ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Otzelberger

ia.ukfan

Sophomore
Mar 9, 2012
Des Moines, IA
Another name to throw out there. He def does not have the appeal of the top of the list candidates such as Jay wright, but assuming those guy say no he’s a semi interesting option.

He’s now taken ISU to the sweet sixteen 2/3 years, young, defense minded tough coach.

Not endorsing him, but I think he’s just as viable as guys like Scott Drew. With UKs resources could he be 20% better? If so that’s a perennial power.

I think he's an interesting candidate 3-5 years from now. Impressive job at Iowa State. If he takes them to a final 4 this year and beats Uconn that's a huge deal. I think he still needs to show consistency.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Apparently long time relationship with their AD, huge buyout, and his wife is from Ames. Unlikely

Reactions: JwUKFan11
Why does everyone say this guy has a buyout they all have huge buyouts and the board Mitch know that. The buyout is not an issue getting rid of the Snake Oil salesman is

Reactions: Fox2monk
One of the things people underestimate is the power of money. He may be close with the AD, his wife may be from that area, his dad may be the governor of the state, but he’s making $2.5 mil right now. How many on this board would decline to move for $6 mil per year pay increase?

I’d live in Alaska for a $6 mil per year increase in my income. And my wife who’s lived here her whole life would be thrilled about it. Our bobsleds would have spinners, our igloo would have a 400 inch TV, and we’d make bank for 3-8 years and then retire and go wherever we want.

Another name to throw out there. He def does not have the appeal of the top of the list candidates such as Jay wright, but assuming those guy say no he’s a semi interesting option.

He’s now taken ISU to the sweet sixteen 2/3 years, young, defense minded tough coach.

Not endorsing him, but I think he’s just as viable as guys like Scott Drew. With UKs resources could he be 20% better? If so that’s a perennial power.
I'm very interested in Otzelberger. Took over an Iowa St team that went 2-22 and he got them into the tournament and made the Sweet 16 his first year as an 11 seed. Last year they made the tournament after dismissing arguably their best player midseason. This year a 2 seed, 6-3 vs the top 10, beat Houston twice including in the Big 12 Champ game. Known as a great recruiter, and he's young and energetic.

High level defense, suspect offense, but I'd like to think the offense could be improved with the better players he can bring to UK. Maybe we could even keep Welch on staff? Anyway, I like taking a shot on a young guy with potential like Otzelberger better than some of the dudes in their 60s with moderate career success. I agree with OP, if you get the expected rejections from Donovan, Wright, Stevens, and Hurley, then why not Otzelberger?

One of the things people underestimate is the power of money. He may be close with the AD, his wife may be from that area, his dad may be the governor of the state, but he’s making $2.5 mil right now. How many on this board would decline to move for $6 mil per year pay increase?

I’d live in Alaska for a $6 mil per year increase in my income. And my wife who’s lived here her whole life would be thrilled about it. Our bobsleds would have spinners, our igloo would have a 400 inch TV, and we’d make bank for 3-8 years and then retire and go wherever we want.
Hell, I’d live in Louisville for 6 million a year

Throwing this name out there isn’t new. He’s been mentioned over 400 times in the other 647 posts about new coach desires.

Would he be little Z?

Throwing this name out there isn’t new. He’s been mentioned over 400 times in the other 647 posts about new coach desires.
I can’t say I have the time to read every post.

I’ve spent at least a few hours over the past few days and do not recall seeing his name. It certainly has been off most lists.

As such I thought it would be an interesting topic. If you disagree, I noticed there are quite a few others. I might advise checking those out. Or perhaps re watch the Big Lebowski, if you’re bored with the thread. Great movie, so I dig your username!

If I'm really happy, know that my job is safe I could live on 2.5 million a year. Wait, I already live on less than that

I’m not 100% sure he’d listen since he has several ties to Iowa State, but assuming that the money could convince him, we could do a whole lot worse. He’s done a remarkable job with how quickly he’s taken Iowa State from the basement to being a team that wouldn’t totally shock anyone if they won a championship this year.

If I had a reservation, it’s that I think he may have a pretty small margin of error with the fans because he likes rock fights more than Cal ever thought about. Nobody would say too much if he was winning big every year, but there would be no patience for a rebuilding year with that style of play.

Apparently long time relationship with their AD, huge buyout, and his wife is from Ames. Unlikely
Wife played hoops at ISU and was head coach at nearby Marshalltown CC. TJ is from Wisconsin and played at a small college there.

Should definitely be in the mix. Double his salary and Pay him 5 million and Cal his 6 million and you have only increased the coach pay around 10% which should be doable.

The minute it’s announced that Cal is leaving UK, a lot of coaches are going to get raises and buyouts, except for 2…

Wright and Donovan🎯

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT