ADVERTISEMENT

Are we any closer to knowing who the starting QB will be?

I believe Wilson will have to show some better passing skills, to be better passer than Hoak.
Gran said he's shown to be a good passer. I will take his word for it. Gran generally will say he's a work in progress if somebody is struggling.

Reactions: UKUGA
Even though we haven’t had our first day of fall practice they have been working out all summer. 7 on 7.. and many other live throwing. They get a look at what’s going on and who’s improving over the summer. Now, once fall camp begins and it’s more 11 on 11 and full contact that’s when they will be able to see who will be the best option to win with. I haven’t seen either one so have no opinion who is better. My point is that being a former coach I can just say they have a very good idea who they think is taking the team and leading it..

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
It won't be Barker or anyone else not on the team so there's that.

It won't be Wood or even Clark (unless the injury bug is epic).

It will very likely be Wilson or Hoak, Gunnar or Terry.

Check back in about a month.

I believe TW is the more vocal leader as I have read that GH is very quiet but has improved in that area. But if you're going to be the starter at QB you need to be a vocal leader in the huddle. That just comes with the territory. Guys need someone to lead them. That is where SJ excelled like no other QB I've seen here other than Couch, who had a great presence to him, and not just because of his talent (although I'm sure it helps your cause when you're the best player the school has ever had).

Reactions: The-Hack
Even though we haven’t had our first day of fall practice they have been working out all summer. 7 on 7.. and many other live throwing. They get a look at what’s going on and who’s improving over the summer. Now, once fall camp begins and it’s more 11 on 11 and full contact that’s when they will be able to see who will be the best option to win with. I haven’t seen either one so have no opinion who is better. My point is that being a former coach I can just say they have a very good idea who they think is taking the team and leading it..
this is the most accurate post on the subject,these players haven't been in a vacuum or under a rock since April,the coaches have seen them throw and have some idea what they are looking at.Some here seem to suggest otherwise and take extreme umbrage when someone points out that such information exists.Most of us here on the board don't have any information but some probably do have a fair amount of info.Speculating and asking questions isn't a crime it is one of the things that make a message board interesting.

this is the most accurate post on the subject,these players haven't been in a vacuum or under a rock since April,the coaches have seen them throw and have some idea what they are looking at.Some here seem to suggest otherwise and take extreme umbrage when someone points out that such information exists.Most of us here on the board don't have any information but some probably do have a fair amount of info.Speculating and asking questions isn't a crime it is one of the things that make a message board interesting.

Seriously?!?!? Of course the coaches have opinions but the point is they ain't sharin' that with us until they decide to. Anything else is pure speculation.

But hey, let's start another thread about who's going to be QB or better yet, let's turn every thread into a QB debate. That'd be lovely.

Have said before that QBs can do as much to win a competition during the summer as in the spring. Skellies, timing work with receivers, and just showing leadership and good habits. All important.

Maybe Eddie Gran has an idea who has made the most progress. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe he was making a spontaneous remark that is being overweighed like so many comments are. Some people are resolutely convinced Terry Wilson must be the starter because he is fast and new. Others are convinced Hoak ought to be the QB because he knows the offense, throws on time, and has paid his dues. They won't change their minds.

We will find out soon. If I was MS, I wouldn't give anything away. It would be a game time announcement, and I would use both QBs (maybe even three QBs) against CMU. I am not taking CMU for granted or looking past them. But there will be a week 2. I wouldn't give Todd Grantham more preparation notice than necessary.

Last edited:
Seriously?!?!? Of course the coaches have opinions but the point is they ain't sharin' that with us until they decide to. Anything else is pure speculation.

But hey, let's start another thread about who's going to be QB or better yet, let's turn every thread into a QB debate. That'd be lovely.
The defense of discussion rests Your Honor

It won't be Barker or anyone else not on the team so there's that.

It won't be Wood or even Clark (unless the injury bug is epic).

It will very likely be Wilson or Hoak, Gunnar or Terry.

Check back in about a month.
I like Gunnar Wilson.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
Danny Clark is a stud QB, hope we don't loose him to transfer. Up close observation today and he is a big strong athlete with good speed and the strongest arm I've seen at UK. Would not be at all surprised if he's not the man eventually.

Danny Clark is a stud QB, hope we don't loose him to transfer. Up close observation today and he is a big strong athlete with good speed and the strongest arm I've seen at UK. Would not be at all surprised if he's not the man eventually.
He’s a vocal alpha male type too.

Only 5' 11" but the strongest arm I ever saw at UK belonged to George Mira, and he was on the wrong team------But Rick Norton might have thrown the prettiest spiral, threw it a far piece too.

Clark sounds very interesting, and I think we have a pretty good QB coach, hope he sticks around, could be tough. Sure wish we had got his brother.

I don't pull for Saban much, he doesn't need my help. but I do hope he signs five five stars at Clark's position in the next two classes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT