ADVERTISEMENT

12 STRAIGHT

Better enjoy De La Cruz while you can.
The Yankees and Dodgers, as usual, are waiting.
Anyway, he’s special.

I truly don't think in any way that he is a flash in the pan. He is a 5 tool player. He does three things that in baseball lead to potential for being an all time great. He throws, hits and runs fast.

He does things that are not teachable. He can play the hot corner or the most difficult infield position in baseball, SS. On top of that he is a switch hitter...what?!?!

Joey Votto is a baseball historian (at least in terms of players) and is out there comparing him to Mickey Mantle from a skill set standpoint.

He just looks different. He honestly looks like an all time great.

He already went through a mild slump in KC and bounced back rapidly. The thing with Elly is he just needs to get on base. If he is on base you might as well forget about it.

They've already tried to exploit a weakness with off speed heavy pitches and he has adjusted. He isn't swinging for the fence every time. He knows he has enough power to hit it out just swinging fluid. That double he hit last night was like 120mph. That is just stupid.

The kid is a phenom and a nightmare. Most amazing prospect I've ever seen.
I can’t wait until he signs with the Yankees.

• Angry
Reactions: bookerfan66
Remove the panties out of your butt, might feel better

I think we all comprehended what you were saying. My gripe was about the media not paying attention to what we were building, not specifically “you”

And Elly is the next Mickey mantle, according to Votto at least

Okay apologies then. It could have been worded differently then with you replying to and quoting my post and using "you" (which I took as being me). As I said I was quoting a Reds fan of over 50 years.

How many times has a young player coming up been called the next whoever ? He may wind up being really good, maybe even great but he will never be the next Mickey Mantle. I'd say let him be the first Elly De La Cruz. Kind of unfair to a kid with 61 career ABs to be compare to one of the best players in the history of the game. Those types of projections rarely work out. I would agree maybe being a player that has similar abilities - to this point.

I liked your post, not sure I insinuated anything negative. Just gave MHO that he isn't a flash in the pan. As far as prospects go, I've never seen anyone like him in terms of power, speed, fielding, arm strength, etc. Again, my opinion. I have never seen anyone with his skill set fail.

I didn't intend it to sound as if I was saying that. I just think it's unfair to the kid - again who looks amazing so far - to compare him to one of the greatest players in history after such a small sample size. Mike Trout for example was touted as being the next greatest thing ever. Don't get me wrong he's really really good but so many things not to mention injuries has slowed that type of talk. I look for the kid to be good, really good for a long time but he has a long time to reach that.

De La Cruz looks like he may be the real deal. Then again he could just be another flash in the pan type of player that fizzles out after teams and pitchers study him and start exploiting weaknesses. However until then he is exciting to say the least. I have a buddy who is a big Reds fan and he was telling me at the start of spring training all the talk was how they were going to break the all time losses for a season record. Looks like all those writers and pundits forgot to tell the players how bad they were. Right now they are fun to watch, especially that #44 - my old number by the way [winking]
We will see what happens today! Braves are kicking ass and taking names.

I truly don't think in any way that he is a flash in the pan. He is a 5 tool player. He does three things that in baseball lead to potential for being an all time great. He throws, hits and runs fast.

He does things that are not teachable. He can play the hot corner or the most difficult infield position in baseball, SS. On top of that he is a switch hitter...what?!?!

Joey Votto is a baseball historian (at least in terms of players) and is out there comparing him to Mickey Mantle from a skill set standpoint.

He just looks different. He honestly looks like an all time great.

He already went through a mild slump in KC and bounced back rapidly. The thing with Elly is he just needs to get on base. If he is on base you might as well forget about it.

They've already tried to exploit a weakness with off speed heavy pitches and he has adjusted. He isn't swinging for the fence every time. He knows he has enough power to hit it out just swinging fluid. That double he hit last night was like 120mph. That is just stupid.

The kid is a phenom and a nightmare. Most amazing prospect I've ever seen.
I think Othani may be the best prospect I’ve seen in a long time. My personal belief is Griffey Jr. Is the best prospect when healthy. My favorite player is ever is Chipper Jones. I do love a switch hitter.

Lifelong (read: long suffering) Reds fan here… was 7 years old when they swept Oakland in ‘90 and remember it like it was yesterday. Two observations:

#1. This team is absolutely a legitimate pennant contender. Not only is De La Cruz a generational talent, but the entire lineup top to bottom can hurt you. Opposing pitchers don’t really get a break. The Reds could use another arm, but that’s about it. This is a dangerous, dangerous team. And there’s still several impressive farmhands just itching to get the call in case of injury. Haven’t seen this kind of depth in the organization in decades.

#2 If the Reds can turn things around this quickly, there’s no reason the Cats can’t. The Reds are showing that above all else, it takes TALENT. We should have no shortage of that this year.
They may be, but if I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard a Reds fan talk about how dangerous they are around the All Star Break I’d be Retired long ago.

I’ve been a diehard fan for 20 years, rarely ever miss a game. The lineup is insane so much that Will Benson can’t even get an at-bat and he’s been absolutely mashing. TySteve is now hitting 8th, like what???

Christian Encarnacion-Strand would be starting for 27 other teams right now but we just don’t have a place for him at current. Connor Phillips will be up soon along with getting Greene and then Lodolo back. Not to mention other top 100 prospects in Marte, Arroyo, Collier all raking. The farm is deep with talent, this isn’t a flash in the pan.

I would like to make a deal for a starting pitcher however, I wouldn’t trade off any big prospects just yet.
You gotta trade prospects to get a legit arm. If they have as much talent as you all think then they have plenty of trade chips.

You gotta trade prospects to get a legit arm. If they have as much talent as you all think then they have plenty of trade chips.
They can but Lodolo and Greene will be back and Connor Phillips is dominating double A. I wouldn’t sell the farm when we’ve got the pieces to compete this year and the next 6-7 years

Reactions: Fox2monk
They can but Lodolo and Greene will be back and Connor Phillips is dominating double A. I wouldn’t sell the farm when we’ve got the pieces to compete this year and the next 6-7 years
I get that but you also need pitching to win. If the Reds have pitching down there, bring ‘em up! That’s what a farm system is for. It’s why the Braves are set up for success for many years. They kept the players that helps rebuild and signed them all fast for 7-8 years. The rest they used to trade for players who would help them now.

I get that but you also need pitching to win. If the Reds have pitching down there, bring ‘em up! That’s what a farm system is for. It’s why the Braves are set up for success for many years. They kept the players that helps rebuild and signed them all fast for 7-8 years. The rest they used to trade for players who would help them now.
Lively on the IL now, was supposed to start tomorrow. Wonder if it’ll be Phillips or more likely, Lyon Richardson

And I’m not about hoarding prospects but we don’t have a big payroll (like the Braves) so we need to be smarter with our moves and think of the future. We want a consistent winner

Lively on the IL now, was supposed to start tomorrow. Wonder if it’ll be Phillips or more likely, Lyon Richardson

And I’m not about hoarding prospects but we don’t have a big payroll (like the Braves) so we need to be smarter with our moves and think of the future. We want a consistent winner
The Braves don’t have a large payroll either, not compared to really big cities. They have won by signing great deals. Locking Acuna Jr. Up for 100M over 7 years is an absolute steal these days. The Reds biggest problem is their owners. They won’t commit any reasonable money to the prospects they get and trade them or won’t sign them as soon as they hit the market.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
The Braves don’t have a large payroll either, not compared to really big cities. They have won by signing great deals. Locking Acuna Jr. Up for 100M over 7 years is an absolute steal these days. The Reds biggest problem is their owners. They won’t commit any reasonable money to the prospects they get and trade them or won’t sign them as soon as they hit the market.
They have a top 5-6 payroll and are owned by a huge media conglomerate, money isn’t an issue for any team but Braves are definitely not hurting and can spend freely

And yes, Acunas deal is a steal, I was in attendance for his MLB debut so I cheer for the guy

Braves are the best run team in MLB imo and I want the Reds to reach that level of consistency and then start spending to keep the stars. I think it’s possible and what they’re trying to do

They have a top 5-6 payroll and are owned by a huge media conglomerate, money isn’t an issue for any team but Braves are definitely not hurting and can spend freely

And yes, Acunas deal is a steal, I was in attendance for his MLB debut so I cheer for the guy

Braves are the best run team in MLB imo and I want the Reds to reach that level of consistency and then start spending to keep the stars. I think it’s possible and what they’re trying to do
I agree, they have been well run since the late 80’s. Schuerholz built a foundation of success and they have hired based on his model in the front office. I didn’t realize they were 8th, payroll from 8-15 is a similar range. That’s about where I expected them. Around 13th or so. I think it’s funny the Mets have a 353M payroll and they stink 😂. Cincinnati only having an 83 million dollar payroll is a huge roadblock to contention for sure. If they would invest I think they would make a lot more money. Fill that stadium every game if they are good.

Last edited:
I agree, they have been well run since the late 80’s. Schuerholz built a foundation of success and they have hired based on his model in the front office.
Reds fans complained when we traded everyone away but what everyone fails to mention is all the money we put in to completely retool our scouting and development departments. We’re just now seeing the fruits. Years of terrible drafting, not developing much pitching is over. This is just the beginning imo

I am a Reds optimist and a UK pessimist at this point, what a world

Reds fans complained when we traded everyone away but what everyone fails to mention is all the money we put in to completely retool our scouting and development departments. We’re just now seeing the fruits. Years of terrible drafting, not developing much pitching is over. This is just the beginning imo

I am a Reds optimist and a UK pessimist at this point, what a world
Now they have to invest to keep these guys. Sign some early to long term deals at a discount. If they believe De La Cruz has HOF potential then lock him up after this year way cheaper than the 300 million it will take 4 years from now if he has 2-3 monster years.

are owned by a huge media conglomerate?
unless i am mistaken they are still owned by Bob Castellini

Castellini Group of Companies combines to form one of the largest distributors of fresh produce in the United States, with more than 3,000 fruits, vegetables and floral items including a complete line of fresh-cut value added, organic, specialty and locally grown products for the retail and foodservice markets.

Is Bob Castellini a billionaire?

Castellini's Wealth (or lack thereof) In 2006, the Castellini led ownership group acquired the Reds for $270 million. Since then, the value of the club has grown by 340% to reach roughly $1.2 billion. In spite of this growth, Castellini is reported to have a tiny net worth in comparison with other MLB team owners.Dec 23, 2022

Last edited:
are owned by a huge media conglomerate?
unless i am mistaken they are still owned by Bob Castellini

Castellini Group of Companies combines to form one of the largest distributors of fresh produce in the United States, with more than 3,000 fruits, vegetables and floral items including a complete line of fresh-cut value added, organic, specialty and locally grown products for the retail and foodservice markets.

Is Bob Castellini a billionaire?

Castellini's Wealth (or lack thereof) In 2006, the Castellini led ownership group acquired the Reds for $270 million. Since then, the value of the club has grown by 340% to reach roughly $1.2 billion. In spite of this growth, Castellini is reported to have a tiny net worth in comparison with other MLB team owners.Dec 23, 2022
I’m talking about Atlanta

IF starting pitching gets better, Reds will be a tough out, and legit threat to make playoffs, their division is not that great, they can win it.

Stoudt starting for the Reds today, oh boy
Guess they have no choice but one has to wonder how long the Reds can run out Ashcraft and his 4 innings, 10 hits, 6 runs once a week. Guy probably needs a few starts in AAA to get his mind right. Reds pitching in deep shit.

Guess they have no choice but one has to wonder how long the Reds can run out Ashcraft and his 4 innings, 10 hits, 6 runs once a week. Guy probably needs a few starts in AAA to get his mind right. Reds pitching in deep shit.
I didn’t think his stuff looked awful yesterday despite getting hit around. But yeah, in a perfect world, he’d go to Louisville for a while. Not even depth in starting pitching with Lodolo, Greene, Lively on the IL and Ashcraft and Weaver sucking a$$

See what happens

Correct. While I love what the Reds front office has built, the fear that always lingers is the owners unloading talent when contracts are up and failing to find the missing pieces for a playoff run because of salaries.

Reds should trade Votto for an arm or 2.
I understanding this thinking, but I like Votto's presence on the team as a mentor. His offensive output has been reminiscent of 2021 so far too. I hope he ends his career in Cincinnati.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT