ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest questions to answer in Spring practice?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
1. Offensive scheme - pace, QB runs, use of TEs, blocking schemes
2. Who starts where on OL
3. LB corps - who starts where, who will apply pressure on QB
4. Secondary - who steps up, will this group be improved
5. Transfers - in/out after Spring

I'm sure there are several others

I agree wholeheartedly in offense scheme snd adapting to our players is far and away number one

1. Who is CB opposite Max? I don’t trust hardaway or anyone else on that side

2. Who is pass rusher…and don’t sell me on JJ Weaver 10th year. Fearby needs to show up

3. Rb…are we a power back Traynum…or will the Wilcox and explosive kids factor in

4. Oline…I think we know who the starter will be. But is wolford snd Bush going to run inside zone scheme or what?

For the sake of narrowing things down, I just want to know how the QB will perform. I want to see what he can do. I think RBs and WRs are in solid hands. I just want to see passes hitting their mark more often than not and God forbid we have any passes sail – let alone more than five.

I agree wholeheartedly in offense scheme snd adapting to our players is far and away number one

2. Who is pass rusher…and don’t sell me on JJ Weaver 10th year. Fearby needs to show up

3. Rb…are we a power back Traynum…or will the Wilcox and explosive kids factor in

4. Oline…I think we know who the starter will be. But is wolford snd Bush going to run inside zone scheme or what?
I think adaptation to new offense is the first order of business and running back question is second. We have more pieces at LB than we have had in the last couple of years. OL is the eternal question it seems

I agree, especially about whether this will be yet ANOTHER year of TALK about using TEs ... or will we actually and regularly integrate them into our passing attack with 5-10 receptions a game ?? Why not become a school where TEs want to come to ??

Ditto the TE talk.

That's been the X factor, biggest head scratcher, however you want to phrase it for years now.

Do Mark Stoops and Marrow want to modernize their approach to what the TE is and allow that position to be a bigger part of the passing game?

Then does he bow out, go tinker with defense and special teams, and let Hamdan and the passing game coaches take over?

RB. Who gets carries other than Chip, don't forget...he hasn't really been a RB1.

Otherwise, need LB room to step up, big opportunity for young guys there.

1 and 2 are the most important aspects of the defense.

-Outside of Hardaway, who could emerge as the other CB?

-Fearbry really came on at the end of last season, so it would really help the D if he could break out and give us a TRUE pass rush threat OR one of the younger kids comes in ready.

I would just add that We REALLY need to get a lot out of Vandegriff. I'm not worried about the WR's, TE's or RB's because there is a TON of talent at all 3 of those positions and the O-Line is experienced and OLD.

Last edited:
I agree that the O needs to be first, the new O coaches and the new coaches in general... I want to see the O line play come around and play better... I want to see a good pass rush appear this season.... I want to see the D line dominate again like in the 70's... Yes I am old and have watched a lot of bad UKFB, now I want to see a lot of good UKFB... I am old and have a lot of health problem's and it would be great to see a few years of UKFB that is enjoyable...

GBB

Just offense, everything. 3 new QBs, new WR coach, new RBs, new O line coach, new scheme for everyone. An entire reset, anxious to see how quickly the install goes, guys seize starting roles.
Coach Hamdan is really going to have his hands full putting all the pieces together and making it all work, especially since he is new to all the pieces himself. He obviously has great communication skills and his experience which will serve him well.

I would be surprised if we showed much of anything on offense, I expect them to be VERY vanilla on their scheme for the spring game, not wanting to put anything on tape.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

Probably won't see any of these at the spring game. I expect the LB from GA will sit out. I would say at least one starter on the OL is not even on campus yet. Vanilla game plan- just the basics at the game.

1 and 2 are the moist important aspects of the defense.

-Outside of Hardaway, who could emerge as the other CB?

-Fearbry really came on at the end of last season, so it would really help the D if he could break out and give us a TRUE pass rush threat OR one of the younger kids comes in ready.

I would just add that We REALLY need to get a lot out of Vandegriff. I'm not worried about the WR's, TE's or RB's because there is a TON of talent at all 3 of those positions and the O-Line is experienced and OLD.
I wish you hadn't said moist. :)

I agree, especially about whether this will be yet ANOTHER year of TALK about using TEs ... or will we actually and regularly integrate them into our passing attack with 5-10 receptions a game ?? Why not become a school where TEs want to come to ??
With how much difficulty we've had blocking, it was tough to let the TEs leave the line. A great oline fixes a lot of problems.

The biggest question for me is did CMS learn anything from the Clemson loss. Against Mizzou and Clemson we came OUT aggressive and attacking and built leads. Then went ultra conservative, lost the lead and the game Every team I see go prevent gets beat at the end. Not just us.

The biggest question for me is did CMS learn anything from the Clemson loss. Against Mizzou and Clemson we came OUT aggressive and attacking and built leads. Then went ultra conservative, lost the lead and the game Every team I see go prevent gets beat at the end. Not just us.
Clemson converted that consequential third-and-forever on their last drive against a FCS transfer CB who played few meaningful snaps last season. I agree with your larger point - and personally wish Stoops would mix in aggression with prevent - but I think the bowl game was also about protecting the backups after losing at least two corners over the course of the game.

I may be mistaken, but I thought he was here to major in Finance and wants to become a personal financial advisor. ???
One of the football insiders said it on a podcast. It sounded like they spoke to his father or maybe one of the coaches which is why he chose to walk on/pay his own way to sit the bench. Graduating in finance would give him a nice Plan B. He should talk to Brad White who is a finance grad and former investment banker or he could call me. :)

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
He was the CB that gave up most the plays on the final drive of the bowl game. He is far from SEC caliber.
I don’t think he would have played if UK hadn’t lost two corners to injury. Two years ago they liked what they saw with his length but didn’t pan out to regular starter grade.

Mine are . . .

1. Any changes in scheme/style of play on both sides. I know we wont see much shown in Spring but home we get a hint that both sides (Hamden and White) show more aggression.
2. For Hamden that means playing faster, using the QB run, and using the underneath stuff to put pressure on the defense to chase and cover the whole field and not just 3 deep zones.
3. For White that means less zone, more man press coverage and bringing more pressure on the rush. We have to learn our lesson that we just cant sit back against SEC teams and hope to win most of those games. Have to make things happen and dictate more on that side of the ball. Think we have athletes to do that.
4.. Personnel wise I'm looking for what happens at center. Hoping a Koby Keenum can emerge there like Drake did his first real shot at playing and that could set up our Oline to be pretty good keeping Eli at guard etc.
And want to see if guys like Alex Afari, Ty Bryant can take that next step and be stars. Love to see Jordan Lovett reemerge too. Kid had a great Frosh year then backtracked.

Bras White is running Mark Stoops defensive scheme. Just like Matt House before him. There will never be a change.

Stoops believes in zone coverage, not man. Man can be beat for big plays. Wants to limit big plays, make opposing offenses march down the field and have lots of chances to screw up with penalties, turnovers, failing to convert on downs before they get to the end zone.

Bras White is running Mark Stoops defensive scheme. Just like Matt House before him. There will never be a change.

Stoops believes in zone coverage, not man. Man can be beat for big plays. Wants to limit big plays, make opposing offenses march down the field and have lots of chances to screw up with penalties, turnovers, failing to convert on downs before they get to the end zone.
Which is fine as long as we don't play 5+ yards off of every receiver and put little pressure on the QB, giving them plenty of time to find an open man. Basically, that's the way the NFL plays defense, also. It's just that the better teams are able to disguise their coverages, use hybrid man/zone coverages and put pressure on the QB so that they're forcing quick, short throws.

I heard Mark Schlereth once say that, when he was playing, their goal was to have 1 or more 65 yard, multiple play drive per game. If they could do that, they were most likely winning the LOS and controlling the clock. It's unusual for an NFL team to have 10+ play drives multiple times during a game. They want/scheme for big plays. Limit those and your team should be in every game. That's what Stoops' teams strive for, also. The biggest downfall the past couple of years is our secondary wasn't good enough to play tighter coverage and we were not consistently able to put pressure on the QB - a recipe for giving up a ton of 3rd down conversions. While I scream at my TV whenever we go soft/prevent, I understand bringing the house with our mediocre at best secondary is asking for huge plays.

The flaw in the Stoops/White D is they haven't had a Josh Allen since 2019. Sitting in a zone sucks when the qb has forever with no heat to wait for a reciever to find open green space. Not every qb has the ability to be patient and accurate. But most good teams UK plays has one.

I'm afraid that is true. And I understand the last part and it can and has worked out some as a scheme. But I just believe that no Offensive Coordiator or QB likes pressure and would all prefer comfort to pressure and think in todays game you have to create turnovers and mistakes and dictate that more on the defensive end all the time, especially late in games when the other guys are leaning forwards picking up tempo and attacking you.

You aren't wrong. That's for sure. Good list.

I would only add-

6. Who makes the playing chart at WR behind Key and BB?

7. How smooth is Chip Trayanum's transition, and who else makes the RB playing chart?

8. Is Wilson Berry finally healthy, or is the back pain chronic?

The flaw in the Stoops/White D is they haven't had a Josh Allen since 2019. Sitting in a zone sucks when the qb has forever with no heat to wait for a reciever to find open green space. Not every qb has the ability to be patient and accurate. But most good teams UK plays has one.
It's true. But I believe Dumas-Johnson, Brian Robinson, and eventually the Smith twins will change that calculation. I still believe Brian Robinson is Stoops' most important defensive recruit since he took the job. Josh ended up a first team AA, but nobody saw that coming when he was signed. OTOH, Robinson is a prototypical, strong, very high upside SEC edge DL who could even fill out into a DT.

It's true. But I believe Dumas-Johnson, Brian Robinson, and eventually the Smith twins will change that calculation. I still believe Brian Robinson is Stoops' most important defensive recruit since he took the job. Josh ended up a first team AA, but nobody saw that coming when he was signed. OTOH, Robinson is a prototypical, strong, very high upside SEC edge DL who could even fill out into a DT.

JDJ is very good on the inside rush, his only real weakness is in open space. He is good to elite at just about everything else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT