ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Duke vs. #12 Texas Tech - ESPN2

Jack white was the 226th ranked player in his class. The fact he’s contributing at all, much less at such a high level, is a testament to K

You don'[t think.. that it couldn't POSSIBLY be the fact that he has 3 of the top 5 recruits, another op10 recruit, and a top20 holdover around him?

If coach K is SO damn good, why was Jack White getting 5mpg his first two years doing virtually nothing?

I'm really getting tired of the stupidity.

You don'[t think.. that it couldn't POSSIBLY be the fact that he has 3 of the top 5 recruits, another op10 recruit, and a top20 holdover around him?

If coach K is SO damn good, why was Jack White getting 5mpg his first two years doing virtually nothing?

I'm really getting tired of the stupidity.
Because he wasn’t ready to contribute?

Reactions: Jacket4
Yeah, no doubt. I love sports. Golf and Horse Racing are probably my favorites, but without a doubt, the NCAA tournament is by far the most exciting sporting event on earth. I also get a real hardon for the Conference tournaments.

Oh, by the way, I love College Football. It’s a total hardon from September until the title game.
I really don’t know if I could handle a hardon that often. Well hell, I’m probably the same way but ignore it. When college football starts, my whole inner self is inflamed with joy. I can’t contain it. Never noticed the hardon though. I prolly need to check.

Also, #41 Jack White is the type of player coaches beg for. A tough hard nose kid who has done nothing but work hard for every minute he gets. When he is on the floor he bust his butt for every 50 50 ball and rebound. His stand still 3 point shot has been fantastic.

Kid isn't ever going to be a star amd he knows it. So he does all the little things that's needed for a team contending for a championship. Love kids like him, puts everything else on hold and is only focused on winning, no ego whatsoever.

This post reminded me of Hawkins beating UL a few years back. Those type of players are the most fun to root for as a CBB fan, to me anyway.

Reactions: Jacket4
You really think he regressed though? Those are pretty small sample sizes, especially his freshman year.

He didn't get any better. Shot worse. If Jack White was so good, he wouldn't be in the 200's.. and he would have gotten more burn last year.

It's nothing against him, EVERYONE looks good playing next to RJ< Cam and Zion. Can you imagine Hump or Poythress or Lee playing with those guys? Same thing.

But we can certainly check back in next season. I expect White to shoot 45/36 with 7 rebounds a game.

He didn't get any better. Shot worse. If Jack White was so good, he wouldn't be in the 200's.. and he would have gotten more burn last year.

It's nothing against him, EVERYONE looks good playing next to RJ< Cam and Zion. Can you imagine Hump or Poythress or Lee playing with those guys? Same thing.

But we can certainly check back in next season. I expect White to shoot 45/36 with 7 rebounds a game.

He took 9 shots total his freshman year....

Also 45/36 isn’t anything to write home about. Let’s check in next year! I look forward to it.

I've been saying since the beginning - muddy the waters in the lane and you can beat Duke. They can't shoot for $#*&. The fact that they needed Jack White to win this game should set off warning signals for Duke fans.

Jack white was the 226th ranked player in his class. The fact he’s contributing at all, much less at such a high level, is a testament to K

This is so damn stupid.

First off, the only reason White had that low ranking is because he played his high school ball in Australia, thus the folks that do the rankings here simply didn't get a proper chance to see him. But he's obviously a more talented player than that, if he'd played his high school ball in the US he would've been ranked far higher.

Second, there's NOTHING particularly impressive about a player that low ranked contributing as a non-starter off the bench as a third year junior. Every school has had those guys (can you guess where Josh Harrelson was ranked?). It ain't "a testament to Coach K" at all.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
If you guys are having hardon's lasting more than 4 hours, you need to be calling a doctor. Sez so right on the bottle.

I didn’t think Tre Jones would be as good as he is. It’s possible Zion and Barrett draw so much attention it’s easier for the others.

I’m also stunned at how good they’ve been on defense. Especially starting 4 freshman. None of which were known for D in high school other than Zion blocking 5’9 junior high kids. K’s teams recently have really struggled on that end. Even the year they won it they went into the tourney with the 70th best defense.

Sure 1 post bud. Might had a bit to do with TT D. Too bad their OFF. is garbage. Dook sucks!
TT struggling might have had something to do with Duke’s fantastic D. Their offense isn’t that bad. They still average about 77 points a game. Yeah, Duke sucks so hard they have a 4-1 record against the top 25.

I’ve always said it and will continue to do so.

If there’s a thread about Duke whether it’s complaining about refs, about K, about NCAA treatment of Duke, about a Duke game, about recruiting or cheating to get recruits or media bias or how there’s an asterisk or easy bracket in the tournament, Duke players current and former etc etc etc etc etc etc

I’m going to post in it. I enjoy the hate. It gives me pleasure.

So you're admitting to being a troll?

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
I saw some of the game. Both teams played poorly. TT played a little better early (still turned the ball over like it had oil on it) and Duke played better later. The problem I have with Duke is not with their Coach (who curses at the refs after every foul but is a much better version of Bobby Knight), their players, or even their fans (too smug and arrogant IMO). The problem is that ESPN has become the Duke channel and that is all they talk about (and how they market ESPN+). Dick Vitale only got excited when Duke did something. He was almost quiet when Tech was up. And the rest of the media has joined in. They have crowned this Duke team good enough to beat an NBA team. They have said the team could go undefeated. They have made Zion Williamson (a good player with amazing athleticism) the next Lebron James. IMO, Alabama is a much better football team than Duke is a basketball team. Alabama should win the Championship, Duke could win it. Neither is a lock. Let's see how the season plays out but, at this point, our 2015 team was better than what I have seen from Duke this year. The hype victory goes 100% to Duke.

I saw some of the game. Both teams played poorly. TT played a little better early (still turned the ball over like it had oil on it) and Duke played better later. The problem I have with Duke is not with their Coach (who curses at the refs after every foul but is a much better version of Bobby Knight), their players, or even their fans (too smug and arrogant IMO). The problem is that ESPN has become the Duke channel and that is all they talk about (and how they market ESPN+). Dick Vitale only got excited when Duke did something. He was almost quiet when Tech was up. And the rest of the media has joined in. They have crowned this Duke team good enough to beat an NBA team. They have said the team could go undefeated. They have made Zion Williamson (a good player with amazing athleticism) the next Lebron James. IMO, Alabama is a much better football team than Duke is a basketball team. Alabama should win the Championship, Duke could win it. Neither is a lock. Let's see how the season plays out but, at this point, our 2015 team was better than what I have seen from Duke this year. The hype victory goes 100% to Duke.

Vitale was raving about Culver most the game.

Vitale was raving about Culver most the game.
Not in the parts I saw. Culver seemed to be the only quality player on TT but I didn't hear Vitale rave about anyone but Duke players (Jones, Barrett, Williamson, Reddish, White). They are all really good players. I think Jones is the most important player on their team but Duke isn't the GS Warriors but ESPN hypes them as if they are.

Woof, some real reaches here. I know some folks hate so much they get a bit blinded, but...

Duke had a BRUTAL game... just brutal... with the young guys struggling... terrible shooting... Zion playing fouling out... RJ having every shot rim out... Cam losing the ball constantly... and STILL Duke gutted it out. For a super young team in a big time game in an environment like that against a veteran team which is down the whole game to NOT give up, to dig down and find a way to win regardless... that's ONLY positive. Per KenPom, Duke is now the #2 offense and the #3 defense. Love it.

And anyone who thinks Jack White has REGRESSED is a moron of unbelievable proportions. I don't think anyone truly could believe that. Kid has really done well. Not only is he rebounding well, but his D, his talking, and the number of tips and plays he influences... he is doing GREAT for his role. Kids like him usually take some time to be ready to contribute, but he has really stepped up. Great kid doing a swell job as captain.

I’ve always said it and will continue to do so.

If there’s a thread about Duke whether it’s complaining about refs, about K, about NCAA treatment of Duke, about a Duke game, about recruiting or cheating to get recruits or media bias or how there’s an asterisk or easy bracket in the tournament, Duke players current and former etc etc etc etc etc etc

I’m going to post in it. I enjoy the hate. It gives me pleasure.
Translation - "I am an asshole and I am always going to be an asshole. #ImPrivilegedImDuke"

Woof, some real reaches here. I know some folks hate so much they get a bit blinded, but...

Duke had a BRUTAL game... just brutal... with the young guys struggling... terrible shooting... Zion playing fouling out... RJ having every shot rim out... Cam losing the ball constantly... and STILL Duke gutted it out. For a super young team in a big time game in an environment like that against a veteran team which is down the whole game to NOT give up, to dig down and find a way to win regardless... that's ONLY positive. Per KenPom, Duke is now the #2 offense and the #3 defense. Love it.

And anyone who thinks Jack White has REGRESSED is a moron of unbelievable proportions. I don't think anyone truly could believe that. Kid has really done well. Not only is he rebounding well, but his D, his talking, and the number of tips and plays he influences... he is doing GREAT for his role. Kids like him usually take some time to be ready to contribute, but he has really stepped up. Great kid doing a swell job as captain.

Lol.. your guys AREN'T SHOOTERS. What happened last night wasn't some anomaly.. No, what happened against Kentucky was the anomaly. And if you followed along, it was a regression from Freshman to sophomore, no matter how little. Try and keep up.

Also, reported for name calling. Rules are rules. Suggest Kentucky fans do the same. This wouldn't fly on their board so it shouldn't here.

Lol.. your guys AREN'T SHOOTERS. What happened last night wasn't some anomaly.. No, what happened against Kentucky was the anomaly. And if you followed along, it was a regression from Freshman to sophomore, no matter how little. Try and keep up.

Also, reported for name calling. Rules are rules. Suggest Kentucky fans do the same. This wouldn't fly on their board so it shouldn't here.

I think the Kentucky and TT games were both anomalies. They shot much better than their reasonable ability against Kentucky and much worse than that against TT. I would say who they actually are as shooters is somewhere in between.

Honestly though Texas Tech played terribly too. Got some good individual play from Culver but they looked like garbage through much of that game.

Constant turnovers. Erratic play down the stretch. Putrid shot selection.

The one thing Texas Tech did was they sprinted back defensively and wouldn't let Duke run. They also slowed it down to a molasses drip on the offensive end, which has given Duke problems in most every game I've seen. Duke can be had if you play methodical like that, but you absolutely have to take care of the ball.

I think the Kentucky and TT games were both anomalies. They shot much better than their reasonable ability against Kentucky and much worse than that against TT. I would say who they actually are as shooters is somewhere in between.

I could get on board with that, somewhat. I think you're going to find more nights like TTU, though and not Kentucky.

And TTU really did a pants-shitting down the stretch. Too much ISO hero ball. Mooney was a trainwreck.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
I've been saying since the beginning - muddy the waters in the lane and you can beat Duke. They can't shoot for $#*&. The fact that they needed Jack White to win this game should set off warning signals for Duke fans.
Good Duke team but will say it again. If last year’s Duke team couldn’t win it all, this team won’t.

I could get on board with that, somewhat. I think you're going to find more nights like TTU, though and not Kentucky.

And TTU really did a pants-shitting down the stretch. Too much ISO hero ball. Mooney was a trainwreck.

From three maybe. But I’d bet Duke won’t shoot 38% or worse from the field again this year.

I don’t think TT is that good. Their defense may be legit but their offensive rating has been fattened up by a terrible OOC schedule so far.

"Look - I found my balls - so I'm back"

White has done well for many reasons - not the least of which his "defense" at the rim would highly likely be a foul for any other average player on any other team. The way he puffs up like he's headed to the NBA with his buds is nothing short of hilarious. Kid will fight for a rebound so I can give him that - but he gets by with alot - like post whistle, elbow throwing, dog shakes to come out of a tied up ball possession like he's just taken the beach at Normandy. He's perfect as an over-rated Duke white kid who is starting to believe his media coverage.

Look at the stat line. Duke and Tech had bad, not brutal games. Both teams shot around 38%, Tech outshot Duke from 3, Duke shot 25 free throws to Tech's 13, Duke very slightly outrebounded Tech, and Tech had 5 more turnovers. From what I saw, it was an ugly game for both. I know fans of all teams can't look at those teams objectively but Duke fans are a special breed--they seem to harp on the national hate but look past all of the media love (as if that is their birthright).

The fact is that most fans hate Duke not for the winning (Alabama doesn't get that much hate even though they win far more often and I believe UNC has won as much or more during Coach K's time at Duke), but for the arrogance of their coach, players, and fans, the beneficial ref calls they have received, specifically in the 90s and early 2000s (+2015), and because the media gives them a non-stop love fest. It is what it is. Coach Meyer has gotten bad press forever and that has affected my Buckeyes playoff chances (along with some ridiculously bad losses). Duke gets the benefit of all the media can muster, haven't dominated with OADs nearly as well as Coach Cal, but they are still treating like Champions every time they play. Then their fans come here and claim that they played so poorly compared to their opponent but overcame that to still win.

Good Duke team but will say it again. If last year’s Duke team couldn’t win it all, this team won’t.

I still believe this Duke TEAM is better than last year. I think it is mainly because of Jones (pg play is the key for ncaa) and better defense.

Reactions: TheDude1

Most of our guys aren't shooters like Booker or JJ. But "not shooters" =/= "The team is a 15% shooting from three" type of team. I am going to assume that last night was the worst three point shooting game of the year for Duke (not going to bother to look it up) and I would bet it won't happen again.

I didn't really follow the Jack White discussion beyond skimming a few topics. If someone is really making some big statement about how Jack regressed between his freshman and sophomore year, from his 2 points per game average to a 1 point per game average, as if that matters at all or has anything to do with how he is currently playing... well, that seems incredibly dumb and pointless.

And please, with the name calling. :scream:

Annnnnnd last years team has nothing to do with this years team. Can I try one?

"If the 2015 UK team couldn't win a title, no UK team will win a title."

See? Equally pointless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT