ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Walker...great tweet!!

Awwwwm you butt hurt because people are calling out bottom feeders who reinforce their ego by demeaning those they see as less educated? Sounds like you might share some of this buffoon's elitist attitudes?

He called the hypothetical fan "Connor" which sounds like some rich kid from Louisville. If he wanted to make fun of our fans by acting like an elitist he probably would have tried a bit harder than that.

As already mentioned there is another in appalachia and is the area referenced based on the implication of lack of intelligence.

Even if it's a reference to the one in western ky, it's just as bad because the implication is the rural person is stupid because of where they live. Otherwise, the geographic reference would not be made.

Yet, that is the real world. People use stereotypes for race, religion, and culture to further their agenda. That is life and everyone does it.

Honest question: has Cal said anything that makes you think he'll change, even in any tiny way?
It really doesn't matter what I think. He's gonna be the coach for the foreseeable future.
But yes, I do think the worst season in UK history will get his full attention. I think it will have have the full attention of the AD and even the President of the University. I think he is having to look himself in the mirror right now and he's not happy with these results. Of course he's a stubborn and prideful man, just like you and me. But you can't argue with that record and the fact that the team appeared ready to turn a corner multiple times this season but never did. I believe he will evaluate everything. All we can do it wait and see.

Reactions: Zissou87
It really doesn't matter what I think. He's gonna be the coach for the foreseeable future.
But yes, I do think the worst season in UK history will get his full attention. I think it will have have the full attention of the AD and even the President of the University. I think he is having to look himself in the mirror right now and he's not happy with these results. Of course he's a stubborn and prideful man, just like you and me. But you can't argue with that record and the fact that the team appeared ready to turn a corner multiple times this season but never did. I believe he will evaluate everything. All we can do it wait and see.
Life kicked the pridefulness out of me years ago lol.
I do hope you're correct. I hope he's done nothing but soul search, these last three days. But his post-game presser didn't give me any indications of that. We shall see. The incoming players had better be AD and Wall level talents or he's really going to feel some heat.

Life kicked the pridefulness out of me years ago lol.
I do hope you're correct. I hope he's done nothing but soul search, these last three days. But his post-game presser didn't give me any indications of that. We shall see. The incoming players had better be AD and Wall level talents or he's really going to feel some heat.
Yeah, I was just watching that presser, and I agree with you. He didn't sound ready to make any major changes. But I think that's the hatred of losing right there. I'm that way, too. If you want me to talk about the future or the big picture with any kind of real thoughtfulness, you need to give me space to get over being angry about the loss.

Hey, I could be wrong, of course, and if the whole team leaves this offseason is going to be awful for Calipari. If nothing changes and we're missing the Dance next season, covid won't be an excuse. He's a smart guy. He knows how to recruit. He knows something has to change. He knows the UK fanbase won't put up with mediocrity and certainly not the garbage we saw on the floor this season. And honestly, he won't put up with that either. He hasn't put up with that his entire coaching career. Something has to give. I think he will be laser focused this offseason and going into next season. Even if it's just to prove his critics wrong, he will be motivated to have the team ready. Next season is going to be about redemption and I think he takes it all very personally.

I would agree Calipari needs to play a little nicer with the fanbase. I also agree with the idea that the average fan who is ready to fire Calipari because of one season gone horribly wrong and those who think he forgot how to coach 4 months ago are not to be taken very seriously right now. Coaches, especially hall of fame coaches with multiple Final Fours, Elite 8s, and a title at said school, and only a year removed from one of his best coaching jobs and an SEC regular season title and a likely 2 seed in the NCAA-T, do not get fired for a bad season with a dozen issues beyond his control. It's really that simple. This is common sense. I really don't care about the stats from the last 5 years that don't include what might have happened in last year's postseason. He's getting another year. And we look foolish, entitled, and spoiled when we demand his firing. That thread that keeps being bumped looks ridiculous, in my opinion. We just need to take a breath and see what happens this off season, with recruiting, and next year. That's all we can do anyway.
I'm not speaking for everyone, but I will speak for myself, since I reckon I'm in the "anti-Cal" faction. I"m not demanding his firing; I'm demanding that he change his approach/methods so that we're not reloading a completely new team, year after year. The problem I have, is that I believe that Cal is too stubborn and egotistical to ever admit that he needs to change anything. Just look at his pressers and social media: this season is everybody and everything's fault except his. The fact that there are players, from a 9-16 team no less, who believe they're good enough to jump to the NBA infuriates me.

Also, not recognizing stats from last 5 years because we didn't have the opportunity to get punked again by a team seeded lower than us seems like sticking your head in the sand. An elite 8 finish doesn't erase the embarassment of losing double-digit games or early season matchups against "gimme" opponents.

No, nobody's demanding he be fired, just that he put behind his ridiculous model that relies on signing transcendent freshmen EVERY year in order to have a shot at an elite 8/final 4 run.

I'm not speaking for everyone, but I will speak for myself, since I reckon I'm in the "anti-Cal" faction. I"m not demanding his firing; I'm demanding that he change his approach/methods so that we're not reloading a completely new team, year after year. The problem I have, is that I believe that Cal is too stubborn and egotistical to ever admit that he needs to change anything. Just look at his pressers and social media: this season is everybody and everything's fault except his. The fact that there are players, from a 9-16 team no less, who believe they're good enough to jump to the NBA infuriates me.

Also, not recognizing stats from last 5 years because we didn't have the opportunity to get punked again by a team seeded lower than us seems like sticking your head in the sand. An elite 8 finish doesn't erase the embarassment of losing double-digit games or early season matchups against "gimme" opponents.

No, nobody's demanding he be fired, just that he put behind his ridiculous model that relies on signing transcendent freshmen EVERY year in order to have a shot at an elite 8/final 4 run.
I hear you nick, and I agree with you for the most part. No, I don't think he wants to change his overall philosophy. That is, he wants to help players reach their goals. His theory, as you well know I'm sure, is that everybody wins when he helps players reach their personal goals and become the best version of themselves. And no, he's not going to say publicly that he needs to make changes in that. So, my belief that changes will come is not based on his public comments. It is based on believing I know the man pretty well. He loves to hear himself talk, yes. He has an ego the size of China, yes. He likes to get in his digs at the fans, at the media, and at anyone who doubts him. Some of that annoys me, too, by the way, but it is not uncommon for very successful people to have the public attitude "never let them see you sweat."

But here are the facts- his philosophy didn't work AT ALL this season. Losing the entire team last season hurt this particular team terribly. Covid-19 gave this team another body blow. Injuries to Brooks and then Clarke were killer. A poorly constructed team with a lack of D1-ready players and no cupcakes to feast upon finished it off. But what about the philosophy? It failed. So, nobody wins. If Cal could have kept Hagans, Montgomery, and Juzang, the whole season would have been different. In my opinion, the Kentucky culture that says "staying at UK for more than 1 season means you're a failure" has to change. He can still help players without sending them all packing every year. I think anyone with eyes can see that. We may have missed out on a couple guys, but having back some experience would have been huge for this team.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
We lose by a zillion to duke and Grace says thank you daddy , can I have another.
We lose the worst loss in our program history to Evansville and Grace is thank you daddy Can I have another.
We have the worst season in UK history and Grace says thank you daddy can I have another.

Imagine if all our fans were like this....... we'd be a vandy or a depaul.

I hear you nick, and I agree with you for the most part. No, I don't think he wants to change his overall philosophy. That is, he wants to help players reach their goals. His theory, as you well know I'm sure, is that everybody wins when he helps players reach their personal goals and become the best version of themselves. And no, he's not going to say publicly that he needs to make changes in that. So, my belief that changes will come is not based on his public comments. It is based on believing I know the man pretty well. He loves to hear himself talk, yes. He has an ego the size of China, yes. He likes to get in his digs at the fans, at the media, and at anyone who doubts him. Some of that annoys me, too, by the way, but it is not uncommon for very successful people to have the public attitude "never let them see you sweat."

But here are the facts- his philosophy didn't work AT ALL this season. Losing the entire team last season hurt this particular team terribly. Covid-19 gave this team another body blow. Injuries to Brooks and then Clarke were killer. A poorly constructed team with a lack of D1-ready players and no cupcakes to feast upon finished it off. But what about the philosophy? It failed. So, nobody wins. If Cal could have kept Hagans, Montgomery, and Juzang, the whole season would have been different. In my opinion, the Kentucky culture that says "staying at UK for more than 1 season means you're a failure" has to change. He can still help players without sending them all packing every year. I think anyone with eyes can see that. We may have missed out on a couple guys, but having back some experience would have been huge for this team.
so when is Cal going to tell the fans he has come to this realization?

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I doubt it has a post office or anything which isn't uncommon. Growing up my nearest post office/postal mailing address was not even close to my holler. The rural route days.
Oh Yeah. I remember back when there was a post office in every little wide spot in the road. Growing up there were 4 post offices in a five mile stretch along hwy. 431.

They're just angry and delusional G2You. They have never experienced a season like this one and they want someone to pay. The obvious choice seems to be the coach. I do understand the frustration with this season. I'm sure you do as well. We've both felt that same frustration and anger with this particular team. It was a flawed team from the get go.

But the thing fans struggle with, especially this close to the end of a painful season, is being rational and actually looking at the problem for viable solutions.

Is firing Calipari a legitimate solution right now? No. There is no A.D. in the world with a hall of fame coach with the track record of Calipari who could justify firing him now. With Cal's recent contract extension, the university wouldn't even consider this option for several more seasons. So, we can scream and shout and nothing will change.

What is a reasonable and viable solution? I said it above. This should be a wakeup call for Cal. There needs to be a way to retain players who are not legitimately jumping to the NBA. He needs to put a stop gap on the losing of players to transfer or to overseas. Players need to be told multiple years at UK is not a failure. Some guys take time to develop. If we had Hagans, Montgomery, and possibly Juzang, this season may have started (and ended) differently.

Other viable solutions include encouraging Cal to look at the entire program, his assistants, offense, defense, and see what went wrong. Now is a great time to evaluate the entire program. And I believe he will. I think he's been looking long and hard in that mirror as well. This kind of season is the kind to shake someone to their core.

And if we have another debacle next season, with a bunch of defections to nowhere, a bunch of losses, no staff changes or any real changes of any kind, we'll be looking at a situation similar to Tubby's last years. He was told to make changes to his staff but refused. He left in the middle of the night. I don't believe it will come to that with Cal. He's a smart guy and he's a very competitive guy. He will right the ship. He will likely be more focused and intense next season than he has been in some time. It will all end up being seen as a good thing in the end. Just my opinion.

Excellent post! Agree.

My defense of Cal is certainly not to say he has no faults. My defense is against the stupidity of those wanting him fired. Just a very uncharacteristic season but also a launching point for him to really get a grip on things.

Yeah, I was just watching that presser, and I agree with you. He didn't sound ready to make any major changes. But I think that's the hatred of losing right there. I'm that way, too. If you want me to talk about the future or the big picture with any kind of real thoughtfulness, you need to give me space to get over being angry about the loss.

Hey, I could be wrong, of course, and if the whole team leaves this offseason is going to be awful for Calipari. If nothing changes and we're missing the Dance next season, covid won't be an excuse. He's a smart guy. He knows how to recruit. He knows something has to change. He knows the UK fanbase won't put up with mediocrity and certainly not the garbage we saw on the floor this season. And honestly, he won't put up with that either. He hasn't put up with that his entire coaching career. Something has to give. I think he will be laser focused this offseason and going into next season. Even if it's just to prove his critics wrong, he will be motivated to have the team ready. Next season is going to be about redemption and I think he takes it all very personally.
I didn't get a sense from Cal, at any point this season, that he was angry after a loss. Or determined to not lose. Worn and tired, maybe. The only fire I saw in him was about Allen and the fans. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's what I picked up. At times, it even felt as though he didn't mind losing to prove a point with the fans. We'll see what happens. It's going to be an interesting offseason. I'm genuinely curious about the schedule. Is he going to chance playing a decent team, or will it be all cupcakes?

We need the Cal back that told Cronin he'd take who he wanted, and then go do it. I'm not seeing any of that guy left, though.

No. I think Possum Trotters would probably agree their town name is worthy of a Jeff Foxworthy joke. Would any Possum Trottians like to weigh in?
I'm not from Possum Trot, but was born and raised not far from there and I can guarantee you if some outsider came in and started name calling the local folks, they would probably be in for good country a$$ whipping.

Go ahead?
He says he doesn't listen to the fans or know what we say, but it's clear that he does. How do you think this sensitivity plays out with Cal? Surely he knows a war with the fambase isn't going to end well for him. Does he have it in him to drop it, and get back to business? Business being winning basketball games.

I'm not from Possum Trot, but was born and raised not far from there and I can guarantee you if some outsider came in and started name calling the local folks, they would probably be in for good country a$$ whipping.
I didn’t say Possum Trottavillians were rednecks. I’ve never been to Possum Trot. I’m just saying I could see how one could make the association that a Possum Trotter might be of the redneck persuasion.

And come on people... it’s all bs

Has Cal been told that his Generational Poverty is complete BS. The elite recruits are first round picks if they go to UK, KU,Duke, etc.,etc. If that is truly what he wants to do he needs to convince the marginal players to stay around and coach them up so they can make it.

so when is Cal going to tell the fans he has come to this realization?
Never. His ego will never allow him to admit the Almighty Cal made a mistake and needs to change.

The only hope we have, is that same ego will force him to make changes because now he is being ridiculed by the media and people in sports that can drive a narrative and change public perception about Cal....

He's not just having to defend this broken mess against us Basketball Bennies.

Cal has exposed his underbelly to the entire sports world and having made a lot of enemies with his Swaggy Cal personna, they now smell blood in the water.

This will drive Cal to get it fixed more than any fan not named Joe Craft.

Reactions: TankedCat
For what's it worth I had written out Larry from Lyndon but it was a little too alliterative, so instead went with Possum Trot which is the coolest name of a town in KY. UK fans used rip fan bases that were as sensitive as we've become.
DOubt it's really you, but if it is, then you know and we know what you were trying to do. Took no courage to belittle rural Ky.
It's why you didn't say Tyrone from Louisville. You're a coward.
Trying to spin it like you are just further proves what a coward you are. You thought you were being clever. You weren't.

DOubt it's really you, but if it is, then you know and we know what you were trying to do. Took no courage to belittle rural Ky.
Trying to spin it like you are just further proves what a coward you are. You thought you were being clever. You weren't.
I can assure you you're overthinking this, or looking to be offended (likely the latter). If I wanted to make fun of someone, or a town, I promise you it wouldn't be nearly that subtle (or dull).

Agree. I think TJ is a racist. He hates rural white people.

Reactions: SmedMoley
I can assure you you're overthinking this, or looking to be offended (likely the latter). If I wanted to make fun of someone, or a town, I promise you it wouldn't be nearly that subtle.
I occasionally catch KSR. Matt had a good line on Friday, Cal needs to remember that the fans aren't the enemy, and are in fact the customer. It's not smart business to devolve into insulting your customers. Being that you make money off the basketball interest with UK fans, I'd suggest you keep that in mind, too. That many perceive this as an insult is a problem, even if that is not your intent.

I can assure you you're overthinking this, or looking to be offended (likely the latter). If I wanted to make fun of someone, or a town, I promise you it wouldn't be nearly that subtle.
I wasn't looking to do anyting. I'm not gonna be subtle either. Takes no courage to pick on rural or Appalchia Ky.
You're supposed to be some sort of journalist or something I guess. Let's see if you have the courage to question Cal on his Gold Standard mantra or UK eats first. Or why his staff is filled ex players and buddies instead of top notch up and coming assistants. Only Lucas is worthy of being on this staff.
Let's see what kind of courage you have.

I occasionally catch KSR. Matt had a good line on Friday, Cal needs to remember that the fans aren't the enemy, and are in fact the customer. It's not smart business to devolve into insulting your customers. Being that you make money off the basketball interest with UK fans, I'd suggest you keep that in mind, too. That many perceive this as an insult is a problem, even if that is not your intent.
I appreciate the business advice, I will certainly keep it in mind. I'm never going to be able to please everyone and if folks don't want to listen to my show because I mentioned Possum Trot in a tweet I'm also OK with that.

Reactions: Zissou87
I appreciate the business advice, I will certainly keep it in mind. I'm never going to be able to please everyone and if folks don't want to listen to my show because I mentioned Possum Trot in a tweet I'm also OK with that.
You do you, Scooby-Doo

Honestly, I've never really thought you were the greatest at covering UK, but my opinion of you has gone up. You did have the guts to come on here and interact with us. Kudos for that. A lot of media types wouldn't do it.

I could care less about someone’s remarks involving one of our rural towns. I’m more concerned that someone wouldn’t think a .500 record against top 25 teams over the last several years, constant roster turnover, lack of major recruits and uncharacteristic lost games in the NCAA tournament isn’t enough to re-examine the program because we may have went into the NCAA as a 2 seed after our PG pretty much quit the team after winning the SEC.

Reactions: catben and Cawood86
2010-15
190-38 for 83.3%
#1 seeds: 3
NCAAT: 21-4 for 84%
Elite 8: 5
Final 4: 4
Title games: 2
Titles: 1
Vs AP Top 25: 41-14 for 74.5%
vs Top Rivals: 38-11 for 77.6%

2016-21:
149-59 for 71%
#1 seeds: 0
NCAAT: 9-4 for 69.2%
Elite 8: 2
Final 4: 0
Vs AP top 25: 23-23 for 50%
vs Top Rivals: 23-25

73% winning to 83% before 2016
23-23 Vs AP ranked teams to 41-14 before 2016
Losing records versus top rivals, KU, Tennessee, UCLA, etc
1-4 versus Power 5 programs in the NCAAT since 2016

Resume A (5 seasons)
131-40 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles
9-5 NCAA Tournament Record
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Resume B (5 seasons)
149-59 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles (3 Overall)
9-4 NCAA Tournament Record
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Resume A: Tubby Smith’s Last 5 Years at Kentucky
Resume B: John Calipari’s Last 5 Years at Kentucky
This is a GREAT post, Richie !

Reactions: RunninRichie
Don’t like the condescending tone of that tweet personally. I have no idea what his politics are but gonna go out on a limb and say he feels the opposite of those who felt disrespected.

FTR—the kneeling never really bothered me personally altho I wouldnt have done it myself the team had a right to do as they felt as well.

But, I do find it delightfully hypocritical that many of those who were in favor of it as opposed to just outright admitting it they instead took the opportunity to voice their disdain for those who were against it—many cases of this type were in that all too familiar condescending tone such as this tweet.

Be a man and admit your position without having to denigrate your fellow Kentuckians. Makes u lower than just about any other life form IMO.

You sound about what I expected you to sound like. Condescending and arrogant. You couldn't be more elitist if you tried.
I remember who you are now. The recruiting guy for Rivals who was really bad at being a recruiting expert. Considering how bad the ones they have now are, you must have been really bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT