ADVERTISEMENT

Are we any closer to knowing who the starting QB will be?

Of course he was looking for an opportunity to play. That doesn't mean he doesn't have to earn it. Any coach would expect him to earn it.

At no point have I suggested, nor has it even entered my mind, that he wouldn't have to earn it, nor that the coaches would not expect him to earn it.

But that doesn't mean that he wasn't careful in his school selection process.

Re sez whomever we start in game 1 will be our quarterback for everysnap following because we will be in dogfights with the worst teams . I'll guess Gunnar because he should know more of the otherplaybook.

• As far as Wlson, he watched last year, and concluded since no one could unseat QB last year, an Stevie had 2 broken wing, and busted wheels, so wasn't impressed with who he had to beat out.

Reactions: UKUGA
[QUOTE="Pickle_Rick, post: 7073847,

• As far as Wlson, he watched last year, and concluded since no one could unseat QB last year, an Stevie had 2 broken wing, and busted wheels, so wasn't impressed with who he had to beat out.
[/QUOTE]

“Common” meet “sense”

At no point have I suggested, nor has it even entered my mind, that he wouldn't have to earn it, nor that the coaches would not expect him to earn it.

But that doesn't mean that he wasn't careful in his school selection process.
I am sure you are right that Wilson plans to play. It looked to me like Wilson trimmed his list, visited campuses that were finalists, and got to know all the coaches. As you said, that is being careful. During the process, some other coaches finally prioritized other QBs when they couldn’t get a radar lock on what Wilson would decide. So Wilson and UK “fit” in the sense that UK still wanted him at the point when he was ready to decide. Wilson was thorough and careful, because he has been through the recruitment process before.

Now he is in a different process, competing for a job. He has some advantages. He has good size and speed. He was recruited to win the job, if he can win it.

Some say Wilson should be the QB because he is fast. Some say Hoak should be the QB because he knows the offense and makes throws. Nobody except Gran and Hinshaw knows what they are looking for. None of us knows how Wilson and Hoak are performing in practice. Soon, we will.

I am sure you are right that Wilson plans to play. It looked to me like Wilson trimmed his list, visited campuses that were finalists, and got to know all the coaches. As you said, that is being careful. During the process, some other coaches finally prioritized other QBs when they couldn’t get a radar lock on what Wilson would decide. So Wilson and UK “fit” in the sense that UK still wanted him at the point when he was ready to decide. Wilson was thorough and careful, because he has been through the recruitment process before.

Now he is in a different process, competing for a job. He has some advantages. He has good size and speed. He was recruited to win the job, if he can win it.

Some say Wilson should be the QB because he is fast. Some say Hoak should be the QB because he knows the offense and makes throws. Nobody except Gran and Hinshaw knows what they are looking for. None of us knows how Wilson and Hoak are performing in practice. Soon, we will.
Whoever wins the qb job...23.3 ppg will not get us to the so called next level.

No reason or excuse for us not to put more than 23.3 ppg on the board.There are 4 games we should score 40+ UGA and Miss St are probably the 2 best defenses we will face(UGA replaces 8 starters do they not with one being the best LB that ever played there.) If Stoops will keep his foot on the gas instead of getting a 4 point lead and trying to milk the clock.

No reason or excuse for us not to put more than 23.3 ppg on the board.There are 4 games we should score 40+ UGA and Miss St are probably the 2 best defenses we will face(UGA replaces 8 starters do they not with one being the best LB that ever played there.) If Stoops will keep his foot on the gas instead of getting a 4 point lead and trying to milk the clock.

Stoops has a little of that Muschamp in him, they both seem to go conservative with a lead. Muschamp says he has turned a new leaf this year.....we will see. Hopefully for KY Stoops does same. Good post/observation by Doc

I just dont understand the logic these DC minded guys have. At some point they need to be honest with themselves if they dont have the Steel Curtain taking the field for them. What good is it to milk the clock on O if you dont consistently convert 6 in the red zone every trip down, or even get there? All you've done is shot yourself in the foot at more attempts to score throughout the game. Because if your D (our D) can't 3 and out the opposition, what does any of that matter? You've got to be realistic about the tools you have in your toolbox. Deion Sanders and Ray Lewis arent lining up out there for us right now.

I'm all for quick strikes on offense no matter what the defensive philosophy. Score every damn time and as often as you can. Build a defense where its next man up if getting breathers is the overriding concern.

If we avg that il walk around Commonwealth mooning the students section. Hell benny good for 15 touchdowns. We averaged more than that last year with 1 td pass in the last 7 games. I don't think this guy knows wtf he's talking about.

If we avg that il walk around Commonwealth mooning the students section. Hell benny good for 15 touchdowns. We averaged more than that last year with 1 td pass in the last 7 games. I don't think this guy knows wtf he's talking about.
Average was against P5 opponents.

If three years in, Hoak is inconsistent, per scrimmage reports I've read, & not noticeably the best, why stick with him? Only reason I can see is that the others are noticeably worse. Not good imo. To me, coin flip goes to the less experienced. At least they have an inconsistency excuse.

Reactions: southindycat
If three years in, Hoak is inconsistent, per scrimmage reports I've read, & not noticeably the best, why stick with him? Only reason I can see is that the others are noticeably worse. Not good imo. To me, coin flip goes to the less experienced. At least they have an inconsistency excuse.

Stop, already with your glass half full optimism. You can pump any deflated tire with sunshine. All you need is a handful of facts and a cherry disposition.

Stoops has a little of that Muschamp in him, they both seem to go conservative with a lead. Muschamp says he has turned a new this year.....we will see. Hopefully for KY Stoops does same. Good post/observation by Doc
Please tell me you still have the same FG kicker as last year:joy::football:[banana]:boxing::sunglasses::sunglasses:

It was Beadles who I think was really a DB. I was at that game, day after JFK assassination. Cold with rain/sleet/snow. There was really no yelling/cheering by crowd just polite applause. Very somber time and UK appeared they'd rather be anywhere than playing that game.

I was also at that game.

Terry Beadles had played QB his senior year in high school. Played at wing back prior to that. Was a DB at UK initially, think a free safety.

I was also at that game.

Terry Beadles had played QB his senior year in high school. Played at wing back prior to that. Was a DB at UK initially, think a free safety.
Not that is important but Kennedy was shot in 63 and the UT game(after the Houston game) was in 64.I think Beadles is correct UT won 19-3

This is why Im tempering my expectations about Terry Wilson. Gunnar hasnt won the job outright in 3 years, and Terry hasnt set himself apart enough to come in and take it.

This is why Im tempering my expectations about Terry Wilson. Gunnar hasnt won the job outright in 3 years, and Terry hasnt set himself apart enough to come in and take it.
It might be more reasonable and accurate to say we have absolutely no idea yet how the QBs are performing in practice or who is winning the starting job. If someone on this board has actually watched the practices themselves, then please correct me.

Matt Jones on radio - source close to program says if game were tomorrow, Hoak would start and play through. If he were to struggle in the 2H, they would look at Wilson.

I think both QBs should play in the 1st half - maybe a 3-1 ratio on series, but both should play in real game action to see what we have.

Matt Jones on radio - source close to program says if game were tomorrow, Hoak would start and play through. If he were to struggle in the 2H, they would look at Wilson.

I think both QBs should play in the 1st half - maybe a 3-1 ratio on series, but both should play in real game action to see what we have.

This to me would be a mistake. The only way we have a chance to beat UF in the "Swamp" is with a guy like TDT more dynamic can keep plays alive with his legs and gives you a viable threat with RPO. But the staff wouldn't put Hoak in there unless they thought he could win football games. So I will be behind them 100 %

Had to be TW or Clark because Hoak doesn’t have the arm strength to do that.
That could've been any of our QBs..LOL

Tons of people have the arm strength to throw it 40+ yards...the accuracy and ease of the throw is what sets people apart. Hoak has very nice arm talent and a great easy release.

Reactions: DA23_rox
This to me would be a mistake. The only way we have a chance to beat UF in the "Swamp" is with a guy like TDT more dynamic can keep plays alive with his legs and gives you a viable threat with RPO. But the staff wouldn't put Hoak in there unless they thought he could win football games. So I will be behind them 100 %
Hoak would probably be better at the RPO than Wilson. See Nick Foles.

Reactions: entropy13
You seem to think Hoak would be a better decision to start than TDT. Am I correct on that?

I think they should both play early and often in real game scenario and then see who performs best.

If we want to go smash mouth strict read option, I think Wilson would be the correct choice with his tools.

If we want to go more RPO and add quick pass game to our Snell ground game, I think Hoak is the guy. Traditional Gran offense I think Hoak is the guy for that.

I think people give Wilson a little too much hype (which will end up hurting him in long run), so when I counter that it probably looks like I am a hater. I was disappointed in both in the Spring game tbh.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
Matt just said that his source told him that if the first game is tomorrow, Hoak is the starter. Ryan said he 110% agreed with that

Nope.

I still wonder why Terry chose to come here if he’s not going to play.

My hunch is that he’s going to be the starting QB.

I hope the competition helps both players improve, and I hope Terry Wilson helps give us a dynamic offense that will allow us to truly compete each week.
He came here to play. So did Hoak and Clark. You still have to win the job.

Stoops has a little of that Muschamp in him, they both seem to go conservative with a lead. Muschamp says he has turned a new leaf this year.....we will see. Hopefully for KY Stoops does same. Good post/observation by Doc
Stoops' problem is a little bigger than that. He's conservative with a lead or tied or even slightly behind. The only time our offense looks productive is when we are down by 3 TDs. We suddenly seem to have motivation to move the ball. When we are way behind we suddenly seem more open offensive sets. Suddenly we are throwing down field more Suddenly we are not just passing on 3rd and long but also on 1st and 2nd down. I just shake my head and have to wonder what our record would look like if our offense played the same way all the time as it does when we are trailing by a lot.

The more practices that go by without a starter being named has to be positive for TW.
If Gunnar hasn't established himself as the clear leader by now it probably isn't going to happen.

Stoops' problem is a little bigger than that. He's conservative with a lead or tied or even slightly behind. The only time our offense looks productive is when we are down by 3 TDs. We suddenly seem to have motivation to move the ball. When we are way behind we suddenly seem more open offensive sets. Suddenly we are throwing down field more Suddenly we are not just passing on 3rd and long but also on 1st and 2nd down. I just shake my head and have to wonder what our record would look like if our offense played the same way all the time as it does when we are trailing by a lot.
Here, here!!

Spot on - all I ask from our staff is play to win. Now in there mind keeping every game close and not taking chances may be playing to win. Unless you are dominant up front I don't think that will work
]

Reactions: EliteBlue
Gunnar is a Rs sophomore. So if you don't start as a frosh you suck?

I think they should both play early and often in real game scenario and then see who performs best.

If we want to go smash mouth strict read option, I think Wilson would be the correct choice with his tools.

If we want to go more RPO and add quick pass game to our Snell ground game, I think Hoak is the guy. Traditional Gran offense I think Hoak is the guy for that.

I think people give Wilson a little too much hype (which will end up hurting him in long run), so when I counter that it probably looks like I am a hater. I was disappointed in both in the Spring game tbh.

Agree with every single thing in this post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT