ADVERTISEMENT

“I’m not sure why he isn’t playing.”

Are you saying he is another Wheeler? If so that would be his problem not Cal's. This is not my claim. It is based on what you said. My assumption would be he is still having back issues. I agree Cal's comments are a bit confusing. It would certainly seem he wants him back on the floor asap based on this but I don't know who is actually preventing it at this point. My guess is Cal is not allowed to speak medically so it is pretty much guess work unless Adou chooses to speak on it.
He’s “dunking during warmups”, you tell me! The guy NEVER had a back injury preventing him from playing this long! I’d have done the same with Edwards playing before me by default!

He's sitting, but it's not because of injury. Cal basically clarified that Thiero CAN play, and that Thiero SHOULD play (or else lose playing time to the other guys as Cal alluded to). So we know that he's not injured, and we know that he's chosen to not play.
I don't know why you chose to take Cal's statement here as absolute fact, but then say everything he says is a lie. People on this board use language like "Cal basically clarified" that Thiero can play. Then the next poster says, see, Cal confirmed that he can play. Cal said he looks like he could play, but he says he can't. That's it. So many of our fans make it to where Cal has no opportunity to be correct. All three bigs will never play here and we can't win without them....then they do play. Once they do, Cal is overusing the bigs. Let the medical staff deal with injuries, and once he is cleared to play, complain about his playing time then. Until then, it is conspiracy bs. Just like Bradshaw doesn't want to play was conspiracy bs.

I havn't read all the posts on this long thread but I can't help wondering if Adou is pissed about
a clearly lesser player taking half the minutes he should be getting. I hope I'm wrong.
If that is what is really happening, to hell with him. If he doesn't want to be a team player, sit.

He isn't hurt. Cal all but said that. He's choosing to not play, most of us know why that is. His dad basically said everyone will know the real reason when the time is right. Edwards knows what's going on, too, and doesn't have the maturity to defer to a better player.
You are so twisting what both Cal and his father said.

Wheeler didn't deserve to play. He lost his starting role before he bailed. Thiero absolutely does, and has been battling uphill for two seasons while outperforming his competition. Cal knows this to be true, but is trying to paint Thiero out as not being willing to fight for playing time WHICH IS COMPLETELY FALSE.
How do you know this?

I mean he's been practicing this past week and throwing down dunks. I can't see how he's NOT ready.

Let's hope, but this is still bizarre to me.
Has he been practicing? I know he was in the shoot around, but haven't heard that he was practicing before the USCjr. game.

Has he been practicing? I know he was in the shoot around, but haven't heard that he was practicing before the USCjr. game.

Reports are that he was at practice this week, and according to Cal. Now under what capacity, I don't know.

But in the other thread on this I details a few other NBA players who had acute back spasms, and they only missed a week or so of games. I can't say I've ever seen a player not play for over a month due to back spasms. If a player is out for this long with back problems, they usually will find out its something more severe. Just going on what I know from watching the NBA and more importantly, following players due to fantasy purposes. Silly as that last part sounds, you become REAL invested in players being available or not on a nightly basis.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Of course we're all speculating (but no need to state that because it should be obvious), but the more I read from others the more I think that the best guys we had out there were Thiero / Mitchell and 3 guards, and Adou KNOWS IT. He's watching Cal burn this thing down by trying to make sure Edwards and Bradshaw get drafted. It seems that Thiero has actually been able to play for more than a week. Just awful.
Again. "It seems that Thiero has actually been able to play for more than a week." Where are you getting this? Everything you say starts with "it seems" or "basically" or "obviously" but you never acknowledge where you are getting information.

Again. "It seems that Thiero has actually been able to play for more than a week." Where are you getting this? Everything you say starts with "it seems" or "basically" or "obviously" but you never acknowledge where you are getting information.
I think the staff saying he was “day to day” was suspect.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I think the staff saying he was “day to day” was suspect.
why? players are day to day all the time in every sport. Sometimes they play the next day, sometimes they are out longer. It literally means let's see how he is tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: STL_Cat
Again. It's speculation. 99.9% of what's on here is speculation, including from you. Let people voice their opinions. No one here owes you anything.

This is the quote by Calipari regarding Thiero .

“He won’t play, but watching him I’ve got to say, ‘Well, why aren’t you playing?'” he said. “Like, he’s dunking balls and doing stuff.’ ‘Well, I’m a little bit hurt.’ Some of these guys start playing really well, you’d better get back here and fight.'”
This makes no sense to me.

If you take Cal at his word regarding Thiero and Edwards(yeah I know that is a giant leap of faith) then as per usual this team has a problem. It stands to reason that other players are taking sides on the Edwards/Thiero issue.

We looked like a different team Tuesday night. We got out played, out hustled, manhandled and out coached. The team got embarrassed. Two questions come to mind. Do they know they got embarrassed? Do they care that they got embarrassed?

The board has beat this Tuesday night horse to death. There isn't much left to say. Tomorrow is a new game, do we see the same old same old or do we see something different?

Anyone heard a rumor that Thiero is having an academic issue that has caused him not to play. I am NOT stating this as fact,it's just something somebody close to program I know implied

Anyone heard a rumor that Thiero is having an academic issue that has caused him not to play. I am NOT stating this as fact,it's just something somebody close to program I know implied
I've only heard it because it's been posted here as nothing but pure speculation.

Hasn't played since the UL game which was last semester. He took a hard fall in that game that looked bad. There is room for speculation either way. Cal and UK's non transparent history on both fronts could cut either way as well. Cal's recent comments only serve to cloud the issue and provide fodder for the board

IF ….that were true , it changes Cals comments from being vague and confusing to just out and out blatant lies . Personally, I don’t think it has anything to do with academics .

Reactions: Ugoff
My question is this. Who created a culture in this program that has led to the conspiracies?

My question is this. Who created a culture in this program that has led to the conspiracies?
Cal is the master of distraction.

His team just played the absolute worst game of the year and he has fans focused on what is going on with Thiero.

He knows what he is doing, and he is very good at getting the spotlight off certain players AND his coaching issues.

If you will pay attention, when these things happen, there are always "rumors" that get started from someone, somewhere, that creates chaos and uncertainty around what is the truth.

Sound familiar? Yeah. He is that guy.

You are 100% correct yet there are still many “fans” that eat Cal’s BS with a spoon and say “more please!”

Anyone who thinks Cal is above trolling the fanbase, and even his own boss, think again. He’s done it repeatedly and the louder the criticism gets, the more he relishes doing it.

Cal truly believes in his own mind that he is above reproach and turns into a petulant child when people are like “wtf are you doing?”. That’s why it’s so hard to respect the man.
So true, the guy thinks he can walk on water.
How funny he asks about thiero but never about Bradshaw, ugo or many others.

I do see a trend in his posts. He is not at the Wonky, Bnewt and Mike D level but I dont see him as being a fan of the team.
Been following uk for over 55 years, probably longer than you've been around. Always been a fan of uk and the coaches, but this clown of a coach that you drool over has basically ruined the uk tradition. But you keep on with your undying admiration for the double talking used car salesman

Anyone who plays the stupid, moronic "you're not a real fan" card goes to auto-ignore.
Those of us that have seen the real uk tradition and seen uk under real coaches just can't accept the double talk from this wanna be coach, and his cult followers

Reactions: Mike-McD
There have conspiracy theories since the days of Eddie Sutton. Tubby days were loaded with conspiracy theories.

The difference from back then and now? THE INTERNET. Social media. Bunch of blathering and misinformation flying at the speed of light.

Reactions: grevey35
Been following uk for over 55 years, probably longer than you've been around. Always been a fan of uk and the coaches, but this clown of a coach that you drool over has basically ruined the uk tradition. But you keep on with your undying admiration for the double talking used car salesman
I have been a fan for a little longer than you. I have been a fan during every coaching era starting with Rupp. I supported every coach except for 2 and I have always supported the team. You cant out fan me. I don't drool over anyone as you suggested. Also, I do not publicly downgrade players and , for the most part, the coaches. While I have negative opinions about some of the things Cal does or, does not do during a game, I think he is a good coach. I agree that he can come across as a used car salesman. He is also a bit of a fraud but, to be honest, I do not know of a successful coach that isnt a bit of both of those things.

Reactions: grevey35
He’s “dunking during warmups”, you tell me! The guy NEVER had a back injury preventing him from playing this long! I’d have done the same with Edwards playing before me by default!
Really? You are suggesting he is faking a back injury because he is not starting? That would be a serious loser mentality and a cancer in need of removal. Furthermore you advocate for such behavior in this hypothetical scenario.

to me the bigger issue in all of this is Cal throwing shade on Thiero in the press.

To do that publicly, Cal is trying to pressure someone - who that is, I don't know.

its not good for Thiero and doesn't seem very "players first" to me.

my bet is now on Thiero being the guy that transfers to play for another team next season

If Thiero isn't playing when he's been medically cleared to play, and according to Cal LOOKS like he's ready to play, then this suggests to me that there is stuff going on behind the scenes. One of those "stuffs" would be Cal forcing Thiero to damn near be perfect in order to get playing time over one of Cal's highly coveted and severely underwhelming recruits.
Grades

OK so.. what happened here?

Either Cal flat out lied in his presser. Or, used that presser to light a bit of a fire under Adou.

It does seem weird that back spasms kept a player out for almost 6 weeks, while he was jumping around 2 weeks ago, and seemingly had no issues today.

Then again, I don't know what to believe.

Reactions: STL_Cat
OK so.. what happened here?

Either Cal flat out lied in his presser. Or, used that presser to light a bit of a fire under Adou.

It does seem weird that back spasms kept a player out for almost 6 weeks, while he was jumping around 2 weeks ago, and seemingly had no issues today.

Then again, I don't know what to believe.
How do you know he had no back issues today? He played like shit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT