ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Harris

I don't want to post premium content here, can't start a conversation, but will tell you in private what it said if you whisper me.

He wasn't a fan of bloody Tuesdays, that is whatvUGA calls their most challenging practice day.
Yeah….that is not an optimal sign to leave. I was hoping more like Vandagriff in wanting to be higher on depth chart

But regardless…UK is in bad spot at one CB spot…they’re looking at kid from UAB and other spots signals to me it’s highly needed spot to get outise of our current squad

Last edited:
Yeah….that is not an optimal sign to leave. I was hoping more like Vandagriff in wanting to be higher on depth chart

But regardless…UK is in bad spot at one CB spot…they’re looking at kid from UAB and other spots signals to me it’s highly needed spot to get outise of our current squad

That isn't me saying that i am just repeating, can't remember him doing much in games. But he was a HS star, and like most was surprised that everyone there was a HS star, some bigger stars than him. Kirby and Muschamp wanted to switch him to S/star, he didn't want to switch.

Reactions: UKat1
Looking at kids from UAB and So Alabama tells me our NIL is all spent. And we don't have good offers to make to get visits from corners leaving Georgia or Bama or Ohio.

Grumpy, this is OT but I've been meaning to tell you...I saw the TN private large school state champ game in Dec between 2 Chatt schools, Baylor and McCallie, won by McCallie in a really good game. Baylor QB was Will Muschamp's boy Whit. signed with Vandy, not real big but a decent enough QB. Ironically, McCallie QB, MVP of game, also has signed with Vandy. Baylor had a TE who signed with Ohio St and a WR who signed with Alabama. McCallie had high profile guys too but something I found very interesting...McCallie had a handful of guys, maybe 5-6, from Canada.

Reactions: GermantownDawg
Grumpy, this is OT but I've been meaning to tell you...I saw the TN private large school state champ game in Dec between 2 Chatt schools, Baylor and McCallie, won by McCallie in a really good game. Baylor QB was Will Muschamp's boy Whit. signed with Vandy, not real big but a decent enough QB. Ironically, McCallie QB, MVP of game, also has signed with Vandy. Baylor had a TE who signed with Ohio St and a WR who signed with Alabama. McCallie had high profile guys too but something I found very interesting...McCallie had a handful of guys, maybe 5-6, from Canada.

Both are old private boarding schools in Chattanooga, Baylor founded in 1894 and McCallie in 1905. They have been rivals since the beginning. Both also have middle schools. Up until a few years ago, relatively, they were an all male school but Baylor now accepts females. I think McCallie is still all male, but has a sister school up the street that is all female. Baylor dominated for decades, but McCallie has turned the table as of late. The tuition approaches 20k a year, if the student is a boarder its much more. The only reason I know that is I have a friend who's daughter went to the female school as a softball/basketball player with 19.500 financial aid package. He could afford the 500, but you can bet someone would have covered that 500 for a football player.. McCallie has won multiple state championships the last decade. But there are very few schools in their classification. Those real power private school keep their numbers low and play in the small private school.

On another note, a school south of Knoxville, Alcoa, has dominated Tennessee HS football for decades. Big aluminum plant there and the owner loves HS football. If a player is good enough, mom/dad gets a good job, nice place to live for moving in the Alcoa district. They would and have pounded both private schools.

Both are old private boarding schools in Chattanooga, Baylor founded in 1894 and McCallie in 1905. They have been rivals since the beginning. Both also have middle schools. Up until a few years ago, relatively, they were an all male school but Baylor now accepts females. I think McCallie is still all male, but has a sister school up the street that is all female. Baylor dominated for decades, but McCallie has turned the table as of late. The tuition approaches 20k a year, if the student is a boarder its much more. The only reason I know that is I have a friend who's daughter went to the female school as a softball/basketball player with 19.500 financial aid package. He could afford the 500, but you can bet someone would have covered that 500 for a football player.. McCallie has won multiple state championships the last decade. But there are very few schools in their classification. Those real power private school keep their numbers low and play in the small private school.

On another note, a school south of Knoxville, Alcoa, has dominated Tennessee HS football for decades. Big aluminum plant there and the owner loves HS football. If a player is good enough, mom/dad gets a good job, nice place to live for moving in the Alcoa district. They would and have pounded both private schools.
Baylor/McCallie have been around for decades. The McCallie coach has been there for years, maybe 20-25. Knew Baylor's boys basketball coach at one time, coached there 20+ years. Intrigued by the Canadian pipeline they've established.

I think Alcoa's state champ count is up to 18, won this year too. They're 3A. The guy who really built them, Gary Rankin, left a couple of years ago(retired with state teaching pension) to take over at a small, private school in Chatt, Boyd Buchanan. 1A private, had them in state playoffs in 2 years.

Baylor/McCallie have been around for decades. The McCallie coach has been there for years, maybe 20-25. Knew Baylor's boys basketball coach at one time, coached there 20+ years. Intrigued by the Canadian pipeline they've established.

I think Alcoa's state champ count is up to 18, won this year too. They're 3A. The guy who really built them, Gary Rankin, left a couple of years ago(retired with state teaching pension) to take over at a small, private school in Chatt, Boyd Buchanan. 1A private, had them in state playoffs in 2 years.

I wonder how Boyd had improved so much. A guy I coached with got his first job as frosh coach at Alcoa in early 60's. Told me the head coach had all coaches in going over practice schedule and he saw a group working out and thought no wonder they win so much. He asked the head coach where his guys were and it was that group. He said they would have won our region in 2000. Just what recruiting nationwide does for you I guess.

I wonder how Boyd had improved so much. A guy I coached with got his first job as frosh coach at Alcoa in early 60's. Told me the head coach had all coaches in going over practice schedule and he saw a group working out and thought no wonder they win so much. He asked the head coach where his guys were and it was that group. He said they would have won our region in 2000. Just what recruiting nationwide does for you I guess.
Of course, Randall Cobb is from Alcoa and they had a guy this year sign with Michigan, an OL last year attends Va Tech but really for the tremendous success Alcoa has enjoyed over the years they don't produce a ton of P5-type talent, lots of small school guys.

Maryville just down the street was also a power in a different classification. Tennessee separated public and private school because private schools were winning everything especially the country club sports and more than holding their own in the other sports, until they hit Alcoa in football. My friends daughter went to GPS, sister school to McCallie, and Baylor brought in a pitcher, for softball they couldn't hit. GPS mama's accused them of bringing in ringers when GPS was doing the same, just not as good.

Reactions: K_TIME
Maryville just down the street was also a power in a different classification. Tennessee separated public and private school because private schools were winning everything especially the country club sports and more than holding their own in the other sports, until they hit Alcoa in football. My friends daughter went to GPS, sister school to McCallie, and Baylor brought in a pitcher, for softball they couldn't hit. GPS mama's accused them of bringing in ringers when GPS was doing the same, just not as good.
My old high school, Houston out of Germantown near Memphis won TN Div 1 6A state title over powerhouse Oakland out of Murfreesboro. Absolutely dominated them and almost everyone else along the way. Really cool to see. Houston’s first football state title.

Maryville's 5A or 6A, I forgot which one. They missed the playoffs, had a .500 or so record for the first time in decades.

EDIT: Maryville finished 7-5 in '23, worst record in years. They did make playoffs but went out in second round. Earliest departure in decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: GermantownDawg
And this exactly why Ky should separate private from public in high school …stupid watching trinity and st x win all the titles by recruiting

And this exactly why Ky should separate private from public in high school …stupid watching trinity and st x win all the titles by recruiting

Been so long since I been away from it I don't know exactly what Georgia is doing now. At one time they had multipliers for city systems where each kid outside the city district counted 1.25 instead of 1. Always something going on with GHSA. Regions were so scattered that some teams had 2 hour bus rides, one way. New rule this year if travel is more than an hour GHSA pays for transportation. So one less class, smallest 6A school with about 1599 kids will be competing with schools with near 5k kids. Seems fair.

4 out of last 18 state champs, across 6 classes were private. Annnd 6A champ has not necessarily been best team, let alone Trinity or St X.

I don’t pay attention to lower classes. But in 6a. It’s trinity or st x for all but 1-2 champs over 25 years. It’s sort of stupid to see the same song play out due to recruiting advantages that public schools csnt match

Reactions: ala_kat2
BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND

all CFB recruiting/portal media folks seem sure AJ Harris winds up at Penn St or another Big 10 power

Reactions: Rembrandt90
BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND

all CFB recruiting/portal media folks seem sure AJ Harris winds up at Penn St or another Big 10 power

That is surprising, Kirby and Muschamp didn't think he had the speed to play CB in SEC and wanted him to switch to S but he didn't want a position change. Stoops may have told him the same thing. PSU is surprising, I thought he would head to AU but apparently that isn't the case. We have had a few kids transfer to Syracuse because they liked Fran Brown, Syracuse's new coach and our former DB coach.

2023 KY state football champions-

1A- Pikeville
2A- Mayfield
3A- Christian Academy of Louisville
4A- Boyle Co
5A- Bowling Green
6A- Trinity

2022 KY state football champions-

1A- Pikeville
2A- Beechwood
3A- Christian Academy of Louisville
4A- Boyle Co
5A- Frederick Douglass
6A- Bullitt East

Sometimes public schools win. Sometimes private schools win. It can be said that private schools have the advantage of being able to recruit. But they also have the disadvantage of no access to players whose parents send them to public schools. Interesting facts. Among the top 10 hs players in KY in 2023, seven attend public schools. Again, among the top 10 hs players in KY in 2022, seven attended public schools. FWIW.

Then why bring it up?

Just to irritate you. But if you must know, a poster asked what it said who obviously can't read premium material, i have all access, plus I have respect for the site's publisher not to post his premium content, I told him i would tell him what it said in private, then if he wanted to post it it was up to him. So, i didn't bring it up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT