ADVERTISEMENT

Are we any closer to knowing who the starting QB will be?

Why is it that we have a QB battle every single year? I feel like that hurts us more than anything ... that we can't find a QB to lead this team multiple years and it's always "start over" at the most important position.

Reactions: UKUGA
It might be more reasonable and accurate to say we have absolutely no idea yet how the QBs are performing in practice or who is winning the starting job. If someone on this board has actually watched the practices themselves, then please correct me.
It might be even more reasonable to chill out, it's a message board....

Gunnar is a Rs sophomore. So if you don't start as a frosh you suck?
Is that what you think it means?

Stoops' problem is a little bigger than that. He's conservative with a lead or tied or even slightly behind. The only time our offense looks productive is when we are down by 3 TDs. We suddenly seem to have motivation to move the ball. When we are way behind we suddenly seem more open offensive sets. Suddenly we are throwing down field more Suddenly we are not just passing on 3rd and long but also on 1st and 2nd down. I just shake my head and have to wonder what our record would look like if our offense played the same way all the time as it does when we are trailing by a lot.
TB, I totally agree with this. If there is one word to describe CMS's offensive mentality it is "conservative".

Regarding this first game, if the Cats grab a nice early lead I think both QBs play early and often. If for some reason the Cats are nursing a tight lead I have no idea what the QB play situation will be.

Peace

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Since we apparently haven't settled on #1 yet, whoever he is, that QB isn't getting as many 1st Team reps as he would if identified, right? I always thought getting more 1-team reps was a big deal. No?

Reactions: matt_man
Since we apparently haven't settled on #1 yet, whoever he is, that QB isn't getting as many 1st Team reps as he would if identified, right? I always thought getting more 1-team reps was a big deal. No?

I think it is a big deal, but if there is still a battle for that spot, that simply is not yet possible.

Reactions: Chuckinden
You’re right, it is a big deal. But it can change from day to day in an unsettled competition.

Reactions: Patterson Building
It is and if UK continues to have LBs trying to cover WRs, any WR, it's going to be a very long year.

Serious question. Are you wanting them to limit our 2 cbs to play m2m all the time vs 3 or 4 wrs? How does that work exactly?

What if they play man under - is that out? Any zones allowed? You know there are coverages in which the LB trails with the safety over the top which is what that particular play appeared to be.

Had Dort gone for the receiver instead of the ball that would have been a blown up receiver and an incompletion instead of a TD pass.

It is and if UK continues to have LBs trying to cover WRs, any WR, it's going to be a very long year.

Are their defenses that don’t have LBers covering in space on occasion? Even in man to man, LBers sometimes have to cover. How would UK avoid this? In cover-two, the middle often falls on the MLB, right? So, Square will occasionally have to cover TEs and slot WRs. Am I wrong? If we expect to bring blitzing OLBs out of the 3-4, I think our MLB will sometimes find himself in coverage. But, maybe I am wrong.

Square lost inside leverage in the clip. He is a young LBer. I suspect he will learn how to get inside the breaking receiver and stop the WRs momentum.

Why is it that we have a QB battle every single year? I feel like that hurts us more than anything ... that we can't find a QB to lead this team multiple years and it's always "start over" at the most important position.
One and done.......

It's frustrating, for sure. But it's also the case at most other schools too.

Are their defenses that don’t have LBers covering in space on occasion? Even in man to man, LBers sometimes have to cover. How would UK avoid this? In cover-two, the middle often falls on the MLB, right? So, Square will occasionally have to cover TEs and slot WRs. Am I wrong? If we expect to bring blitzing OLBs out of the 3-4, I think our MLB will sometimes find himself in coverage. But, maybe I am wrong.

Square lost inside leverage in the clip. He is a young LBer. I suspect he will learn how to get inside the breaking receiver and stop the WRs momentum.

Word is his lateral quickness is lacking :joy::cheers2:

It might be even more reasonable to chill out, it's a message board....

Is that what you think it means?
No I'm not a fan that believes players don't improve over time. Especially quarterbacks.

What makes you think he won’t give us the best chance to win?
The exact same question can be asked of Terry Wilson. We casual fans have hardly any data to know if Gunnar or Wilson is better. We'll all know in a few weeks way much more.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
No I'm not a fan that believes players don't improve over time. Especially quarterbacks.
Indeed they do improve. To what degree, we'll see. If Gunnar has a 3 yr head start, hasnt won the job once, and can't wrest it from a brand new guy, Im tempering my expectations.

Reactions: UKUGA
The exact same question can be asked of Terry Wilson. We casual fans have hardly any data to know if Gunnar or Wilson is better. We'll all know in a few weeks way much more.
I agree. However, it's probably a moot point.
If whoever gets first crack at it sucks, the other guy will get his chance. I just would give first crack to the guy who's been in the system longer.

Last edited:
I agree. However, it's probably a moot point.
If whoever gets first crack at it sucks, the other guy will get his chance. I just would give crack to the guy who's been in the system longer.
I agree with that...whomever starts if they struggle in first 2 games...I think the next guy will probably be in a better position to get a longer leash.

Reactions: kev69
I will not be surprised if Gran incorporates a 2 QB system.

What intrigues me is the portions of the NFL/Eagles playbook he lifted for this team’s personnel. What does that look like?

I think Terry Wilson probably saw that and it factored into his decision to come to UK.

Oh wait, he has to "win the job."

I keep forgetting. Shame on me.

Self-imposed time-out.

I will not be surprised if Gran incorporates a 2 QB system.

What intrigues me is the portions of the NFL/Eagles playbook he lifted for this team’s personnel. What does that look like?
Elaborate on that, if you have time. It probably isn’t a very popular view here. But I could see Gran use both QBs until such time as one clearly outplays the other. It keeps everyone on their toes. In the meantime, Gran makes teams prepare for both. It could go on for two weeks or two months, depending.

Someone said a team with two QBs has no QB. But Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier don’t believe that.

Reactions: SPECT imaging
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT