ADVERTISEMENT

2018 NFL Season Thread

A coaching change might be all that's needed. Still, you don't pass on Darnold or Rosen, and there's a good chance one will be available. The Colts are bad, but that whole division is bad.. very likely the AFC South's worst team still has 2+ wins.. and that's not good enough to beat out the Jets (nor the Bengals).

At the very least, you shop that pick to the dozen or so teams that need a premier QB. Turn that top3 pick into a hefty haul like that Rams/Skins trade a few years back..

My Jets have only two winable games and both are coming up soon.. Jacksonville and @Cleveland.. and both those teams look to be on the rise. If the Jets can't win either of those games, they are going 0-16 or maybe 1-15.. They are not good enough to get a win in their division, save from maybe Buffalo at home.

I agree Lewis needs to go. I'd bet money he doesn't get fired during the season. This is his last year on his contract and Mike Brown isn't going to pay to fire Marvin during the season. I think there's a better chance of Marvin coaching next season than there is Marvin getting canned this year as crazy as that sounds.

I don't think getting rid of Dalton is the answer. He's been bad but I think all their problems start up front. Their play calling reflects how they have 0 confidence in their line. My worry is Dalton is panicking and he's never done well when he's been pressured, but if he can get an offensive line that can block consistently he'll be fine. Getting a new QB doesn't slove what I think is their biggest problems: coaching (head coach and oc) and offensive line.

Who cares if he gets fired during the season? They're not promoting anyone from their current staff so a new hire wouldn't be made until the seasons over anyway.

Reactions: warrior-cat
I'll put some action on Lewis getting fired before the season is over. He's been in the hot seat for what seems like years. You drop games to the Browns and I think they pull the trigger. Interim coach to see how it goes, and then make the final coaching decision after the season.

At the very least, you shop that pick to the dozen or so teams that need a premier QB. Turn that top3 pick into a hefty haul like that Rams/Skins trade a few years back..

You're right, but Mike Brown has never been that savvy. There were incredible opportunities to do that in the past, but he never took advantage.

The Bengals are making sure I have lots of free time on Sundays for DIY around the house.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Fellas, fellas, love your concern and analysis. Very good posts. But you guys surely know that nothing will ever change with the Bengals unless they are sold and that will not likely ever happen. Draft QB, hire a new coach and staff, won't matter. Mike Brown is only interested in money and being an owner in the NFL. Winning is not even top 5 for him.
I would recommend either trying to find another team or dropping the Bengals completely.
They're not worth the angst or time. Just my opinion.

My Jets have only two winable games and both are coming up soon.. Jacksonville and @Cleveland.. and both those teams look to be on the rise. If the Jets can't win either of those games, they are going 0-16 or maybe 1-15.. They are not good enough to get a win in their division, save from maybe Buffalo at home.
The Jags and Browns are both mediocre teams now, no way the Jets beat them.

I don't see anyway the Jets win more than 2 games. They are bad all around and have a good number of starters who would be 2nd or 3rd string on a lot of other teams. It's also pretty evident that they are tanking as they are trading players to stock draft picks.

They'll for certain get a top3 pick, but probably #1 overall. Thankfully they are doing this right: bottom out, clean house, build through draft, start new.

Mike Brown will never fire someone he has to pay. Marv will finish his deal and be retained if he agrees to work cheap.

Zampese should be fired today. There's too much talent on that roster to be this bad.

Finally, if an NFL defense holds its opponent to less than 14 ppg and wins field position most of the night, that team should win. Also the Bungles had more punts (12) than points (9). Pathetic.

Mike Brown will never fire someone he has to pay. Marv will finish his deal and be retained if he agrees to work cheap.

Zampese should be fired today. There's too much talent on that roster to be this bad.

Finally, if an NFL defense holds its opponent to less than 14 ppg and wins field position most of the night, that team should win. Also the Bungles had more punts (12) than points (9). Pathetic.
Going 0-2 in games where the Bengals defense has held opponents to 20 points and 13 points and lost both games is pathetic. Granted the Ravens stopped trying to score and were just determined not to make a mistake to let the Bengals back in it, but still.

You bengals fans are also missing a big point. They need to start joe mixon, give Jeremy hill 0 carries and move Giovanni Bernard to slot WR. The 3 rb system is pretty retarded, no RB ever finds his momentum in the offense and is scared to lose carries trying to make a play.

Reactions: jameslee32
Mike Brown doesn't care about winning, just making money. And he can make plenty of money while losing football games. AJ McCarron isn't any better, we've seen him as a starter.

Looks like you got your wish. Doubt it makes much of a difference though. Who knows though, maybe different play calling styles (QB coach Bill Lazor gets the interim OC job now) shakes things up a little.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
You bengals fans are also missing a big point. They need to start joe mixon, give Jeremy hill 0 carries and move Giovanni Bernard to slot WR. The 3 rb system is pretty retarded, no RB ever finds his momentum in the offense and is scared to lose carries trying to make a play.

This is 100% accurate. Other than atmins last night Mixon looked to be the most talented player they had, and they quit throwing at AJ for some reason. 2 games and 13 targets aren't going to cut it for him.

That Oline is awful but so was paying Dalton so there has to be cheap players somewhere!

Jags may have best defense in AFC now. Not sure how they've done that, but all the sudden have loaded up.

It's not all of a sudden. 2 years ago their top 2 picks didn't play due to preseason injuries, and then last year they took Ramsey and Myles Jack who couldn't play until this year.

Then they signed Calias Campbell and they are very young, but will be very good for years to come.

Wow! You got it!

Maybe it's warranted since I didn't see much improvement minus the first drive of the 2nd half. But yeah, you're correct that they have a lot of talent on offense. Just too young in key spots perhaps. Bill Lazor can't change that. And as good as the defense has looked, they get worn out at the end of half's, make stoopid penalties and can't get an interception to save their life.

That's 3 gifted Superbowls, and what will probably be a 1-seed, Bye and home field advantage. Duke or the Pats, I really can't decide which team has used more blind luck, assistance from the league, cheating, etc.. to get wins.

Reactions: -Mav-
Absolutely the correct call based on the way the rule is written.

Bad rule? I think so. But it's hard to blame the officials for enforcing it.

Ben is an idiot - kick the FG there and go to OT.

Reactions: jameslee32
If the one in last week's Vikings/Panthers game wasn't a touchdown, that one by Pittsburgh wasn't either.

So at least they're consistent in going by the terrible rule.

(The Vikings are 11-3 with Case Keenum as the starting quarterback and I don't know what to do with my arms and legs right now)

Reactions: Mashburned
It’s mindboggling that a player can catch the ball, tuck it, extend with both hands clearly in control of the ball while breaking the plane of the goal line, and it’s not a touchdown — yet someone can fly like Superman with one arm extended while a sliver of the ball passes over the apex of the pylon, then lose the ball when he lands out of bounds, and it IS a touchdown.

Yeah, I’d say it’s a bad rule.

2013-11-2316_34_19.gif

(Yes I know I posted a UK/college play, but it’s the first one I found and the rule is the same in the NFL)

It’s mindboggling that a player can catch the ball, tuck it, extend with both hands clearly in control of the ball while breaking the plane of the goal line, and it’s not a touchdown — yet someone can fly like Superman with one arm extended while a sliver of the ball passes over the apex of the pylon, then lose the ball when he lands out of bounds, and it IS a touchdown.

Yeah, I’d say it’s a bad rule.

2013-11-2316_34_19.gif

(Yes I know I posted a UK/college play, but it’s the first one I found and the rule is the same in the NFL)

That's a different play altogether though. In that case, the ball breaking the plane ends the play and results in a TD. Not the case when it comes to the play in question tonight.

Last edited:
That's a different play altogether though. In that case, the all breaking the plan ends the play and results in a TD. Not the case when it comes to the play in question tonight.
I’m admittedly dumb, but I honestly don’t understand why breaking the goal plane wouldn’t be a TD in both cases. I know there was a rule change c. 2010-11 regarding tonight’s play, but I am truly confused.

I’m admittedly dumb, but I honestly don’t understand why breaking the goal plane wouldn’t be a TD in both cases. I know there was a rule change c. 2010-11 regarding tonight’s play, but I am truly confused.

Yeah, it's a bad rule. It was meant to reduce subjectivity in regards to officials making a decision on what's a catch and what isn't, but it defies logic.

The problem is that there just wasn't enough evidence to over turn that. Regardless of whatever the rule was.. It was a touchdown first and while it looked like it may have bobbled slightly... There just wasn't enough to overturn it.

And for such an amazing play.. Done by the home team no less.. You don't take that away from them unless there's much more solid evidence..

Just kills me that this sort of shit never happens to the Pats.. They only benefit from it. 4 plays.. Just 4.. Are the difference between the Pats being a dynasty or them living in 2003 and no one even puts Brady near the word GOAT.

The problem is that there just wasn't enough evidence to over turn that. Regardless of whatever the rule was.. It was a touchdown first and while it looked like it may have bobbled slightly... There just wasn't enough to overturn it.

And for such an amazing play.. Done by the home team no less.. You don't take that away from them unless there's much more solid evidence..

Just kills me that this sort of shit never happens to the Pats.. They only benefit from it. 4 plays.. Just 4.. Are the difference between the Pats being a dynasty or them living in 2003 and no one even puts Brady near the word GOAT.

To be fair, 2 of the greatest playoff catches off all time also went against them. They could easily be 7-0 in the SB.

As for evidence, the ball hitting the ground and turning a quarter rotation was clear as day. The way the rule is written, that is 100% not a catch.

Reactions: dezyDeco and -Mav-
To be fair, 2 of the greatest playoff catches off all time also went against them. They could easily be 7-0 in the SB.

As for evidence, the ball hitting the ground and turning a quarter rotation was clear as day. The way the rule is written, that is 100% not a catch.

The problem with the two Giants superbowls was that those were fair plays. Amazing, unreal plays, sure. And 2011 was much more of solid victory.. Giants were probably going to win that anyways. They were hammering Brady and that game felt like a Giants win not long into the game.

On the flipside:

Tuck rule
Seattle not running the ball
Falcons inexplicably changing their entire game plan in the 2nd half
.. And now this.

These weren't plays made by the Pats. It wasn't anything they did. It was other teams or the league causing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: -Mav- and JohnKBA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT