ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Gonzaga vs. Auburn coming up at 11 this morning

I'd be surprised if he'd be interested. And I think it would be a bad fit for both sides. I like Few as a coach. Don't get me wrong. I'm not sure he's got the personality to succeed here. Again nothing on his coaching. He's a fine coach.
Agree. He turned down Oregon when they hired Dana Altman. He’s an Oregon grad and grew up right outside Eugene. That was the only P5 job I thought he might be interested in.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Gonzaga will never be what some want them to be. Until they win it's the same story every season.
Exactly. Every year it's the same around here. We must have a massive collection of closet Gonzaga fans, because every year we see "Awe man, they're the real deal man! They'd smoke us man! Watch out, man! This is their year, man!"

And then comes the tournament and....crickets....

I'd be surprised if he'd be interested. And I think it would be a bad fit for both sides. I like Few as a coach. Don't get me wrong. I'm not sure he's got the personality to succeed here. Again nothing on his coaching. He's a fine coach.
Few needs some time in a real conference before anyone even has a day dream about him ever being our coach. I don't care about his early season wins against ranked teams (that could very well be over-ranked due to early-season unknowns). They beat up on teams worse than Morehead St. from January through March, and people want this softy as our coach? No thanks. Prove something and earn even making the list.

Few is like a really hard-working state worker... but at the end of the day, he's still a state worker.

He plays 3-4 top100 teams all season and then just kind coasts to an Elite 8... and that's good enough for the program. If you're a non elite program, that's a great hire. But not for Kentucky.

Stop the nonsense. Dude has been to 3 Elite Eights, one of which resulted in a Title Game appearance in the past 5 tournaments...at Gonzaga. You people who care what the guy did 10 and 15 years ago crack me up. He’s one of the top coaches in the game.
This needs more context. Lay out their path to those E8s. If I recall, a couple of those were ridiculous wide-open upsets prior to their path that cleared the way. He needs to get away from that conference before he ever earns "top coaches in the game" mention.

I don't agree in fact I don't think any of their guys could hang with our length and athletes. That big goofball timme? Sarr would lock him up. They don't have anyone that can stop Clarke or Boston let alone both
Length and athletes? Won’t win you a title.

This needs more context. Lay out their path to those E8s. If I recall, a couple of those were ridiculous wide-open upsets prior to their path that cleared the way. He needs to get away from that conference before he ever earns "top coaches in the game" mention.
Here is that 5 year period:

2019 (1 seed) - beat 16, 9, 4 and lost to 3
2018 (4 seed) - beat 13, 5 and lost to 9
2017 (1 seed) - beat 16, 8, 4, 11, 7 and lost to 1
2016 (11 seed) - beat 6, 3 and lost to 10
2015 (2 seed) - beat 15, 7, 12 and lost to 1

As a comparison, here is UK in that same 5 year period:

2019 (2 seed) - beat 15, 7, 3 and lost to 5
2018 (5 seed) - beat 12, 13 and lost to 9
2017 (2 seed) - beat 15, 10, 3 and lost to 1
2016 (4 seed) - beat 13 and lost to 5
2015 (1 seed) - beat 16, 8, 5 3 and lost to 1

Very similar over the past 5 years. I don’t think Few is the best coach in the game, but I have no problem putting him top 5. Like you, I wish he would give it a go at a P5 school. Always reminds me of Chris Peterson at Boise State. People always questioned just how good he was, so he went to Washington and went to the CFP, Rose and Fiesta in 3 straight years.

Reactions: TheDude73
Stop the nonsense. Dude has been to 3 Elite Eights, one of which resulted in a Title Game appearance in the past 5 tournaments...at Gonzaga. You people who care what the guy did 10 and 15 years ago crack me up. He’s one of the top coaches in the game.
Depends on what you mean by “one of”. 5 times he’s been a 1 or 2 seed, only once to the final four. He’s a great regular season coach, I don’t see how anyone can say he’s been great in the tournament. And once you’ve acknowledged that his claim to status is in the regular season, you necessarily get into strength of schedule.

I wish UK had gotten Powell from Oldham County - kid is a baller (I know we can’t take everybody but this kid just knows how to play)
Injuries his Senior year hurt his chances but Chris Mack WTF was you thinking on Powell @ Auburn & McKnight at WKU both would be in Louisville rotation
Yep. I live in the 8th region, saw both of those kids multiple times.I think Powell can play at that level. He’s 6’7 and a natural point. I tried to tell people when we were recruiting him, he’s not a shooter. It’s not that he can’t shoot, it’s just he has the mentality of a distributor. His height allows him to see everything well.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Depends on what you mean by “one of”. 5 times he’s been a 1 or 2 seed, only once to the final four. He’s a great regular season coach, I don’t see how anyone can say he’s been great in the tournament. And once you’ve acknowledged that his claim to status is in the regular season, you necessarily get into strength of schedule.
I think there is zero debate he’s a top 10 coach overall imo. That put him in the top 3% of college coaches.

Reactions: gharding07
Few is like a really hard-working state worker... but at the end of the day, he's still a state worker.

He plays 3-4 top100 teams all season and then just kind coasts to an Elite 8... and that's good enough for the program. If you're a non elite program, that's a great hire. But not for Kentucky.
I think you've summed it up very well. It's like UL football, in a way. If you've only got a handful of quality opponents it's a lot easier to get up for those. UL found out it's a bit tougher when you play P5 teams all the time, and not just 2 before bowl season.

Yes and you must also talk about playing to seed. How many years has his teams not played to seed? It's been several. I put him in the second to third tier of coaches. But that's just me.

Length and athletes? Won’t win you a title.

So are you suggesting slow little folks are the way to go? This could be revolutionary!
Kidding aside, we have some shooters as well. Our issue may be physicality in a half court set. I was actually kind of impressed with how few dumb things we did against Morehead, for such a young team. This team has an extremely high ceiling. I'm excited about them.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
AF5756-B4-7047-410-D-A804-FE70-F56-BAD9-D.jpg

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
Yep

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT