ADVERTISEMENT

"Plus, DJ Wagner was out" excuse

We lost yesterday because we got outplayed and outhustled by an inferior team. The team and Cal bought into the hype and got too big for their britches. All this players first, a half dozen players with their individual camps or posse. This is the Cal culture that has been part of UK basketball for the past several years. Winning and losing games is third or fourth down the list of priorities in the Cal culture. There are too many issues that seem to confront Cal teams. This year's list includes maybe Z will be cleared, maybe Bradshaw will continue to play and fit into the team, maybe Wagner will return soon. Maybe all these things will make the team better.

The Cal culture is something each of the recent teams have had to deal with and try to overcome (or at least manage) The issues differ from year to year but in some form are always, not only present, but at the forefront of team development and growth.

Cal goes out of his way to create controversy when and where none should exist.
Maybe you should just pick a bandwagon team until we have another coach? You seem utterly miserable as is.

I don't bash the team. I bash the coach. And he deserves it.

You're the one saying it was a team failure. So isn't that bashing the team?

And a coach is the top leader of the program. So he can't be a scapegoat.
I’m the one looking at the game and what it is. How many threes did you see Cal miss? How bad did his defense suck

Reactions: grevey35
Well, if what you say is true, a ‘good’ coach can take any five and coach them up. Good luck with that.

I’ll give you a military example. You panic in the bush and stand up, yell mommy and get drilled in the chest. Drill Sargent’s fault?

Players are responsible for the floor and execution of the game plan. Cal did not miss a three. Call did not give up the driving lane. Call did not stand too close. Call did not tell anyone to go full hero. They know how to play. They just didn’t.

Now I understand some people just gotta have a scape goat. I’m more the type to analyze what actually happened and try to fix it We don’t play defense. Not one single game have we played defense. Nothing is more important.
Yeah, clearly not Cal's fault. We need better players. Perhaps 6 star players across the board will get us across the beating UNCC at home threshold. Then we could play defense!
Confused Steve Urkel GIF

Last edited:
Maybe you should just pick a bandwagon team until we have another coach? You seem utterly miserable as is.
There it is, the classic second part of the Calipari defense:

1. Throw players under bus.
2. Accuse fans of being bad fans, or trolls.
3. Blame NIL.
4. Blame Covid
4 Repeat starting from top, but never ever blame the man in charge.

I've been on the UK bandwagon for 65 years, not getting off any time soon I damn sure am not on the Cal bandwagon and won't be any time soon. I outlasted BCG and I am going to try like hell to outlast Cal. Miserable I am not, fed up with Cal, guilty as charged

3. Blame NIL.
4. Blame Covid
I did not actually do one thing on this little list you are so proud of. Just saying if it makes some of you that miserable it might be best to just walk away.

So, reading and posting last night and this morning, I'm seeing some decent stuff, and some excuses. The excuse I just can't look past is "plus, DJ Wagner didn't play". I can't believe we have fans here that think it's ok to use that as en excuse. Yes, Wagner is playing well, and obviously very valuable. But Kentucky should be able to handle UNC freaking Wilmington AT Rupp without DJ Wagner. Wagner being out would be a legit excuse for a loss against Kansas, or at Arkansas, or an SECT game. There's a few things that led to an embarrassing loss last night, but DJ Wagner not playing shouldn't be one of them. We are deep at guards. The problem wasn't who didn't play. The problem was how the guards did play. Or more accurately forced or allowed to play. Don't deflect with that weak excuse. It was UNC freaking Wilmington, at Rupp.
You miss the point. Wagner being out isn't "the reason" we lost. But you can't deny it was probably a factor. One of many, including: coaching, team overlooking mid-major, off-shooting game, lack of intensity, chemistry change adding Bradshaw AND subtracting Wagner, only having 3 guards when we sometimes play 3, defense, rebounding, and probably more. Not to mention UNCW is a good mid-major, picked to win their conference, probably at the level of an Ole Miss or Georgia, LSU or South Carolina. This was not a Gardner-Webb, or Evansville, or even . St. Peter's, this UNCW team would beat all of those more often than not. But it's still a game we should win 95-98 times out of 100, but there is that 2-5% chance. Also the best team does not always win, half the top 12 lost this week to an unranked team (some twice).

Reactions: aikenite4uk
No, I'll wait until your coach walks away. I was a fan long before he showed up.
And yes, I am proud of my little list. 😁
He is not "my coach". I'm just not a maniac who bitches and whines like a child that doesn't get their way. I've never considered him above criticism. That is just in the delusional minds of those with Cal Derangement Syndrome. Increased negativity is helping nothing. I'll root for Cal as long as he is Kentucky's coach. That is pretty much the sum of it.

So, reading and posting last night and this morning, I'm seeing some decent stuff, and some excuses. The excuse I just can't look past is "plus, DJ Wagner didn't play". I can't believe we have fans here that think it's ok to use that as en excuse. Yes, Wagner is playing well, and obviously very valuable. But Kentucky should be able to handle UNC freaking Wilmington AT Rupp without DJ Wagner. Wagner being out would be a legit excuse for a loss against Kansas, or at Arkansas, or an SECT game. There's a few things that led to an embarrassing loss last night, but DJ Wagner not playing shouldn't be one of them. We are deep at guards. The problem wasn't who didn't play. The problem was how the guards did play. Or more accurately forced or allowed to play. Don't deflect with that weak excuse. It was UNC freaking Wilmington, at Rupp.
I don't think anything excuses the loss. We're a better team than the one we lost to. It's a bad loss, there's no way to sugar coat it.

If we're in the mix for a 1 or 2 seed, this can be the thing that costs you.

I do have hope that we can still have an amazing season. This wasn't anywhere near the best version of what this team is. And the fact that we lost without DJ makes me think we'll be fine once we get him back.

Yeah, clearly not Cal's fault. We need better players. Perhaps 6 star players across the board will get us across the beating UNCC at home threshold. Then we could play defense!
Confused Steve Urkel GIF
Showing your ignorance. Stars are athletic talents. Not basketball skills. Those have to be taught. It can take months and years.

Last edited:
He is not "my coach". I'm just not a maniac who bitches and whines like a child that doesn't get their way. I've never considered him above criticism. That is just in the delusional minds of those with Cal Derangement Syndrome. Increased negativity is helping nothing. I'll root for Cal as long as he is Kentucky's coach. That is pretty much the sum of it.
Really? He's not your coach? Because you spin an inordinate amount of time attacking anyone who has legitimate criticisms of him. But it does fit an MO of multiple posters on this board who almost use the same responses almost verbatim. See my little list above. I find it absolutely fascinating how you take the Cal criticism so personally.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
Really? He's not your coach? Because you spin an inordinate amount of time attacking anyone who has legitimate criticisms of him. But it does fit an MO of multiple posters on this board who almost use the same responses almost verbatim. See my little list above. I find it absolutely fascinating how you take the Cal criticism so personally.
You are just totally incorrect about everything you say here. Legitimate criticism and even just your opinion is fine. Hyperbole and interjecting in legitimate discussion about how to address issues with stuff like "fire the coach is the only way" is childish and gets really old. I do not support trashing the coach, players, and A.D. every time my dreams are not met. I have never blamed the fans for anything going wrong. That said the negativity helps nothing and there certainly is a point it can become a real problem.

I'll grant you one here. I think Cal has been downright immature at times by sniping with the fans and that contributes to this stuff.

Last edited:
I've thought the same. Even the most ardent Cal support can be real and honest enough to put a least some blame on Cal for games like that. At least some shred of critique and accountability. Bass literally can't summon a shred of realistic objectivity. So, either a A) very successful troll, B) a Calipari, or C) has some level of mental... oddness. Profile indicates they started posting before the Cal hire. So, my guess is a very lonely, and desperate for attention, troll.

... or D) Getting Paid ($$$)

You are just totally incorrect about everything you say here. Legitimate criticism and even just your opinion is fine. Hyperbole and interjecting in legitimate discussion about how to address issues with stuff like "fire the coach is the only way" is childish and gets really old. I do not support trashing the coach, players, and A.D. every time my dreams are not met.
You have a good script. Laughable and transparent sure....but effective. Make any criticism a personality flaw of the fan. So, when exactly did you appoint yourself the arbiter of what is legitimate criticism of Cal, the players, or Barnhart? And more succinctly, why? Is it personal or business?

The problem IS sometimes the coach. It just is sometimes. Facts are facts. Last night was one of those times. Sometimes it is on the players. It can be both. But I think only one group of fans will acknowledge that.

There is plenty of blame to go around on this game. Coach didn't do what was needed and neither did the players. My opinion is that some of the players were trying to do too much to compensate for missing Wagner. This team looked completely different from the team that dismantled Miami. To blame this on the coach only is simplistic thinking that clearly doesn't understand a more complex issue.

There is plenty of blame to go around on this game. Coach didn't do what was needed and neither did the players. My opinion is that some of the players were trying to do too much to compensate for missing Wagner. This team looked completely different from the team that dismantled Miami. To blame this on the coach only is simplistic thinking that clearly doesn't understand a more complex issue.

Oh, so it’s simplistic thinking to blame this on a coach making 9 Mil/year. OK got it. Please enlighten us Mitch on the more complex issues at hand... LMAO.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I’m the one looking at the game and what it is. How many threes did you see Cal miss? How bad did his defense suck
Here we go again with this idiotic take. You realize that the coach’s job is to organize an offense and defense that maximizes the chance that those shots will go in, right? You’d think he would prohibit Edwards from jacking 3s after the first four misses, but you would be wrong.

So if he has no responsibility, which always seems to be the case in your comments, then I guess he should get no credit for any wins because afterall, Cal didn’t make those shots or get those defensive stops lol

You have a good script. Laughable and transparent sure....but effective. Make any criticism a personality flaw of the fan. So, when exactly did you appoint yourself the arbiter of what is legitimate criticism of Cal, the players, or Barnhart? And more succinctly, why? Is it personal or business?
Everyone is their own arbiter and entitled to their own opinion. All opinions are subject to challenge. There gets to be so much whining and negativity at times that it demands some counterbalance.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
I hate losing more than anything in this world and last night was deflating. But it’s a long season and I’m excited to see where we are as a team come March. We have too many high character, high IQ players to not eventually gel and start playing good smart BB. No reason to overreact at the current moment. 🙂

Reactions: grevey35
Here we go again with this idiotic take. You realize that the coach’s job is to organize an offense and defense that maximizes the chance that those shots will go in, right? You’d think he would prohibit Edwards from jacking 3s after the first four misses, but you would be wrong.

So if he has no responsibility, which always seems to be the case in your comments, then I guess he should get no credit for any wins because afterall, Cal didn’t make those shots or get those defensive stops lol
Players win games. How many times must coaches tell you that. Players also lose them

Players win games. How many times must coaches tell you that. Players also lose them
Coaches clearly don’t matter then I guess. Why are we paying this grifter $9M/year then? It’s all on the players, good or bad, right? And the coach had nothing to do with which players signed and which players play in the games. Weird.

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
Oh, so it’s simplistic thinking to blame this on a coach making 9 Mil/year. OK got it. Please enlighten us Mitch on the more complex issues at hand... LMAO.
LOL Adults were talking. Thanks for participating but go do your homework. You don't know how this game is played, do you?

Coaches clearly don’t matter then I guess. Why are we paying this grifter $9M/year then? It’s all on the players, good or bad, right? And the coach had nothing to do with which players signed and which players play in the games. Weird.
Funny. This grifter was hired and retained by Uk. The could replace him in a minute. They don’t. So you and the other bennies can run a college basketball team better than the best program in history. Now that’s funny right there.

Funny. This grifter was hired and retained by Uk. The could replace him in a minute. They don’t. So you and the other bennies can run a college basketball team better than the best program in history. Now that’s funny right there.
Don’t worry, I’m sure you’re in the will Brad lol.

Some people could walk in on Cal with their wife and they would get mad at their wife for not inviting them to watch

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Samurai Cat
Why then do I hear the play-by-play guys talking about a coach’s plan or his setting up a particular play.

If the players are the ones to blame does the coach have any responsibility to recruit guys who are better who can execute his plans.

I’ll just agree with you in this way. Cal in a huddle drawing on a white board is probably the most ridiculous thing you’ll ever see in sports.

Don’t worry, I’m sure you’re in the will Brad lol.

Some people could walk in on Cal with their wife and they would get mad at their wife for not inviting them to watch
Funny when haters get so desperate and so lacking that the have to insult the man’s family and drag sex into it. Licking the bottom of the dish must be more common than I realize.

Why then do I hear the play-by-play guys talking about a coach’s plan or his setting up a particular play.

If the players are the ones to blame does the coach have any responsibility to recruit guys who are better who can execute his plans.

I’ll just agree with you in this way. Cal in a huddle drawing on a white board is probably the most ridiculous thing you’ll ever see in sports.
I said the team was to blame. So let me get this straight. Every was blissful after the Miami game. Every one telling me that we don’t need no stinkin defense. Now, in the space of a week, you tell me that coaches made the players stand too close. Made them not though passes. Made them miss shots. Made them not play defense and lord knows what other stupid crap.

Sorry, it would take a lunatic to buy into that crap

3. Blame NIL.
4. Blame Covid
Yeah, Cal gives up the lane too much and can’t hit the three for crap. I don’t think he can make a pass over 5 feet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT