ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner's Future

Wagner usually drives with his left hand chucking up the layup....yesterday there was one play where it looked like he drove with a lot of contact to the right side of the goal and made a classy bank shot layup...bravo DJ. That was special and then he had some emotion of making that shot channeled at auburn,

I don't keep up very well with the NBA, are there a lot of guards still in the NBA that are primarily slashers without outside shooting?

Reactions: RunninRichie
I think it’s crazy to leave if you’re a 2nd rounder. How many of our guys that left early and were drafted outside the first round (or not drafted at all) have gone on to have success in the league?

It depends on your definition of success. Livingston got drafted and is getting paid, whereas he may not have been drafted at all if he stayed this year. Same with An Harrison, Ulis, Boston and Diallo.

Some of the non-drafted like Gabriel, Hagans, Toppin, Tshiebwe, Aa Harrison, and Briscoe have played too so is just making it to the NBA success?

The only one that really would've benefitted, imo, is Dakari. Obviously, guys like Whitney and Mongomery too

I think you don't see it as much in the NBA. Guys like steve nash, allen iverson, etc.... they were excellent at making drives to the basket.

So cringe to say he has been destined for the nba since birth.

Cringe from what aspect? Because I think Dajuan and DJ had plans from the early age that his son was going to the NBA. We talked about him as a star recruit back when he was in Junior high.

It is weird to anoint someone that early.. but thats what his camp did and thats what the aimed to create.

Reactions: BBNinSC
It depends on your definition of success. Livingston got drafted and is getting paid, whereas he may not have been drafted at all if he stayed this year. Same with An Harrison, Ulis, Boston and Diallo.

Some of the non-drafted like Gabriel, Hagans, Toppin, Tshiebwe, Aa Harrison, and Briscoe have played too so is just making it to the NBA success?

The only one that really would've benefitted, imo, is Dakari. Obviously, guys like Whitney and Mongomery too
I don’t really define barely getting drafted and either not or barely getting a 2nd contract as success in the NBA, at all

I would be shocked if Wagner plays here next season, he’s been destined for the NBA since birth.
Edwards could be a great player, all-SEC, lottery pick level with another season at UK.
I’m still waiting on Wagner to show he is NBA talent every night. He shows just a little bit at a time.

In this order, Edwards, Wagner, and Bradshaw haven't come close to living up to all the hype they came here with.
Wagner has had a solid year, outside of injuries. He’s won freshman of the week twice. I think people are forgetting his great games. He can finish at the rim at will.

If his name was DJ Smith and no family ties to the nba he’d just be another one dimensional player with no jump shot. If he leaves after this year it’s a total joke. His stupid deep three point jumpers that aren’t even close need to stop.
Come back next year DJ and improve!! There’s no shame in it.

He definitely has things to improve on but thought he was a big part of our win last night. Go back and watch the beginning of the Auburn game how he's up in the face of their PG playing intense defense. He set the tone right from the tip. Even Pearl and one of their players afterwards specifically credited our on ball pressure as the key.

Funny how he says that but won't consider removing the WNBA which has lost money every year for a quarter of a century.
Because the WNBA isn't just a way for the NBA to make money directly. It's another avenue to get girls and women interested in the game of basketball itself. The NBA "loses" like $12 million a year funding the WNBA, it's nothing more than a rounding error on their balance sheet. The NBA's revenue was $10.5 billion last year.

Reactions: susan2361
He really should come back for another year, and I mean that in a good way. He has a lot of skill and talent. And if he made just a few mental changes, he could definitely play himself into the lottery.

He shoots FTs well, has good handles, and he's very fast. He should maximize those strengths.

1. Use a floater. He does have a floater, but his tendency to drive to his left leaves him vulnerable to having it blocked, and he can't shoot a floater with his left hand.
2. Learn a stop-and-pop jumper. This would utilize his speed and keep the defense off balance. If I had his talent I'd watch all the video I could get my hands on of SGA. Learn how he controls and varies his speeds.
3. Look to pass from inside the paint. Yes he does do this, but only occasionally.
4. Drive to his right and finish with his right. He's gotten predictable trying to finish with his left all the time. He doesn't need to do that. Dilly finishes right and is very effective.

Just those four would improve his game exponentially. Working on his three-point shot would help but that will take the entire off season.
DJ's deficiencies are something that l don't know if time can fix. I love his attitude and love of this team. The facts
are he's very quick and gets to the rim, but doesn't finish. His 15+ range is almost nonexistent and he's no threat offensively. He has a good situation if he wants it. He's not from generational poverty and he should be able to do well with NIL. Stick around another a year or two to gain experience and physicality. All he needs to do is look at Reeves, Ugo and Adou they are going to go high in their own time. No pressure to rush. You're 18-20 years old for crying out loud.

Wagner has had a solid year, outside of injuries. He’s won freshman of the week twice. I think people are forgetting his great games. He can finish at the rim at will.
I think you are forgetting that he was considered the best of his class for significant period of his last two years in high school. His shooting isn't very good and he misses way too many layups. He also spends way too much time pounding the air out of the ball.

Late in yesterday's game when Auburn their 8 - 0 run, things were looking chaotic until Reed started running the offense. He got the ball to Reeves which sealed the game. DJ and Dilly spent too much time dribbling which killed ball movement.

Reactions: crestcat
His biggest deficiency is passing the basketball and that is a HUGE ONE for a projected NBA PG. His decision making with the ball in his hands is NOT where it needs to be. Pair that with his sub-par shooting, especially from the 3 pt line and you have a kid that will be destined for the 2nd round.

He REALLY needs to work on his offensive game in the same way Reeves has but where Reeves had a 3 pt shot then improved his scoring ability in his mid-range game and at the rim, DJ needs to do the OPPOSITE. He can score and get fouled at the rim, but he needs a better Mid-range and 3 pt shot.

I really believe he can improve both areas because he is a great Free Throw shooter, which means his form will allow him to get MUCH better. So another year would help him tremendously. Whether he will return is anybody's guess. In this day and age of leaving at the first chance they get, I'm not optimistic that he will come back to UK.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Love to have him back. He needs a year to work on his broken jumper and refining his game.
Look at how much better Reeves is after working on his game at UK. He's gone from a spot up shooter to a threat from anywhere on the floor as well as a better defender.
Wagner should take note.

Because the WNBA isn't just a way for the NBA to make money directly. It's another avenue to get girls and women interested in the game of basketball itself. The NBA "loses" like $12 million a year funding the WNBA, it's nothing more than a rounding error on their balance sheet. The NBA's revenue was $10.5 billion last year.
It’s a great charity empowering these ladies.

He really should come back for another year, and I mean that in a good way. He has a lot of skill and talent. And if he made just a few mental changes, he could definitely play himself into the lottery.

He shoots FTs well, has good handles, and he's very fast. He should maximize those strengths.

1. Use a floater. He does have a floater, but his tendency to drive to his left leaves him vulnerable to having it blocked, and he can't shoot a floater with his left hand.
2. Learn a stop-and-pop jumper. This would utilize his speed and keep the defense off balance. If I had his talent I'd watch all the video I could get my hands on of SGA. Learn how he controls and varies his speeds.
3. Look to pass from inside the paint. Yes he does do this, but only occasionally.
4. Drive to his right and finish with his right. He's gotten predictable trying to finish with his left all the time. He doesn't need to do that. Dilly finishes right and is very effective.

Just those four would improve his game exponentially. Working on his three-point shot would help but that will take the entire off season.
The NBA drafts on potential. You just stated Wagner has that. He's young. Why can he not do all of those things you listed on a pro team?

The only benefit is first contract numbers could get better. If he were to have a strong tournament it could happen this season.

The NBA drafts on potential. You just stated Wagner has that. He's young. Why can he not do all of those things you listed on a pro team?

The only benefit is first contract numbers could get better. If he were to have a strong tournament it could happen this season.
Do you think Quickley benefited from coming back for his sophomore year?

I can’t understand some of yalls takes

Guys… Sheppard will not be here next year. It’s unfortunate but true
If that’s the case, I may not be around next season.

It’s another ho hum season without him. He’s the key to success next season, IMHO.

I may get chewed up for this by other women, but I can't stand to watch the WNBA. I played in high school and college, plus I coached middle school girls for a while. I loved playing and coaching, but for some reason I just don't like watching the WNBA.
Now I watch and support the Lady Cats (even when they stink!🤪) but that's because their UK! I love watching the guys!

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

He's hasn't shot well since he's come back from the ankle, but I thought his D last night was really good and he knocked down some timely FTs.

Reactions: ukcatz12
He should stay but he won't.... rinse and repeat for the next fringe NBA prospect that Cal brings in.

Like a broken record these threads are over the last decade

Reactions: catben
Am I missing something? I don't get the appeal of the G league - the average salary is like $40K. If Wagner stayed here he'd make what, a million on NIL?
I don't get it either. Not only the low salary's, but those damn long bus rides to half empty or just plain empty arenas would suck. At UK you at least have those kind of things and get taken good care of.

DJ has some flaws, but when Auburn turned up the pressure he was strong with the ball. I felt better with him handling the pressure than the other guards.
Yep and I trust him at the FT line a lot more than Rob. If we're up near the end of the game, I'd rather have Wagner in the game.

Wagner, Edwards, and Bradshaw could all use a second year at Kentucky.

I know they'll all chase the early narrow path through the g-league, but a second year bolsters all of their draft stock significantly.

Wagner could turn into a first round pick with a second year. Edwards could potentially become a top 20 pick. The same is true of Bradshaw.

They've be absolutely loaded for bear with a second year.

G - Wagner - Fland - Perry
G - Sheppard - Fland - Perry
F - Edwards - Richmond
F - Thiero - Big Z
C - Quaintance - Bradshaw - Cyril

Shep is a lotto and probably top 10 pick and it’s not solely on potential. I think in that scenario it’s unwise to come back. If a team takes you in the top 10 you’re a near lock for a 2nd contract. That’s a lot to risk.

Wagner, Edward’s and Bradshaw? I’d take all 3 of them back and don’t think it would be a bad move for any of them. I didn’t want Livingston back. I’d love any of those 3 guys back. They all seem like great teammates willing to do whatever the team needs. Livingston and his people were dead set on him being a 3 and personally I hated that.

I think Edwards has way more potential than Livingston personally. He’s showing signs of life too. And now at least resembles a guy that can be a solid 5th/6th man on a very good team.

None of these guys pout either. When they’re on the bench they’re constantly cheering and trying to pump their guys up. This team doesn’t seem to have any attitude issues

A Wagner/Sheppard backcourt next year could easily be the best in the country. DJ could improve a lot by next season and Sheppard as well.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I don't keep up very well with the NBA, are there a lot of guards still in the NBA that are primarily slashers without outside shooting?
No, but there are a lot that were that in college. NBA players don't have to go to class so they can spend plenty of time shooting. Most NBA players wind up being significantly better shooters than they were in college.

For instance, when Larry Bird came into the league he was not a very good 3 point shooter. That's because it was the first year there was an NBA 3 point shot so he had never practiced from that range(since it's a bad shot if it only counts 2 points). But after 3-4 years practice he was pretty good from that range.

DJ has some flaws, but when Auburn turned up the pressure he was strong with the ball. I felt better with him handling the pressure than the other guards.
If he could consistently find others when he drives the lane his overall game would go up a couple of levels.

At will? His go-to move is a falling-away-from-contact scoop shot. That’s not gonna be available too often in the NBA.
That predictable lefty scoop shot will get rejected through the floor over and over again in the league

Reactions: yoshukai
Transfer portal addition?
Much easier to find a complementary piece in the portal than a leader. Portal guys have to spend half the season learning a new system. Hard to lead when you’re trying to figure out a new system in a new environment.

Sheppard will be the undisputed leader of this team if he returns. He already knows what to expect. And has a two time national champion giving him advice every night. And he bleeds blue.

Cal ain’t finding all that in the portal.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Do not mean this in a derogatory way, Bradshaw needs to find a really good trainer to work with him. He does not have good leaping ability at his height. Work on his lower body strength. Upper body strength ismuch easier to strengthen.

Do not mean this in a derogatory way, Bradshaw needs to find a really good trainer to work with him. He does not have good leaping ability at his height. Work on his lower body strength. Upper body strength ismuch easier to strengthen.
All 3 of our bigs need to work on their bodies. Unfortunately for us Z will do it while playing for a G League team. But Bradshaw could become a good player and I don't think he's draftable at this time so I hope he works hard this off-season, like Reeves obviously did, and he still has potential. Ugo could be a beast if he put on 20 pounds of muscle in the right spots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT