ADVERTISEMENT

“N.Fla coach thinks he knows the key to the Cats’ future success”

Don't bet on CJ getting it going. UK, under Cal, is where elite shooters go to see their percentages drop.
You are just making shit up. Lease give examples. The most recent ones:
Wheeler has improved at UK, his shot still sucks, but makes a few more that at UGA
Grady even after his injury related late season slump still made about 5% higher than while at Davidson (vs lesser competition)

You are just making shit up. Lease give examples. The most recent ones:
Wheeler has improved at UK, his shot still sucks, but makes a few more that at UGA
Grady even after his injury related late season slump still made about 5% higher than while at Davidson (vs lesser competition)
Reread what I said. In what world is/was Wheeler an elite shooter?

When the pressure is on, Cal's shooters shit their pants. Lamb and Monk bucked the trend.

Yeah, Aaron was good… .until it was expected that UK should win, then, he didn't make squat.

But I'm not looking up shit for you, do your own damn work.

To me, there's more obvious proof for what I'm saying than what you're trying to argue.

I mean, you just tried to use Wheeler to prop your weak argument up… he’s a guy that opposing teams are daring to shoot.

Think before you post next time.

I have zero patience for you Cal fans anymore, you guys can go get bent for all I care.

It’s not the players, it never has been.

UK vs Michigan state, if you swap coaches, UK wins by 15

UK vs Gonzaga, if you swap coaches, UK wins by 10

UK vs Saint Peters, if you swap coaches, UK wins by 20

2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 and 2022 all choked under pressure and this team will be no different. Talent only takes you so far, eventually confidence, coaching and toughness has to get you to the finish line. Cal struggles with all those things and what's worse is he refuses to admit that.

It's so obvious now. Look at the teams UK has been losing to and how they lost those games. The bigger the game, the tighter our players play. If we're an underdog, we play loose, if we are a favorite, we play tight as a drum. Not only that, but Cal is a one trick pony on both sides of the ball. Unless he has a generational talent and an NBA lockout, he isn’t winning shit. Get his ass out of here.

I don't even want to watch basketball anymore. I used to crave it, but that's gone now. This guy is a fraud, the sooner y'all realize that, the better.
I’m right there with you. I’ve never been so disinterested in UK basketball. I basically never missed a game for the past 25 years. I’ve already missed 3 this year. Cal has sucked the passion right out of me. How people still support him amazes me.

Reread what I said. In what world is/was Wheeler an elite shooter?

When the pressure is on, Cal's shooters shit their pants. Lamb and Monk bucked the trend.

Yeah, Aaron was good… .until it was expected that UK should win, then, he didn't make squat.

But I'm not looking up shit for you, do your own damn work.

To me, there's more obvious proof for what I'm saying than what you're trying to argue.

I mean, you just tried to use Wheeler to prop your weak argument up… he’s a guy that opposing teams are daring to shoot.

Think before you post next time.

I have zero patience for you Cal fans anymore, you guys can go get bent for all I care.
You are an idiot.
You said under Cal elite shooters (agree Wheeler is not one!!!) see there % drop.
I asked for an example. And have the most recent of an elite shooter Grady who saw his % go up even playing injured.
Yes you still failed to give example to support your made up theory. Guys getting cold in one game DOES NOT SUPPORT your theory. Not to mention Aaron more than earned the word “clutch” in 2014 for you to try and take it away for the Wisc game.

So I proved your ass wrong! And you ain’t looking anything up because it doesn’t exist.

And I’m not a Cal apologist, I think there is lots he has done and does wrong. Damn you wrong again!

You are an idiot.
You said under Cal elite shooters (agree Wheeler is not one!!!) see there % drop.
I asked for an example. And have the most recent of an elite shooter Grady who saw his % go up even playing injured.
Yes you still failed to give example to support your made up theory. Guys getting cold in one game DOES NOT SUPPORT your theory. Not to mention Aaron more than earned the word “clutch” in 2014 for you to try and take it away for the Wisc game.

So I proved your ass wrong! And you ain’t looking anything up because it doesn’t exist.

And I’m not a Cal apologist, I think there is lots he has done and does wrong. Damn you wrong again!
Pay attention, Aaron hit all those shots when UK was the underdog, look what happened when UK was expected to win.

Grady.… you have to be joking, the guy stunk it up in his one NCAAT game. Do you even understand what I'm talking about?

And you should refrain from calling others an "idiot", when you can’t figure out the difference between "there" and "their".

Lamb and Booker seemed to shoot just fine under Cal lol
I literally said "Lamb and Monk bucked the trend".
Booker? Yeah, no, he was great in November through January, but hit a wall and eventually disappeared.
That’s what happens when the coach looks at 3 point shooting as an afterthought.

I literally said "Lamb and Monk bucked the trend".
Booker? Yeah, no, he was great in November through January, but hit a wall and eventually disappeared.
That’s what happens when the coach looks at 3 point shooting as an afterthought.

Or maybe Booker just had a bad stretch.

I mean I get it. You don’t like Cal But not every player that goes on a cold streak it’s his fault lol

You are an idiot.

And I’m not a Cal apologist, I think there is lots he has done and does wrong. Damn you

Jonny boy, I did the research and you are the one that’s truly an idiot. If you are able to read, look at these historical FG, 3 pt FG%’s in the SEC tournament and NCAA tournament for UK players since 1987. I will break it down to you since you are obviously not very sharp. Since Cal has been here, how many of his great shooters are on this list? Good luck finding many of them. Happy Thanksgiving! I’m thankful for idiots like you.

Jonny boy, I did the research and you are the one that’s truly an idiot. If you are able to read, look at these historical FG, 3 pt FG%’s in the SEC tournament and NCAA tournament for UK players since 1987. I will break it down to you since you are obviously not very sharp. Since Cal has been here, how many of his great shooters are on this list? Good luck finding many of them. Happy Thanksgiving! I’m thankful for idiots like you.

That does not prove your point nor disprove mine. SMH!
And I analyze and interpret data for a living,

Clearly everyone that has an off shooting night Cal has ruined lol

I’ve heard enough nonsense for one night haha

Reactions: gojvc
Yep, spot on. We still need CJ too but Reeves gives us a lot more upside and deserves more minutes. At the end of the day, he looks better both on offense and defense compared to CJ. And no question Ugonna deserves a lot more minutes than Ware if we want a chance to be special by March.
If CJ and Wallace can contribute from the outside, it will make Reeves a lot more effective.

Reactions: BBUK
Y’all are missing the answer. Reeves and CJ need to be out there together. Put them out there with Wallace, Toppin and Oscar and you have a nice offensive lineup. But play all 10 guys and play fast and apply pressure with changing defenses. Cals obsession with playing in rock fights is what’s hurting this program. And it would take an act of god for that to change.

Y’all are missing the answer. Reeves and CJ need to be out there together. Put them out there with Wallace, Toppin and Oscar and you have a nice offensive lineup. But play all 10 guys and play fast and apply pressure with changing defenses. Cals obsession with playing in rock fights is what’s hurting this program. And it would take an act of god for that to change.

The problem I feel with playing CJ and Reeves together is CJ is a defensive liability. Reeves doesn't seem the greatest defender either. I heard Cal's post game after North Florida and he mentioned about guys being able to drive past our guards and then what happens? Oscar has to help out and gets into foul trouble. And that's really the one thing that cannot happen with this team as the drop off between Oscar and Ware is so drastic.

FWIW I do think each of them has a role on this team and an important one. But if one or the other isn't making shots, it's hard to justify them in there.

The problem I feel with playing CJ and Reeves together is CJ is a defensive liability. Reeves doesn't seem the greatest defender either. I heard Cal's post game after North Florida and he mentioned about guys being able to drive past our guards and then what happens? Oscar has to help out and gets into foul trouble. And that's really the one thing that cannot happen with this team as the drop off between Oscar and Ware is so drastic.

FWIW I do think each of them has a role on this team and an important one. But if one or the other isn't making shots, it's hard to justify them in there.
That’s where a good coach adapts to his players. Mix in some zone and trapping defense. Speed teams up. No one on this team is a lock down defender. In fact that’s extremely rare in college period. Cal still wants them playing defensively as if he’s got Anthony Davis back there.

Clearly everyone that has an off shooting night Cal has ruined lol

I’ve heard enough nonsense for one night haha
You act like there's no basis. Look at the teams that are winning titles, they don't choke, they hit shots from the outside, Cal's teams continuously choke.

I guess you forgot about 2010 Wva.

They choke from the ft line too. Guys that make free throws during the regular season, shit their pants at the line in the NCAAT. Cal has these guys playing not to lose. They’re stressed out and the proof is right there at your feet.

Do you see Jay Wright, Roy Williams and Drew yelling at their players all game long? No, their players play loose. Cal has to yell because he never has his teams prepared.

I don't see how it can even be argued, but since you're a Cal first fan, you'll certainly try.

That’s hilarious. All summer long all everyone said was that CJ was an elite defender, now he sucks.

So, because he’s not as good defensively, Cal pulls him and puts a guy in that can’t shoot and again, we labor to score.

Teach your shooters how to play defense, or freaking design a defense that they can be successful in. It’s that simple.

You have to score in todays game.

Then play a fvcking ZONE! This isn’t rocket science. Cal’s refusal to play a zone is absolutely MADDENING!

That’s hilarious. All summer long all everyone said was that CJ was an elite defender, now he sucks.

So, because he’s not as good defensively, Cal pulls him and puts a guy in that can’t shoot and again, we labor to score.

Teach your shooters how to play defense, or freaking design a defense that they can be successful in. It’s that simple.

You have to score in todays game.
I have a feeling that why Reeves hasn’t played as much as expected, his D is prob not as good as CJ, at least in the practices. I also agree that both should play, figure out a way to hide them on D, play zone maybe lol!

That’s a reasonable point. If not for his injury, I don’t think Fredrick would be a big defensive liability. But at this point maybe he is. Whether due to physical limitations or holding back due to fear of re-injury, I would have to say that to me it does appear that Fredrick is playing timid out there.

But I’m not ready to give up hope that Fredrick will work out because I think the best version of this team needs Fredrick to play alongside Wallace and Reeves, not as a backup to Reeves, because I believe that lineup: (1) puts more pressure on the defense and thereby better spreads the defense to make it easier for others to get good looks; (2) results in more made 3s, and more points, per game; and (3) results in less bone-headed plays and turnovers.

As for Reeves, he can score in different ways and I think is clearly the best scorer UK has. He’s obviously going to have some nights that are better than others, but he has to play in my opinion – I actually think he and Wallace need to lead the team in minutes. But you’re right that if Fredrick isn’t hitting shots he loses most of his value over other players. However, if that’s the case I still wouldn’t play Livingston or Toppin at SF more than absolutely necessary. I would rather play Wheeler at PG, and have Fredrick and Thiero backup Wallace and Reeves.

Last edited:
That’s a reasonable point. If not for his injury, I don’t think Fredrick would be a big defensive liability. But at this point maybe he is. Whether due to physical limitations or holding back due to fear of re-injury, I would have to say that to me it does appear that Fredrick is playing timid out there.

But I’m not ready to give up hope that Fredrick will work out because I think the best version of this team needs Fredrick to play alongside Wallace and Reeves, not as a backup to Reeves, because I believe that lineup: (1) puts more pressure on the defense and thereby better spreads the defense to make it easier for others to get good looks; (2) results in more made 3s, and more points, per game; and (3) results in less bone-headed plays and turnovers.

As for Reeves, he can score in different ways and I think is clearly the best scorer UK has. He’s obviously going to have some nights that are better than others, but he has to play in my opinion – I actually think he and Wallace need to lead the team in minutes. But you’re right that if Fredrick isn’t hitting shots he loses most of his value over other players. However, if that’s the case I still wouldn’t play Livingston or Toppin at SF more than absolutely necessary. I would rather play Wheeler at PG, and have Fredrick and Thiero backup Wallace and Reeves.
I’m just not quite sure we are going to be able to play an effective man to man with this team. I get mad as hell at thought of losing games simply due to the fact Cal just absolutely will not even attempt a zone defense. Even when his best player, and NPOY, is in foul trouble. It’s beyond ignorant.

I mean, sure Cal can put a good defensive team on the floor. Some guys that aren’t good at all on offense will have to play. Most of them out of position. Like you said, the best lineup is what you posted. You must score points. The real simple solution to that is a zone defense. It truly is maddening.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and G-PIP
I have a feeling that why Reeves hasn’t played as much as expected, his D is prob not as good as CJ, at least in the practices. I also agree that both should play, figure out a way to hide them on D, play zone maybe lol!
Every team out there has a guy or two that they need to hide a little on defense, but the difference between those programs and ours is, Cal would rather put a non scorer in the game over a scorer, just because the non scorer is a better defender.
Then Cal wonders why we labor to score.

Reactions: ManitouDan
North Florida head coach Matthew Driscoll has been in the coaching profession for 35 years. He was an assistant coach at Baylor and Clemson for a combined 11 seasons, and this is his 14th season as a head coach at N.Fla. Driscoll pinpointed Reeves’ ability to both get open shots and then make them as the key to successful season for UK.

“I’ve seen a lot of good players. He’s as good a 3-point shooter, and as good of a 3-point finder as there is in the country,” Driscoll said. “If he doesn’t have a three, he’s gonna find a three with a stepback or a separation. A lot of guys, they get thrown off, and then they can’t get into a rhythm. And I think that’s what makes Reeves special.”

In the postgame, Reeves said that his ability to “find” 3-point shots didn’t really develop until his junior year at Illinois State, when he got better at getting into a rhythm, maintaining good footwork, knowing his own movements and being able to read defenders.

(Story by Ben Roberts, Lexington Herald-Leader)

Then we need to ask Reeves which coach helped him the most to develop these things...

I’m just not quite sure we are going to be able to play an effective man to man with this team. I get mad as hell at thought of losing games simply due to the fact Cal just absolutely will not even attempt a zone defense. Even when his best player, and NPOY, is in foul trouble. It’s beyond ignorant.

I mean, sure Cal can put a good defensive team on the floor. Some guys that aren’t good at all on offense will have to play. Most of them out of position. Like you said, the best lineup is what you posted. You must score points. The real simple solution to that is a zone defense. It truly is maddening.
Thing is, we say these things every year, then, sometime around January-ish, our teams usually click defensively. All the sudden, our guys know how to defend the dribble drive. Well, why didn't they know how to do that in November after 4 months of practice?

Problem is, this just shouldn't be the case, especially when we have those summer games. There is no reason to be so far behind at the beginning of every season.

It’s almost like Cal uses actual games as practice to find out what he has. But that's so screwed up. He should know his team enough by November 15th to know what he has.

The lineups he played in the Michigan State game made me think he had mental issues. Very few lineups made sense and he left Collins in way too long. The guy is scared of his own shadow. Livingston made 1 mistake and was out. It simply makes no sense.

Livingston is tougher, he’s a better rebounder, better defender, a better shooter and a better scorer, but Cal sacrificed a win to make a really dumb point. Livingston is only one example of his hard headedness in that game.

Don't even get me started on the Gonzaga game.

Thing is, we say these things every year, then, sometime around January-ish, our teams usually click defensively. All the sudden, our guys know how to defend the dribble drive. Well, why didn't they know how to do that in November after 4 months of practice?

Problem is, this just shouldn't be the case, especially when we have those summer games. There is no reason to be so far behind at the beginning of every season.

It’s almost like Cal uses actual games as practice to find out what he has. But that's so screwed up. He should know his team enough by November 15th to know what he has.

The lineups he played in the Michigan State game made me think he had mental issues. Very few lineups made sense and he left Collins in way too long. The guy is scared of his own shadow. Livingston made 1 mistake and was out. It simply makes no sense.

Livingston is tougher, he’s a better rebounder, better defender, a better shooter and a better scorer, but Cal sacrificed a win to make a really dumb point. Livingston is only one example of his hard headedness in that game.

Don't even get me started on the Gonzaga game.
Ok, this one I don’t disagree with.

Cj could be one of the best bench players in the country but reeves needs to be playing 30+ minutes a game. He’s our best pure scorer and has good size. He has tons of pro scorer talent

Facts. Typical doomsday whiner.
Btw I’m tired of the Cal act.
I'm not being a doomsayer, I'm just seeing the same things we've seen for years. Cal is not what so many of you think he is.

You guys see that he's in the HOF, but what you don't realize is, he’s not in there for his coaching ability, he’s in there because the stage UK provides for him gave him the ability to put his name on all the first round draft picks he's had. Like AD, Wall, Randle and Townes would'nt have made it to the league without Cal. Riiiight. He’s a fraud and I'm frustrated at how he's still able to get away with it and even more frustrated at the fact that he's still losing so many games with superior size and talent.

He used to hide behind his "we're young" excuse, but he can’t even do that now.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I don't want to say anything mean about our guys but I don't think it's a coincidence that we had a good game offensively today when Ware didn't play a single min and CJ went out with injury.

Reeves >>> CJ
Ugonna >>>> Ware

The quicker Cal realizes this, the better.
My only question from this game is did we really miss Ware? Perhaps that's not fair, but we essentially play 4 on 5 on offense which kills any chance for Oscar to get a breather.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
i didn’t watch the game but some people said ugo looked lost. yet he had 10 rebounds. ware doesn’t have bad games like that. ware can move for his size he just doesn’t have a nose for the ball. if getting game minutes is an investment into a player’s progression than ugo getting a lot of minutes i think will pay off. even if just in the rim protection dept. he also gets up and down the floor very well for his size.
Ugo has 5 fouls allotted to him, and his fouls did not hurt in this game. I'm going to give him more run based on how many times he touches the ball. He's at least a partial threat on offense.

Actually Wheeler is now shooting 35.7% from 3, Fredrick 34.4% from 3.
But Wheeler's are unguarded 3's. Unguarded Fredrick might go over 50%, or guarded Wheeler may go under 25%.

I'm curious how high does Wheeler need to raise that 3pt % to get other teams to guard him out there?
You wont have to worry about it .. No teams in the country is going to guard Wheeler . You know enough basketball to see how horribly broken that shot form is , and how badly he misses when he fires .. what we have right now is his absolute best . Its not going to improve .. On the other hand we have a career life long sniper , but cant find his groove in Cals tangled mess of an offense . I know who I want taking shots .. and it isnt the 10 three pointers Mr Knuckleball took in the MSU/Zags games .

Last edited:
That’s better than making shit up, like you do
You can make statistics prove your point in any argument. Hell look at the data Politicians report. Their data always fit the narrative they want to portray. Bottom line none of it means crap, all that matters is W's and W's in the NCAAT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT