ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner's Future

The draft is weak this year, not a ton of talent so Wagner, Edwards and Bradshaw could all end up late 1st round to early 2nd.

The draft is weak this year, not a ton of talent so Wagner, Edwards and Bradshaw could all end up late 1st round to early 2nd.
Come on. I'd bet my left nut, and that's the good one, that neither Edwards nor Bradshaw get drafted in the first or second round. Wagner is a 2nd round pick. All would be wise to stay in school another year and work their butts off.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I may get chewed up for this by other women, but I can't stand to watch the WNBA. I played in high school and college, plus I coached middle school girls for a while. I loved playing and coaching, but for some reason I just don't like watching the WNBA.
Now I watch and support the Lady Cats (even when they stink!🤪) but that's because their UK! I love watching the guys!

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙
Well that’s the way I am with the NBA .

If kids would do what is best for them, and make good decisions, then they would all be back. Dillingham, Sheppard, and Ivisic are the only ones that have any business going to the NBA.

Would be nice to get Wagner, Edwards, and Bradshaw back to see what they could do as Sophomores. Wagner and Edwards need to work on their jumpers. Bradshaw needs some serious work in the weight room. They need to come back and work on those things.

I may get chewed up for this by other women, but I can't stand to watch the WNBA. I played in high school and college, plus I coached middle school girls for a while. I loved playing and coaching, but for some reason I just don't like watching the WNBA.
Now I watch and support the Lady Cats (even when they stink!🤪) but that's because their UK! I love watching the guys!

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙
horse finland GIF

He really should come back for another year, and I mean that in a good way. He has a lot of skill and talent. And if he made just a few mental changes, he could definitely play himself into the lottery.
. . . .
I agree that he should come back, Mike - and the specific points you made are, IMHO, good ones. I think D.J. might be more likely to come back than we think, for these reasons: (a) it seems to me that he clearly likes playing with Reed; (b) I doubt that D.J.'s family is in such a financial condition that he would need to enter the NBA draft for purely financial reasons. You're absolutely right - again, just MHO - that D.J. could easily work himself into a first-round pick next year.

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

• Haha
Reactions: susan2361
Do you think Quickley benefited from coming back for his sophomore year?

I can’t understand some of yalls takes
Quickly didn't have an option to leave and was very mediocre until Dec 31 of that 2nd season.
I don't know whats to not get. For ky, sure it would be good for him to come back . But everything he needs to work on can be done as an NBA player too.

Players leave this program that are nowhere ready for the nba, they could come back and dominate the following year and improve their draft stock but not going to happen. Seems other schools don’t have this big of a problem as we do & with NIL now there’s no reason not to.

But everything he needs to work on can be done as an NBA player too.
This is what tons of people here don't understand. The vast majority if things can be improved in the NBA if you can just get yourself drafted. And often you'd have to really improve your draft position to make coming back beneficial monetarily.

Let's say you have a one and done player. Let's assume he enters the draft and is drafted 30th, the last pick in the first round. Let's also assume if he came back to school he'd get $1 million in NIL and he would be guaranteed to improve so much he's picked 10th in next year's draft. Which path makes him more money? Let's also assume if he took the one and done path he played his way into a completely average second contract of $10 million per year. That would certainly be a bet on himself to get that second contract, but so would coming back to school in the hopes of drastically improving his draft stock.

Year 1 SalaryYear 2 SalaryYear 3 SalaryYear 4 SalaryTotal earned 4 years removed from Freshman year
Drafted after 1 yr.2,011,1002,127,1002,212,40010,000,0015,450,600
Drafted after 2 yrs.1,000,0004,409,5004,629,9004,850,20014,889,600

So even coming back and improving your draft stock way more than most players ever do, you're still better off just going pro. If you play your way into an even slightly above average second contract the numbers are highly skewed toward going pro after one year.

Unless your sophomore year is the absolute best case scenario that the vast majority of players never do achieve, it's almost always better to go to the NBA and start the clock so you can get to that second contract.

This is what tons of people here don't understand. The vast majority if things can be improved in the NBA if you can just get yourself drafted. And often you'd have to really improve your draft position to make coming back beneficial monetarily.

Let's say you have a one and done player. Let's assume he enters the draft and is drafted 30th, the last pick in the first round. Let's also assume if he came back to school he'd get $1 million in NIL and he would be guaranteed to improve so much he's picked 10th in next year's draft. Which path makes him more money? Let's also assume if he took the one and done path he played his way into a completely average second contract of $10 million per year. That would certainly be a bet on himself to get that second contract, but so would coming back to school in the hopes of drastically improving his draft stock.

Year 1 SalaryYear 2 SalaryYear 3 SalaryYear 4 SalaryTotal earned 4 years removed from Freshman year
Drafted after 1 yr.2,011,1002,127,1002,212,40010,000,0015,450,600
Drafted after 2 yrs.1,000,0004,409,5004,629,9004,850,20014,889,600

So even coming back and improving your draft stock way more than most players ever do, you're still better off just going pro. If you play your way into an even slightly above average second contract the numbers are highly skewed toward going pro after one year.

Unless your sophomore year is the absolute best case scenario that the vast majority of players never do achieve, it's almost always better to go to the NBA and start the clock so you can get to that second contract.

What would this look like without the second contract though?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT