ADVERTISEMENT

Any interest in Trevon Brazile?

It's not just a lack of tournament success. He struggles to beat good teams with a pulse as well. His record over the last few years against top 25 teams has been abysmal. We've also lost quite frequently to teams who had no business beating us, and at HOME. He's been terrible on every metric except for recruiting classes. That's all he's good at these days. But hey, at least you all might be number 1 in something for once. That's a big deal for you guys, congrats!
i get it but at the same time Kentucky ran Alabama out of Rupp and beat Tennessee the last game of the season . Even since 2019 Kentucky has had 2 2 6 3 seed and missed the tourney in Cals only losing season . Your winning enough games if your a top 3 seed in the tournament .

Arkansas in that same time frame had 3 4 8 seed and missed the tourney last year and 2018-19 .

He has said that model doesn't work anymore but we will have to wait and see if this year was an anomaly or he truly plans on filling out the roster every year like this . He has said recently that 5-7 frosh isn't going to work in todays college basketball and only plans on bringing in 3 every year . Like you said we will have to find out for ourselves . I appreciate you having a strong opinion without being so condescending .
Yes, I heard him say that about not having as many freshmen. It will be very interesting seeing what he does with the next class. That will truly show if he is going to change any. But with so many portal players available for so long he settled on only two. Knowing you need several older and experienced guys. We needed a new beginning and he did also. So it worked out.

i get it but at the same time Kentucky ran Alabama out of Rupp and beat Tennessee the last game of the season . Even since 2019 Kentucky has had 2 2 6 3 seed and missed the tourney in Cals only losing season . Your winning enough games if your a top 3 seed in the tournament .

Arkansas in that same time frame had 3 4 8 seed and missed the tourney last year and 2018-19 .
Arkansas has 2 elite 8s since 2020. UK has 0, 0 sweet 16s, 1 NCAAT win. You downgraded. But because of past success that Calipari will never replicate, you think you hit a homerun hire. It's really like the Deion Sanders at Colorado situation. A flash in the pan program who died years ago, hires the flashy coach who will get them some hype, more attention and exposure, some more donor dollars, etc etc. But it doesn't work out and you win 4 games year one and all your recruits bail to the portal.

Yes, I heard him say that about not having as many freshmen. It will be very interesting seeing what he does with the next class. That will truly show if he is going to change any. But with so many portal players available for so long he settled on only two. Knowing you need several older and experienced guys. We needed a new beginning and he did also. So it worked out.
Yep 100% . Arkansas is Happy and Kentucky is Happy

Arkansas has 2 elite 8s since 2020. UK has 0, 0 sweet 16s, 1 NCAAT win. You downgraded. But because of past success that Calipari will never replicate, you think you hit a homerun hire. It's really like the Deion Sanders at Colorado situation. A flash in the pan program who died years ago, hires the flashy coach who will get them some hype, more attention and exposure, some more donor dollars, etc etc. But it doesn't work out and you win 4 games year one and all your recruits bail to the portal.
I actually wanted Chris Beard but I do love what all Cal brings to the table in media exposure and roster building . I (and everyone outside of Kentucky) also think he is a much better coach than Kentucky fans think he is.

To compare him to Deon is laughable , your talking about a NC HOF coach vs a guy who has been coaching major college football for 1 year .

According to everyone here it didn't work out the last FEW years . Kids did hit the portal and the HS recruits did ask for a release from their NLI from Kentucky this year . They followed that same Coach you are referring to and are now Arkansas Razorbacks .

I actually wanted Chris Beard but I do love what all Cal brings to the table in media exposure and roster building . I (and everyone outside of Kentucky) also think he is a much better coach than Kentucky fans think he is.

To compare him to Deon is laughable , your talking about a NC HOF coach vs a guy who has been coaching major college football for 1 year .

According to everyone here it didn't work out the last FEW years . Kids did hit the portal and the HS recruits did ask for a release from their NLI from Kentucky this year . They followed that same Coach you are referring to and are now Arkansas Razorbacks .
Our fans have been upset with Cal since 2016. If you recall. Before the 9-16 year. Peopel were all saying Cal was trending down. Comparing his 2009-2015 run to 2016-2020.

Account #404573947
1 title in 15 years sucks and not the standard people want for UK basketball. Plus the program was getting tired of the program being measured by NBA draft picks that never played up to any standard. Getting into the NBA had nothing to do with uK and that was never UKs reason to play basketball. It has always been about titles and wins.

1 title in 15 years sucks and not the standard people want for UK basketball. Plus the program was getting tired of the program being measured by NBA draft picks that never played up to any standard. Getting into the NBA had nothing to do with uK and that was never UKs reason to play basketball. It has always been about titles and wins.
I agree lol I was just calling him out for being an alt account

What you don’t seem to understand is that you have 65 year old washed up Calipari. He’s gotten fat and complacent and is not the coach you admire that won a championship 12 years ago. You can clearly see that he’s not happy about coaching in Fayetteville, but when you can’t win in the NCAA tournament, that’s your punishment.

In your opinion how many years would be acceptable to go between titles ?

What you don’t seem to understand is that you have 65 year old washed up Calipari. He’s gotten fat and complacent and is not the coach you admire that won a championship 12 years ago. You can clearly see that he’s not happy about coaching in Fayetteville, but when you can’t win in the NCAA tournament, that’s your punishment.
He clearly wasn't happy about coaching at Kentucky LOLOL . That's awesome

That doesn't answer the question
It does. Would you expect a coach who signs a few 3 stars and builds them up to maybe compete for a title year 4, to win a title every few years? Or would you expect a coach who signs the best HS players in the country year after year to win a title every few years?

It does. Would you expect a coach who signs a few 3 stars and builds them up to maybe compete for a title year 4, to win a title every few years? Or would you expect a coach who signs the best HS players in the country year after year to win a title every few years?
He stated 1 title in 15 years is not the standard at Kentucky . It was 14 years between 1998 and 2012 . It was 18 years from 1978 to 1996 . You guys did play basketball before Cal was there right . You had the almost back to back in 1996 and 1998 . I generally curious what yall think is acceptable .

He stated 1 title in 15 years is not the standard at Kentucky . It was 14 years between 1998 and 2012 . It was 18 years from 1978 to 1996 . You guys did play basketball before Cal was there right . You had the almost back to back in 1996 and 1998 . I generally curious what yall think is acceptable .
And Tubby Smith was fired for that gap. You also left off that UK got into NCAA trouble between 1978 and 1996. Cal was forced out because he wasn't performing. The heat got so hot he was trying to bail to Ohio state in Jan/Feb.

Arkansas fans are some of the dumbest in the country.
And some of the smartest. No sense taking personal digs.

At the end of the day we are here to talk hoops. I love most of the UK Fanbase. I have in-laws that are UK fans. Best friends that are UK fans.
I know dozens of UK fans very well

The consensus is this, they respect Arkansas. They wanted Cal to retire or ride of into oblivion and did not want him at UA or any other SEC School.

Basically wanted their cake and to eat it, too.

Didn’t turn out that way. He’s the Head Hog. And that’s a problem for you. He may never win another NCAA tourney game again but my money is on him doing very well at his “Last stop”

He’s fitting in very nicely, helping out the Tornado victims. May be a publicity stunt, maybe not.

I loathed him at UK, hated watching the “door” video on here years ago because I knew he was going to end up here and he would do well.

I don’t loathe him anymore. He’s the Head Hog so I’m a turncoat. I’ll wear it proudly

Reactions: piglet mignon
And Tubby Smith was fired for that gap. You also left off that UK got into NCAA trouble between 1978 and 1996. Cal was forced out because he wasn't performing. The heat got so hot he was trying to bail to Ohio state in Jan/Feb.
I left off that Kentucky was on Probation for Cheating ? I honestly didn't even know that .

And some of the smartest. No sense taking personal digs.

At the end of the day we are here to talk hoops. I love most of the UK Fanbase. I have in-laws that are UK fans. Best friends that are UK fans.
I know dozens of UK fans very well

The consensus is this, they respect Arkansas. They wanted Cal to retire or ride of into oblivion and did not want him at UA or any other SEC School.

Basically wanted their cake and to eat it, too.

Didn’t turn out that way. He’s the Head Hog. And that’s a problem for you. He may never win another NCAA tourney game again but my money is on him doing very well at his “Last stop”

He’s fitting in very nicely, helping out the Tornado victims. May be a publicity stunt, maybe not.

I loathed him at UK, hated watching the “door” video on here years ago because I knew he was going to end up here and he would do well.

I don’t loathe him anymore. He’s the Head Hog so I’m a turncoat. I’ll wear it proudly
Cal will do a lot of the community stuff, especially helping out people. Has always done that. Likes teaching his players to be servants to the needy.

Depends on the talent. Calipari was bringing in insane amounts of talent. 30 NBA players worth. He won one title. That's a failure. Period.
UK has been bringing in top shelf talent for years. We went 20 yrs between titles (1958- 1978), another 18 yrs (1978-1996) and another 14 years (1998-2012). Young talent is great, but it isn't like CFB where you get to keep them for 3 years minimum. We compare the talent we see displayed in the NBA to the 18 year old we see at UK.

UK has been bringing in top shelf talent for years. We went 20 yrs between titles (1958- 1978), another 18 yrs (1978-1996) and another 14 years (1998-2012). Young talent is great, but it isn't like CFB where you get to keep them for 3 years minimum. We compare the talent we see displayed in the NBA to the 18 year old we see at UK.
Even the most talented teams in college basketball/baseball rarely seem to win the whole thing with the randomness of the tournament. Duke with a loaded roster with three top 10 picks and a HOF coach when they had Zion didn’t make the final four.

I get why people place such an emphasis on tournament success but it doesn’t always reflect how good a team or coach is based on a few games. Plenty of great coaches out there get upset occasionally.

9 really talented dudes, not sure what’s not to like?
I don't like the roster construction and blend of players. I don't like the depth. They have some talent but most UK teams under Cal were much more talented. I like what Kelsey is doing at Louisville better than this Arkansas team. I've always valued depth and the right utilization of it since Pitino's teams. I know Arkansas has some decent guys off the bench but it's not the same and his substitution patterns always sucked here even in his good years.

I don't like the roster construction and blend of players. I don't like the depth. They have some talent but most UK teams under Cal were much more talented. I like what Kelsey is doing at Louisville better than this Arkansas team. I've always valued depth and the right utilization of it since Pitino's teams. I know Arkansas has some decent guys off the bench but it's not the same and his substitution patterns always sucked here even in his good years.
Wonder if Kelcey would go to UConn? The way he is recruiting people has to have taken notice.

Wonder if Kelcey would go to UConn? The way he is recruiting people has to have taken notice.
Specifically, what don’t you like?

Fland, Davis and DJ is a very nice guard rotation. Nellie is seasoned, DJ a year in system and Fland will be able to be mentored.

Thiero, Knox and Richmond at the 3 maybe 4 in some instances.

And Big Z, Aidoo and Brazile at the 4/5.

Not sure what’s not to like. Will they mesh? Nobody knows.

3 returners Wag, Thiero, Z
3 Transfers Brazille, Davis Adoo
3 Top 25 Fresh Richmond, Fland, Knox

Just what we wanted Cal to do and what he never done at KY.
We shall see how it works out. Not sure how anyone could not see why we would not be exited about it.
Technically 5 transfers unless you are Calipari University

• Haha
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
That’s fair, it’s always a crap shoot, Louisville’s issue is they have a bunch of me first guys that the first sign of adversity will fold. That’s what I like most about what UK has done, I think they went for guys who aren’t Elite per se’ but ideally will buy into the team first approach. I mean who knows how any of them do, that’s what makes it fun.

Reactions: Nicholascat
If anyone thinks Cal worked to put together this team, you haven’t been paying attention. Most of these guys played for him last season. Another one just decided to stay in Fayetteville.

Cal just outbidded everyone for the most coveted portal player. I doubt he even watched film on Davis, he probably just watched who everyone else was after and assumed he would be the best get.

Aidoo, he was very familiar with from going up against UT, so I doubt he spent much time researching what kind of fit he would be.

So, you Hog fans who think Cal is working hard, do not have a clue. He takes what he can get based on his reputation of getting guys to the league.

And if you think him having some older guys now will make a difference, go back and watch the ‘23 team led by reigning NPOY Oscar Tshiebwe with six Seniors in the rotation struggle to get a 6 seed and flame out in the second round. His “we’re young” excuse he uses is just that: an excuse.

I have said it several times on here, the issue with Cal is not the players, it’s not the talent, and it’s not experience, it is the coaching.

But maybe a new job and a change of scenery will light a fire and he will be back to 2010-2015 Cal. That has to be your hope as Hog fans.

And if you guys are satisfied just making the tourney, then you’ll love Cal, because he will likely get you there most years. Here in the Bluegrass we just expect more.

If anyone thinks Cal worked to put together this team, you haven’t been paying attention. Most of these guys played for him last season. Another one just decided to stay in Fayetteville.

Cal just outbidded everyone for the most coveted portal player. I doubt he even watched film on Davis, he probably just watched who everyone else was after and assumed he would be the best get.

Aidoo, he was very familiar with from going up against UT, so I doubt he spent much time researching what kind of fit he would be.

So, you Hog fans who think Cal is working hard, do not have a clue. He takes what he can get based on his reputation of getting guys to the league.

And if you think him having some older guys now will make a difference, go back and watch the ‘23 team led by reigning NPOY Oscar Tshiebwe with six Seniors in the rotation struggle to get a 6 seed and flame out in the second round. His “we’re young” excuse he uses is just that: an excuse.

I have said it several times on here, the issue with Cal is not the players, it’s not the talent, and it’s not experience, it is the coaching.

But maybe a new job and a change of scenery will light a fire and he will be back to 2010-2015 Cal. That has to be your hope as Hog fans.

And if you guys are satisfied just making the tourney, then you’ll love Cal, because he will likely get you there most years. Here in the Bluegrass we just expect more.
I don't care if he recruited this team from his couch sitting in his robe . I love how this team is put together !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT