ADVERTISEMENT

Any Smoke Signals Yet?

If what pilgrim is saying is true(very iffy it is) that BYU is willing to give him 2 million dollars then idk what pope and uk are suppose to do. Late second round picks aren’t worth anywhere near that
I say, if the money is sitting there, ya gotta use it, right? That's what it's for. Price and value are matters of perspective and necessity.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
Is Robinson worth 2 million dollars, that’s what pilgrim said byu might be willing to spend on him.
If this is the case, then UK needs to restrategize on their NIL offerings. With the massive amounts of NIL funds at our disposal, teams like BYU should not be beating us at our own strengths.

Reactions: track42
I say, if the money is sitting there, ya gotta use it, right? That's what it's for. Price and value are matters of perspective and necessity.
Yes and no. It’s there to spend but if you spend that amount on players like Robinson the market goes crazy. Robinson is not worth that at all if the rumor is true. If we’re being honest Robinson isn’t even worth a mill.

I think we need a means to keep the children under 16 off the board. Some really don’t get the idea that we aren’t going to just outspend other schools. You still have a thirteenth scholarship. Yes, we could go all in on Robinson and leave that thirteenth spot empty or find another in-state player who would take almost nothing to come. But, when you’re managing a budget, overspending now will kill you later.
I'm sure there are adults on here too that are just the same. Some people have lived their whole lives spending other people's earned money. So they have no concept of it being finite. Pope has to manage what he had to pay an entire roster. Can't just blow your entire wad on one or two players.

Speaking from someone who has been reading this board and Cat’s Pause before it for over 20 years but only recently started to post. Message count does not equate to wisdom. Experience and some education helps. But, regardless almost none of us have any real connections. Butter’s dad doesn’t need to have message count to see through grand predictions based on hope rather than actual knowledge.
I think you're likely just another Butters account. You both show up at the same time, defend each other. And use the same excuses for the low count.

If teams won't pay the big bucks they will be left behind. You don't have to like it(I don't) but it's what college basketball is right now.
Correct. The “he’s not worth it” crowd needs to see this. We have two roster spots left. We are going to have to spend money to get good players and compete. If BYU offers two million, Kentucky needs to match. If we don’t, it’s going to be a long season.

If what pilgrim is saying is true(very iffy it is) that BYU is willing to give him 2 million dollars then idk what pope and uk are suppose to do. Late second round picks aren’t worth anywhere near that
I have always felt like BYU was going to be our main competition for him. I’ve read and heard from the time he entered his name in the draft that if he returned it would be hard for him to come to UK. His family came with him to Utah when he transferred their last year and with BYU hiring one of the latest big time NBA assistants that is supposedly an offensive guru, the incentive to stay at BYU could be stronger than coming to Lexington with his former coach.

Hope he decides to break away, but the $2 million on top of all of the other things going against him coming here, could be hard to overcome.

So don't add anything and have a bad season?
Would you spend 2 million dollars on Robinson. And everybody who liked tracks post, would you spend 2 million on Robinson? To answer your question I absolutely want them to add somebody. And they will, but it’s gotta make sense with NIL. Riley, coward, and poplar should be a lot cheaper than that price of Robinson if it’s true. Of course this could be a useless argument and that number isn’t factual

Would you spend 2 million dollars on Robinson. And everybody who liked tracks post, would you spend 2 million on Robinson? To answer your question I absolutely want them to add somebody. And they will, but it’s gotta make sense with NIL. Riley, coward, and poplar should be a lot cheaper than that price of Robinson if it’s true. Of course this could be a useless argument and that number isn’t factual
What makes you think we have a great shot at Poplar and Riley or that they will be cheap?

Doesnt anyone find it strange that every player mentioned is wanting 2 million. call like it is..... they only want 2 mil when they dont go to the school that wanted them and went somewhere else translation BS

Reactions: Mr. Stratford
You don’t give him 2million because he is the only one left.

You offer him a fair deal based on what everyone else on the team is getting. Just paying people to come to UK because the money is there and they expect it sets the wrong precedence and honest makes you look desperate.

Some of you sound like the guy that takes home bar scraps at the end of the night because “they are available and someone else will if i dont” or the kind of people who like spending other people’s money.

While I assume they’ll spend good money on another player, they don’t have to overpay.

There are already 6 players on the roster guaranteed to not be here in 2025. Pope is trying to compete for highly ranked prospects in 25-that’ll cost him. He’ll also have to budget for retention of guys like Garrison and others. Then he’ll need a war chest for next spring still as we’ve seen prices only continue to go up for these transfers!

He could really use a big splash but I believe he has already spent a whole lot this spring, even if the differentiation among players wasn’t 7 figures.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
While I assume they’ll spend good money on another player, they don’t have to overpay.

There are already 6 players on the roster guaranteed to not be here in 2025. Pope is trying to compete for highly ranked prospects in 25-that’ll cost him. He’ll also have to budget for retention of guys like Garrison and others. Then he’ll need a war chest for next spring still as we’ve seen prices only continue to go up for these transfers!

He could really use a big splash but I believe he has already spent a whole lot this spring, even if the differentiation among players wasn’t 7 figures.
Refreshing to see people who get it!

Reactions: KFuqua

True. We might just have to accept a poor season and hope for better the season after...

I have always felt like BYU was going to be our main competition for him. I’ve read and heard from the time he entered his name in the draft that if he returned it would be hard for him to come to UK. His family came with him to Utah when he transferred their last year and with BYU hiring one of the latest big time NBA assistants that is supposedly an offensive guru, the incentive to stay at BYU could be stronger than coming to Lexington with his former coach.

Hope he decides to break away, but the $2 million on top of all of the other things going against him coming here, could be hard to overcome.
this guy seems to be doing pretty well on the recruiting front to have just come from the NBA. why wasn't he even on UK's radar? I never heard of him til he took the BYU job, but then again, I don't watch NBA

Lol, have you all not figured out this excuse is just a baked in lie for when we don't get a recruit we want,?

Allegedly, a lot of these dudes have been UKs to lose until they inevitably don't come to UK. Then the narrative immediately shifts to they wanted too much money. Although, the supposed narrative is also that we are flush with NIL cash after getting rid of Cal.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
If UK has the money you have to give it to him because he is all that's left right now.
That seems like the road to bankruptcy to me. Surely there's some kind of rational criteria involved that doesn't give in to panic spending.

Lol, have you all not figured out this excuse is just a baked in lie for when we don't get a recruit we want,?

Allegedly, a lot of these dudes have been UKs to lose until they inevitably don't come to UK. Then the narrative immediately shifts to they wanted too much money. Although, the supposed narrative is also that we are flush with NIL cash after getting rid of Cal.
I suspect you might be right.

You don't know that. You can't do math when you don't know what numbers to plug into the equation. No one knows what Lanier was offered but we do know we keep losing guys we want to teams with better rosters and most of us have been admitting in the past it's due to NIL. Then they collectively forget about it when it comes to the next recruit. I get that the truth is painful. I get that you are afraid to face reality. But I'm also proof that it can be done. And to be honest, it's much more pleasant to expect not to land these guys than to be disappointed time and time again.
If you kept up you would know Laniers agent told every team before a visit the fee is over a million . So you can actually do sone math if you kept up

Reactions: TM2013
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT