is just being loyal to him because he is one of his high rated guys according to the ranking systems.

Reactions: NociHTTP
He's going against one of the absolute worst defenses in the country in practice daily, which could be a reason why he'd look so good in practice.

Is thiero ever gonna play?

At least you said you were speculating or guessing. I really doubt he is doing these amazing things in practice. I don't think they scrimmage to this super great intensity so I am sure he gets buckets here and there but everyone probably does. Besides that, it is apparent that he isn't doing sqaut in games. It is much more likely that Cal is just being loyal to him because he is one of his high rated guys according to the ranking systems.
Oh I agree, Cal is definitely loyal to a fault...but at some point he will pull the plug on Edwards if he continues playing this poorly.

It takes him way too long, but he will do it eventually.

I know that he swears that he never does it. But Edwards and Wagner both were rumored that they may go somewhere else for while. They were our top 2 recruits. I am convinced at this point that he promised both that if they came, that they would start every game and also after halftime.

I’ve given Cal a little grace as he hasn’t previously rode us into the ground with Edwards and Thiero being down. But you cant play a guy 23 minutes who gives you nothing. Hell put Burkes in. See what happens.

I mean NINETEEN different lineups that played only a minute a piece. That’s border on literal insanity even for Cal. That reeks of “Oh crap. I don’t know what to do. Guess I’ll fling poo at a wall and see what sticks.”

Almost anyone of us could’ve done better than that Tuesday.

Oh I agree, Cal is definitely loyal to a fault...but at some point he will pull the plug on Edwards if he continues playing this poorly.

He just needs one decent game to be in the lineup for the rest of the year.

From the sound of that article it certainly doesn’t sound like it. You can’t just keep playing a guy 20 minutes/night hoping he has a break through. We are 11 weeks in since our first game, we have 7 weeks left until our last game. Edwards has not only not improved since the beginning of the season, he has actually gotten worse which I’m sure has to do with his confidence level as just nothing is working for him. Cal can say “guess what, others will play in front of you” all he wants but he actually has to play others in front of Edwards and so far he hasn’t really done that. Any other coach probably would have had him coming off the bench a good 8 games ago to see if that sparked anything different but heaven forbid cal try anything different.

I've said since the beginning riding out Wagner and Edwards was the right play, and if by mid January neither had come along their minutes should be phased out and decreased. At this point Wagner is fine, two games ago he went for 18 and 10 with only 2 turnovers on 75% shooting. His last handful of games before South Carolina as a whole have been good games.

Edwards is a different story. His minutes had been starting to decrease until South Carolina. He'd been averaging 17.8 mpg over his last nine compared to 27.75 mpg in the previous eight. It was back up to 23 last game, but minutes wise he had been on the decline.

At this point he seems completely lost and scared on offense. Soft at the rim and doesn't look explosive at all. He'll wait for a wide open 3 to come his way, but hasn't given us much more than that. There were a few plays against South Carolina where someone passed him the ball and it looked like he'd made the decision to pass it to someone else before he already got it. And it wasn't a quick touch pass to an open shooter, it seemed like a Ben Simmons "I'm scared to have the ball" type of pass.

If he's going to have a niche on this team it'll be as a lock down defender. Who knows if he can get there, there is a lot of season left. Hopefully a lightbulb goes on somewhere in his head. Maybe he needs to sports physiologist from Ted Lasso.

Shocking he even averages 8.1/3.9. Seems like much less than that. He turns the ball over a ton as well.
I bet those numbers go way down if you just use his SEC numbers. The kid just isn’t aggressive enough on offense and he is soft on defense. USC was ISOing him no matter who he was guarding and they either scored or drew a foul.

He hates contact which negates his biggest asset which is a rebounder and putback man.

If it was just one area of his game, it wouldn’t be that bad, but it is EVERY phase of his game.

Last edited:
Easy there tiger, let’s try not to get offended over every single thing today? Sound good? 😊
Skippy, you couldn't offend your way out of a wet paper bag. Stick to lurking and clicking the occasional emote, it's about the top level of your intellectual capacity. No reason to continue embarrassing yourself with attempted e-peen condescension web-fu. You're just not good at it. KTHXBAI

Skippy, you couldn't offend your way out of a wet paper bag. Stick to lurking and clicking the occasional emote, it's about the top level of your intellectual capacity. No reason to continue embarrassing yourself with attempted e-peen condescension web-fu. You're just not good at it. KTHXBAI
Lookin like Matt Damon vs Jimmy Kimmel 2.0; I'm get me some popcorn!

• Haha
Reactions: CB3UK
I've said since the beginning riding out Wagner and Edwards was the right play, and if by mid January neither had come along their minutes should be phased out and decreased. At this point Wagner is fine, two games ago he went for 18 and 10 with only 2 turnovers on 75% shooting. His last handful of games before South Carolina as a whole have been good games.

Edwards is a different story. His minutes had been starting to decrease until South Carolina. He'd been averaging 17.8 mpg over his last nine compared to 27.75 mpg in the previous eight. It was back up to 23 last game, but minutes wise he had been on the decline.

At this point he seems completely lost and scared on offense. Soft at the rim and doesn't look explosive at all. He'll wait for a wide open 3 to come his way, but hasn't given us much more than that. There were a few plays against South Carolina where someone passed him the ball and it looked like he'd made the decision to pass it to someone else before he already got it. And it wasn't a quick touch pass to an open shooter, it seemed like a Ben Simmons "I'm scared to have the ball" type of pass.

If he's going to have a niche on this team it'll be as a lock down defender. Who knows if he can get there, there is a lot of season left. Hopefully a lightbulb goes on somewhere in his head. Maybe he needs to sports physiologist from Ted Lasso.
This is where I am at, too. I got no problem with Wagner, I’m usually confused when he gets so much flak. He did not play well at SC, but no one did that game. He did some solid things before that game.

Edwards just looks lost most of the time. He hasn’t had any wow moments. I think it’s time to bring him off the bench. It might be good for him to see the pace/style of the game before checking in. I don’t think you give up on him, but he doesn’t need 15-20 mins a game.

I’d also not put Edwards, Bradshaw, and Wagner on the court together.

“Web-fu” 😂

The old keyboard-karate-chop

• Haha
Reactions: Mike-McD

All this because my opinion is different than yours. You’re the one embarrassing yourself my friend, but you’re use to it by now I’m sure

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT