ADVERTISEMENT

GM Draft 1st Round: Rupp'sRunt vs Aike. One Vote needed ends in 30 min

Which Team would you rather be a fan of over the next 5 years?

• Rupp's Runt

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Aike

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's a discussion. I said he was probably my 8th best player. Is that too much stock?

Having an 8th best player who led the NBA in offensive rating, was top 7 in offensive rebounds, can switch all over the floor on defense, and just won a World Championship (where he played a ton of minutes) is a nice luxury, wouldn't you think?

He's definitely a good player. A lot of his rebounds came from the fact that the Cavs had the players available that could spread the floor out. And I mean at basically EVERY position. Wall won't do that and neither will MKG. Just my opinion.

He's definitely a good player. A lot of his rebounds came from the fact that the Cavs had the players available that could spread the floor out. And I mean at basically EVERY position. Wall won't do that and neither will MKG. Just my opinion.

Rebounding translates. The guy hustles, plays great D, and is incredibly efficient on offense.

Anyway, he's just a piece of the puzzle.

Wall knocks down 35% from three. He's basically unguardable.

I love what MKG brings, but if I'm struggling for shooting I can always bring in Booker. Or even LaVine, who is as athletic as anyone on the planet and shoots 39% from three.

Rupp's Runts clearly has the better NBA team. Aike has a more fun team to watch based on play style and the number of UK guys. But I have to go with the better team, I think Runts team is better at pretty much every position except SG.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
I think the context is pretty clear. He and Love both play the 4/5. Both good players, obviously.

It was more important for the Cavs to have Thompson on the floor in order to win their championship.

Really comes down to Thompson's defensive versatility. His ability to switch screens and stay in front of Curry was one of the keys to the series.

Better player? Well, if you want someone to go for 25 and 12 while you win 40 games, Love is your man.

As a 4th or 5th option on a championship team, I prefer Thompson. But no doubt Love is a "nice" player.
Thompson got minutes over Love because of matchups. Matchups in this head to head don't favor Thompson as much. Drummond would abuse Thompson on the glass. You wanna switch pick and rolls with Thompson? Can't do that if he's playing the 5 against Drummond unless you want to watch you other players get dunked on like it's nothing. Then if you play him at the 4, Love will be able to space the floor limiting Thompson's rebounding ability.

This doesn't mean I think your team would lose necessarily. Just saying this wouldn't be a series Thompson would have a big of an effect as you might like.

Rupp's Runts clearly has the better NBA team. Aike has a more fun team to watch based on play style and the number of UK guys. But I have to go with the better team, I think Runts team is better at pretty much every position except SG.

Well, the assignment was to pick the team you would most like to be a fan of for the next five years.

So I'll take the most fun team. Plus, position by position is much closer than you imply, especially considering a 5 year window.

Kyrie isn't better than Wall.

Shooting guard is clearly in my favor.

Durant is the best SF but I have MKG and Giannis to slow him down, and my guys will be in their prime for the next five years.

Love may be the best 4, but he is already gimpy. And he is less flexible than guys like Thompson and Giannis.

Drummond is slightly the best center, but the combination of Gobert/Adams is better. I have no love for Dwight.

Thompson got minutes over Love because of matchups. Matchups in this head to head don't favor Thompson as much. Drummond would abuse Thompson on the glass. You wanna switch pick and rolls with Thompson? Can't do that if he's playing the 5 against Drummond unless you want to watch you other players get dunked on like it's nothing. Then if you play him at the 4, Love will be able to space the floor limiting Thompson's rebounding ability.

This doesn't mean I think your team would lose necessarily. Just saying this wouldn't be a series Thompson would have a big of an effect as you might like.

Well, maybe not. Luckily I have Gobert and Adams if needed.

In discussing Thompson, I was discussing universally what he can do, not specifically matched up on Drummond.

This is about overall quality and versatility, not necessarily head to head. Head to head, maybe I would be forced to use someone else at center more. Which would be fine. I've got em.

Well, maybe not. Luckily I have Gobert and Adams if needed.

In discussing Thompson, I was discussing universally what he can do, not specifically matched up on Drummond.

This is about overall quality and versatility, not necessarily head to head. Head to head, maybe I would be forced to use someone else at center more. Which would be fine. I've got em.
That's fair. I was just pointing out that Thompson's value is greatly affected by the matchups he has with another team. He's a nice guy to have if the matchups are in his favor. The Golden State series for example. When they aren't in his favor he wouldn't really get off the bench. Like this matchup if it were a series. Like you said, you do have other options to replace him, which is nice.

Reactions: Aike
That's fair. I was just pointing out that Thompson's value is greatly affected by the matchups he has with another team. He's a nice guy to have if the matchups are in his favor. The Golden State series for example. When they aren't in his favor he wouldn't really get off the bench. Like this matchup if it were a series. Like you said, you do have other options to replace him, which is nice.

Yeah, I kind of got off on a Tristan Thompson track because of the rambling nature of these discussions.

He's probably my 8th best player, but he's a great piece to have if you are projecting to play full seasons over the next 5 years.

Truth is, no matter what the criteria, people vote for all kinds of reasons. They like one player. Or dislike another.

Which is fine. This is all for fun anyway.

There's only a few hours left in this one, but I feel like weighing in any ways.

At first I didn't want to vote for Aike because he stole MKG from me. That was low, low down and dirty. I may never recover from that. Be that as it may, if we are trying to put together a team for fans, I don't think there's a stronger team in this competition than Aike's. And I don't even care that he has a pint-sized 3rd string PG.

Wall, Klay, Booker, Greek, MKG, and enough defense and rebounding inside to repel the invading Mongols.

That lineup is fire.

A1mUZSB_zpskpjn49cp.gif

There's definitely some funny business going on with the votes in this poll.

I was coasting early, but I'm getting the distinct impression I will lose on a last second shot.

If I told you guys I was putting MKG on Kyrie right now, would that help?

I was coasting early, but I'm getting the distinct impression I will lose on a last second shot.

Freak on Durant? So you're not starting all world Tristan Thompson ?:D

Also if there's a way of showing who voted in the poll. I will share that list upon conclusion.

You could also go with the fan-favorite hack a Drummond/Howard.

Rupps runt- Coach- Stan Van Gundy.

PG- Kyrie Irving G./ Jeff Teague, G.

SG-Dwayne Wade G./Victor Olidipo G./ Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

SF-Kevin Durant SF/Rudy Gay SF

PF-Kevin Love F/Kenneth Faried F

C-Andre Drummond C/Dwight Howard C/ Willie Cauley-Stein

Aike- Coach- Luke Walton.

John Wall, G. Klay Thompson, G, Greak Freak, F/G. Devin Booker, G. Michael Kidd Gilchrist, F. Rudy Gobert, C. Tristan Thompson, C/F. Tyler Ulis, G. Steven Adams, C. Zach Lavine, G. Stanley Johnson, G/F. Dragan Bender, F.

Vote responsibly. And they're off..........

Went Aike, but it was probably the closest matchup for me. PG is a wash - I'd rather build around a Wall type in these circumstances, but Runt's depth is better (but Giannis as PG mitigates this a bit). Teague is unlikely to age well, and he's close to his decline phase. SG big win for Aike - Wade tough to build around and won't age well. I like KCP, and 'Dipo is all right but a non-shooter, but I'd much rather have Thompson/Booker/Lavine, especially with Wall giving them corner 3s. SF is an edge to Runt, but not as much as raw talent would suggest as I like how Aike matches up (as well as one can against KD). Gay is about replacement level for this exercise and doesn't figure to improve (and will likely regress), whereas, say, Stanley Johnson should be better in a few years. Bigs is a slight win for Runt, but I love the youth on Aike's team, so maybe a wash over a 5 year period (Howard and Faried in particular look to age poorly).

The big factor to me was the versatility of Aike's roster - wings that can defend and switch and shift down a position (SF to PF). Durant can, and his top gear on D is All-NBA level, but I don't know he can do that all the time, and Aike's wings will come in waves. Look for runs at the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters to be decisive, and for Aike to fare better in later years. Big key is whether Giannis and Wall can play together. When Durant is fully engaged on D, Runt probably has an edge. Overall I think Aike's team has a bit more potential for growth.

Went Aike, but it was probably the closest matchup for me. PG is a wash - I'd rather build around a Wall type in these circumstances, but Runt's depth is better (but Giannis as PG mitigates this a bit). Teague is unlikely to age well, and he's close to his decline phase. SG big win for Aike - Wade tough to build around and won't age well. I like KCP, and 'Dipo is all right but a non-shooter, but I'd much rather have Thompson/Booker/Lavine, especially with Wall giving them corner 3s. SF is an edge to Runt, but not as much as raw talent would suggest as I like how Aike matches up (as well as one can against KD). Gay is about replacement level for this exercise and doesn't figure to improve (and will likely regress), whereas, say, Stanley Johnson should be better in a few years. Bigs is a slight win for Runt, but I love the youth on Aike's team, so maybe a wash over a 5 year period (Howard and Faried in particular look to age poorly).

The big factor to me was the versatility of Aike's roster - wings that can defend and switch and shift down a position (SF to PF). Durant can, and his top gear on D is All-NBA level, but I don't know he can do that all the time, and Aike's wings will come in waves. Look for runs at the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters to be decisive, and for Aike to fare better in later years. Big key is whether Giannis and Wall can play together. When Durant is fully engaged on D, Runt probably has an edge. Overall I think Aike's team has a bit more potential for growth.

Quality analysis. Thanks.

A last second shot gives @Aike the win. And I was the one that drafted Aaron Harrison for that very purpose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT