ADVERTISEMENT

Aerosmith is retiring from the road

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Tyler's voice is evidently shot beyond recovery.

Once billed as America's Rolling Stones, I never saw the resemblance, musically anyway. Tyler has a better voice perhaps, but Jagger has more nuance (or did) and variation. Like Stones guitar work better although it may not be technically as proficient. Aerosmith music has no subtlety to me. Charlie Watts style gave The Stones a bit of swing to their music that Aerosmith's music lacks, imo.

Stones musically are infinitely more to my taste. Can't say there are more than a couple of Aerosmith songs I can truthfully say I like. The 'roll' part of Aerosmith never clicked for me. Never had an underlying swing to their music. I've seen live performances on TV and concert movies but they didn't really impress me on stage. Tyler's mannerisms seem forced too often, like he's going through the motions to meet audience expectations.

They deserve their place in RnR history, just never liked much of their music. I know their fans are disappointed they have to hang it up.

Aerosmith developed a platform of hard rock. Many future bands developed around that platform. They were much different than The Stones. Rock and hard rock in particular doesn't require a skilled vocalist out front. They need a performer and that's what they got with Tyler.

I suspect you guys teen years weren't late 70's to mid/late 80's. Most people from that period, who liked rock, really liked Aerosmith. They are the highest selling hard rock group ever IIRC.

Aerosmith developed a platform of hard rock. Many future bands developed around that platform. They were much different than The Stones. Rock and hard rock in particular doesn't require a skilled vocalist out front. They need a performer and that's what they got with Tyler.

I suspect you guys teen years weren't late 70's to mid/late 80's. Most people from that period, who liked rock, really liked Aerosmith. They are the highest selling hard rock group ever IIRC.
I just never cared for their sound and yes I was a teenager in the 70s. Born in 1960. I actually liked Toys In The Attic as a teenager. Some groups just didn't fit my ear for some reason, i.e. Nazareth.

I think they’re supremely overrated. I will never forgive them for WALK THIS WAY…horrid abomination of music. They all got rich, so good for them. Yuck tho

I've read that Steven Tyler and Joe Perry had just seen the 1974 Mel Brooks comedy movie Young Frankenstein, saw the "walk this way!" bit, and thought it was the funniest thing they had ever seen. Immediately wrote the song and recorded it.

For the record, I like the song.

Born in '63. Heard all of their earlier stuff when it came out. Reviewed the live album in '79 or '80 for the Henry Clay newspaper. Their music just never resonated with me. I know they were big and have a lot of fans. I'm just not one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT