ADVERTISEMENT

I don't understand the whole "It's risky to fire Cal" argument.

Cats192

All-American
Apr 22, 2011
John Calipari has as many missed NCAA tournaments as NCAA tournament wins in the last 4 years. Do people really think we can't find a coach capable of winning ONE NCAA tournament game in 4 years?

I'll give you a house hold example:

I had this toilet. First, the handle messed up. Changed the handle. Well then the flapper stopped sealing. Got a new flapper. Toilet started leaking from the pipes, soaking the floor.

At some point: I'm thinking to myself that it would be easier to just get a new toilet. Now, there's a possibility that this new toilet isn't a very good toilet. But the current toilet, is a POS. Do I just keep the broken toilet because I'm afraid I may wind up with an equally bad toilet? At some point, I gotta take a chance on a new toilet, and live with the results.

Cal fans are just people who are afraid of change

They’ll stay with the same woman their entire lives

They’ll stay at the same job for 40 years

They’ll never move away from their home town or state

They are scared of the unknown.

Do people really think we can't find a coach capable of winning ONE NCAA tournament game in 4 years?
Is this the standard though? If we hire a guy that does that he’d be fired. And the problem is if we’re still paying Cal’s buyout we probably wouldn’t be able to afford to fire him and pay his buyout too. You’d also have to pay the salary of whoever the replacement’s replacement is.

The risk isn’t really not finding someone better than Cal. It’s finding someone who still doesn’t meet the UK standard and being stuck with them because you’re trapped under a mountain of buyouts. That’s what’s happening at Indiana right now. They can’t fire Woodson because they can’t afford to.

it’s a perfectly reasonable scenario you hire a guy who struggles to get to the second weekend of the tournament. Are people really going to be happy with that just because it’s not Cal? I doubt it. And then you would have basically spent the $33 million for no reason while being stuck with another coach you can’t afford to hire.

UK has only one top 20 player coming in for next year. In other words only one five star player while Duke in comparison has five 5 star players. Three point shooting may be an issue with Reeves, Shephard, and Dilly most likely leaving. So next year does not look very promising on paper with six 4 star Freshman who cannot be expected to carry the load as in past years. So we will need to rely on the portal to have any chance on avoiding another ten loss year.

Is this the standard though? If we hire a guy that does that he’d be fired. And the problem is if we’re still paying Cal’s buyout we probably wouldn’t be able to afford to fire him and pay his buyout too. You’d also have to pay the salary of whoever the replacement’s replacement is.

The risk isn’t really not finding someone better than Cal. It’s finding someone who still doesn’t meet the UK standard and being stuck with them because you’re trapped under a mountain of buyouts. That’s what’s happening at Indiana right now. They can’t fire Woodson because they can’t afford to.

it’s a perfectly reasonable scenario you hire a guy who struggles to get to the second weekend of the tournament. Are people really going to be happy with that just because it’s not Cal? I doubt it. And then you would have basically spent the $33 million for no reason while being stuck with another coach you can’t afford to hire.
I think most fans, myself included, would accept some early 1st round losses from a new coach that is building and developing a team that can win in the future.

Calipari likely has a whole new team next year. And they'll be mostly freshmen. I know what we're getting. I don't want it.

Time to take a chance.

The argument always stems from them thinking him returning some of these players would change everything lol. I don’t care if they all came back, nothing will change.

He will most likely not be fired, it’s bad publicity for both parties, and both parties deserve better.

Look for some kind of “soft resignation/ job change” announcement within the next couple of days.

No way Cal can be allowed to return another season.

Reactions: kywildcat41086

It’s simple. You don’t give any coach a ridiculous contract that results in a ridiculous buyout.

Reactions: dl51344
John Calipari has as many missed NCAA tournaments as NCAA tournament wins in the last 4 years. Do people really think we can't find a coach capable of winning ONE NCAA tournament game in 4 years?

I had this toilet. First, the handle messed up. Changed the handle. Well then the flapper stopped sealing. Got a new flapper. Toilet started leaking from the pipes, soaking the floor.

At some point: I'm thinking to myself that it would be easier to just get a new toilet. Now, there's a possibility that this new toilet isn't a very good toilet. But the current toilet, is a POS. Do I just keep the broken toilet because I'm afraid I may wind up with an equally bad toilet? At some point, I gotta take a chance on a new toilet, and live with the results.
Maybe they are afraid we will lose double digit games every year, and never win a tournament game. Oh wait...

Reactions: Cats192 and dl51344
It’s simple. You don’t give any coach a ridiculous contract that results in a ridiculous buyout.
It doesn’t need to be a ridiculous contract to not be an affordable buyout if you’re already paying $6 million per year to the last coach. It’s gotta be competitive if you want a coach whose name you’ve heard before.

There is a risk in that we would lose our pipeline from the NBA and its influence. This would have been far more significant in the pre-COVID era than it is now, although it still would matter.

If this thing ended distastefully (i.e., Cal forces UK's hand) then guys like Towns, Fox, and SGA would probably show loyalty to Calipari if they felt UK screwed him over, at least initially. This could hurt us with elite high school players. I don't think it would hurt us in the portal, however.

Obviously the best thing would be for Cal to humbly step aside and continue on as our ambassador and help the program from afar. That way, he could still have an influence and even help us recruit high-profile high school players.

We all know that's not what is going to happen, however.

I think most fans, myself included, would accept some early 1st round losses from a new coach that is building and developing a team that can win in the future.

Calipari likely has a whole new team next year. And they'll be mostly freshmen. I know what we're getting. I don't want it.

Time to take a chance.

For sure. Think about the way most things are built in real life. Steps. The way Calipari tries to do it is by skipping steps. When you build without going in steps you are building something that has a weak foundation and eventually that foundation collapses. Calipari just recruited well enough that he could withstand it longer than most.

We need a guy to come here that is going to build a foundation not something that is temporary every year.

He will most likely not be fired, it’s bad publicity for both parties, and both parties deserve better.

Look for some kind of “soft resignation/ job change” announcement within the next couple of days.

No way Cal can be allowed to return another season.
Cal has until April 15 each year starting in 2024 to exercise the option of becoming a special AD assistant and stop coaching or he can continue to coach(in his contract). So this may be what’s going on right now. What ever it is, I hope he has coached his last game at UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT