ADVERTISEMENT

25 years have gone by........

Feb 27, 2015
......since the greatest college basketball game that has ever been played, the 1992 East Regional Final between Duke and Kentucky in Philadelphia. I know UK fans, coaches and their players are still bitter but the fact we are still talking about it, and all those players and coaches on both sides are still being asked about it 25 years later, shows just how monumental it was in the history of this great game. ESPN and CBS will have some reports on it this weekend including an interview with Christian Laettner.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...-ncaa-tournament-buzzer-beater-25-years-later

I don't think it's that anyone is really bitter 25 years later. I think it's just that most UK fans find it a bit obnoxious how CBS appears to like rubbing it in everyone's face. Kind of like all of the recent ACC hype. Most of America isn't buying what's being sold, but the media pushes on. Everyone knows it was a great game, but nobody outside of Durham or the NY studios is that emotionally-stirred by it anymore. Surely Duke has achieved loftier accomplishments since then to drum their chests over. Seems a bit like an odd fixation on UK to overlook those more recent accomplishments.

Reminds me of Al Bundy living through his high school accolades. I think it's time to mothball it.

I might be wrong . . . but I doubt it.

Last edited:
That reminds me: I haven't seen the Christian Laettner shot once this entire tournament. Granted, I've been watching on the app, so there may be a different set of commercials and a little less studio screwin' around/highlight bumpers. But I haven't seen it a single time.

They show it every. single. time. the CBS coverage starts. I look away for a moment until I know it's passed. Seriously...every time.

But I ask you this:
Since it was the greatest game in the history of all games, then I'm assuming that greatness doesn't rest on one shot, right? If so, I wonder if Laettner had missed that shot, would CBS had ever once shown the Sean Woods shot that preceded it?

They show it every. single. time. the CBS coverage starts. I look away for a moment until I know it's passed. Seriously...every time.

But I ask you this:
Since it was the greatest game in the history of all games, then I'm assuming that greatness doesn't rest on one shot, right? If so, I wonder if Laettner had missed that shot, would CBS had ever once shown the Sean Woods shot that preceded it?

Probably not and while still lauded as one of the all-time classics it probably takes a step back from being labeled the greatest ever. Most shots shown this time of year are game winners as time expired. Woods' shot was fantastic and clutch but left.....well you know the rest.

Aminu Timberlake still has a Converse imprint on his chest.
Any bitterness comes from the fact that Laettner was not ejected from the game.
No Laettner, no CBS highlight...

Reactions: BlueBomb
That reminds me: I haven't seen the Christian Laettner shot once this entire tournament. Granted, I've been watching on the app, so there may be a different set of commercials and a little less studio screwin' around/highlight bumpers. But I haven't seen it a single time.

Oh it's been there..they have to crowd it a little more though, based on last year's Villanova heroics.

Yeah the march madness app doesn't really let you view the studio coverage or much of the before or after on games. I guess I'm lucky I don't have to see it every time!

Actually the anniversary isn't until next Tuesday. So it hasn't been 25 years yet.

Also, I still hate Laettner.

In OT there was 5 lead changes in that game in the last minute. Both coaches just let the teams play. No milking the shot clock. That's why is was so great,

In OT there was 5 lead changes in that game in the last minute. Both coaches just let the teams play. No milking the shot clock. That's why is was so great,
no one can challenge that was probably the greatest NCAA game (although, last year's between Nova and unc** can make an argument for several reasons)
And no one can argue that Laettner's shot was pretty incredible (damn you Pitino, for not guarding the inbounds pass).

UK fans don't hate Laettner for that shot - the hate for him comes for his punk ass, dirty play

Reactions: Cawood86
Also 25 years ago today. Notice Bill Raftery looks absolutely as old then as he does now.
Darren Rovell‏Verified account@darrenrovell 5m5 minutes ago
25 Years Ago Today: John Calipari's UMass team beats Syracuse in OT, makes Sweet 16

C7hh0WGVQAALG2w.jpg

Last edited:
I watched the play dozens of times and yes, he gets the shot off before the buzzer, but, if you watch it, frame by frame, the clock doesn't start when he touches the ball. All the stripes can do is make the call on if he releases it before time runs out, not if the clock started correctly. If the clock operator starts it when he first touches the ball, he would have never gotten it off in time. And yes, the sob should have been tossed for the Timberlake issue.

I see it everytime CBS signs on (watching TV)

Last years Nova game is much more important in history because it decided a National Championship. Duke - UK was not even a final four game. Laettner's shot has been hyped way too much and we all know why.

Why don't we see the shots made by Harrison over and over again. We all know why

no one can challenge that was probably the greatest NCAA game (although, last year's between Nova and unc** can make an argument for several reasons)
And no one can argue that Laettner's shot was pretty incredible (damn you Pitino, for not guarding the inbounds pass).

UK fans don't hate Laettner for that shot - the hate for him comes for his punk ass, dirty play
I can't say when I've seen you so . . . so . . . less-than . . . charming/pleasant. :scream::flushed:[jumpingsmile]

Reactions: Bkocats
I see it everytime CBS signs on (watching TV)

Last years Nova game is much more important in history because it decided a National Championship. Duke - UK was not even a final four game. Laettner's shot has been hyped way too much and we all know why.

Why don't we see the shots made by Harrison over and over again. We all know why

I was shocked (no pun intended) they didn't show Aaron Harrison's shot in 2014 during our recent game with Wichita St. I mean the entire thing was set up to be a "revenge game" and I didn't see it once during the telecast (they may have shown it pregame).

I was shocked (no pun intended) they didn't show Aaron Harrison's shot in 2014 during our recent game with Wichita St. I mean the entire thing was set up to be a "revenge game" and I didn't see it once during the telecast (they may have shown it pregame).
That is what I am talking about. I didn't see it either.

Reactions: Bkocats

But I ask you this:
Wonder no longer my friend. NO, they would not have shown it again THAT NIGHT let alone the 4237 times they've played it since. Glad I was able to help.

Reactions: BlueBomb
Dook has had dirty punk players since K has been there. Ain't no coincidence either.
His bloated sense of self worth and arrogance becomes ingrained in his players..
How in the world do they find all of these guys that are like this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT