ADVERTISEMENT

What is DJ Wagner Doing?

LmdCat

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
I can't imagine any quality guards signing with Arkansas if DJ signed first considering the preferential treatment Cal gave DJ last season. Is it possible Cal has asked DJ to holdoff signing with Arkansas because he doesn't want him to scare off other guards he is going after?

I can't imagine any quality guards signing with Arkansas if DJ signed first considering the preferential treatment Cal gave DJ last season. Is it possible Cal has asked DJ to holdoff signing with Arkansas because he doesn't want him to scare off other guards he is going after?
He is just waiting on his turn, my guess is Cal will use him as one of the last commits seeing as how highly he regards him, and his HS status.

Doesn’t Louisville make the most sense?
No, Kenny Payne isn't there anymore.

He really did not have a bad freshman season - he had a bad stretch from late January through February. I don't know how much of him starting over Rob and Reed was his doing but I suspect his handlers had something to do with it as well. Reed and Rob just made him look bad.

He was still in Lexington over this past weekend and at the baseball game.

Reactions: UKgal82
No, Kenny Payne isn't there anymore.

I kind of feel bad for DJ. He did not have a bad freshman season - he had a bad stretch from late January through February. I don't know how much of him starting over Rob and Reed was his doing but I suspect his handlers had something to do with it as well.
I was honestly hoping DJ returned, I have nothing against the kid. Other than Cal misusing him and putting him in a bad position.

I was honestly hoping DJ returned, I have nothing against the kid. Other than Cal misusing him and putting him in a bad position.
DJ has a ton of upside and the perception of him was really hurt by the one and done culture here. At mots other schools he would have had a great first year and everyone would be excited for him to return. But here we all know these guys only get one year most of the time and if they're not studs by February they're considered busts.

I would be happy to have DJ back. I think he’ll improve a decent amount next year. We still don’t have a PG either.
I agree 100%, usually a PG improves a ton from year 1 to 2, and expectations wouldn’t be as high on him IMO. Nobody really expects us to dominate at this point in time, he would be a fan favorite at some point I believe. He’s a hard worker I know that. He had a great attitude and never caused any issues that I know of other than his coach starting him and playing him too much after his injury.

DJ has a ton of upside and the perception of him was really hurt by the one and done culture here. At mots other schools he would have had a great first year and everyone would be excited for him to return. But here we all know these guys only get one year most of the time and if they're not studs by February they're considered busts.
Kentucky didn't create the OAD environment. That was all done by the "Players First" coach.

I've long thought he'd lose Fland if he kept DJ; it's at most one or the other.

I agree 100%, usually a PG improves a ton from year 1 to 2, and expectations wouldn’t be as high on him IMO. Nobody really expects us to dominate at this point in time, he would be a fan favorite at some point I believe. He’s a hard worker I know that. He had a great attitude and never caused any issues that I know of other than his coach starting him and playing him too much after his injury.

I would be happy to have DJ back. I think he’ll improve a decent amount next year. We still don’t have a PG either.
I hadn’t given this too much thought. But I might never stop laughing if things wind up going down like:

• Cal sticks with DJ over Rob and Reed so long and so hard that he runs HIMSELF off.
  • DJ spurns Cal and signs with Pope.
  • As a result of such an embarrassment of playing time riches his first year, DJ makes such a big jump his second year that he nukes Arkansas out of the gym when they come to town.
  • And hopefully leads us to a title/Final Four.

I have a much higher opinion of DJ. He will have a full year of experience and will still only be 19 years old. Any coach will be fortunate to get DJ at any time during the signing period.

Just a reminder for all the weirdos in this thread who would love to have this guy back: he isn't a great basketball player and is ranked the 124th best portal player. And for the dude that mentioned us not having a PG yet - if DJ were here we still wouldn't have one. That was a part of the problem - dude isn't a PG. But as a poor shooter, he's not a SG either. Hence, the NBA isn't interested.

I dont think DJ is going to Arkansas.

Wish him the best.
This dude was given the lead guard spot as soon as he arrived and despite being thoroughly outplayed by Reed and Dilly, he kept that spot and logged plenty of minutes. So if he doesn't end up at Arky, then I'm perplexed as to why Cal would seemingly shun the dude that he pampered the whole season. Make it make sense.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT