ADVERTISEMENT

8 quarterbacks on the roster, and no where to go....

Mojocat

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
The Sawyer Smith I saw play against the top 10 Florida Gators was certainly a worthy backup, and could play in the SEC. It’s clear either his wrist or shoulder or both are debilitating. Whatever physical ability he has left, he now has very little confidence. He really shouldn’t be out there - but unfortunately I don’t think we have another option. Here are the 8 quarterbacks on Kentucky’s roster:

Terry Wilson - out with knee
Sawyer Smith - playing with shoulder and wrist injuries
Walker Wood - has never taken a snap, knee surgery and 2 surgeries on right bicep
Kolbe Langhi - soph, never taken a snap
Nick Scalzo - freshman, out with knee
Patrick Delahunty - freshman, no scholarship offers I can find
Keegan Sullivan - freshman, no scholarship offers I can find
Amani Gilmore - freshman

So aside from Smith, 2 others are out for the year, and you have to wonder if Wood has anything left. 6 of the 8 have never taken a snap in college. At this point, Gilmore and Langhi are the only two options you realistically have, other than Bowden or some gimmick.

Truly a worst case scenario. At halftime of the Florida game, we were lining up and beating a top 10 team. At this point, given the situation at quarterback, you have to wonder if we have many - any? - wins left on the schedule.....

I do think it would be interesting to give Langhi a shot. 3 star out of HS and he's been in the system for a year so should have a better command of the playbook than Gilmore. Big kid too, might hold up to the beating a little better. Plus it'd be cool to see a lefty slinging the ball around. But that's me. I'm an aggressive gambler.

Sawyer has to be hurt, I believe that is the only explanation for playing like an actual QB against Florida and then looking like he has the last couple. Having said that it's really pitiful that Eddie has literally nothing in the playbook to help or Stoops won't let him call it? I'm not talking about crazy shit, annexation of Puerto Rico, flea flickers, etc... I'm talking watch good teams and OC's they run hand offs up the middle out of 9 different formations, motions, sets. If Alabama, Clemson, OU, Auburn, UGA, etc.... who can line up single tight, 3 wide, singleback and power run it every single time if they wanted don't do it and are running out of all kinds of formations what arrogance we have. How the hell are we still lining up in the most basic schemes and expecting to have it work out? Just doesn't make sense, not asking for crazy calls, asking for a little bit of misdirection every once in a while. We are so freaking vanilla and predictable how the hell do we expect to succeed?

We have to start trying to play on the offensive side of the football. I don't know what is wrong but we are in year 7 of below average QB play and the inability to score points. I know TW injured, but so is a whole lot of other teams QBs and they don't look as inept as us on that side of the ball. Last night's offense was Curry bad. We went almost 25 third downs without moving the chains. That has to be some kind of record.

Sawyer has to be hurt, I believe that is the only explanation for playing like an actual QB against Florida and then looking like he has the last couple. Having said that it's really pitiful that Eddie has literally nothing in the playbook to help or Stoops won't let him call it? I'm not talking about crazy shit, annexation of Puerto Rico, flea flickers, etc... I'm talking watch good teams and OC's they run hand offs up the middle out of 9 different formations, motions, sets. If Alabama, Clemson, OU, Auburn, UGA, etc.... who can line up single tight, 3 wide, singleback and power run it every single time if they wanted don't do it and are running out of all kinds of formations what arrogance we have. How the hell are we still lining up in the most basic schemes and expecting to have it work out? Just doesn't make sense, not asking for crazy calls, asking for a little bit of misdirection every once in a while. We are so freaking vanilla and predictable how the hell do we expect to succeed?
If the quarterback is hurt and can’t play, I don’t think you can scheme around that. You have two options - replace him or see what we saw last night. And the point of the first post is, we don’t really have a viable replacement.

To be fair, a few of those guys are probably on the roster more for their GPA than their football skills.
Yep, agreed. Of the 8, at least 3 didn’t have any scholarship offers - so they aren’t really options to play. Of the remaining 5, Gilmore is the only one not hurt - and he’s a true freshman who probably hasn’t taken a snap even in practice......

Great post and I still can’t figure out if Stoops handcuffs Gran bc everyone in the stadium and especially the defense knows what is about too happen!

Reactions: ManitouDan
Yep, agreed. Of the 8, at least 3 didn’t have any scholarship offers - so they aren’t really options to play. Of the remaining 5, Gilmore is the only one not hurt - and he’s a true freshman who probably hasn’t taken a snap even in practice......
Hasn't taken a snap in practice? If that's the case then these coaches are even more clueless than I thought. I mean he's the only viable backup on the team.

Hasn't taken a snap in practice? If that's the case then these coaches are even more clueless than I thought. I mean he's the only viable backup on the team.
You’re in a situation where you suddenly have to play the backup - Smith - who arrived on campus in August. Mere weeks ago. I suspect every available snap is his as they frantically try to get him up to speed. Wood is the backup to Smith, I’m guessing he’s taken enough snaps in the 3 years on campus to not take any away from Smith for him. Gilmore isn’t really in the picture. Until now.

Excellent post . In the past after looking 100% mundane against a MAC opponent nearly everyone would scream " You dummy we are " not showing anything". LOL !! . We dont have anything to show !! Backup QB or not .. Did we run a single RB screen last night ? I dont even think we ran a draw . I think we tip whats going on by our simplistic sets . And this is big boy football against SEC talent .. you cant be so damn simple .

Excellent post . In the past after looking 100% mundane against a MAC opponent nearly everyone would scream " You dummy we are " not showing anything". LOL !! . We dont have anything to show !! Backup QB or not .. Did we run a single RB screen last night ? I dont even think we ran a draw . I think we tip whats going on by our simplistic sets . And this is big boy football against SEC talent .. you cant be so damn simple .
need more WR screens...they have to work sometime...armirite?

Woods was warming up on the sidelines before the Bowdin-led touchdown drive. He looked surprised when he didn’t go in, even the tv guys mentioned it. That would have been a good opportunity to see what he could do. It may be too risky to play Bowdin there full-time until Smith heals up.

Should have burned Gilmores redshirt before he transfers and just let the talented freshman learn on the job and take over the next three years. He's a Russell Wilson true dual threat type. Smith isn't going to be a threat to run so we are predictable. lose now to win later at least instead of a wasted season on a guy that wont play ever again for us. Then TW has to win his job back if he comes back healthy if at all.

I hope that the staff is working with Gilmore. We need a backup other than Bowden. GO CATS!!

1. THe walkon's....I'm not counting that. Every school has guys on roster at QB but they aren't legit.
2. Stinks that Terry got hurt and double stinks that Scalzo goes down
3. The transfer portal fiasco of Danny Clark and Gunnar Hoak stinks even more
4. Sawyer is a tough kid...but he's in over his head and to be frank...he was a bad decision maker before he presumably got dinged up. He tries to compensate for lack of talent with risky passes and he comes up snake-eyes way more than we can withstand.
5. Walker Wood needs to graduate and move on...he has been passed up by just about every QB.
6. Gilmore may not be even close....but I'd go ahead and prep him for a limited package for the last part of season...we'll likely be in 6 game contention until the end. To worry with preserving a RS when you have Scalzo and Beau Allen on the way feels sort of a waste....a QB is very likely to after Terry WIlson leaves and we find a new starter.

Need to seriously consider getting the true frosh ready over the bye week, playing him the next 3, then play SS down the home stretch if he is healthy and able.

This way the Gilmore kid gets some legit run but doesn't burn a RS and SS gets some time to heal up.

Reactions: Lost In FL
Uh, QB isn't the only problem with our offense.

Our receivers rarely get open and continue to run the wrong routes. They also drop passes
consistently.

Our offensive coordinator is a complete idiot that has no idea what he's doing.

Our offensive line was terrible last night also.

If the quarterback is hurt and can’t play, I don’t think you can scheme around that. You have two options - replace him or see what we saw last night. And the point of the first post is, we don’t really have a viable replacement.
I understand what you're saying but i do respectfully disagree. Why can't you line up gun, trips right, single left, motion one of the trips and then run it up the middle? Make the defense have any thought that we may do something other than what it's clear we're going to do. Last year or even the last couple years we could sort of do it because Benny could have 8/9 in the box and get 4 yards regardless. Especially with the threat of Terry keeping and getting the edge. We don't have that now. This is the exact moment where you have to shine up the turd so to speak. Again I'll just say we are so simplistic, vanilla, predictable, however you want to call it, makes so sense to me to not run the same play out of multiple sets, with variations. Ask yourself this just for reference, how often do we go wildcat? Now how often do we actually give the ball to motion man or the running back? It's seemingly never. The defense doesn't ever have to worry about the anything over than Lynn, AJ, or Smoke keeping the ball. They can completely sell out. Now apply that to basically ever other play we run. Like I said in my original post, just doesn't make sense. If Bama, Clemson, OU, UGA, Auburn etc... who can line up simplistically every time, for every play don't do that, why the hell should Kentucky?

Reactions: Mojocat
I do think it would be interesting to give Langhi a shot. 3 star out of HS and he's been in the system for a year so should have a better command of the playbook than Gilmore. Big kid too, might hold up to the beating a little better. Plus it'd be cool to see a lefty slinging the ball around. But that's me. I'm an aggressive gambler.
Langhi was a 2-star with an offer from EKU according to this site. Regardless, if SS is so banged up (and I think he is), then you HAVE to play the healthy guys. my vote is "free Gilmore!" You have 2 weeks to get him ready for Arky. If he plays well, then let SS heal longer.

That's why I (don't) get paid the big bucks...

Bowden is the clear answer. Not sure why this is even a question. "Oh he risks injury." THAT IS FOOTBALL. Every play that you touch the ball it is the case. And certainly we saw them put Bowden in on the "hands team" and he almost got hurt there. At QB he will make our running game more effective because he is a real RPO threat to pull it. Smith is/was not. The time to do this is now. There will not be a single player on offense who will have confidence in any on that list above. Confidence is the biggest thing in a leader on the field. The team had no confidence in Smith and it showed, injury or not.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
If Sawyer Smith can’t go give the freshman a shot for 4 games with Langhi as the backup or vice versa give smith 4 to 6 weeks to heal and reboot if he has something broke that will heal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT