ADVERTISEMENT

Vote for the NBA GM Final Poll- JBHolmesfan vs. Aike

Which team would you most like to be a fan of for the next 5 years?

• JBHolmesfan

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • Aike

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are you suggesting that Thompson and Adams are unfamiliar with how to accommodate slashing wing players? The success of Westbrook and Irving/James suggests otherwise.
That's fair and I'm not suggesting Klay and Wall are not world class players, they are, but what about when 2 bigs are on the floor at the same time? That's something he'd likely have to do when Griffin and AD are on the floor at the same time. The small lineup cannot guard that front court.

Should my big lineup struggle to guard his small lineup, which I don't think will be a problem, I have Jae Crowder ready on the bench to come in and fix that. His best lineups would be going small. I contend that doing so would be tough against a lineup containing Melo, Griffin and AD.

JB is going to play this magical fairytale lineup where AD and Blake Griffin both play on the perimeter, and can't be guarded by any combination of 4 of the best defenders on the planet.

But on the other end, Blake Griffin and 47 year old Carmelo won't struggle the guard anyone.

I've never said where AD and Blake are going to be playing on the perimeter at the same time. Both are completely capable of spacing the floor and hitting jumpers. They're not going to be running off screens shooting 3's, but they can play pick and pop very effectively. Blake is very good with the elbow jumper. AD is developing a 3 point game. He was 35/108 (34%) this year. Nothing spectacular, but unlike MKG's torrid 3 for 7 start it shows statistically significant improvement.

Having a young roster is nice because it allows you to play fairy tale. MKG will be the next Ray Allen. Dragan Bender an elite stretch 4. Tyler Ulis perennial 6th Man of the Year. Steven Adams the next Kevin McHale. It's fun to think about what the players will become, but it can often lead to overly optimistic predictions, which I feel Aike is falling victim to. A lot of guys in the NBA have breakout seasons and people think they'll be the next (insert Hall of Famer with somewhat similar skill set). It doesn't happen a lot of times. Guys don't always pan out the way you hoped. Ricky Rubio was supposed to be the next big thing and he hasn't amounted to that. He's a fine pro, but he wasn't drafted in this league I don't believe. He wasn't the next big thing like people thought. Lance Stephenson is another example.

I'd rather have known knowns rather than known unknowns meaning I'd rather know what I'm getting vs. knowing that I don't know what I'm getting. Now, we're talking next 5 years so there's a lot of unknown, I grant you that. However, guys like Lillard, Bradley, Melo, Griffin and AD have all carved out a career for themselves, and largely successful ones. The thing with Aike's prospects is there's no guarantee that any one of them will have the careers of my players. I'm not referring to Wall and Klay, they're great already. We know that we don't know how they'll project so we place romanticized expectations of them being great and greatly improving their skills when in reality it doesn't happen that much.

It's comical. He is arguing that he will force me to go small by playing 2 bigs together who are career 27% and 28% three point shooters.

But I have spacing issues...:joy:

Floor spacing isn't about having bigs that can shoot 3's. It's having guys that can hit 15-18 footers. If you don't think that opens up the floor we can have a different discussion. And you don't have to play small. Your favorite lineups as you've mentioned throughout this competition are your small lineups. If you play the small lineups, they'll get scored on inside pretty easily.

I've never said where AD and Blake are going to be playing on the perimeter at the same time. Both are completely capable of spacing the floor and hitting jumpers. They're not going to be running off screens shooting 3's, but they can play pick and pop very effectively. Blake is very good with the elbow jumper. AD is developing a 3 point game. He was 35/108 (34%) this year. Nothing spectacular, but unlike MKG's torrid 3 for 7 start it shows statistically significant improvement.

Having a young roster is nice because it allows you to play fairy tale. MKG will be the next Ray Allen. Dragan Bender an elite stretch 4. Tyler Ulis perennial 6th Man of the Year. Steven Adams the next Kevin McHale. It's fun to think about what the players will become, but it can often lead to overly optimistic predictions, which I feel Aike is falling victim to. A lot of guys in the NBA have breakout seasons and people think they'll be the next (insert Hall of Famer with somewhat similar skill set). It doesn't happen a lot of times. Guys don't always pan out the way you hoped. Ricky Rubio was supposed to be the next big thing and he hasn't amounted to that. He's a fine pro, but he wasn't drafted in this league I don't believe. He wasn't the next big thing like people thought. Lance Stephenson is another example.

I'd rather have known knowns rather than known unknowns meaning I'd rather know what I'm getting vs. knowing that I don't know what I'm getting. Now, we're talking next 5 years so there's a lot of unknown, I grant you that. However, guys like Lillard, Bradley, Melo, Griffin and AD have all carved out a career for themselves, and largely successful ones. The thing with Aike's prospects is there's no guarantee that any one of them will have the careers of my players. I'm not referring to Wall and Klay, they're great already. We know that we don't know how they'll project so we place romanticized expectations of them being great and greatly improving their skills when in reality it doesn't happen that much.

Yeah your known knowns are phenomenal.

Carmelo = old ball hog

Tyreke = black hole

Al = druggie black hole

Blake = temper problem

I have a roster full of guys who can ball right now.

Maybe you missed Adams and Tristan in the playoffs? Maybe you just aren't aware of how highly regarded Giannis, MKG, and Gobert are already?

But yes, I have a few developmental pieces at the end of the bench that I will enjoy watching grow.

As opposed to Tyreke Evans.

And Al Jefferson.

Floor spacing isn't about having bigs that can shoot 3's. It's having guys that can hit 15-18 footers. If you don't think that opens up the floor we can have a different discussion. And you don't have to play small. Your favorite lineups as you've mentioned throughout this competition are your small lineups. If you play the small lineups, they'll get scored on inside pretty easily.

You're the the one acting like Adams and Gobert can't keep up with AD and Blake.

Shooing 15 footers.

You're the the one acting like Adams and Gobert can't keep up with AD and Blake.

Shooing 15 footers.
It's not that they can't keep up, it's that it takes them away from their strength, rim protecting. I clearly stated the fact that it draws them away from their strength. Thompson can't protect the rim if he's defending ball screens all game. That's my argument. He can't be in 2 places at once unless he develops that trait, in which case he could be league MVP.

While I prefer the team that took me out to win, which is JB's, I still have an issue or two with his team. Though Lillard is a great scorer, he shoots 37% from 3 and is JB's best shooter. As a team, they only shoot 34%.

who would guard griffin or davis at the top of the key if they did a high-low? that's a mismatch whoever you pick. the guy down low has room to make moves too because you have to respect the shooting ability from 18 ft of the high post player and therefore play 1v1. if you collapse on the low post player after the dump down you have klay thompson to kick it to. that's a bunch of options with one pass. or just let davis go to work from 18 ft if everything stagnates.

you can point out defensive problems with griffin/davis but offensively you just have to admit you have options like its the dream team. all lillard has to do is pass to davis on a pick and pop and he slides to the side, and davis is in the offense at the top of the key. what can you do? double davis and let lillard run to the paint or shoot open threes? klay just sits in the short corner. i put griffin inside with space and davis out top and that's the offense.

griffin has the quickest jump hooks in the nba, you pass into him with space and that's a high % to score or be fouled on the shot. keep in mind if the post entry succeeds davis can slide to the weak side board while lillard goes to the top the key. to reset you just pass it back out and do the pick and pop again to davis. that's kind of what i saw when i saw them on the same team.

who would guard griffin or davis at the top of the key if they did a high-low? that's a mismatch whoever you pick. the guy down low has room to make moves too because you have to respect the shooting ability from 18 ft of the high post player and therefore play 1v1. if you collapse on the low post player after the dump down you have klay thompson to kick it to. that's a bunch of options with one pass. or just let davis go to work from 18 ft if everything stagnates.

you can point out defensive problems with griffin/davis but offensively you just have to admit you have options like its the dream team. all lillard has to do is pass to davis on a pick and pop and he slides to the side, and davis is in the offense at the top of the key. what can you do? double davis and let lillard run to the paint or shoot open threes? klay just sits in the short corner. i put griffin inside with space and davis out top and that's the offense.

griffin has the quickest jump hooks in the nba, you pass into him with space and that's a high % to score or be fouled on the shot. keep in mind if the post entry succeeds davis can slide to the weak side board while lillard goes to the top the key. to reset you just pass it back out and do the pick and pop again to davis. that's kind of what i saw when i saw them on the same
I agree with your post. Just one thing, I don't have Klay unfortunately. Avery Bradley and Carmelo Anthony would be other starters. Bradley is a more than serviceable corner 3 point shooter. In your post highlighting just how hard it would be to guard AD and Griffin one of the best scorers in the NBA, Carmelo, never came up. He'd sit in the corner or weak side. If they help off him he gets an open jumper. He's If he goes weak side that gives him almost the entire side of the floor to go 1 on 1 with help defense coming off Griffin's man leaving him open for an alley-oop or dump down pass. It's a tough lineup to stop.
I agree with what you said. Just one thing, I don't have Klay unfortunately. Bradley and Carmelo are the other starters. Bradley would go in the corner and he's a more than serviceable shooter from there. Melo would be weak side giving him almost the entire side of the floor to go 1 on 1. He's still an elite scorer and can score on anyone 1 on 1, although Klay would be able to play good defense I think Melo's size advantage is too much. The help defense would likely come from Griffin's man leaving him open for a dump down or alley-oop. If the defense does a good job of rotating an cuts that off either Bradley is wide open in the corner or Davis is wide open at the top of the key.

That's what I was referring to in regards to floor spacing.

Last edited:
Al Jefferson, Noel, Crowder (Underrated), and a young Buddy Heild isn't a bad bench at all. Knock on Tyreke all you want, I agree with you. But the others are major players for their teams.

I think people are getting blown away by the highlights but ignoring the finer points.

This is a 5 year deal.

Carmelo will never hold up.

Blake is a hot head, and it's impossible to avoid the fact that the Clippers were actually better after he got hurt.

Then you've got 2-3 guys on your bench who are negatives.

There's no question in my mind that top to bottom, my team will be the most fun to be a fan of for the next 5 years.

But I'm tired of debating, so good luck.

And Gobert and Thompson would completely clog up the middle. Any driving you planned on doing wouldn't happen. I love your back court, Aike...but I see that being an issue. I do think your team will be great defensively. But having AD, Lillard, Bradley, Noel, and even Crowder on the opponents lineup....defense isn't an advantage on your end, imo.

Reactions: JBHolmesfan
I mean Holmes has Lillard and Davis. Two top 10 players. Along with Griffin. And rather you like it or not, Melo will be a major factor for any NBA team for the next 2 years at least. Avery Bradley is a smart player. Does what you need him to do and if you want more due to injuries, I've seen him put up major stats.

Griffin having a temper is the worst argument you could make. All those spoiled NBA players have attitudes. He still puts up numbers every night. Attitude problems never stopped you from defending Boogie.

And you're combining Davis and Griffin???? Two of the most versatile big men in the league? With Lillard passing them the ball. I'm sorry but Lillard is greater than wall and prlly always will be.

Klays gonna make 3's....Holmes is expecting that. Gobert and Thompson won't help you offensively. MKG? Nope.

I mean Holmes has Lillard and Davis. Two top 10 players. Along with Griffin. And rather you like it or not, Melo will be a major factor for any NBA team for the next 2 years at least. Avery Bradley is a smart player. Does what you need him to do and if you want more due to injuries, I've seen him put up major stats.

Griffin having a temper is the worst argument you could make. All those spoiled NBA players have attitudes. He still puts up numbers every night. Attitude problems never stopped you from defending Boogie.

And you're combining Davis and Griffin???? Two of the most versatile big men in the league? With Lillard passing them the ball. I'm sorry but Lillard is greater than wall and prlly always will be.

Klays gonna make 3's....Holmes is expecting that. Gobert and Thompson won't help you offensively. MKG? Nope.
We agree on this. Combining AD and Griffin was a gift for me. Sure there's players that can individually slow down those 2 and Aike has some, but when you combine the skills that they bring to a 5 on 5 setting and how they can work together plus the talents of the other 3 players that's a lot. The task of guarding that lineup is huge and I don't there's really any team that could. When the 3rd/4th option is Melo in a 1 on 1 with a lot of room that's a scary offense. Melo in all his flaws is still top 2-3 1 on 1 scorers in the NBA. Perhaps only Harden is better.

I mean Holmes has Lillard and Davis. Two top 10 players. I'm sorry but Lillard is greater than wall and prlly always will be.

Don't need to read any more than this. Lillard as a top 10 player who is greater than Wall?

Hard to take anything you say seriously.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Don't need to read any more than this. Lillard as a top 10 player who is greater than Wall?

Hard to take anything you say seriously.
Lillard has been 2nd Team All NBA and 3rd Team All NBA. Wall hasn't been named to the All NBA teams once.

The Clippers won 63% of their games when Blake Griffin played last year.

They won 66% percent when he didn't.

And they weren't exactly the deepest team in the league, so you have to question what was going on.

It's fair to question a guy's attitude when he's getting in random fights with friends and missing half the season.

And you have to wonder if that attitude has spilled onto the court and caused his team to underachieve for years.

They sure don't play like they miss him when he's gone.

Lillard has been 2nd Team All NBA and 3rd Team All NBA. Wall hasn't been named to the All NBA teams once.

That's nice, but all that tells me is that the writers felt sorry for him for his All Star snub and wanted to make it up to him.

John Wall And Lillard are both elite. Arguing Lillard better than Wall always and forever is insulting.

Okay, saying Lillard is a top 10 player in the league is going too far. Let's settle down, everyone, before someone gets hurt. He was 14th in RPM among point guards last year - at 4.47 on O, -3.16 on D - behind such stalwarts as Patty Mills and Reggie Jackson. Among all players, he was 19th in win shares, 8th in offensive box plus/minus, and 14th in VORP; he's better in box score stats than plus/minus stats generally, and that fits his reputation as a really bad defender (which doesn't show up in the box score). His strengths are shooting and shot creation - in this format, the former is gold, the latter has diminishing returns (due to the strength of shot creation already on the rosters). Unfortunately, his atrocious defense means he's more like average starter in this format among PGs, which is fine (not everyone is Westbrook or Curry or Paul). In another format - like the NBA with 30 teams and an unequal distribution of talent - he's more valuable.

If you're rolling with All-NBA as definitive, then DeAndre Jordan is a top 5 player in the league. Puff puff pass.

I think Wall and Lillard are both elite and similar. I personally have never made the argument that one is significantly better than the other. Aike said that the notion of Lillard being better than Wall means he can't take the other guy seriously. I simply stated the fact that Lillard has been selected to the All NBA teams twice and Wall hasn't. The idea that Lillard is better is not laughable and vice versa. It's pretty close which is why Aike and I haven't argued them.

The All NBA teams are chosen by position. It's not a list of top 5 players. Jordan made it as the best center. Wall and Lillard play the same position so to use it as a metric is perfectly reasonable and acceptable.

^ I was responding more to WonderBrow's top 10 assertion. Your point on All-NBA teams is fine, but it's still a vote and is still dominated by box score stats and offense. Even if that were the best way to pick (I think it's not), it doesn't necessarily translate from 30 team NBA to 10 team draft here - really good players become role players (like Carmelo in the Olympics, a role he excelled at, btw), and the skills role players need (defense and things that don't involve ball domination) are different than for stars. Wall's no saint in this either - he lacks shooting, which is admittedly less problematic for a PG as they space by having the ball in their hand, but a problem on Aike's team as it doesn't ideally fit with Giannis. I think it's a wash overall, but it creates different lineup challenges for each team.

Reactions: Aike
Giannis is an interesting player. He's going to be playing PG for the Bucks this year and Aike already has Wall. Giannis will be starting "out of position." I don't think he's got a true position so it wasn't really a talking point for me. He can play multiple spots.

You have had an interesting position on a lot of this. First off, Bradley isn't much for a 2G. He can't shoot well enough and he's too short. Melo has already started the age decline. Will he be a solid player for 2 years, probably, but the goal here is 5 years. He'll be a shadow of himself by then, if he's even still playing. JB's biggest problem is shooting. Yes he has a dominant inside game, especially if you choose to ignore injury prone players, but his backcourt isn't nearly as good. Guards win games. I think you mentioned Al Jefferson earlier. He is done. I'm not sure why anyone would praise him for much of anything at this point in his career. I still think JB is feasting off highlight reel perceptions, personally.

I agree with what you said. Just one thing, I don't have Klay unfortunately. Bradley and Carmelo are the other starters. Bradley would go in the corner and he's a more than serviceable shooter from there. Melo would be weak side giving him almost the entire side of the floor to go 1 on 1. He's still an elite scorer and can score on anyone 1 on 1, although Klay would be able to play good defense I think Melo's size advantage is too much. The help defense would likely come from Griffin's man leaving him open for a dump down or alley-oop. If the defense does a good job of rotating an cuts that off either Bradley is wide open in the corner or Davis is wide open at the top of the key.

That's what I was referring to in regards to floor spacing.
Hey JB, you're confusing me on this one. Why would Klay be guarding Melo instead of MKG?

^ I was responding more to WonderBrow's top 10 assertion. Your point on All-NBA teams is fine, but it's still a vote and is still dominated by box score stats and offense. Even if that were the best way to pick (I think it's not), it doesn't necessarily translate from 30 team NBA to 10 team draft here - really good players become role players (like Carmelo in the Olympics, a role he excelled at, btw), and the skills role players need (defense and things that don't involve ball domination) are different than for stars. Wall's no saint in this either - he lacks shooting, which is admittedly less problematic for a PG as they space by having the ball in their hand, but a problem on Aike's team as it doesn't ideally fit with Giannis. I think it's a wash overall, but it creates different lineup challenges for each team.

Fair enough. In Luke Walton's system, I see Wall evolving into a player who is better at passing and cutting/slashing, while I see Giannis in a point forward role (taller, skinnier Draymond).

So I think they will fit very well together, but not with Wall pounding the ball or Giannis playing full time point.

Hey JB, you're confusing me on this one. Why would Klay be guarding Melo instead of MKG?
Only mentioned Klay because that's his best perimeter defender. That's certainly not a given. If he goes with the lineup of Booker and Klay on the floor I assume that's who would guard Melo. There's going to be other people that will guard him throughout the game but that's one example. And if it is MKG guarding him the same thing applies. Melo has the size advantage again.

You have had an interesting position on a lot of this. First off, Bradley isn't much for a 2G. He can't shoot well enough and he's too short. Melo has already started the age decline. Will he be a solid player for 2 years, probably, but the goal here is 5 years. He'll be a shadow of himself by then, if he's even still playing. JB's biggest problem is shooting. Yes he has a dominant inside game, especially if you choose to ignore injury prone players, but his backcourt isn't nearly as good. Guards win games. I think you mentioned Al Jefferson earlier. He is done. I'm not sure why anyone would praise him for much of anything at this point in his career. I still think JB is feasting off highlight reel perceptions, personally.
I wholeheartedly disagree about Avery Bradley. He's an elite perimeter defender and is perfectly capable of scoring. Not 30 but he can get you 20 on occasion. He's the ultimate glue guy/role player to fill out a starting 5. He's not an All-Star by any means, but he's definitely a guy you want on your team. Not unlike MKG.

The assignment was to make a team that'd you most want to be a fan of. Fans like seeing their teams on the top 10 plays. 4 superstars on 1 team is going to get a lot interest.

Reactions: WonderBraa
Only mentioned Klay because that's his best perimeter defender. That's certainly not a given. If he goes with the lineup of Booker and Klay on the floor I assume that's who would guard Melo. There's going to be other people that will guard him throughout the game but that's one example. And if it is MKG guarding him the same thing applies. Melo has the size advantage again.
What size advantage? 6'8", 240 vs 6'7", 232. MKG is one of the best defenders in the league. He's a decade younger and a superior athlete. MKG has the advantage. If you're going to use that rational, Bradley can't really guard anyone successfully.

What size advantage? 6'8", 240 vs 6'7", 232. MKG is one of the best defenders in the league. He's a decade younger and a superior athlete. MKG has the advantage. If you're going to use that rational, Bradley can't really guard anyone successfully.
Melo dropped 62 against Charlotte. 10 of his 23 field goals were against MKG in that game. I know that's one game, but it shows Melo is capable of scoring on him. I think Melo has a strength advantage on MKG. MKG's biggest asset is his unbelievable athleticism. Melo's is his strength. On the block MKG could make it tough on Melo, but ultimately that matchup goes to Melo.

Melo dropped 62 against Charlotte. 10 of his 23 field goals were against MKG in that game. I know that's one game, but it shows Melo is capable of scoring on him. I think Melo has a strength advantage on MKG. MKG's biggest asset is his unbelievable athleticism. Melo's is his strength. On the block MKG could make it tough on Melo, but ultimately that matchup goes to Melo.

JB has done a nice job of getting people to ignore Melo's age and physical condition.

He might have an offensive advantage over some of my guys for a year or 2, but overall for a 5 year window it simply isn't the case.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
JB has done a nice job of getting people to ignore Melo's age and physical condition.

He might have an offensive advantage over some of my guys for a year or 2, but overall for a 5 year window it simply isn't the case.
After 5 years, GIannis and MKG will be better than Melo. The question isn't who do you want to root for in 5 years, it's who do want to root for for the next 5 years? There's a difference. And when Melo is declined, but he's contributed to 3 rings do you think fans will be upset? Doubt it.

I'm a Reds baseball fan and the talk is they may be good in 5 years. They have some nice prospects. Good pitching in the farm system. Their draft pick is supposed to be a nice player. In 5 years, they may make the playoffs and be good. Do I enjoy being a Reds fan? Absolutely not. I'd rather root for the team that's going to contend for a title over the next 5 years even if the 3rd or 4th best player has declined.

That was 2.5 years ago. It has nothing to do with now and less to do with 5 years from now.

After 5 years, GIannis and MKG will be better than Melo. The question isn't who do you want to root for in 5 years, it's who do want to root for for the next 5 years? There's a difference. And when Melo is declined, but he's contributed to 3 rings do you think fans will be upset? Doubt it.

I'm a Reds baseball fan and the talk is they may be good in 5 years. They have some nice prospects. Good pitching in the farm system. Their draft pick is supposed to be a nice player. In 5 years, they may make the playoffs and be good. Do I enjoy being a Reds fan? Absolutely not. I'd rather root for the team that's going to contend for a title over the next 5 years even if the 3rd or 4th best player has declined.
I have to chuckle. The knock on Melo is that he never wins the big games, but at his age you're giving him 3 rings. Cme on, get out of the highlight reels bright light. It's blinding you.

That was 2.5 years ago. It has nothing to do with now and less to do with 5 years from now.
5 years from now Melo won't be the great scorer he is now. Over the next 5 years, however he can be a valuable piece to multiple championships. That's going to be more enjoyable as a fan than waiting 5 years.

Melo has never succeeding in the playoffs. That's true. He's never really a good team either. This team is entirely different with far more talented pieces. His role is more similar to what he's done on the US national team. He's done very well in that capacity.

Would you rather UK have a great chance to win championships now and for each of the next 5 years, but have a slight decline starting in the 5th or would you rather wait 4 years to start contending for titles? As a fan I'd much rather have the chance to win multiple titles now than my perceived chances to win in half a decade from now. Aike's team will take a few years to catch up to mine in ability to win titles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT