ADVERTISEMENT

A bit of a Final Four dry spell, but certainly NOT our longest ...

May 1, 2022
It's been a few years since we've been to the Final Four, but our current dry spell IS NOT the longest we've experienced. It was Coach Calipari who ended our longest drought between FF appearances in 2011. In fact, Coach Calipari has brought us our ONLY FF appearances this century.

We'll get back there soon! Thank you, Coach Cal!

Our FF history (17 appearances) ...

YEAR
2015 Our most recent appearance
2012 Title
2011 Coach Calipari ends our longest FF drought
1998 Title
1996 Title
1978 Title
1958 Title
1951 Title
1949 Title
1948 Title
1942 Coach Rupp's first appearance since tournament began in 1939

It's been a few years since we've been to the Final Four, but our current dry spell IS NOT the longest we've experienced. It was Coach Calipari who ended our longest drought between FF appearances in 2011. In fact, Coach Calipari has brought us our ONLY FF appearances this century.

YEAR
2012 Title
1998 Title
1996 Title
1978 Title
1958 Title
1951 Title
1949 Title
1948 Title
Knock it off Erin. Your shtick is getting old!

YEAR
2012 Title
1998 Title
1996 Title
1978 Title
1958 Title
1951 Title
1949 Title
1948 Title
1 title in 25 years. Cmon dude yeah we had a drought with tubby Bcg but never a losing season. Never a first round out to a 15 seed. Final four hasn’t been the issue with cal. The man should have 3-4 titles

YEAR
2012 Title
---> 2009 coaching change
---> 2007 coaching change
1998 Title
1996 Title
---> 1989 coaching change
---> 1985 coaching change
1978 Title
---> 1972 coaching change
1958 Title
1951 Title
1949 Title
1948 Title

I still think Cal might have a little magic left but UK's longest FF droughts have always been ended by new coaches. Hopefully Calipari breaks that trend.

Also shows that he is getting an appropriate amount of heat. He needs a FF this year and he needs to add some key pieces to this team to make it happen.

Erin must be the only one around here that can provide facts. What is listed is indisputable and not up for debate
So is a 9 win season. So is losing peters as a 2. Evansville in 2019. Losing our wins record to KU our ncaa wins total to UNC. You come out pumping that op is indisputable but really what’s more important is what has been happening recently. Top recruit rides the pine none and done. Constantly lied to. These are indisputable and offset any post indisputable a pumper could post. Time to move on.

So is a 9 win season. So is losing peters as a 2. Evansville in 2019. Losing our wins record to KU our ncaa wins total to UNC. You come out pumping that op is indisputable but really what’s more important is what has been happening recently. Top recruit rides the pine none and done. Constantly lied to. These are indisputable and offset any post indisputable a pumper could post. Time to move on.
The 9 win season is unacceptable and if it happened again he’d be gone. These are facts and I welcome them.

I definitely have a problem with assertions that are not fact based. For instance you threw in that we’ve been constantly lied to. By who? Cal??

That is an insinuation, one that I might add has no basis considering that assumes Sharpe told the staff the truth. So you are trusting Sharpe (for some odd reason) and I’ll trust the staff. Neither are based on facts but you decided to include it

The 9 win season is unacceptable and if it happened again he’d be gone. These are facts and I welcome them.

I definitely have a problem with assertions that are not fact based. For instance you threw in that we’ve been constantly lied to. By who? Cal??

That is an insinuation, one that I might add has no basis considering that assumes Sharpe told the staff the truth. So you are trusting Sharpe (for some odd reason) and I’ll trust the staff. Neither are based on facts but you decided to include it
If you think the staff has been truthful, well that just makes you not up to date, apparently.

If you think the staff has been truthful, well that just makes you not up to date, apparently.
I do. My stance is that Sharpes family told no one the truth. So what is the staff to do? It’s all conjecture anyways like I say.

There is no proof of them lying without conceding that Sharpe told them the truth. Anyone who concedes that has either not paid attention or has an agenda simple as that.

YEAR
2012 Title
1998 Title
1996 Title
1978 Title
1958 Title
1951 Title
1949 Title
1948 Title
Thank you coach Cal for getting so many Kentucky players to the NBA. Who gives a crap about Final Fours and championships for the University of Kentucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I do. My stance is that Sharpes family told no one the truth. So what is the staff to do? It’s all conjecture anyways like I say.

There is no proof of them lying without conceding that Sharpe told them the truth. Anyone who concedes that has either not paid attention or has an agenda simple as that.
Okay.

You don’t have the right to tell me not to be disgusted. F..k off.
Not my intention at all. Instead, I highlighted one of the many reasons why I'm NOT disgusted with Coach Calipari.

We obviously have a difference of opinion. Perhaps professional counseling might help you to handle such situations in a more mature fashion.

Not my intention at all. Instead, I highlighted one of the many reasons why I'm NOT disgusted with Coach Calipari.

We obviously have a difference of opinion. Perhaps professional counseling might help you to handle such situations in a more mature fashion.
Here’s the difference. When you post you aren’t nasty to your fellow posters.

Reactions: EternallyBlu

YEAR
2012 Title
1998 Title
1996 Title
1978 Title
1958 Title
1951 Title
1949 Title
1948 Title
Trolls gonna troll....sad little nancy has no life but gets likes from Ed....that's even more pathetic...🤣🤣🤣

Go to bed Erin

Drink that kool aid....gulp gulp gulp

Perhaps being a pathetic troll who can't get a life is the best you can do....nobody...absolutely nobody is fooled by your simpleton posts...😄😄😄

Perhaps being a pathetic troll who can't get a life is the best you can do....nobody...absolutely nobody is fooled by your simpleton posts...😄😄😄
Pal you just responded 6 straight times. And you tell someone to get a life?

Pal you just responded 6 straight times. And you tell someone to get a life?
Yep....but not to myself with sock accounts....pal

However many you have...eventually they turn into you and we all have a good laugh sparky

Btw.....thought you had me on ignore....must have logged on under one of your other accounts....🤣🤣🤣
I do have you on ignore. But you responded to so many of my posts I had to see what you were crying about. Won’t happen again.

I do have you on ignore. But you responded to so many of my posts I had to see what you were crying about. Won’t happen again.
Guarantee it does....plus you're not telling the truth and telling on yourself.....if you had me ignore, it doesn't show up what I posted....🤣🤣🤣🤣

We know that cal knew he was eligible for the draft. We know that cal knew sharpe was #1 pick material (cal said himself). Only thing sharpes camp could have possibly lied to cal about is their intention to forego the draft and play at UK next year. Please tell me you don’t honestly believe cal thought they were being honest with him about that? When has cal ever encouraged a lottery pick to come back to school, let alone even allow them too. Cal knew that kid was never playing here, cal told the fanbase sharpe would be leading UK next year. Cal lied, plain and simple.

Reactions: wildcatwelder

Do

Does it register with you that all the previous FF droughts led to coaching changes and new coaches that ended the drought? If anything you showed why Cal is at the end of his leash.

Does it register with you that all the previous FF droughts led to coaching changes and new coaches that ended the drought? If anything you showed why Cal is at the end of his leash.

If you are a fan who measures success and failure by National Championships, John Calipari has already failed beyond all of his predecessors in UK's history except the last 14 years of Rupp's career (and, I think, Rupp earned it with 4 NCAA championships, a meaningful NIT, Helm's NC for his undefeated 1953/54 team, but even so, although I wasn't old enough to remember, I bet it was a long, loud rumble calling for his dismissal leading up to his final retirement!).

UK, the program, may go stretches without a Chamionship and survive, but Coaches don't!

No coach at UK, except Rupp at his career end, has kept his job after 9 consecutive seasons without a Championship..... until now - until John Calipari.
He has already outlived all of his modern predecessor's failures.

Tubby Smith was fired after 9 seasons without a National Crown. Coach Hall was "retired" after 7 non championship seasons. Eddie Sutton, ran out of town after 4 years and sanctions. Pitino only went 4 (eligible) seasons without a Championship before he won it all. Gillispie lasted 2 years before dismissal.

Calipari has not been able to get UK farther than an Elite Eight since 2015.
It has been 6 seasons since a Final Four, and, if Calipari fails to win it all next season, it will have been 10 seasons for him without a Championship - well, Cal ain't Rupp and he doesn't have 4 NC Trophies to stand behind!
(Really, it has already been 7 seasons without a FF and 10 seasons since a winning a Title - counting the covid year team -which is reasonable - they were not going to a FF, much less win a championship).

UK fans have more patience than they are given credit for, but it does eventually run out. They don't realistically expect a Championship every other year, but they do expect to be competing for it and winning more tournament games than the other blue bloods during any given 5 year period.

Ky WAS the winningest program in history for a reason: fan expectations.

You don't win a Championship if you can't make it past an Elite Eight for 7 years running....... That is not any Blue Blood fan's definition of competing.
If John Calipari doesn't reach a Final Four next season, history suggests he may be coaching his last team at UK.

I want Calipari to adjust, improve, validate his HOF legitimacy, and carry UK to a National Championship and many Final Fours for years to come. He "was" the right coach at the right time. After 18 years of being spoiled with deep benches and veteran led teams, not everyone loved the way he was winning, but there is no denying that he "was" winning, so he was given some grace and a certain amount of tolerance.
Now, he needs to be find a way to be the evolved coach for the future that the majority of BBN can get behind again. Otherwise, he needs to get out of the way and let someone else take the wheel.

Last Season, Oscar Tshiebwe fought like a warrior, every second of every game - for his family.
This year, I am concerned that John Calipari will be coaching every second - for his job!

If you are a somewhat reasonable fan, the are other ways to measure success.... and failures. But even by any and all other metrics, Calipari is also running out of success to to stand on, and tempting the patience of the BBN.

This isn't a bash Cal post. It is simply some history. We can disagree on how to interpret it, but we can't argue with the facts. The following is part of a more detailed write up I did for my personal More Horsepower 4 Kentucky Basketball FB page. If you want more numbers than you can digest, keep on reading!

Just a little of the History of UK coach's success and failure:

History of missing the tournament:
No coach since 1948 has missed the NCAA tournament 2 seasons in a row.
Calipari has now missed the tournament 2 seasons in a row and kept his job! (3 seasons if you count the covid year) (and, obviously excluding the 89-91 probation years).

History of winning games:
No coach since 1927 has won less than 12 games in one season.
In 2020/2021, Calipari only won 9 games.

History of losing games:
No coach in the known history of UK has lost more than 14 games in one season.
In 2020/2021, Calipari lost 16 games..... and, he lost 13 games in 2012/2013......and he has kept his job.

History of Sweet Sixteens:
High expectations: If UK falls short of the sweet 16 next season, it will be the only time since 1939 to go 3 seasons in a row without reaching at least a sweet 16 (4 if you count covid).

History of Elite Eights:
Since 1939, only 4 times has a UK coach fallen short of reaching an Elite Eight more than 2 seasons in a row. As of now, Calipari has missed the E8 2 seasons in a row.

History of Final Fours:
Since Rupp's retirement, only Tubby Smith has failed to make a Final Four more than 5 seasons in a row.
Calipari has now missed the Final Four 6 seasons in a row (7 counting the Covid year- you can decide if the covid team was capable of making a FF with the end of the year collapse and the Hagans debacle refusing to play (and temporarily leaving the team)).

High expectations: If Calipari doesn't make it to the Final Four next season, it will be 7 seasons without making a FF (8 counting the Covid year) - that is in rare UK coaching history since the NCAA Tournament began. (Rupp had a stretch of 7 seasons without a FF, and Tubby's stretch was 9 seasons)

History of Final Fours and keeping your job:
No UK coach has failed to make the Final Four 8 seasons in a row without being retired or fired within 1 year.

History of making it to the Title game:
It has been 7 seasons since Calipari has played in a championship game (8 if you count the Hagan's led covid year team- reasonable?).
Expectations: If Calipari falls short of the National Championship game next season (and that is a very tall order for any coach!), Coach Calipari and Tubby Smith will be the only coaches since 1941 to go more than 7 seasons in a row without playing in the National Championship game (Again, he has already surpassed that mark if you count the covid team). Tubby Smith was fired after missing the NC game 9 seasons in a row.

P.S. never let anyone call you an entitled fan - there is no such thing as an entitled fan; it is an oxymoron. Fans are the customer with all of the money that pays for the program that they support. When fans close their pocketbooks and stop following their team, programs fail.
There are only entitled coaches, admins, and sometimes, players. They work for our money. Your taxes do not pay for this program. Everytime you watch a game - you paid them through their TV contracts; everytime you buy apparel, every time you buy a ticket at Rupp and a hot dog - you pay them; everytime you buy a shoe- you pay them; if you are a booster or you buy a product that the coaches or players endorse through NIL - they get paid.
YOU are the boss. You wouldn't go back to a restaurant where an owner talked down to you or called you entitled just because you wanted good food, while throwing your money in their cash drawer. And you wouldn't go back to an amusement park with sub par rides.
You own a part of your team, your coach, your program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT