ADVERTISEMENT

5 teams vying for the 4 3 seeds

Sep 3, 2022
Assuming the top 8 are set with Purdue, Yconn, Houston, Tenn, UNC, Zona, Iowa st and Marquette….cant see UK jumping anyone there. So then it’s Duke, Baylor, Creighton, Illinois, and UK fighting for the 3 seeds. Might be tough to crack that 3 line.

Assuming the top 8 are set with Purdue, Yconn, Houston, Tenn, UNC, Zona, Iowa st and Marquette….cant see UK jumping anyone there. So then it’s Duke, Baylor, Creighton, Illinois, and UK fighting for the 3 seeds. Might be tough to crack that 3 line.
The current Bracket Matrix (updated yesterday) has us as the top 4 seed with the 3 seeds being (in order) Baylor, Creighton, Duke, Kansas. Alabama and Illinois are right behind us on the 4 line. It's going to be close as far as 3 seed goes. We certainly need to win our first game in the SECT and quite possibly the first two games for a 3 seed. Obviously will help if those around us lose early in their conference tourney.

The current Bracket Matrix (updated yesterday) has us as the top 4 seed with the 3 seeds being (in order) Baylor, Creighton, Duke, Kansas. Alabama and Illinois are right behind us on the 4 line. It's going to be close as far as 3 seed goes. We certainly need to win our first game in the SECT and quite possibly the first two games for a 3 seed. Obviously will help if those around us lose early in their conference tourney.

What I realized about Bracket Matrix is that it definitely lags a little bit. There's still a lot of movement we will see today. For instance, Duke and Baylor still have some 2-seeds, and we know that can't be true after both lost over the weekend.

What I realized about Bracket Matrix is that it definitely lags a little bit. There's still a lot of movement we will see today. For instance, Duke and Baylor still have some 2-seeds, and we know that can't be true after both lost over the weekend.
Yeah, that's a good point I saw someone make earlier. Will be interesting to see the next update hopefully prior to the SECT. This is also why I'll root for Florida if they end up playing Bama in the SECT with Bama right around us on the seed line.

lol at KU being over us. That’s hot garbage. We just beat a potential one seed at their place. KU lost to a potential one seed on the road by THIRTY That alone should vault us over them.

We’re also the only team in the country to have four top 10 net wins with two of them on the road.

We should be a three. Period.

If you scroll to the right more, you'll see a lot of people still hadn't updated since Friday, where UK was a 5 seed for many of them

So when they update, even if they give us a 4 seed, that's going to bring our average up quite a bit.

I think if BM was fully updated across the board, we'd be firmly in the 3 seed line.

I never expect any favors from the committee, but I have a hard time seeing all of those teams above UK. I also think a one seed would have a legit gripe if UK ends up a 4 seed.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Kansas is probably gonna rest their starters this week and just say screw the big 12 tourney. I don’t get bama being anywhere near a 3 seed at all. Illinois can lose first game or win it all. But from Kentuckys perspective, if they win one game I think they fell good about getting the 3 seed, if they win 2 they feel really good about getting the 3 seed, and if they win the SEC tourney then they might have a chance at the last 2 seed

I miss the days when your record, how the team performed down the stretch and the “eye test” determined where you were seeded.
Unless you and Florida were playing in the championship on Sunday and competing for the same seed line.

UK won the game and UF got the seed line.

FOREVER Soured me on the Sunday SEC Championship game.

Kansas and/or duke as a 3 over UK is a joke! Especially duke! Who have they beaten?!

Reactions: mcwildcats04
I miss the days when your record, how the team performed down the stretch and the “eye test” determined where you were seeded.

As long as a committee of human beings are ultimately making the final call on seeding which they are, those things still very much matter.

I don’t understand why Duke is even being considered. They suck!!
Well they don’t suck, good all around team but certainly not deserving of a 2 seed and probably not even a 3. The ACC being as weak as they are and Duke losing 5 ACC games should drop them a seed line below what they deserve at a minimum. Their lone victory they have to flaunt is Baylor before Christmas and they have two losses to teams with losing records in Georgia tech and Arkansas.

Speaking of Arkansas, I think they are a dark horse to keep an eye on in the sect. They are playing their best ball of the season these past 10 days despite dropping 2 of 3. Could be wrong but they seemed prime to create a little havoc in Nashville.

Have a bad feeling we get under seeded as a 5. Hope I’m wrong
Even Jerry Palm (who notoriously under seeds us in his Mickey Mouse brackets) bumped us to a 4 after the Tennessee win. So long as we win our first SECt game, we are a 4 seed at minimum, but really should be a 3

Even Jerry Palm (who notoriously under seeds us in his Mickey Mouse brackets) bumped us to a 4 after the Tennessee win. So long as we win our first SECt game, we are a 4 seed at minimum, but really should be a 3

I think we are locked into a 3 if we win Friday night. Just my gut opinion. We want get punished for losing a close game to say alabama on Saturday. I think UK would beat bama again anyways but just saying.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
If you scroll to the right more, you'll see a lot of people still hadn't updated since Friday, where UK was a 5 seed for many of them

So when they update, even if they give us a 4 seed, that's going to bring our average up quite a bit.

I think if BM was fully updated across the board, we'd be firmly in the 3 seed line.
I just dumped the Bracket Matrix current rankings into Excel and played around with the rankings that haven’t been updated since 3/8 or 3/9. If we assume we see the same percentage of those brackets bumping UK to a 3 and dropping KU to a 4 that we saw on the 3/10 updates, it looks like we’d still fall a little short of catching KU.

Our average would be 3.71; KU’s would be 3.31.

I could be wrong but if we’re using BM as a guide, it looks like our easiest path to a 3 is KU bouncing in qtrs or semis of Big 12 and UK making semis (probably finals to be safe) of SECT

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I think if we take care of our business there's a fair chance we end up on the 3 line.

KU won't be the favorite in that Big 12 tournament.
Wonder if being the 6 seed and having an additional game will help them

Baylor will be favored in that KU/Baylor game and if they get past that Iowa St will also be favored.

Conversely we'ld be an underdog vs Alabama but they are kind of falling a bit.

I think if we take care of our business there's a fair chance we end up on the 3 line.

KU won't be the favorite in that Big 12 tournament.
Wonder if being the 6 seed and having an additional game will help them

Baylor will be favored in that KU/Baylor game and if they get past that Iowa St will also be favored.

Conversely we'ld be an underdog vs Alabama but they are kind of falling a bit.
Good news is one of Baylor/KU has to lose in that potential second game for KU (first for Baylor) and we're battling both for seeding. We should certainly jump KU if they lose that (and we at least win our first SECT game) but there's also a case to be made we would jump Baylor as well if they lose their first game.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
I just dumped the Bracket Matrix current rankings into Excel and played around with the rankings that haven’t been updated since 3/8 or 3/9. If we assume we see the same percentage of those brackets bumping UK to a 3 and dropping KU to a 4 that we saw on the 3/10 updates, it looks like we’d still fall a little short of catching KU.

Our average would be 3.71; KU’s would be 3.31.

I could be wrong but if we’re using BM as a guide, it looks like our easiest path to a 3 is KU bouncing in qtrs or semis of Big 12 and UK making semis (probably finals to be safe) of SECT

There's still some other weird things with BM. Take a look at DRatings rank of Kansas on March 10th, after their blowout loss. Still a #2. And that just cant be right. On his actual website, he did drop Kansas to a 3 as of today.

Unfortunately, while it seems BM is on the right track, the data might be lagging along with ingesting that data correctly.

Reactions: FiveStarCat
1. Get to Sunday game (that game won't matter win or lose) in seeding.
2. I truly don't see Illinois or Kansas ahead of UK right now. with Dickinson out...I truly don't see them doing much in Big 12 tourney regardless.

UK controls destiny to a 3 seed IMO.

Win the SEC in convincing fashion and we are definitely a 3, with an outside shot at the last 2, depending on who else loses.

Duke has played against a ranked opponent twice since the middle of December.....UNC both times and they lost both times. So I don't care that they have less losses when they play in a mid major conference. 🤣
Ding ... winner !

I'm comfortable thinking Kentucky will get a three seed, which, for this team, would be good. NO ONE SEED wants to see UK as their #4 potential matchup, period. So either way, I'm good to go. Remarkable journey this team has accomplished so far.

Maybe saving the best for last ?

Let's hope so.

Go Big Blue

Make the SECT final and we are a lock 3 seed. Lose before then and we are playing with fire.
We are a 4 at worst currently and a 2 at best IMO. To get a 2 we need help with others losing early in conference tournaments. We most likely have nothing but Quad 1 games left so wins help and losses won't matter much. That being said lets just win.

I’m at work and can’t look it up myself….anybody got the Quad 1 & 2 wins records for UK,Baylor,KU,Creighton & Illinois.

We are a 4 at worst currently and a 2 at best IMO. To get a 2 we need help with others losing early in conference tournaments. We most likely have nothing but Quad 1 games left so wins help and losses won't matter much. That being said lets just win.
It’s soooooooo dumb the SEC is willing to go along with the money grab and won’t move the conference championship game back. The Committee years ago formally asked the SEC and Big Ten to move the championship games back and both conferences refused so those HUGE game are rarely considered. Can you imagine if the SEC football championship wasn’t considered for CFP rankings???

We played too many bad teams early, and it will probably cost us. Had we shifted a few games from Q3 to Q2, we’d have a stronger SOS and an easy case for a 3 seed or higher.

As things stand, we’ve left the committee all the room they need to make us a 4 without batting an eye.

If the committee takes injuries into account, it doesn’t make sense that they don’t more heavily weigh recent games over games played in Nov/Dec.

A team like Kentucky is infinitely more improved than they were in Nov thanks to our freshman growing up and the bigs all cleared/healthy. It takes the same amount of mental energy to predict how current Kentucky would handle UNCG, etc than it would to imagine how Marquette would have fared if Kolek played in all his games, etc

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT