ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest questions to answer in Spring practice?

1. QB
2. RB

There are installation questions, LBer questions, CB questions, but the two positions in UK’s backfield are most important to me.

As long as he remains injury free I think Vandagriff will be a good SEC QB with the chance to be better than that. UK wasn't the only option he had.

I think most UK fans understand his potential and that he had options. But, now he has to demonstrate it on the field. Spring is his start at being an SEC starting QB.

We know that Leary came with a lot of hype, but do you think he was a top tier SEC QB last season?

On the field is where things are proven.

Offensive line and that one corner spot should concern everybody right now. The fact we are running it back with Ray and Burton at guard and brought in no real replacement, makes zero sense.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Offensive line and that one corner spot should concern everybody right now. The fact we are running it back with Ray and Burton at guard and brought in no real replacement, makes zero sense.
Hopefully, Wolford is a significant step up in teaching/coaching and we won't see so many whiffs and jumping the snap count.

Hopefully, Wolford is a significant step up in teaching/coaching and we won't see so many whiffs and jumping the snap count.
Yenser was so bad that impossible not to improve a lot. The big difference is going to be recruiting. Yenser was a huge negative in that area. The number 1 reason our line has been so bad is due to not having the players.

Yenser was so bad that impossible not to improve a lot. The big difference is going to be recruiting. Yenser was a huge negative in that area. The number 1 reason our line has been so bad is due to not having the players.

I doubt Yenser was as bad as you suggest. But for Woodford being available, Yenser would have been UK’s OL coach. UK was not looking for an OL coach and Yenser just received a new contract. Stoops respecting Woodford is the only reason he cut Yenser loose.

Is Vandergriff the real deal? Will this OC/Stoops get reps for #2? Beau didn't come back to sit.
Beau can't put himself in the game.
He is here as a PFO and as roster depth. He isn't going to play unless significant injuries occur.

Put as much or as little stock in this as you want....

Josh Pate of 247/CBS Late Kick Live last week was going over early CFB Spring Intel reports of different programs And mentioned that people around Kentucky were saying Vandagriff is showing to be what was needed: An SEC level starting QB.

No predicting Heisman winner, or he leads us to 10 wins. But so far, he ain't a flop or a miss.

Josh Pate of 247/CBS Late Kick Live last week was going over early CFB Spring Intel reports of different programs And mentioned that people around Kentucky were saying Vandagriff is showing to be what was needed: An SEC level starting QB.

No predicting Heisman winner, or he leads us to 10 wins. But so far, he ain't a flop or a miss.

Leary also played well in spring practice. I expect Vandagriff will have a good, solid spring practice as well.

Leary had the advantage of multiple seasons of starting experience, but also the disadvantage of having never played in the SEC before. Vandagriff hasn't been starter, but was developed in a national championship program. Vandagriff is bigger and stronger. But maybe the biggest question will be how much our OL improves. That remains to be seen but I think our OL will be better.

Leary also played well in spring practice. I expect Vandagriff will have a good, solid spring practice as well.

Leary had the advantage of multiple seasons of starting experience, but also the disadvantage of having never played in the SEC before. Vandagriff hasn't been starter, but was developed in a national championship program. Vandagriff is bigger and stronger. But maybe the biggest question will be how much our OL improves. That remains to be seen but I think our OL will be better.
What will make our OL so much better with a lot of the same pieces? You think coaching?

How do we know if he is a flop or not? He is yet to start a game at the collegiate level. Every year in spring we hear how good our QB is performing. I hope he is good but a lot of questions.

What will make our OL so much better with a lot of the same pieces? You think coaching?
Another season of experience, more quality depth, and a better position coach. In particular, Jager Burton is an athletic player who needs more strength, and more strength comes with another offseason in the gym. Our 2023 OL was better than our 2022 OL. Every logical reason to believe 2024 will yield another improvement.

Another season of experience, more quality depth, and a better position coach. In particular, Jager Burton is an athletic player who needs more strength, and more strength comes with another offseason in the gym. Our 2023 OL was better than our 2022 OL. Every logical reason to believe 2024 will yield another improvement.
I'm anxious to see the progress of RS freshman Mal Wood at LT. You may recall Coen/Yenser were effusive in their praise of Wood at the end of the year, that Wood had added much needed good weight to his tall, athletic frame and in their view had started a real move up the PT ladder. I think he may have had a few snaps in the last 2 games of the season. Interestingly however, an article on TOS on Spring/OL makes nary a mention of Wood. Still, with the lack of development and subsequent departure of Goodwin and the career ending injury to Nik Hall, production from Wood would be a major plus.

Reactions: Deeeefense

I don't think there has ever been a question about him being an SEC QB. At UGA he just got there and ended up behind a guy who had 2 tremendous seasons. Last spring he was the favorite of many UGA fans, probably around 50%, to be the starter in 23. Reality is he ended up being behind 2 guys who ended up be better than decent QBs.

I'm anxious to see the progress of RS freshman Mal Wood at LT. You may recall Coen/Yenser were effusive in their praise of Wood at the end of the year, that Wood had added much needed good weight to his tall, athletic frame and in their view had started a real move up the PT ladder. I think he may have had a few snaps in the last 2 games of the season. Interestingly however, an article on TOS on Spring/OL makes nary a mention of Wood. Still, with the lack of development and subsequent departure of Goodwin and the career ending injury to Nik Hall, production from Wood would be a major plus.
Lots of injuries on the OL and players that have not developed or kids that don’t want to play football have been very detrimental.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT