ADVERTISEMENT

My $1700 Rupp thoughts from the UNC Wilmington game

Oldbluefart

Sophomore
Mar 23, 2014
Louisville, KY
I took my 10 year old grandson to his first UK game on Saturday. My drive home to Louisville gave me time to think about our day and it was filled with both highs and lows.
Our seats were great. Cost me $1300 for the seats and a little more for shirts, basketball and other stuff he wanted. Total for the day was a little over $1700.

To start with, I was highly disappointed after getting to Rupp. This was my first trip back since Covid and I hate the changes they made. We left Louisville early on Saturday and during the ride down, I told my grandson about UK, its tradition and how much fun he will have "tailgating" inside the complex going in all the shops, eating at the food court.
Wow, my thoughts on seeing all the shops gone, the food court gone, hardly no one hanging out in the Hyatt was something beyond printable.
Once we got inside at 2:30, things changed for the good. He was so excited to watch everything. while watching the teams warm up, I told him then we, UK, better be ready to play after watching UNC Wilmington arm up. boy, it seemed every player on that team was hitting their shots, mostly from the 3 line.
Our seats were 8 rows behind the UK bench. I felt there was not much energy from some of the players, especially after halftime when they came back onto the floor.

For me, a team that is superior like UK and being down at the half, I was hoping to see then run out ready to show UNC Wilmington who they really are. No, I remember seeing Mitchell being one of the first to come out on the floor walking like he was window shopping at the mall. Others followed in the same manner.

No offensive rebounding at all. None it seemed. Missing so many shots close up and having others pop back out of the net, the look on the UK players faces was one of frustration.
I felt UK was not getting the whistle on many calls and getting the whistle on a lot of touch fouls. We seemed to want back down from physical play and want to whine to the refs many times during the game. Yes, some if not most was legit, but you have to fight thru that crap.

Got a great picture of my grandson and Jeff Sheppard together. I have several pieces of UK memorabilia signed by Jeff after over the years. I waited over 3 hours when the 98 team won to get his signature on a piece of the floor from Championship game along with the old "3" posters they hang after a made 3. Jeff Sheppard was one of my favorites over the years.
When the good Lord calls me home, this is my only grandson and he will get a very nice UK man cave along with a 200 piece firearm collection. So, yes, this was a big deal for me to get his picture with him. I actually have a blue and white .45 Berrata in UK blue. I kick myself in the ass all the time when thinking about this gun. When I bought it, my dealer had a red/black one for UL. I was thinking with my heart and not my head and should have bought both of them.
I do have a very nice mounted UK-UL set of derringers with a gold plated tag that says, "The Battle of the Bluegrass" on it.
Then to get my grandson's new UK basketball autographed by Reed Sheppard just put the icing on the cake.

When I saw my grandson up clapping, cheering with the cheerleaders, this sent a great feeling down my spine. I bleed blue and always will.
Losing the game sucked. Sucked big time to watch my team play with little fire and energy.

Been waiting on getting our bigs back to play like everyone else. After seeing the Bradshaw kid, I could not help but think about Skal and how skinny he was. But the kid played hard and with emotion.

But it was on the ride home thinking about our day together that I realized how little I was thinking about losing the game. In the past, I would have been a little sick to my stomach, pissed off a little but for some reason, I am at a point where I sort of expect this to happen. That was the real sad part of the day, that I have lost some of my energy myself for UK and started thinking about the players playing like I feel. It's just a game.
There was a time when it was more than just a game to me. Good or bad to be like that, who knows but when you truly bleed blue you know what I mean. I am afraid my grandson will just take losing as part of being normal. There was a time when a team came into Rupp you knew and they knew they were toast.

I miss the old days but enjoyed my time with my grandson watching my beloved Cats.
I still believe we will win the rest of our games. I will never just give up on them but when they do lose, for whatever the reason is, it just does not hurt anymore.
Go Big Blue

They got rid of the food court like 3-4 years ago at least didn’t they? And I’ve been to 4 games this year and never spent more than $45 for a ticket, the first 3 were literally like $18 each and the Miami game was $45. So idk how in the hell you spent that much on tickets to see that embarrassment but sorry you did. I can’t tell if you’re happy or mad or just wanted to vent and talk about guns.

We just got brought back down to earth. It was a fun week though wasn’t it? No way this team can win a title and probably not a final four playing defense like that when they can all go completely cold like that. But hey it was a fun week thinking UK basketball was back. The glory days are just over with, no one makes a final four after losing at home to a team like that, it just doesn’t happen. I let myself get excited like everyone else when really we had just had an incredibly hot shooting start to the season. We will probably beat a lot of teams but this team can lose to anyone too, doesn’t bode well for March.

No offense and yes, it’s been happening for years, but if we’re at the point where are people are spending $1700 for a college basketball game, much less for a UNC Wilmington….

You’re getting ripped off and wasting your money
It is a lot of money, no doubt. I work all the time with my business and my time with my family is special for me. It was not a waste of money for what I got out of it, just the world we live in today.
I could have gotten cheaper seats but I choose these seats so my grandson could be as close to the floor as possible to experience what I have many times in the past.
But I get your point 100%.
You know what they say, "you can't take it with you".

It is a lot of money, no doubt. I work all the time with my business and my time with my family is special for me. It was not a waste of money for what I got out of it, just the world we live in today.
I could have gotten cheaper seats but I choose these seats so my grandson could be as close to the floor as possible to experience what I have many times in the past.

I do want you to know it’s not a shot at you, but sports fans in general for willing to spend money on mediocre things

Thanks for sharing the experience. I just got 1 question. Do you have room in your family for 1 more? Im willing to be adopted......even though I am 48 years old 😁

No offense and yes, it’s been happening for years, but if we’re at the point where are people are spending $1700 for a college basketball game, much less for a UNC Wilmington….

You’re getting ripped off and wasting your money

You’re not wrong but for those of us well outside the Lexington orbit, these kinds of trips to Rupp with our family are not a rip off.

Agree with OP about missing the shops and the food court. You just show up for the game now like cattle, in and out. That’s been a huge loss as far as overall experience goes.

Good on you. Who cares how much it cost if you got it to spend. As someone whos father killed himself when I was fairly little, and two papaws that also went way too early, I would quite literally give anything including an organ or an arm to have been able to have just one experience like that with any of them.

You did a great thing. That will literally change his life for the better.

Oldbluefart I am glad you got to go with your grandson and like you losing hurts but not like it used to. I'm 78 and remember how UK used to play with pride for the UK name. I could tell the 1st 5 minutes of the game that some of our players did not have the fire in their eyes for the game yesterday. Most of the blame has to go on Calipari because he is the coach.

I wish things could go back to how it used to be but time changes and today some young people take no pride in playing for a school anymore . It is not the same world we older folks grew up in.

I do want you to know it’s not a shot at you, but sports fans in general for willing to spend money on mediocre things
I know exactly what you mean and I respect the OP for investing his time in his grandson. I am sure that young man will cherish forever.

So many grew up watching sports with grandparents, parents, aunt/uncle, etc that it holds a special place in their lives. We all want our kids to have the same memories. Many of us grew up in a time where it appeared (at least outwardly) that winning and loyalty was all that mattered to players. Now that may have been naive and a product of the way sports were structured but now is definitely different. Didn’t say wrong but different and it took me a long time to figure that out. So despite being able to afford to go, I now take my kids to other things to spend my time with them. Really kind of sad but trying to teach my kids to not get nearly as invested in sports teams.

Reactions: law1127
And if you did you couldn’t spend it there .

Agree with you. As one becomes more successful in life you realize there is one resource you cannot replenish and that is your time. You getting that time with your grandson is indeed priceless.

I'm glad you had a great time with grandson. Money well spent if you ask me.

And sports are always a risk to spend money on as your team can win or lose

Reactions: Zissou87
The money is just money. The experience is worth whatever you're willing to spend.

But it is sad that so many seem to having similar experiences in Rupp these days. I rarely get to make it. Probably once a year on average through the years, but even I can tell the buzz and 'Disneyland effect' is gone. That as the prices go up, and play quality decreases.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
They got rid of the food court like 3-4 years ago at least didn’t they? And I’ve been to 4 games this year and never spent more than $45 for a ticket, the first 3 were literally like $18 each and the Miami game was $45. So idk how in the hell you spent that much on tickets to see that embarrassment but sorry you did. I can’t tell if you’re happy or mad or just wanted to vent and talk about guns.

We just got brought back down to earth. It was a fun week though wasn’t it? No way this team can win a title and probably not a final four playing defense like that when they can all go completely cold like that. But hey it was a fun week thinking UK basketball was back. The glory days are just over with, no one makes a final four after losing at home to a team like that, it just doesn’t happen. I let myself get excited like everyone else when really we had just had an incredibly hot shooting start to the season. We will probably beat a lot of teams but this team can lose to anyone too, doesn’t bode well for March.
As usual a great many of you get too high with each success and sink to low with every failure. There is way too much left to play out to be declaring certainties either way. The talent is there for a deep run. There are also obviously glaring issues that must be addressed between now and then.

Reactions: UKhoopCat
The money is just money. The experience is worth whatever you're willing to spend.

But it is sad that so many seem to having similar experiences in Rupp these days. I rarely get to make it. Probably once a year on average through the years, but even I can tell the buzz and 'Disneyland effect' is gone. That as the prices go up, and play quality decreases.
Yes. I used to get so tied up in watching my sports teams. My youngest is now in college and we talk almost daily. He said to me a couple of days ago that he no longer gets upset when his team loses. I was happy that he got to that point much earlier in life than I did.

I'm not a big fan of "live". My wife talked me into going to the Paul McCartney concert a couple of years ago. The ticket cost a heart transplant, and I did not get a heart transplant worth of enjoyment from the event.

As for athletics, it's an even bigger No. My first exposure to live athletics was some UK-Tennessee football game in the 50s. I saw nothing -- since I was around 4' tall -- and froze. You wouldn't believe the vile little cans of hot chocolate they used to sell. A neighbor had talked my dad into going and dragged me along when none of our neighbor's sons wanted to go. Two years later, I got hauled along to a Cleveland Browns game. We were in the 2nd row from the top. In Cleveland. In December. I was almost 5' by then and still saw nothing but the guy next to me screaming, "There he is! There he is!"

Fortunately, TV was invented and seeing sports became bearable.

You paid 1700 to watch UK play UNC Wilmington????? That was the first mistake. I might pay that to go to a NC game, probably not.... But definitely not UNCW

As usual a great many of you get too high with each success and sink to low with every failure. There is way too much left to play out to be declaring certainties either way. The talent is there for a deep run. There are also obviously glaring issues that must be addressed between now and then.
And i also look at stats. Very few final four teams lose to mid majors at home, that’s just a fact. The last national champion I could see while looking that lost to a mid major at home was Syracuse in 2003.

And i also look at stats. Very few final four teams lose to mid majors at home, that’s just a fact. The last national champion I could see while looking that lost to a mid major at home was Syracuse in 2003.
It is an ugly loss that should not have happened no debate from me about that. I don't buy that it proves that much about where this team ends up however.

Guy makes a wonderful post , and humans show up immediately to rain on it and be nothing but entirely negative , damn I thought I was miserable at times , some of you all take the cake .
he actually invest in cheering on our team and you miserable pricks rain on it . I hope karma finds you . Thanks OP for sharing what was a special day , good on you !

Guy makes a wonderful post , and humans show up immediately to rain on it and be nothing but entirely negative , damn I thought I was miserable at times , some of you all take the cake .
he actually invest in cheering on our team and you miserable pricks rain on it . I hope karma finds you . Thanks OP for sharing what was a special day , good on you !
Thank you.
I do not take anything anyone says to heart. Having coached travel ball and high school ball for over 25 years, I know what I have control over and not. What others think and say is something none of us have control over.

I am just so thankful the good Lord has been good to me to give the tools I needed one the years to do the things I have done and make a nice living doing it. Working 6-7 days a week, many times over 12 hours a day, has paid off and while others spend money on things they want and wish for, it is not for me to question on how anyone spends their money.
Truth is, with al the great things from yesterday, the real thing that truly haunts me is seeing this little old lady standing on the corner with a sign asking for help. Traffic was heavy and I drove on by. But her face is still with me. Point is, I feel blessed and I am very thankful for what I am able to do for my family and others.

I do have a nice Uk collection of items and really want my grandson to want these when I am gone and understand what this has meant to me and to pass this along.
That is what our tradition is all about.

You’re not wrong but for those of us well outside the Lexington orbit, these kinds of trips to Rupp with our family are not a rip off.
Yup. I live up in NJ. My dad loves college basketball and is the reason I like the sport so much. He never really had a team when I was a kid (born in upstate NY), but loves UK now because I went there. Every year I get him two tickets to a game for Christmas and we take a road trip down, stay at the Hyatt, and go to Tony's (Malone's before Tony's opened) for a nice steak dinner after the game. Definitely not cheap to do that, but it's worth the money.

Thank you.
I do not take anything anyone says to heart. Having coached travel ball and high school ball for over 25 years, I know what I have control over and not. What others think and say is something none of us have control over.

I am just so thankful the good Lord has been good to me to give the tools I needed one the years to do the things I have done and make a nice living doing it. Working 6-7 days a week, many times over 12 hours a day, has paid off and while others spend money on things they want and wish for, it is not for me to question on how anyone spends their money.
Truth is, with al the great things from yesterday, the real thing that truly haunts me is seeing this little old lady standing on the corner with a sign asking for help. Traffic was heavy and I drove on by. But her face is still with me. Point is, I feel blessed and I am very thankful for what I am able to do for my family and others.

I do have a nice Uk collection of items and really want my grandson to want these when I am gone and understand what this has meant to me and to pass this along.
That is what our tradition is all about.
Yep , I've been involved in travel ball, HS and 3 years of small college coaching . But I was never was good at letting things bounce off my back , I like to fight .. not a great trait , wish I could let go of things I dont control . Well your post made my day , it was bittersweet as I fear the next generation wont get to experience the pride and excitement that comes from a mostly united state of Ky all pulling for " our boys " I'm only 57 and I tried to instill the love of Big Blue in both my kids .. but neither Was really interested , took my 10 year old great nephew to his first UK football game .. freaking Missouri . Dropped some cash but not near like you did . Hope that kid grows up to ooze blue , take care and Merry Christmas in the name of Jesus .

In twenty six years your grandson will probably not look back in anger about the outcome of a meaningless basketball game that he attended. He'll probably think about attending Rupp Arena for the first time with his grandfather, and being able to spend time with him, while enjoying from great seats and something that bonds them. He will probably wish that he could experience that again with you, regardless the outcome of the game.

That's been my experience, at least. If you're able, $1700 sounds like a bargain.

My grandpa and grandma took me to GABP for my first Reds game when I was 14, I remember it like it was yesterday and miss my grandpa so freaking bad

I think $1700 is a bit silly to spend but he will for sure remember it

Reactions: Zissou87
I took my 10 year old grandson to his first UK game on Saturday. My drive home to Louisville gave me time to think about our day and it was filled with both highs and lows.
Our seats were great. Cost me $1300 for the seats and a little more for shirts, basketball and other stuff he wanted. Total for the day was a little over $1700.

To start with, I was highly disappointed after getting to Rupp. This was my first trip back since Covid and I hate the changes they made. We left Louisville early on Saturday and during the ride down, I told my grandson about UK, its tradition and how much fun he will have "tailgating" inside the complex going in all the shops, eating at the food court.
Wow, my thoughts on seeing all the shops gone, the food court gone, hardly no one hanging out in the Hyatt was something beyond printable.
Once we got inside at 2:30, things changed for the good. He was so excited to watch everything. while watching the teams warm up, I told him then we, UK, better be ready to play after watching UNC Wilmington arm up. boy, it seemed every player on that team was hitting their shots, mostly from the 3 line.
Our seats were 8 rows behind the UK bench. I felt there was not much energy from some of the players, especially after halftime when they came back onto the floor.

For me, a team that is superior like UK and being down at the half, I was hoping to see then run out ready to show UNC Wilmington who they really are. No, I remember seeing Mitchell being one of the first to come out on the floor walking like he was window shopping at the mall. Others followed in the same manner.

No offensive rebounding at all. None it seemed. Missing so many shots close up and having others pop back out of the net, the look on the UK players faces was one of frustration.
I felt UK was not getting the whistle on many calls and getting the whistle on a lot of touch fouls. We seemed to want back down from physical play and want to whine to the refs many times during the game. Yes, some if not most was legit, but you have to fight thru that crap.

Got a great picture of my grandson and Jeff Sheppard together. I have several pieces of UK memorabilia signed by Jeff after over the years. I waited over 3 hours when the 98 team won to get his signature on a piece of the floor from Championship game along with the old "3" posters they hang after a made 3. Jeff Sheppard was one of my favorites over the years.
When the good Lord calls me home, this is my only grandson and he will get a very nice UK man cave along with a 200 piece firearm collection. So, yes, this was a big deal for me to get his picture with him. I actually have a blue and white .45 Berrata in UK blue. I kick myself in the ass all the time when thinking about this gun. When I bought it, my dealer had a red/black one for UL. I was thinking with my heart and not my head and should have bought both of them.
I do have a very nice mounted UK-UL set of derringers with a gold plated tag that says, "The Battle of the Bluegrass" on it.
Then to get my grandson's new UK basketball autographed by Reed Sheppard just put the icing on the cake.

When I saw my grandson up clapping, cheering with the cheerleaders, this sent a great feeling down my spine. I bleed blue and always will.
Losing the game sucked. Sucked big time to watch my team play with little fire and energy.

Been waiting on getting our bigs back to play like everyone else. After seeing the Bradshaw kid, I could not help but think about Skal and how skinny he was. But the kid played hard and with emotion.

But it was on the ride home thinking about our day together that I realized how little I was thinking about losing the game. In the past, I would have been a little sick to my stomach, pissed off a little but for some reason, I am at a point where I sort of expect this to happen. That was the real sad part of the day, that I have lost some of my energy myself for UK and started thinking about the players playing like I feel. It's just a game.
There was a time when it was more than just a game to me. Good or bad to be like that, who knows but when you truly bleed blue you know what I mean. I am afraid my grandson will just take losing as part of being normal. There was a time when a team came into Rupp you knew and they knew they were toast.

I miss the old days but enjoyed my time with my grandson watching my beloved Cats.
I still believe we will win the rest of our games. I will never just give up on them but when they do lose, for whatever the reason is, it just does not hurt anymore.
Go Big Blue
It is not about the game it is about the memory your grandson will have of the game and you taking him. Every Summer I take my two kids their wives and 4 grandkids on a Summer trip. Next Summer we are going to Tampa to see a Ray's/Reds game. Busch Gardens etc. They will always remember these trips just like I remember my Grandpa taking me fishing. And when I am homebound and drooling over my shirt I am sure these trips will bring a smile to my face.

Oldbluefart I am glad you got to go with your grandson and like you losing hurts but not like it used to. I'm 78 and remember how UK used to play with pride for the UK name. I could tell the 1st 5 minutes of the game that some of our players did not have the fire in their eyes for the game yesterday. Most of the blame has to go on Calipari because he is the coach.

I wish things could go back to how it used to be but time changes and today some young people take no pride in playing for a school anymore . It is not the same world we older folks grew up in.
This is so true.

Reactions: bbncal02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT