ADVERTISEMENT

AD in final 3 for both MVP and DPOY

He has to win Defensive POY. He led the league in blocks and was top 5 in scoring. I believe that should help his case. He played great defense as well as great offense. I know it's DPOY but that has to count for something, right?

He has to win Defensive POY. He led the league in blocks and was top 5 in scoring. I believe that should help his case. He played great defense as well as great offense. I know it's DPOY but that has to count for something, right?

I don’t think the scoring factors in. I think Gobert will win it, but the fact that he only played 56 games might hurt him. Then again, Utah played at a very high level when Gobert was available.

I don’t think the scoring factors in. I think Gobert will win it, but the fact that he only played 56 games might hurt him. Then again, Utah played at a very high level when Gobert was available.

I agree. I don't think it plays any factor. But it's annoying when someone wins and they averages 5 points a game. I think it shows more of a complete player. But I guess that would be called an MVP. I just talked myself out of that but I still think Davis deserves to win.

Davis was:
  • 3rd in total scoring behind Lebron and Harden
  • 2nd in points per game at 28.1 behind only Harden
  • 5th in rebounds per game at 11.1
  • 1st in blocks per game at 2.6
  • 15th in steals per game at 1.5
  • 3rd in free throw attempts
  • 2nd in made free throws (hit 83%)
  • 2nd in PER behind Harden
Harden is a better offensive player and plays for a very good team so he'll get the MVP, but if defense is valued equally, Davis is the more valuable player imo. Should be between Lebron and Davis for who is actually most valuable to their team.

Davis was:
  • 3rd in total scoring behind Lebron and Harden
  • 2nd in points per game at 28.1 behind only Harden
  • 5th in rebounds per game at 11.1
  • 1st in blocks per game at 2.6
  • 15th in steals per game at 1.5
  • 3rd in free throw attempts
  • 2nd in made free throws (hit 83%)
  • 2nd in PER behind Harden
Harden is a better offensive player and plays for a very good team so he'll get the MVP, but if defense is valued equally, Davis is the more valuable player imo. Should be between Lebron and Davis for who is actually most valuable to their team.

I lost all hope with the MVP award when Steve Nash won it over Kobe Bryant the year he scored 81 and averaged over 35 ppg. That was one of the single greatest scoring seasons in the modern era and he lost to STEVE NASH!!!

I lost all hope with the MVP award when Steve Nash won it over Kobe Bryant the year he scored 81 and averaged over 35 ppg. That was one of the single greatest scoring seasons in the modern era and he lost to STEVE NASH!!!

The MVP is a moving target. Often they give it to the best player on the best team, but then you have years like last year where Westbrook was rewarded for being spectacular.

Kobe had the best season the year you’re talking about, but giving him the MVP didn’t fit the narrative of the time.

The MVP is a moving target. Often they give it to the best player on the best team, but then you have years like last year where Westbrook was rewarded for being spectacular.

Kobe had the best season the year you’re talking about, but giving him the MVP didn’t fit the narrative of the time.

I just looked up Steve Nash's stats the years he won.
2004-5 He averaged 15.5 PPG and 11.5 APG,
2005-6 He averaged 18.8 PPG and 10.5 APG.

Those numbers are not NBA MVP numbers. If you are going by numbers then Lebron James should win every year. Westbrook got rewarded for a historic season and Kobe did not.

Reactions: Aike

Those numbers are not NBA MVP numbers. If you are going by numbers then Lebron James should win every year. Westbrook got rewarded for a historic season and Kobe did not.

I’m pretty sure Steve Nash is the only 2x NBA MVP to never reach the NBA Finals.

I believe someone (Bob Pettit?) got to the Finals the second year he received the MVP (but not sure when the award was announced back then).

I’m pretty sure Steve Nash is the only 2x NBA MVP to never reach the NBA Finals.

I believe someone (Bob Pettit?) got to the Finals the second year he received the MVP (but not sure when the award was announced back then).

I loved Steve Nash. He was really fun to watch. But I have never disagreed so much with an award than those 2 years he was MVP. He was a great player but when was the last time someone other than him averaged UNDER 20 PPG and won the MVP?

Reactions: UKUGA
I loved Steve Nash. He was really fun to watch. But I have never disagreed so much with an award than those 2 years he was MVP. He was a great player but when was the last time someone other than him averaged UNDER 20 PPG and won the MVP?

I used google on myself. Bill Walton won it in 77-78 averaging 18.9 PPG. Pretty awful and the fact that Steve Nash won 2 blows my mind.

Anyway I hope AD wins at least one of these. Harden has MVP locked up IMO but Davis has a really good chance to win DPOY.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKUGA
Being top 5 in scoring has nothing to do with being defensive POY.

They only won 45 games and got the 7 seed.

35 points per game isn't a historic season. Wilt averaged more five times, Jordan did it once, Rick Barry once.

Being top 5 in scoring has nothing to do with being defensive POY.
Apparently you missed my other posts.
Or apparently you just chose the ones you disagreed with.

35 points per game isn't a historic season. Wilt averaged more five times, Jordan did it once, Rick Barry once.
35 Points per game has happened 8 times according to you. 8 times in 71 years of the NBA. That's 11%. And most of them were done by 1 player back in the 60s. In the modern era, only Jordan and Kobe have done it after the 60s. So in that aspect, that's pretty historic.

They only won 45 games and got the 7 seed.
Fair, but did you think Russell Westbrook deserved it last year? Funny thing is, they only won 47 games and finished 6th in the West.
When players have great seasons, as long as they make the playoffs, I think they are deserving of the MVP, unless someone clearly has a better season. Steve Nash's stats were not MVP worthy, Kobe's were.

I bet money you are a Lebron fan and you hated Kobe, AMIRITE?

ADVERTISEMENT