ADVERTISEMENT

I guess this is why I don't watch NBA (until final 2 rounds of playoffs) and consider the league somewhat not real high level b-ball

K_TIME

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
Look at the draft

1. 3 of the top 5 picks played in a glorified pickup bball league (many times to not showcase their warts in college).
2. Anthony Black (who at least had the balls to go to college.) drafted 6th. Long kid and good athlete. 13 pts, 5 boards, 4 ass vs. 3 TO and he shot 45% FG and 30% 3pt. And raving he's a defender...Arkansas got scored on at will and the bald headed kid was their only plus defender IMO. Heck Reeves tore them a new one and he was the only dude along with Oscar that could score.
3. Derek Lively goes #12....the dude literally averaged 5 pts, 5 reb and 2.5 blocks....Seriously? The dude is as soft as tissue paper. Duke getting blasted in the paint in tourney only hightlights how lack of a presence he truly is.
4. The 2 Michigan wings that got drafted ...Jett Howard and Kobe Bufkin....pretty 'meh' kids but both go #11 and #15 respectively. I think Jett Howard is decent as he's at least 6'8 but dang. 14pts a game, Neither can rebound to save their life, pretty inefficient shooters, both as apt to have a TO vs. create an assist, etc... And Michigan was a terrible defensive team...so I'm imagining not defensive stoppers
5. Brandin Podkiemski....goes to Illini and was a mess. 1.4 pts a game....goes to Santa Clara and now he is a 1st rounder.
6. I'll go on record and argue Marcus Sasser from Houston who was picked #25 by Pistons will be a top 10 player in this draft when it's all said and done.

Final UK interest comment. To not draft Oscar is just abysmal. I'd argue today alone he's way better than Miami Heat backup C in Cody Zeller. This draft was heavy on guards and wings....not a ton of bigs to compare. But any world where you draft Chris Livingston and Oscar goes undrafted....I'm sorry. This only shows how different the NBA game is and is watching so many teams run a glorified 3pt shooting contest. If you call that modern b-ball...so be it. But I'd argue the NBA rule changes are artificially changing the game to more of a International style of play where rugged athleticism and all around skills have lesser value. I am not sure whta I am watching is great basketball. This is one of the worst talent of drafts I can remember.

Devo Davis was Arkansas' best defender pretty easily IMO (got ejected in the second UK game though). Walsh fouled way too much.

Black was a good defender but his problem was with smaller guards who could use their quickness to blow by him since he's so tall. The funny thing is the NBA doesn't have as many of those types of guards so I could see him actually getting better at on-ball defense at the next level when he's guarding more of a Cade Cunningham type more similar to his build.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Look at the draft

1. 3 of the top 5 picks played in a glorified pickup bball league (many times to not showcase their warts in college).
2. Anthony Black (who at least had the balls to go to college.) drafted 6th. Long kid and good athlete. 13 pts, 5 boards, 4 ass vs. 3 TO and he shot 45% FG and 30% 3pt. And raving he's a defender...Arkansas got scored on at will and the bald headed kid was their only plus defender IMO. Heck Reeves tore them a new one and he was the only dude along with Oscar that could score.
3. Derek Lively goes #12....the dude literally averaged 5 pts, 5 reb and 2.5 blocks....Seriously? The dude is as soft as tissue paper. Duke getting blasted in the paint in tourney only hightlights how lack of a presence he truly is.
4. The 2 Michigan wings that got drafted ...Jett Howard and Kobe Bufkin....pretty 'meh' kids but both go #11 and #15 respectively. I think Jett Howard is decent as he's at least 6'8 but dang. 14pts a game, Neither can rebound to save their life, pretty inefficient shooters, both as apt to have a TO vs. create an assist, etc... And Michigan was a terrible defensive team...so I'm imagining not defensive stoppers
5. Brandin Podkiemski....goes to Illini and was a mess. 1.4 pts a game....goes to Santa Clara and now he is a 1st rounder.
6. I'll go on record and argue Marcus Sasser from Houston who was picked #25 by Pistons will be a top 10 player in this draft when it's all said and done.

Final UK interest comment. To not draft Oscar is just abysmal. I'd argue today alone he's way better than Miami Heat backup C in Cody Zeller. This draft was heavy on guards and wings....not a ton of bigs to compare. But any world where you draft Chris Livingston and Oscar goes undrafted....I'm sorry. This only shows how different the NBA game is and is watching so many teams run a glorified 3pt shooting contest. If you call that modern b-ball...so be it. But I'd argue the NBA rule changes are artificially changing the game to more of an International style of play where rugged athleticism and all around skills have lesser value. I am not sure whta I am watching is great basketball. This is one of the worst talent of drafts I can remember.
1. That’s just a silly take. If your warts will show in college they will show in the G League where the competition is much better and everyone is playing to move up.

The rest of the post is just blah and not worth responding to…

You'd see the players potential more in college if the current rules didn't suck so much.

The paint being clogged
Charge calls
Smaller 3 point line

All the above and more make the college game barely watchable
This.

If the court matached the NBA ones, it would be a much better game to watch.

The clogging of the lane has particularly hurt us over the years.

Look at the draft

Final UK interest comment. To not draft Oscar is just abysmal. I'd argue today alone he's way better than Miami Heat backup C in Cody Zeller. This draft was heavy on guards and wings....not a ton of bigs to compare. But any world where you draft Chris Livingston and Oscar goes undrafted....I'm sorry. This only shows how different the NBA game is and is watching so many teams run a glorified 3pt shooting contest. If you call that modern b-ball...so be it. But I'd argue the NBA rule changes are artificially changing the game to more of a International style of play where rugged athleticism and all around skills have lesser value. I am not sure whta I am watching is great basketball. This is one of the worst talent of drafts I can remember.
Serious question. If you consider the NBA to be "somewhat not real high level b-ball", what level do you consider the utter garbage that the NCAA trots out on the floor and calls it basketball to be?

Serious question. If you consider the NBA to be "somewhat not real high level b-ball", what level do you consider the utter garbage that the NCAA trots out on the floor and calls it basketball to be?
College bball is eons inferior to the 80s and 90s.

I’d argue NBA js just a much inferior product compared to years past

1. Do you really Jokic would score 30+ night on Olajuwon and centers in year past? Or better yet those guys would get their numbers in him as well….but he’s considered the best player in the world today.
2. The rules have totally changed the game

I’m not going to argue rhe greatness of Lebron and Curry would not shine in any era…but you’re about to see Jordan Poole score 20+ a night and he’s not a legit starting level player Jalen Green is putting up points ( very inefficient)

To see dudes play on overtime elite league and go high is a joke. Dude sitting out 30 games is common not a rarity

You can like it all you want…..all level of bball are just a terrible product IMO

I think people tend to forget the purpose of an NBA GM is to draft a player based on their potential. What they will be vs. what they currently are. You can’t always look at a one and done, or an OT Elite prospect, and judge them based on what they produced their one and only year. The GM’s don’t always get it right, but more times than not they do. For every Devin Booker that surprises us, there are three KATs or AD’s who are fairly easy to peg.

Last night’s draft was one of the least surprising in terms of where players were selected. There wasn’t one pick that truly stood out as too
high or two low. Sonogo from UConn was mildly surprising because he can shoot it a little but at the end of the day he’s a 6’8 center.

1. Do you really Jokic would score 30+ night on Olajuwon and centers in year past? Or better yet those guys would get their numbers in him as well….but he’s considered the best player in the world today.

I’m not going to argue rhe greatness of Lebron and Curry would not shine in any era…but you’re about to see Jordan Poole score 20+ a night and he’s not a legit starting level player Jalen Green is putting up points ( very inefficient)

To see dudes play on overtime elite league and go high is a joke. Dude sitting out 30 games is common not a rarity

You can like it all you want…..all level of bball are just a terrible product IMO

You can say this about every sport. Nfl isn't as good as it was in the 90s or even early 2000s either.

Devo Davis was Arkansas' best defender pretty easily IMO (got ejected in the second UK game though). Walsh fouled way too much.

Black was a good defender but his problem was with smaller guards who could use their quickness to blow by him since he's so tall. The funny thing is the NBA doesn't have as many of those types of guards so I could see him actually getting better at on-ball defense at the next level when he's guarding more of a Cade Cunningham type more similar to his build.
I think his hair slowed him down.

Look at the draft

Chris Livingston upside is far greater than Oscars ever was. Plus he's 4 years younger

Some in here are revealing themselves to be much greater NBA fans than UK fans. I suppose that's okay.

• Haha
Reactions: LmdCat

Although this is a better post, it's nowhere near the same thing as you said in your first post and especially the thread title - not real high level b-ball. That's just crazy. Also as someone else pointed out, most of these players (almost all after the first 4-5 each and every year) are being drafted as to what evaluators project (and hope) they can become, not what they can do for a team immediately.

The NBA is awful. No loyalty, no rivalries, players too busy worried about off the court stuff. No one chases a legacy anymore. It's all about the money. Players insulting and getting in fights with fans. Some of the most entitled, whiny, players anywhere on the planet.

Ron Artest, Malice at the Palace??? 😂

I know what you mean but my mind immediately went to, Artest charging into the crowd of fans! Lol

Reactions: RunninRichie

Do I think Jokic would dominate the dream? No. Do I think he would hold his own? Absolutely. Tom Gugliotta averaged 14, 16, 20, 20 ppg from 1994-1998. I think Jokic would dominate him. Rik Smits 17,18,17,16 from 94-98. Jokic would dominate him. My guess is you know what Jokic looks like. You have never watched him play basketball

All the nba sucks are fine and I hardly watch anything and not even much playoffs this years.

The op stating the highest professional league isn't high level of the sport is the dumb part of the thread.

Not to be racist, but the nba’s decision to double down on the ghetto angle has been a huge disappointment and kept me away from the game. I understand that all goes back to our “friends” with the small hats, but I can’t justify giving them my money or time.
Wtf. Seriously gtfo. How is this bullshit post allowed?

Reactions: pedroborbon
Not high level of basketball? Lol What's higher? College? Euro? Nba teams crush any other league. Also, people claiming no defense, rules, whatever clearly don't watch the NBA.

Look at the depth of proven players in the 1996 draft (and this wasn't a great draft) for top 20 picks.....compared to now. FOr sure we'll have to wait a bit to see how it pans out. But guys like Derek Lively at #12 or Grady Dick at #13.....those just don't strike me as really likely to do much of anything.

The college product is not even close to same level of ball in the 90s (and nobody can make a serious argument there)...so we are funneling a ton more kids into the league who aren't ready and more guys play in NBA rotations that would not have 20 years ago. Hence, my point that NBA product isn't the same level of product as years past IMO.

PLAYER
TEAMAFFILIATIONYEARROUND
NUMBER
ROUND
PICK
OVERALL
PICK
Allen IversonPhiladelphia 76ersGeorgetown1996111
Marcus CambyToronto RaptorsMassachusetts1996122
Shareef Abdur-RahimVancouver GrizzliesCalifornia1996133
Stephon MarburyMilwaukee BucksGeorgia Tech1996144
Ray AllenMinnesota TimberwolvesConnecticut1996155
Antoine WalkerBoston CelticsKentucky1996166
Lorenzen WrightLos Angeles ClippersMemphis1996177
Kerry KittlesNew Jersey NetsVillanova1996188
Samaki WalkerDallas MavericksLouisville1996199
Erick DampierIndiana PacersMississippi State199611010
Todd FullerGolden State WarriorsNorth Carolina State199611111
Vitaly PotapenkoCleveland CavaliersWright State199611212
Kobe BryantCharlotte HornetsLower Merion199611313
Peja StojakovicSacramento KingsP.A.O.K. B.C. (Greece)199611414
Steve NashPhoenix SunsSanta Clara199611515
Tony DelkCharlotte HornetsKentucky199611616
Jermaine O'NealPortland Trail BlazersEau Claire199611717
John WallaceNew York KnicksSyracuse199611818
Walter McCartyNew York KnicksKentucky199611919
Zydrunas IlgauskasCleveland CavaliersLSU-Atletas (Lithuania)1996120

1. Spurs draft Victor Wembanyama (Metropolitans 92)

2. Hornets draft Brandon Miller (Alabama)

3. Blazers draft Scoot Henderson (G League Ignite)

4. Rockets draft Amen Thompson (Overtime Elite)

5. Pistons draft Ausar Thompson (Overtime Elite)

6. Magic draft Anthony Black (Arkansas)

7. Pacers draft Bilal Coulibaly (Metropolitans 92) – Traded to Wizards

8. Wizards draft Jarace Walker (Houston) – Traded to Pacers

9. Jazz draft Taylor Hendricks (UCF)

10. Mavericks draft Cason Wallace (Kentucky)Traded to Thunder

11. Magic draft Jett Howard (Michigan)

12. Thunder draft Dereck Lively II (Duke) Traded to Mavericks

13. Raptors draft Gradey Dick (Kansas)

14. Pelicans draft Jordan Hawkins (Connecticut)

15. Hawks draft Kobe Bufkin (Michigan)

16. Jazz draft Keyonte George (Baylor)

17. Lakers draft Jalen Hood-Schifino (Indiana)

18. Heat draft Jaime Jaquez Jr. (UCLA)

19. Warriors draft Brandin Podziemski (Santa Clara)

20. Rockets draft Cam Whitmore (Villanova)

And we wonder why some recruits don't wanna come to Kentucky when you got all these racist hayseeds as fans and they're allowed to spew racist drivel on this board. I hope Tre Mitchell doesn't read this.

Reactions: LmdCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT