ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Walker...great tweet!!

Your must be a kid & do not remember that season very well. That team won ugly a lot most of the season but started hitting their stride in SEC Tournament & continued that run. Halfway through that season I can guarantee you there were not many UK fans that thought that team would win it all.
I remember it very well. What does the team’s expectations have anything to do with the fact that Tubby still ran Pitino’s system that year? What you just said literally doesn’t relate to what I said at all, whatsoever.

All these Cal nut huggers talk in circles. Every one of them. Damn near every rebuttal post is a circle argument and isn’t even applicable to the subject. Try again.

Your post is spot on. One thing I ask though, don't you think Coach Cal needs to take a step back and look at his offensive strategy? It seems the game has evolved and this 'beat your man, get to the rim, and have bigs clean it up" just is not working.
Thoughts?
I agree Cal needs to look at everything. He needs to look at his assistants, the player personnel, the offense, the defense, everything. I'd say this is a wake-up call for him, one like he hasn't had in a long time. I'm expecting some changes and for a different situation next season. If he's the man I believe he is, he is one ticked off coach right now. Publicly he's saying he's disappointed with the first half effort and faltering down the stretch but privately he's furious about the way this season turned out. He's tired of hearing about it. He's tired of fans having legitimate reasons to be upset. He's determined to fix this thing. That's my thought.

Rupp had one single final 4 from 1958-1972 & that was the Rupp's Runts team that lost to Texas Western in championship game.

Joe B. Hall had 3 final 4's from 1972-1985 & 1 championship (1978)
  • So the UK gold standard program had 4 final 4's & 1 championship from 1958-1985; the same Cal accomplished 2011-2015.
  • And you weirdly want to complain about Cal & how unacceptable 2016-2021 has been by UK standards...lol

Sutton zero final 4's 1985-1989

Pitino 3 final 4's & 1 championship 1993-1997...his best coaching job was the 97 team.

Cal 4 final 4's & 1 championship team 2010-2015

One thing I'll add about Cal's terrible down years 2016-2020. Last years team had 25 wins going into SEC tourney. It is very likely Cal would've had his 3rd 30 win season since 2016 if it was not shutdown...during the down years.

Some of you guys are just looney!

Last edited:
Rupp had one single final 4 from 1958-1972 & that was the Rupp's Runts team that lost to Texas Southern in championship game.

• So the UK gold standard program had 4 final 4's from 1958-1985.
  • And you weirdly want to complain about Cal & how unacceptable 2016-2021 has been by UK standards...lol

Pitino 3 final 4's & 1 championship 1993-1997...his best coaching job was the 97 team.

One thing I'll add about Cal's terrible down years 2016-2020. Last years team had 25 wins going into SEC tourney. It is very likely Cal would've had his 3rd 30 win season since 2016 if it was not shutdown...during the down years.

Texas Southern??

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
There’s a lot of Conners on here.

tenor.gif

Yeah, let's speak about all of those so-called ignorant hillbillys from the hollers, they're all idiots anyways. What a stupid post, I just put OP on ignore.
The OP mentioned Possum Trot. You put him on ignore because you thought he was calling out ignorant hillbillys from the hollers. Well , Possum Trot is a small town on the Marshall/McCracken county line in far western Kentucky. Almost on the Mississippi River. Yeah, I would ignore him because he is ignorant. Good Lord

nothing says elitism like categorizing UK fans as Connor from Possum Trot

this fan he is referencing, and thousands upon thousands like him, are the reason Cal is able to be paid like he is, the reason the UK basketball program is profitable and the reason why we have a dominant program.

Keep thinking Lexington is the center of the universe and piss off the Possum Trot's of Kentucky at your own peril

Last edited:
I mean you have to be pretty thin skinned to have your feelings hurt by a frustrated basketball coach. Imagine if social media was around during the Pitino years, that man got down right rude with fans on his weekly call in show but that’s what makes great coaches great, the arrogance and I love it.
I never liked TJ covering recruiting but his show is pretty entertaining and Nick usually has some stuff on the football side of things.
Yet, it sounds like TJ got his feelings hurt by a frustrated basketball fan.

See how that works both ways.

Just because someone has an opinion different from yours, doesn't necessarily mean they are wrong.

nothing says elitism like categorizing UK fans as Connor from Possum Trot

this fan he is referencing, and thousands upon thousands like him, are the reason Cal is able to be paid like he is, the reason UK basketball program is profitable and the reason why we have a dominant program.

Keep thinking Lexington is the center of the universe and piss off the possum trot's of Kentucky at your own peril

Its elitism and ignorance . Both . Fans from every corner feel the same , its not like Eastern Ky dislikes Cal and the rest of the state adores him . Thats true fantasy land .

The OP mentioned Possum Trot. You put him on ignore because you thought he was calling out ignorant hillbillys from the hollers. Well , Possum Trot is a small town on the Marshall/McCracken county line in far western Kentucky. Almost on the Mississippi River. Yeah, I would ignore him because he is ignorant. Good Lord

As already mentioned there is another in appalachia and is the area referenced based on the implication of lack of intelligence.

Even if it's a reference to the one in western ky, it's just as bad because the implication is the rural person is stupid because of where they live. Otherwise, the geographic reference would not be made.

Compare any program to Cal's 5 seasons & you're not going to find any program or coach with that success.

2010: Elite 8
2011: Final 4
2012: final 4, National Champs
2013: NIT
2014: Final 4, National runner-up
2015: final 4

**I mean...come on! To expect that kind of run continuously is unrealistic.

2016: 2nd round
2017: Elite 8 (one shot shy)
2018: Sweet 16
2019: Elite 8 (one shot shy)
2020: Tourney canceled, projected 2 seed, won SEC by 3 games

**Yea, that's awful...lol. Schools would love even that.

You're just an emotional overreacting UK fan & it's blinding you to what you're saying. You're seeing what you want to see.
Why did you leave off 2021?
That belongs to Cal also.

These poor hicks people make fun of are the loyal group buying season tickets and spending their very hard earned money going to the SEC tourney.
I am not sure why living in a holler and having an accent or dialect that came directly from England makes one less intelligent from someone living in Lexington. I grew up in Floyd county and have always resented the slurs on my people. Go to the big democratic cities today and you will find the ignorance flourishing there.

As already mentioned there is another in appalachia and is the area referenced based on the implication of lack of intelligence.

Even if it's a reference to the one in western ky, it's just as bad because the implication is the rural person is stupid because of where they live. Otherwise, the geographic reference would not be made.
I agree. The people of Possum Trot in Marshall County are definitely not ignorant people. To be honest it is just a small town outside of Paducah, Ky. The Possum Trot in Eastern Ky. must be a local name because when searching for the name , a town or settlement doesnt appear. Not sure what the Op was actually talking about but it was probably an attempt to be funny and to show just how ridiculous our fans are at times.

Reactions: SmedMoley
I mean you have to be pretty thin skinned to have your feelings hurt by a frustrated basketball coach. Imagine if social media was around during the Pitino years, that man got down right rude with fans on his weekly call in show but that’s what makes great coaches great, the arrogance and I love it.
I never liked TJ covering recruiting but his show is pretty entertaining and Nick usually has some stuff on the football side of things.
I don't think it's very funny to imply that anyone unhappy with a 9-16, 9-16 record I'll repeat again, 9-16 record, is a "dumb redneck" or whatever pejorative term these elitist assholes choose to use to describe someone from the mountains.

Weird, I remember us winning several of them in 2012 and 2014.
Yeah, we also had a generational player (#1 draft pick and future career NBA all star), the #2 pick in the NBA draft an elite shooter and Terrance Jones. So yeah, you're going to win some tight games with that roster.

Our 2014 team list more close games than they won that season, but go ahead and continue to ignore that. But are you saying Cal coached Aaron to hit those shots? GTFOH.

You want to talk about 12 and 14, care to talk about 10, 11, 13, 16, 18, 19 and 21?

Yeah, we also had a generational player (#1 draft pick and future career NBA all star), the #2 pick in the NBA draft an elite shooter and Terrance Jones. So yeah, you're going to win some tight games with that roster.

Our 2014 team list more close games than they won that season, but go ahead and continue to ignore that. But are you saying Cal coached Aaron to hit those shots? GTFOH.

You want to talk about 12 and 14, care to talk about 10, 11, 13, 16, 18, 19 and 21?
You're arguing with leadbelly. May as well stop.

I agree. The people of Possum Trot in Marshall County are definitely not ignorant people. To be honest it is just a small town outside of Paducah, Ky. The Possum Trot in Eastern Ky. must be a local name because when searching for the name , a town or settlement doesnt appear. Not sure what the Op was actually talking about but it was probably an attempt to be funny and to show just how ridiculous our fans are at times.
It was a bigoted shot at UK fans. Please don't excuse it.

Rupp had one single final 4 from 1958-1972 & that was the Rupp's Runts team that lost to Texas Western in championship game.

• So the UK gold standard program had 4 final 4's & 1 championship from 1958-1985; the same Cal accomplished 2011-2015.

Good, now compare the talent that all those coaches had on their teams and compare the salaries.

Who has had the most talent?

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
I'm not picking sides on whatever people are debating here because I can recognize the absolute shit show this season was without devolving to hysterics, but the people who have fixated on the "Power 5 Wins in the Tournament" stat are weird.

A tournament win is a tournament win. To construe it as anything else is nonsensical and is the most clear agenda-driven stat I've seen people give out in a long time.

Man, good thing we beat UMass in 96' because that would have been EMBARRASSING. Marcus Camby be damned they weren't a Power 5 team!! Shew, bullet dodged! Once you're in the tournament, conference affiliations mean jack shit.

Reactions: RolandSchitt
2010-15
190-38 for 83.3%
#1 seeds: 3
NCAAT: 21-4 for 84%
Elite 8: 5
Final 4: 4
Title games: 2
Titles: 1
Vs AP Top 25: 41-14 for 74.5%
vs Top Rivals: 38-11 for 77.6%

2016-21:
149-59 for 71%
#1 seeds: 0
NCAAT: 9-4 for 69.2%
Elite 8: 2
Final 4: 0
Vs AP top 25: 23-23 for 50%
vs Top Rivals: 23-25

73% winning to 83% before 2016
23-23 Vs AP ranked teams to 41-14 before 2016
Losing records versus top rivals, KU, Tennessee, UCLA, etc
1-4 versus Power 5 programs in the NCAAT since 2016

Resume A (5 seasons)
131-40 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles
9-5 NCAA Tournament Record
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Resume B (5 seasons)
149-59 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles (3 Overall)
9-4 NCAA Tournament Record
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Resume A: Tubby Smith’s Last 5 Years at Kentucky
Resume B: John Calipari’s Last 5 Years at Kentucky
So you are Connor?

They're just angry and delusional G2You. They have never experienced a season like this one and they want someone to pay. The obvious choice seems to be the coach. I do understand the frustration with this season. I'm sure you do as well. We've both felt that same frustration and anger with this particular team. It was a flawed team from the get go.

But the thing fans struggle with, especially this close to the end of a painful season, is being rational and actually looking at the problem for viable solutions.

Is firing Calipari a legitimate solution right now? No. There is no A.D. in the world with a hall of fame coach with the track record of Calipari who could justify firing him now. With Cal's recent contract extension, the university wouldn't even consider this option for several more seasons. So, we can scream and shout and nothing will change.

What is a reasonable and viable solution? I said it above. This should be a wakeup call for Cal. There needs to be a way to retain players who are not legitimately jumping to the NBA. He needs to put a stop gap on the losing of players to transfer or to overseas. Players need to be told multiple years at UK is not a failure. Some guys take time to develop. If we had Hagans, Montgomery, and possibly Juzang, this season may have started (and ended) differently.

Other viable solutions include encouraging Cal to look at the entire program, his assistants, offense, defense, and see what went wrong. Now is a great time to evaluate the entire program. And I believe he will. I think he's been looking long and hard in that mirror as well. This kind of season is the kind to shake someone to their core.

And if we have another debacle next season, with a bunch of defections to nowhere, a bunch of losses, no staff changes or any real changes of any kind, we'll be looking at a situation similar to Tubby's last years. He was told to make changes to his staff but refused. He left in the middle of the night. I don't believe it will come to that with Cal. He's a smart guy and he's a very competitive guy. He will right the ship. He will likely be more focused and intense next season than he has been in some time. It will all end up being seen as a good thing in the end. Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT