ADVERTISEMENT

12 STRAIGHT

De La Cruz looks like he may be the real deal. Then again he could just be another flash in the pan type of player that fizzles out after teams and pitchers study him and start exploiting weaknesses. However until then he is exciting to say the least. I have a buddy who is a big Reds fan and he was telling me at the start of spring training all the talk was how they were going to break the all time losses for a season record. Looks like all those writers and pundits forgot to tell the players how bad they were. Right now they are fun to watch, especially that #44 - my old number by the way [winking]

De La Cruz looks like he may be the real deal. Then again he could just be another flash in the pan type of player that fizzles out after teams and pitchers study him and start exploiting weaknesses. However until then he is exciting to say the least. I have a buddy who is a big Reds fan and he was telling me at the start of spring training all the talk was how they were going to break the all time losses for a season record. Looks like all those writers and pundits forgot to tell the players how bad they were. Right now they are fun to watch, especially that #44 - my old number by the way [winking]

I truly don't think in any way that he is a flash in the pan. He is a 5 tool player. He does three things that in baseball lead to potential for being an all time great. He throws, hits and runs fast.

He does things that are not teachable. He can play the hot corner or the most difficult infield position in baseball, SS. On top of that he is a switch hitter...what?!?!

Joey Votto is a baseball historian (at least in terms of players) and is out there comparing him to Mickey Mantle from a skill set standpoint.

He just looks different. He honestly looks like an all time great.

He already went through a mild slump in KC and bounced back rapidly. The thing with Elly is he just needs to get on base. If he is on base you might as well forget about it.

They've already tried to exploit a weakness with off speed heavy pitches and he has adjusted. He isn't swinging for the fence every time. He knows he has enough power to hit it out just swinging fluid. That double he hit last night was like 120mph. That is just stupid.

The kid is a phenom and a nightmare. Most amazing prospect I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Lifelong (read: long suffering) Reds fan here… was 7 years old when they swept Oakland in ‘90 and remember it like it was yesterday. Two observations:

#1. This team is absolutely a legitimate pennant contender. Not only is De La Cruz a generational talent, but the entire lineup top to bottom can hurt you. Opposing pitchers don’t really get a break. The Reds could use another arm, but that’s about it. This is a dangerous, dangerous team. And there’s still several impressive farmhands just itching to get the call in case of injury. Haven’t seen this kind of depth in the organization in decades.

#2 If the Reds can turn things around this quickly, there’s no reason the Cats can’t. The Reds are showing that above all else, it takes TALENT. We should have no shortage of that this year.

If you thought this team was going to break the all time losses for a season record, you weren’t paying attention to anything. After the horrid start of last year, the Reds weren’t that bad. And they had a top 5 farm system in baseball coming into the season, talking heads rarely know anything.

Also, here’s a photo of Elly deforming a ball last night, he’s the real deal.

IMG-0080.png

Lifelong (read: long suffering) Reds fan here… was 7 years old when they swept Oakland in ‘90 and remember it like it was yesterday. Two observations:

#1. This team is absolutely a legitimate pennant contender. Not only is De La Cruz a generational talent, but the entire lineup top to bottom can hurt you. Opposing pitchers don’t really get a break. The Reds could use another arm, but that’s about it. This is a dangerous, dangerous team. And there’s still several impressive farmhands just itching to get the call in case of injury. Haven’t seen this kind of depth in the organization in decades.

#2 If the Reds can turn things around this quickly, there’s no reason the Cats can’t. The Reds are showing that above all else, it takes TALENT. We should have no shortage of that this year.

I’ve been a diehard fan for 20 years, rarely ever miss a game. The lineup is insane so much that Will Benson can’t even get an at-bat and he’s been absolutely mashing. TySteve is now hitting 8th, like what???

Christian Encarnacion-Strand would be starting for 27 other teams right now but we just don’t have a place for him at current. Connor Phillips will be up soon along with getting Greene and then Lodolo back. Not to mention other top 100 prospects in Marte, Arroyo, Collier all raking. The farm is deep with talent, this isn’t a flash in the pan.

I would like to make a deal for a starting pitcher however, I wouldn’t trade off any big prospects just yet.

The Reds have depth to go with talent. UK does not have depth. And Cal's recruits have shown a tendency to wilt at the first boo boo.

Reactions: delk4three
Easily the most fun Reds team since the 1990 squad that featured Davis, Larkin, Sabo, and The Nasty Boys. Yesterday's game was electric. These never-say-die Reds are mostly a bunch of young guys who play for each other, think they can win any game, and have great chemistry with the fans. When the fanbase, the team, and momentum sync, it's magical.

This coalescence is what missing from UK basketball. I think the UK football program and this year's baseball program have that connection with BBN, but the basketball culture seems transitory. Not to say that it's all Cal's fault, the portal and college basketball culture are different, but a change in leadership and ergo a change in culture could be what's needed. That said, I am happy to change my mind if we build a team around Reed and anyone else who sticks around after this year.

Easily the most fun Reds team since the 1990 squad that featured Davis, Larkin, Sabo, and The Nasty Boys. Yesterday's game was electric. These never-say-die Reds are mostly a bunch of young guys who play for each other, think they can win any game, and have great chemistry with the fans. When the fanbase, the team, and momentum sync, it's magical.

This coalescence is what missing from UK basketball. I think the UK football program and this year's baseball program have that connection with BBN, but the basketball culture seems transitory. Not to say that it's all Cal's fault, the portal and college basketball culture are different, but a change in leadership and ergo a change in culture could be what's needed. That said, I am happy to change my mind if we build a team around Reed and anyone else who sticks around after this year.

Don't give a crap about connecting as long as my teams win. If UK basketball had won a title in 2015 and another last season and made another final four run in 2019 no one would be complaining about it at all. College basketball is never gonna change or go back to the way it was. As for this year's baseball team, it wasn't about connecting but winning that made some of us notice them for once. No one felt a connection to all the losing the players did in prior seasons that were also on this year's team. Same with football for me, don't feel some deep connection after losing at home to vandy and going 7-6. Now UGA fans, they have something to feel connected over.

We don't have these silly baseball threads on this board when the reds aren't winning either. To be fair when you are the equivalent of Indiana basketball, having not won a title in ocer 33 years, a mid season winning steak is considered a big deal. So go crazy folks, go crazy.

Reactions: DraftCat
I've watched the Reds every season as much as possible for all the years of my life. It's nice when they make it enjoyable. I'm still not super confident we can outscore ATL like that consistently. It took a crazy offensive effort to win that game by 1 run. If they get some better pitching, i have faith in the bats. Everything's extra for me right now, i didn't expect them to compete this quick

Didn't the basically replace their whole team with young dudes from AAA though? Seems like that's when they got good.

Braves still better. Seriously though that was a great ballgame yesterday. Congrats on Elly, dudes a stud. Reds seem like a fun team this year. Maybe we'll meet you guys in the playoffs.

I said this yesterday, I used to run home, from school, to watch the Big Red Machine on TV. This team is exciting to watch, they seem to really like each other off the field, there`s no animosity among each other and this team is built to last a few years before they are traded away.
Before the trade deadline, we need a starting pitcher and left handed relief pitcher, then stand back and watch. The National league central is weak and up for grabs, so we seem to have the potential to win it. We just need to add the above versus not making a move while the Cubs, Cardinals and Brewers do. Our line up is solid 1 through 9, teams can`t pitch around 1 player to get to another and we have more on the way.

Don't give a crap about connecting as long as my teams win. If UK basketball had won a title in 2015 and another last season and made another final four run in 2019 no one would be complaining about it at all. College basketball is never gonna change or go back to the way it was. As for this year's baseball team, it wasn't about connecting but winning that made some of us notice them for once. No one felt a connection to all the losing the players did in prior seasons that were also on this year's team. Same with football for me, don't feel some deep connection after losing at home to vandy and going 7-6. Now UGA fans, they have something to feel connected over.

We don't have these silly baseball threads on this board when the reds aren't winning either. To be fair when you are the equivalent of Indiana basketball, having not won a title in ocer 33 years, a mid season winning steak is considered a big deal. So go crazy folks, go crazy.
Thanks for sharing your big feelings. I'm sure a therapist can help you make better connections with others.

Go Redlegs!

Reactions: swflakat
Braves still better. Seriously though that was a great ballgame yesterday. Congrats on Elly, dudes a stud. Reds seem like a fun team this year. Maybe we'll meet you guys in the playoffs.
Agreed. The Braves and TB are the head of the class. Atlanta is the gold standard we hope to match and dethrone. GL after this series and we will (hopefully) see you guys again in the post-season.

Last night was the best Reds game I've watched in my 31 years on Earth hands down.

Elly is the real deal a generational talent... the fact that Votto compared him to Mantle just gets me giddy.

Cincinnati fans are living in the golden age right now with the Bengals also having success. I just pray to God one of them gets a championship out of all these great players.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
Ashcraft needs to get his groove back. Greene needs to get and stay healthy. Lodolo was a disaster and he is not expected back until August. Those 3 were supposed to be the foundation of the team and have really not done anything this year. Yet, we are in first place at almost the halfway mark.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I'm a Braves fan, that was an hell of a game. The 3 HRs in the 8th had me rolling. Unfortunately the Braves were impatient at the plate in the 9th.
Braves fan here too …Our offense is like tops in the majors in a lot of categories …but Cincy wow looked awesome last night …DeLa Cruz Holie mackerel couldn’t get him out …first time we’ve seen him so the more we see him the more we can adjust …we’re also down 2 stud starters soon to be back …kid that started last night was I think in Single A ball in the spring …just starting his career …game was unreal …Reds fans get their phone out when Cruz bats …they were hyped …Reds can’t win every game hopefully we stop their streak today …Cruz I am super impressed with

I truly don't think in any way that he is a flash in the pan. He is a 5 tool player. He does three things that in baseball lead to potential for being an all time great. He throws, hits and runs fast.

He does things that are not teachable. He can play the hot corner or the most difficult infield position in baseball, SS. On top of that he is a switch hitter...what?!?!

Joey Votto is a baseball historian (at least in terms of players) and is out there comparing him to Mickey Mantle from a skill set standpoint.

He just looks different. He honestly looks like an all time great.

He already went through a mild slump in KC and bounced back rapidly. The thing with Elly is he just needs to get on base. If he is on base you might as well forget about it.

They've already tried to exploit a weakness with off speed heavy pitches and he has adjusted. He isn't swinging for the fence every time. He knows he has enough power to hit it out just swinging fluid. That double he hit last night was like 120mph. That is just stupid.

The kid is a phenom and a nightmare. Most amazing prospect I've ever seen.

I could have sworn I said he looks like he maybe the real deal. With my very first sentence, am I mistaken ?? I agreed, no I think I said it first. However if you're going to say most amazing prospect you've ever seen I think - right now that's hyperbole. He's been with the Reds for 15 games I believe. Hardly enough of a sample size. We've all seen guys come up and look great until teams figure them out and never really hear much about them later. Again I said he looks like the real deal.

If you thought this team was going to break the all time losses for a season record, you weren’t paying attention to anything. After the horrid start of last year, the Reds weren’t that bad. And they had a top 5 farm system in baseball coming into the season, talking heads rarely know anything.

Also, here’s a photo of Elly deforming a ball last night, he’s the real deal.

IMG-0080.png

What is it ?? Why are there so many people who cannot comprehend what is said ?? I never said it, let me re-post my exact words highlighted so maybe, just maybe you can let it sink in. Read...it...slowly... "I have a buddy who is a big Reds fan and he was telling me at the start of spring training all the talk was how they were going to break the all time losses for a season record. Looks like all those writers and pundits forgot to tell the players how bad they were."

Does that sound like I thought or I wasn't paying attention ?? Also read what I said in reply above about De La Cruz being the real deal.

Didn't the basically replace their whole team with young dudes from AAA though? Seems like that's when they got good.

I don't know Mike-D 🤷‍♂️ I don't follow them that closely to be honest. I was just repeating what a buddy of mine, who's been a Reds fan as long as I've been a Braves fan said. We've been watching baseball since the late 60's.

Cincy bringing up DE LA Cruz reminds me when the Braves called up Acuna and Albies. They instantly brought life in the dug out

I don't know Mike-D 🤷‍♂️ I don't follow them that closely to be honest. I was just repeating what a buddy of mine, who's been a Reds fan as long as I've been a Braves fan said. We've been watching baseball since the late 60's.

Apparently a lot of the team that was awful at the beginning of the year is gone.

Reactions: BillyJoeCat-fan
Apparently a lot of the team that was awful at the beginning of the year is gone.

Yes the Reds have brought up a slew of young talent this year.

Cruz, McLain, Abbott, Benson

That doesn't include 2nd and 3rd year players such as India, Stephenson, Diaz & Steer

More to come on the farm as well Encarcion-Strand will be the next but Votto is blocking him right now... he's trying to learn outfield in Louisville.

Reactions: Mike-D
What is it ?? Why are there so many people who cannot comprehend what is said ?? I never said it, let me re-post my exact words highlighted so maybe, just maybe you can let it sink in. Read...it...slowly... "I have a buddy who is a big Reds fan and he was telling me at the start of spring training all the talk was how they were going to break the all time losses for a season record. Looks like all those writers and pundits forgot to tell the players how bad they were."

Does that sound like I thought or I wasn't paying attention ?? Also read what I said in reply above about De La Cruz being the real deal.
Remove the panties out of your butt, might feel better

I think we all comprehended what you were saying. My gripe was about the media not paying attention to what we were building, not specifically “you”

And Elly is the next Mickey mantle, according to Votto at least

I could have sworn I said he looks like he maybe the real deal. With my very first sentence, am I mistaken ?? I agreed, no I think I said it first. However if you're going to say most amazing prospect you've ever seen I think - right now that's hyperbole. He's been with the Reds for 15 games I believe. Hardly enough of a sample size. We've all seen guys come up and look great until teams figure them out and never really hear much about them later. Again I said he looks like the real deal.

I liked your post, not sure I insinuated anything negative. Just gave MHO that he isn't a flash in the pan. As far as prospects go, I've never seen anyone like him in terms of power, speed, fielding, arm strength, etc. Again, my opinion. I have never seen anyone with his skill set fail.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: BillyJoeCat-fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT