ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Cal playing Edwards too much

Eh...while it may have taken a while in the past, Cal has never had a problem benching guys (or at least having them come off the bench as opposed to starting) who aren't producing as expected. Did it with Quade Green, did it with Khalil Whitney.

I think the difference with Edwards (and this is just my guess) is that he is showing out in practice. I am assuming the coaches are all seeing what he is capable of during the week, but for whatever reason, it is not translating to the actual game. He just looks beyond lost.

I would anticipate Cal to give Edwards a few more games, and if something doesn't happen, will pull the plug and have Adou start.
First, we don't even know when(if) Adou will be back. Second, I don't think we are going to see a time when Edwards dosen't start. Is what it is. These things are all set in stone before the first practice even starts. With Cal it's all based on draft projections.

8dl0ku.jpg

I bet those numbers go way down if you just use his SEC numbers. The kid just isn’t aggressive enough on offense and he is soft on defense. USC was ISOing him no matter who he was guarding and they either scored or drew a foul.

He hates contact which negates his biggest asset which is a rebounder and putback man.

If it was just one area of his game, it wouldn’t be that bad, but it is EVERY phase of his game.
4.7 and 2.5 in 18.7 minutes during conference play

Here is the deal...bigger picture.

1. If we fall short this season...and Edwards goes onto NBA, Gleague, overseas, etc...next year. Fans will point to his preferential treatment as a reason (fair or not....maybe playing Reed a ton more would have made a difference...maybe not).
2. But Cal has created another season marred by his stupid roster/playing time managements.
- Edwards this year
- 2023 Wheeler debacle last year
- 2022 ....pretty chill year but not playing Hopkins more on some weighs in
- 2021...disaster season. Playing Boston to endless shots missed was absurd coaching
- 2020....Went fine in the end but playing Whitney so much over the first part of year was silly

This list goes on and on....and Cal's playing high rated HS kids shows his agenda and a growing piece of fanbase is fed up.
Good Post. My sentiments exactly.

Reactions: susan2361
I've come to dread what Cal will do with our teams each year. He is so inept. I think it's sad that we have the most incompetent coach among the power schools, like Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina. If there's a way to screw up a good game Cal will find it, whether it be with his stupid, illogical lineups, playing players that don't belong on the court, etc. When the heat is on like it was at South Carolina the man goes on Full Tilt and can't get his two basketball brain cells in sync.
He runs a non-productive player for 23 minutes when he has people on the bench who have proved they have helped us.
As illogical as it sounds, It is as if the man knows nothing about basketball even though he has made it his profession.

Last edited:
I bet those numbers go way down if you just use his SEC numbers. The kid just isn’t aggressive enough on offense and he is soft on defense. USC was ISOing him no matter who he was guarding and they either scored or drew a foul.

He hates contact which negates his biggest asset which is a rebounder and putback man.

If it was just one area of his game, it wouldn’t be that bad, but it is EVERY phase of his game.
Edwards has averaged 4.6 points per game over the last 6 games. 101 minutes played.

Thats nearly 17 mins per game at 4.5 ppg.

Wagner 77 points during the last 6 games- 12.8 ppg with 182 minutes played

That’s an average of nearly 12 ppg at 30 mins per game.

Points per minute played- Edwards is .27 per minute.
Wagner is .42 per minute.

As bad as Edwards has played, just saying DJ is not far behind. They tied in offensive efficiency.

Shep 151 minutes with only 54 points.
.35 per minute.
Thats bad. His assists are great/ but he is our best shooter. Either he gets gun shy or is too unselfish. Either way he needs to be better with Reeves.

Wait I'm confused. Other times, especially if they're from KY, you guys say they just need more time, and you guys always have a problem saying he pulls ppl too easily if they make a mistake. We not doing that now?

He's barely playing 10 minutes a game...he's been playing him less and less. I know who starts means the world to you guys, but his time will probably drop even more once theiro comes back. But right now we can't even rebound so going smaller isn't going to help, unless we go to both 7 footers.

Not defending cal or edwards play. Just laughing at the inconsistency

2020....Went fine in the end but playing Whitney so much over the first part of year was silly
Totally false myth that just grows and grows each year. Whitney played 12 minutes a game before he bolted.

Cal also gets killed for not playing Juzang ENOUGH that year even though he was playing behind Maxey and Quickley. Guess what, Juzang averaged the exact same 12 minutes a game.

Wait I'm confused. Other times, especially if they're from KY, you guys say they just need more time, and you guys always have a problem saying he pulls ppl too easily if they make a mistake. We not doing that now?

He's barely playing 10 minutes a game...he's been playing him less and less. I know who starts means the world to you guys, but his time will probably drop even more once theiro comes back. But right now we can't even rebound so going smaller isn't going to help, unless we go to both 7 footers.

Not defending cal or edwards play. Just laughing at the inconsistency
Edwards had two rebounds in 23 minutes. Hardly rebounding and hardly barely playing 10 minutes.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Totally false myth that just grows and grows each year. Whitney played 12 minutes a game before he bolted.

Cal also gets killed for not playing Juzang ENOUGH that year even though he was playing behind Maxey and Quickley. Guess what, Juzang averaged the exact same 12 minutes a game.
He started for UK first 8 games and then off the bench...he was still getting rotation minutes (when Juzang was better)....and after a few DNP...he quit the team like the baby he was.

Cal pulled the trigger pretty early on starting the Dragon :).....but his 5 star boner was clear as day obvious. I would imagine getting past Whitney dunking in warm up line in practice adn actually scrimmage....he was not worthy to start over dudes or even play over Juzang.

1. If we fall short this season...and Edwards goes onto NBA, Gleague, overseas, etc...next year. Fans will point to his preferential treatment as a reason (fair or not....maybe playing Reed a ton more would have made a difference...maybe not).
2. But Cal has created another season marred by his stupid roster/playing time managements.
- Edwards this year
- 2021...disaster season. Playing Boston to endless shots missed was absurd coaching
- 2020....Went fine in the end but playing Whitney so much over the first part of year was silly

This list goes on and on....and Cal's playing high rated HS kids shows his agenda and a growing piece of fanbase is fed up.
In 2020 didn’t Hagans quit or get kicked off for a game at the end of the season? Something happened.

Bench him, it is only hurting the team to play someone not up to par and it has only tanked his draft stock. Who has benefited by him getting over 20 minutes or more in these games? Cal was right on day one when he was hired. He can't hide you here, yet Edwards continues to play as much as anyone and his weaknesses are evident to everyone. They mentioned Skal on KSR yesterday being a top ranked recruit who went to the bench. Same for The Dragon before he left. Edwards isn't special and should not be treated differently. The track record for SFs here has not been great outside of a select few.

Last edited:
At least you said you were speculating or guessing. I really doubt he is doing these amazing things in practice. I don't think they scrimmage to this super great intensity so I am sure he gets buckets here and there but everyone probably does. Besides that, it is apparent that he isn't doing sqaut in games. It is much more likely that Cal is just being loyal to him because he is one of his high rated guys according to the ranking systems.
Not sure why you say you don't think they scrimmage to "this super great intensity". Pretty much every player that has played for Cal here says that the practice scrimmages are more intense than games.

Remember that time Cal played Edwards 29 minutes against Kansas and he scored 1 point? Wonder if the outcome would’ve been different had he played 15 or less.

Not sure why you say you don't think they scrimmage to "this super great intensity". Pretty much every player that has played for Cal here says that the practice scrimmages are more intense than games.
People say things all the time that aren't necessarly true. I guess it is possible but I would surmise that that is mostly just a thing to say and may be true for some parts of the pre-season but doesn't continue all throughout the year.

- Edwards this year

usually twitter, and to a greater extent facebook is a fanboi site for Cal. In years past I'd just shake my head at the level of support. This year though, I'm surprised to see how much discontent there is with Cal's preferential treatment of Edwards. I think Cal realizes it too and is doing his best to temper it making statements like "he can't keep playing Edwards"

narrator: yet he did keep playing Edwards

Don't ask Cal. He says that he has no idea why he isn't playing.
I think some folks need to dial back the expectations for Thiero. He has great hustle/energy, but he’s not a magical defensive stopper and has very limited offensive skills. We can certainly use his motor, but he’s not the key to turning this team around.

I think some folks need to dial back the expectations for Thiero. He has great hustle/energy, but he’s not a magical defensive stopper and has very limited offensive skills. We can certainly use his motor, but he’s not the key to turning this team around.
I don't know Thiero's impact, obviously he has had some moments this season that show potential

I will say when people say "we would have won the game had we had Thiero", I'll just respond with - we don't need Thiero to win any game.

The bigger issue at the moment is there something going on between Cal and him to the extent Cal felt the need to throw some shade about him to the media (note to the people that says Cal never does that to his players)

Last edited:
Eh...while it may have taken a while in the past, Cal has never had a problem benching guys (or at least having them come off the bench as opposed to starting) who aren't producing as expected. Did it with Quade Green, did it with Khalil Whitney.

I think the difference with Edwards (and this is just my guess) is that he is showing out in practice. I am assuming the coaches are all seeing what he is capable of during the week, but for whatever reason, it is not translating to the actual game. He just looks beyond lost.

I would anticipate Cal to give Edwards a few more games, and if something doesn't happen, will pull the plug and have Adou start.

Yeah good point. I think Cal also showed that he's willing to reduce his minutes to almost being a bench player. I trust that we won't see edwards playing 20 unless the situation dictates it, or he comes along.

However.. edwards is NOT of the same ranking as guts like Quade and Whitney. This is a big ticket recruit and he rarely often goes away from them. And with Adou ready to play, I'd really like to see Edwards minutes shrink even more. But will they?

Cal said Wednesday that if Thiero practiced yesterday and today that he would play Saturday at Arkansas. So, idk.

Edwards played 23 minutes at SC. He played 22 minutes at TAMU.

12 minutes vs Georgia, 16 vs MISS ST., 20 vs Mizzou, 13 vs UNC, 18 at Florida.

It looks like we are better off when his minutes stay under 20.

usually twitter, and to a greater extent facebook is a fanboi site for Cal. In years past I'd just shake my head at the level of support. This year though, I'm surprised to see how much discontent there is with Cal's preferential treatment of Edwards. I think Cal realizes it too and is doing his best to temper it making statements like "he can't keep playing Edwards"

narrator: yet he did keep playing Edwards
What Cal says and what Cal does are two different things, always has been, always will be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT