ADVERTISEMENT

What is DJ Wagner Doing?

Terrance Jones, though?

He averaged less points, blocks, rebounds, and assists and his 3P% and FT% were lower in year two.
This. T.Jones was actually less individually effective year 2.

IQ and Ulis improved primarily as a result of being “the guy” and getting a chance instead of playing limited minutes off the bench.

Washington def had a big year 2 leap w body recomp and the jump that happens with strength in the post. Thank the weight room

Reactions: KYExtemper
DJ would be the starting point guard next year if he comes back imo.
I don't know if that's true at all. Let's put aside the fact that we have know clue who is on the roster. DJ's strength his getting into the lane. I don't know if he shoots well enough to Pope's Off. Maybe he does. It's coach's decision. And while I like DJ and his toughness, he's not quite good enough to automatically ink into a starting spot. For Pope's Off or some other rosters.

He really didn’t. He didn’t look like a superstar, but he definitely looked like someone who could have made a splash in another year or two. It sucks that this is what the culture has become and we never get to see kids like him develop into really good college players.
And thats it, a college player. Some on here still have 5 Staritus from Cal. DJ was a slasher type of player and at times before his injury looked very good. Give Pope a chance to make him better.

He will announce Arky before Sunday
This^^^^^^^

DJ has held off announcing his decision to transfer to Arkansas because that's what Cal has told him to do.

Cal needs players to fill out a roster. Especially guards.
If DJ came out early and committed to Arkansas, every guard in the portal would know they would be playing behind DJ because of his relationship with Cal and Cal's " commitment" to DJ and his family.

Cal wants to get the other players he needs before DJ announces. It will happen at the last minute before portal closes.

Cal is being Cal. Coy Cal.

You don't think his father, grandfather, and coaches tried to improve his shooting? Obviously, if anyone knew how important it was for him to improve his shooting, it was his father and grandfather. If they couldn't do it, why do you think anyone else can?
Shooting was not a major strength for either that I recall, especially dad.

I wholeheartedly hope he comes back to UK. He knows basketball coming from a solid bball family and how to be a good teammate, plus he’s very talented and could be around two more years.

Reactions: know1
I don't know if that's true at all. Let's put aside the fact that we have know clue who is on the roster. DJ's strength his getting into the lane. I don't know if he shoots well enough to Pope's Off. Maybe he does. It's coach's decision. And while I like DJ and his toughness, he's not quite good enough to automatically ink into a starting spot. For Pope's Off or some other rosters.
Fair but playing for somebody who teaches something besides dribble drive might be exactly what he needs.

Yep I say pass - can’t make slightly contested jumpers and is a terrible finisher at rim. He’s a me first point guard without the ability to be that type

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
I wholeheartedly hope he comes back to UK. He knows basketball coming from a solid bball family and how to be a good teammate, plus he’s very talented and could be around two more years.
If he were to come back to UK. Regardless of how well he played or didn't play. He wouldn't come back a 3rd year. Those days are sadly gone. Even the players who have no chance at a pro career won't be staying 3 or 4 years very often. You will have a exception to the rule occasionally. But for the most part two years max. They will transfer elsewhere after a couple years.

Reactions: Fox2monk
If he were to come back to UK. Regardless of how well he played or didn't play. He wouldn't come back a 3rd year. Those days are sadly gone. Even the players who have no chance at a pro career won't be staying 3 or 4 years very often. You will have an exception to the rule occasionally. But for the most part two years max. They will transfer elsewhere after a couple years.
I don’t agree. I think he could stay a third year if the NBA or playing internationally aren’t viable options. He may transfer, yet I’m predicting the NCAA / Congress will pass guidelines to get the transfer / NIL revolving door under control in the next two years.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyskywalker34
I don’t agree. I think he could stay a third year if the NBA or playing internationally aren’t viable options. He may transfer, yet I’m predicting the NCAA / Congress pass guidelines to get the transfer / NIL revolving door under control in the next two years.
I sure hope so

Reactions: wfc7
I would take Wagner for another season with Pope as the coach, without a doubt. He does have obvious talent. His shot is broken, that's his biggest issue. He obviously had the green light from day one and was handed the starting pg job without earning it. Most of the problems I had with Wagner were more about his use and minutes in the system. He shouldn't have been a starter, but coming off the bench. He should have had his shot broken down and fixed as soon as they saw it, but it may be too late now. But if someone, perhaps Pope or an assistant, worked with his shot and made better decisions about his minutes and role, he'd be a welcome addition to the 2024-25 team. He could be a great defensive stopper if he made that a focus. He has the strength and athleticism to be a good player. Fix his shot and he'd be a great player.

I would take Wagner for another season with Pope as the coach, without a doubt. He does have obvious talent. His shot is broken, that's his biggest issue. He obviously had the green light from day one and was handed the starting pg job without earning it. Most of the problems I had with Wagner were more about his use and minutes in the system. He shouldn't have been a starter, but coming off the bench. He should have had his shot broken down and fixed as soon as they saw it, but it may be too late now. But if someone, perhaps Pope or an assistant, worked with his shot and made better decisions about his minutes and role, he'd be a welcome addition to the 2024-25 team. He could be a great defensive stopper if he made that a focus. He has the strength and athleticism to be a good player. Fix his shot and he'd be a great player.
If DJ chooses to come back to UK and forge his own path here, he can be for Mark Pope’s 1st National Championship team in 2025-2026 what Darius Miller was for Coach Cal’s only Championship Team in 2011-2012.

Last edited:
So there’s not better pg’s in the portal? I’m not talking about 5 star pg’s just better. I don’t think I can handle another year of watching him dribble backwards towards half court instead of attacking and running the offense. And then turning everything into a left handed layup attempt.
All of this talk when we know there’s ZERO chance he stays here.

This^^^^^^^

DJ has held off announcing his decision to transfer to Arkansas because that's what Cal has told him to do.

Cal needs players to fill out a roster. Especially guards.
If DJ came out early and committed to Arkansas, every guard in the portal would know they would be playing behind DJ because of his relationship with Cal and Cal's " commitment" to DJ and his family.

Cal wants to get the other players he needs before DJ announces. It will happen at the last minute before portal closes.

Cal is being Cal. Coy Cal.
If any player and their family are stupid enough to fall for that scam, then they are going to get exactly what they deserve.

I think a lot of his shooting had to do with confidence and shot selection, when the 2 guards coming off the bench are better than you and the crowd starts cheering when they come in and you go out it would have to mess with your head.

Yeap, and from what we know about Pope's offense, he isn't going to allow DJ to stand around on the perimeter only to drive to the lane with a few seconds to go on the shot clock. He'll have to remain in constant motion, in sets.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
I would love to have a completely healthy DJ back. He had a good FR year, just not what people expected. I wonder if Coach Pope took any heat bringing his best player (Jaxson Robinson) off the bench this year, like Cal did Reed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT