ADVERTISEMENT

Are we any closer to knowing who the starting QB will be?

Only 5' 11" but the strongest arm I ever saw at UK belonged to George Mira, and he was on the wrong team------But Rick Norton might have thrown the prettiest spiral, threw it a far piece too.

Clark sounds very interesting, and I think we have a pretty good QB coach, hope he sticks around, could be tough. Sure wish we had got his brother.

I don't pull for Saban much, he doesn't need my help. but I do hope he signs five five stars at Clark's position in the next two classes.
Glad to see a Norton reference,he doesn't get enough respect,but for the leg injury against Houston that season might have been much different and so could have the direction of UK football.

Gran needed Hoak to have a good Summer and win the battle. Because of his safe style he runs. Now I'm thinking Terry has a shot to win this. Not good news because Hoak needed to put together a good offseason to win this outright.

My guess Hoak will win but we won't know for sure until the day of kickoff.

Glad to see a Norton reference,he doesn't get enough respect,but for the leg injury against Houston that season might have been much different and so could have the direction of UK football.

Talk about lack of depth, that team had several all time greats and literally nothing behind them. Several played both ways.

Yeah, I got in some heated arguments about Norton, threw some beautiful passes and got beat up a lot. I'm not sure who took his place but it was a big dropoff, think it might have been the starting DB, Deaton maybe? The Thin Thirty was pretty accurate.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
If memory serves me correctly, hadn't we already turned down a Gator bowl for the chance to try to get in either the Sugar or Cotton ?

Gran needed Hoak to have a good Summer and win the battle. Because of his safe style he runs. Now I'm thinking Terry has a shot to win this. Not good news because Hoak needed to put together a good offseason to win this outright.

My guess Hoak will win but we won't know for sure until the day of kickoff.
I'm thinking Hoak being "safe" is a bit misleading. The numbers I saw from spring show Terry as the better decision maker which surprised me.

Reactions: UKUGA
If memory serves me correctly, hadn't we already turned down a Gator bowl for the chance to try to get in either the Sugar or Cotton ?

Yeah, and then lost everything when Norton got hurt and Houston upset us.

I have trouble understanding why Terry came here if he’s not going to play.
I think he will play,from his point of view he only had to beat out a guy who had yet to see the field here.He didn't come as a back-up plan like Johnson

The coaches know or have a very good idea who will start but they are keeping it close to the vest for any number of reasons.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
I think he will play,from his point of view he only had to beat out a guy who had yet to see the field here.He didn't come as a back-up plan like Johnson

The coaches know or have a very good idea who will start but they are keeping it close to the vest for any number of reasons.
Stephen didn’t come here thinking of himself as a backup plan. Terry doesn’t think of himself that way. But you have to get it done and win over the team.

If our coaches know, and I’m not sure they do yet, they are smart to keep it to themselves.

Stephen didn’t come here thinking of himself as a backup plan. Terry doesn’t think of himself that way. But you have to get it done and win over the team.

If our coaches know, and I’m not sure they do yet, they are smart to keep it to themselves.
Agree that Johnson didn't think of himself that way but the coaching staff did until they didn't

Reactions: wildcatdonf
we lost 38-21 and we had 21 when Norton went down in the 2nd qtr I think.It would have been close.We lost to UT 19-3 the next week.We were never out of a game with Norton behind center
As I recall the radio game call - not sure if Claude or Cawood - when H got up two scores late in game, it was, "There goes the Gator Bowl! There goes the Sugar Bowl! There goes the Cotton Bowl!" .

Reactions: howercat and UKUGA
As I recall the radio game call - not sure if Claude or Cawood - when H got up two scores late in game, it was, "There goes the Gator Bowl! There goes the Sugar Bowl! There goes the Cotton Bowl!" .
Believe it was Cawood and as you say we were in the game into the 4th.The veer offense was somewhat new at that time(most called it a variation of the wishbone) and we had trouble with it to say the least

If its close....tie goes to the runner haha. But I think its Terry. Hoak is a safer pick...but nothing has come out that he's this amazing passer. He's just good.

Terry TD has elite speed and athleticism. It's also said he has a better deep ball. I think he's a lot of potential that just needs game reps to unleash him. Hoak just seems like he has a low ceiling.

I think you use Terry like the staff did with SJ in 2016. They started being real cautious with SJ...letting the line and the backs carry the load. As each game went on...they slowly opened up the playbook and worked him into being comfortable. By the UofL game...SJ was throwing deep balls left and right and the offense was more dynamic.

Also...if Hoak was the guy...Terry would not be here. You don't go get Terry if you don't feel good with Hoak/Clark/Wood as your 3 guys.

Reactions: seccats04
Itll be Gunnar to start and Terry will get 2nd half. Thats my guess. If there is clear seperation then we'll know who starts in the Swamp.

Talk about lack of depth, that team had several all time greats and literally nothing behind them. Several played both ways.

Yeah, I got in some heated arguments about Norton, threw some beautiful passes and got beat up a lot. I'm not sure who took his place but it was a big dropoff, think it might have been the starting DB, Deaton maybe? The Thin Thirty was pretty accurate.
Was it Terry Beadles?

It was Beadles who I think was really a DB. I was at that game, day after JFK assassination. Cold with rain/sleet/snow. There was really no yelling/cheering by crowd just polite applause. Very somber time and UK appeared they'd rather be anywhere than playing that game.

It was Beadles who I think was really a DB. I was at that game, day after JFK assassination. Cold with rain/sleet/snow. There was really no yelling/cheering by crowd just polite applause. Very somber time and UK appeared they'd rather be anywhere than playing that game.

I was running across campus by the Student Union building late for a class when I first heard about President Kennedy. A sad day.

Are you opposed to competition for the starting job in practice?

Nope.

I still wonder why Terry chose to come here if he’s not going to play.

My hunch is that he’s going to be the starting QB.

I hope the competition helps both players improve, and I hope Terry Wilson helps give us a dynamic offense that will allow us to truly compete each week.

Nope.

I still wonder why Terry chose to come here if he’s not going to play.

My hunch is that he’s going to be the starting QB.

I hope the competition helps both players improve, and I hope Terry Wilson helps give us a dynamic offense that will allow us to truly compete each week.
Terry Wilson came here because he wants to be a part of our football team and our campus. If he does what the coaches tell him, he will play. Whether or not he starts against CMU, he will see action for sure. I doubt a job was promised to him. No player gets handed a starting job. He would not have been handed a starting job at Nebraska either.

Terry Wilson came here because he wants to be a part of our football team and our campus. If he does what the coaches tell him, he will play. Whether or not he starts against CMU, he will see action for sure. I doubt a job was promised to him. No player gets handed a starting job. He would not have been handed a starting job at Nebraska either.

I agree with the general sentiment of your post, but I still think he was looking for an opportunity to play and showcase his talents.

I think that will happen for him at UK.

Of course he was looking for an opportunity to play. That doesn't mean he doesn't have to earn it. Any coach would expect him to earn it.

He is coming in with a lot of talent and not a lot of experience, or expert coaching. He has THREE years to win the starting job, not saying he won't from day one, but plenty of time.

My gut says Wilson because of his tremendous potential.

But my opinion and a buck will get you a cup of coffee at Mickey D’s.

“Removed wrong thread”

I did that yesterday. Thought someone was guaranteeing Jalen Hurts is transferring to UK. When I realized my mistake (I was in a thread about a DB recruit and not Hurts), I decided to keep my opinion about the DB recruiting not coming here. LOL.

If I am “wrong,” I will be very happy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT