ADVERTISEMENT

GM Draft 1st Round: Rupp'sRunt vs Aike. One Vote needed ends in 30 min

Which Team would you rather be a fan of over the next 5 years?

• Rupp's Runt

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Aike

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rupp'sRunt

All-American
Apr 19, 2008
Rupps runt- Coach- Stan Van Gundy.

PG- Kyrie Irving G./ Jeff Teague, G.

SG-Dwayne Wade G./Victor Olidipo G./ Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

SF-Kevin Durant SF/Rudy Gay SF

PF-Kevin Love F/Kenneth Faried F

C-Andre Drummond C/Dwight Howard C/ Willie Cauley-Stein

Aike- Coach- Luke Walton.

John Wall, G. Klay Thompson, G, Greak Freak, F/G. Devin Booker, G. Michael Kidd Gilchrist, F. Rudy Gobert, C. Tristan Thompson, C/F. Tyler Ulis, G. Steven Adams, C. Zach Lavine, G. Stanley Johnson, G/F. Dragan Bender, F.

Vote responsibly. And they're off..........

I'll break down my roster by position first, then come back and support my squad:

Guards: John Wall, Klay Thompson, Devin Booker, Zack LaVine, Tyler Ulis

Wings: MKG, Greek Freak, Stanley Johnson

Bigs: Tristan Thompson, Rudy Gobert, Steven Adams, Dragan Bender

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
The assignment was to construct the team you would most like to be a fan of for the next 5 years, and I think I've done that well.

My team can also win today, and is young enough to expect to win for the next 5 years.

My oldest player is 26, but these young'uns are already world class - All Stars and NBA champions.

Start with an elite backcourt. 3 time All Star, and arguably the fastest player with the ball in the league in John Wall.

Second best shooter, possibly ever in Klay Thompson. Scores in bunches (holds the record with a 37 point quarter), plays D, and is CLUTCH. Single-handedly brought the Warriors back in Game 6 vs. OKC.

Possibly my all-time favorite player in MKG manning the wing. Considered by many to be the best perimeter defender in the league. Rebounds. Plays aggressively. Handles it. Love MKG.

Another wing who can really play 1-4 and guard 1-5 in the Greek Freak. Will be a perennial all star and gives me great flexibility. Even shot pretty well from 3 as a rookie, and he will get more open looks with my squad, since he won't have to be the primary ball handler.

Tristan Thompson can play the 4 or 5, and can switch on all five positions on D. We all saw what he did against Steph in the Finals. And of course he CRASHES the glass.

Rudy Gobert is the best rim protector in the league and is only 24.

Steven Adams was considered by some to be the best center in the league by year's end. He brings the nasty when needed.

How can you not love a backup backcourt of Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis?

For all of those crying "pandering," Booker averaged 18 points per game as a starter last season. Ulis was just named as the best rookie in Summer League by NBA.com.

I'll take that for the next 5 years off the bench. Sure doesn't hurt that they are two of my all-time favorite Wildcats either.

For fun and excitement, we also have combo guard and reigning dunk champion Zack LaVine.

We round out the roster with Stanley Johnson to cover for MKG or Giannis in a pinch, and elite Stretch 4 prospect Dragan Bender.

Johnson is a young monster, and Bender is the youngest player in the league. At 7'1" he can fill it up from deep.

As for Rupp's team, he has some nice players. Everyone does.

But Dwyane Wade will never make it 5 years, and I can't imagine watching Dwight Howard mope around for the next couple seasons until his back goes out for good.

When comparing the Guards on these two teams. I have Kyrie/Teague vs Wall/Ulis. Both Kyrie and Teague are all star quality players that can both Score and assist. Aike had Wall/Ulis and while Wall is a top 3 PG I still think Kyrie gets the nod due to his recent clutch time shooting during the playoffs and finals.

Moving to the SGs Wade/Olidipo/Caldwell-Pope vs Klay/Booker/Levine. I think Dwayne Wade has the athletic ability to beat all of Aikes guards off the dribble. While Klay is the better spot up shooter I don't see him being a first scoring option for any team. Curry really hides his weaknesses.

At the SF spot Durant and Gay are both freaks of nature on the court. Comparing vs MKG and the Greek freak I don't they stand a chance. Durant is always top 5 in scoring every year. While MKG has been hurt and has a very broken shot. At the end of the day going past UK bias Durant > MKG. All day.

The post is where I really think my team dominates. With Drummond a 20 and 20 player that will continue to dominate. All3 of my Centers are elite rim protectors (Drummond/Howard/WCS) WCS will grow to be one of the most athletic centers and best shot blockers in the league. Kevin love will provide rebounds and spread the floor with elite shooting. Kenneth Faried will provide a body that will bang in the post and clean up any offensive rbds with viscous assualtind dunk of the rim. Compared to Steven Adams )who I believe is a tad overrated),Gobert,Tristan Thompson(who was a no show this year)and Bender. I think Aike himself would plead no contest to this one as all my post players(really all my players) have all star quality or are quickly growing into that type of player.

Wow. They may be the most biased write-up I've ever seen.

I'll make it quick.

Kyrie over Wall is blasphemy.

The Hawks couldn't shed Jeff Teague fast enough.

Wade is on his last lap and will never last 5 years. 3 maybe.

Gay is a talented loser. Not even worth discussing.

Of course Durant is the best SF. But MKG can make him work, and so can Giannis.

5 years of MKG/Greek Freak/Stanley Johnson? I'll take that over Durant and the risk of injury or wilting in key moments.

Drummond is fine. Dwight Howard is a whiny joke, and unfortunately WCS is a little too laid back for his own good.

Gobert is the best rim protector in the league, Adams can go toe to toe with anyone, and Tristan Thompson is fresh off a world championship where his defense and rebounding were key.

For the record, Thompson led the NBA in offensive rating, and was 7th in Offensive Rebound percentage. If that's a "no show" I'd hate to see the guy show up.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
Both of you put together very good teams. Wall having two elite shooters on the wing is an interesting pick, and I think it would work well for him. Meanwhile, hard to go against a team with Durant/Irving, especially when they have an elite offensive rebounder cleaning up their rare misses in Drummond.

Tough call.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
Both of you put together very good teams. Wall having two elite shooters on the wing is an interesting pick, and I think it would work well for him. Meanwhile, hard to go against a team with Durant/Irving, especially when they have an elite offensive rebounder cleaning up their rare misses in Drummond.

Tough call.

I'll make it easy for you.

Put the ball in hands of a Wildcat instead of a Dukie. :D

I'd take 5 years of KD over MKG/Stanley/Giannis, easily.

Pretty big fan of Steven Adams and Gobert rotating at center.

A Wall/Klay backcourt is really nice, don't think Ulis should have been selected in round 8 but oh well, is what it is.

Can't stand Kyrie but he's becoming a top 5 point guard and is only 23 I think.

I'll make it easy for you.

Put the ball in hands of a Wildcat instead of a Dukie. :D
The definition of pandering. And to say that Drummond/Dwight don't put your post to shame. I don't think you have enough athleticism to go with wall. We will see how Greek plays out. And Wall needs to develop a better shot imo. Great floor general though. And Gay is a talented loser? I think you meant to say he plays on bad teams. If not that means your whole team is talented losers. While mine are in the championship hunt.

I'd take 5 years of KD over MKG/Stanley/Giannis, easily.

Pretty big fan of Steven Adams and Gobert rotating at center.

A Wall/Klay backcourt is really nice, don't think Ulis should have been selected in round 8 but oh well, is what it is.

Can't stand Kyrie but he's becoming a top 5 point guard and is only 23 I think.

Kyrie is a talent, but Wall had clearly passed him prior to Lebron joining the Cavs.

I give Kyie all the credit in the world for drafting off of Lebron and hitting some big shots, but the Cavs couldn't sniff the playoffs with Kyrie running the show.

The only alpha on this roster is D-Wade, and he is almost through.

Kyrie is a talent, but Wall had clearly passed him prior to Lebron joining the Cavs.

I give Kyie all the credit in the world for drafting off of Lebron and hitting some big shots, but the Cavs couldn't sniff the playoffs with Kyrie running the show.

The only alpha on this roster is D-Wade, and he is almost through.
So Kevin Durant and Andre Drummond aren't good anymore? Wow that was fast. Also you're giving Devin booker and ulis to much credit imo. Ulis shined against bad players and Booker only played last year Bc all the guards on the Suns got hurt. I'd say my team has more talent than yours day in day out.

The definition of pandering. And to say that Drummond/Dwight don't put your post to shame. I don't think you have enough athleticism to go with wall. We will see how Greek plays out. And Wall needs to develop a better shot imo. Great floor general though. And Gay is a talented loser? I think you meant to say he plays on bad teams. If not that means your whole team is talented losers. While mine are in the championship hunt.

You apparently don't get how strong a Gobert/Adams post combo is.

You don't think MKG, Greek Freak, Zack LaVine, etc. are athletic? Wow.

Wall already shoots 35% from three. To go with 10 assists per page. 20 ppg. What more do you want from the guy?

Gay gets traded, his former team gets better. Is what it is.

And we both have 2 players who played in the Finals this year, so that last comment makes no sense.

So Kevin Durant and Andre Drummond aren't good anymore? Wow that was fast. Also you're giving Devin booker and ulis to much credit imo. Ulis shined against bad players and Booker only played last year Bc all the guards on the Suns got hurt. I'd say my team has more talent than yours day in day out.

This is becoming bizarre. I, in fact, said that both of those guys are good.

If you want to criticize Ulis and Booker, you're entitled to your opinion.

I'm very comfortable having those guys develop on my roster over the next 5 years.

You apparently don't get how strong a Gobert/Adams post combo is.

You don't think MKG, Greek Freak, Zack LaVine, etc. are athletic? Wow.

Wall already shoots 35% from three. To go with 10 assists per page. 20 ppg. What more do you want from the guy?

Gay gets traded, his former team gets better. Is what it is.

And we both have 2 players who played in the Finals this year, so that last comment makes no sense.
While those players may be athletic I don't see the offensive production KD will produce. My teams built to score fast and efficiently. To compare Gobert to Drummond is laughable. Drummond will be an 8 time all star by the end of career. Gobert won't get one.

While those players may be athletic I don't see the offensive production KD will produce. My teams built to score fast and efficiently. To compare Gobert to Drummond is laughable. Drummond will be an 8 time all star by the end of career. Gobert won't get one.

Drummond is a slightly better rebounder. Gobert is a much better shot blocker.

I just don't think you understand how talented Gobert is. That's fine. I assume you don't follow the NBA closely.

Wall=Kyrie
Klay>Wade
KD>MKG
Love>Thompson
Drummond/Howard>Gobert/Adams

I would probably play Giannis at the 4 quite a bit, which is bad news for Love.

Even if you want to call Kyrie equal to Wall, I've got to go with Wall since this is about the team I'd rather be a fan of.

You're just wrong about the centers, but that's fine.

Stats don't lie Gobert 9.1 ppg 11 rpg
Drummond 16.2 ppg 14.8 rpg

Those are stats, yes.

Here are some others:

Rebounding Percentage

1. Drummond
6. Gobert

Block Percentage

3. Gobert

Somewhere off the page. Drummond

PER for Centers Drummond 12th best
Gobert 24 followed by 2 plumlees. Idk how you think Gobert is better just because he's ranked 3rd in blocks. Drummond scores rebounds and plays great D.

PER for Centers Drummond 12th best
Gobert 24 followed by 2 plumlees. Idk how you think Gobert is better just because he's ranked 3rd in blocks. Drummond scores rebounds and plays great D.

I never said Gobert was better than Drummond, although they are close.

But I like Adams off the bench much more than a whiny, washed up Dwight Howard.

All stars the past 3 years. Rupps runt- Durant,Irving,Teague,Drummond,Wade,Love, Howard.

Aike-John Wall, Klay Thompson.

7 vs 2

Not revealing my pick, but Aike almost lost it by referring to guards/wings/bigs instead of PGs/wings/bigs. :(

But two nice teams, and some compelling arguments and advocating.

The assignment was to construct the team you would most like to be a fan of for the next 5 years, and I think I've done that well.

My team can also win today, and is young enough to expect to win for the next 5 years.

My oldest player is 26, but these young'uns are already world class - All Stars and NBA champions.

Start with an elite backcourt. 3 time All Star, and arguably the fastest player with the ball in the league in John Wall.

Second best shooter, possibly ever in Klay Thompson. Scores in bunches (holds the record with a 37 point quarter), plays D, and is CLUTCH. Single-handedly brought the Warriors back in Game 6 vs. OKC.

Possibly my all-time favorite player in MKG manning the wing. Considered by many to be the best perimeter defender in the league. Rebounds. Plays aggressively. Handles it. Love MKG.

Another wing who can really play 1-4 and guard 1-5 in the Greek Freak. Will be a perennial all star and gives me great flexibility. Even shot pretty well from 3 as a rookie, and he will get more open looks with my squad, since he won't have to be the primary ball handler.

Tristan Thompson can play the 4 or 5, and can switch on all five positions on D. We all saw what he did against Steph in the Finals. And of course he CRASHES the glass.

Rudy Gobert is the best rim protector in the league and is only 24.

Steven Adams was considered by some to be the best center in the league by year's end. He brings the nasty when needed.

How can you not love a backup backcourt of Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis?

For all of those crying "pandering," Booker averaged 18 points per game as a starter last season. Ulis was just named as the best rookie in Summer League by NBA.com.

I'll take that for the next 5 years off the bench. Sure doesn't hurt that they are two of my all-time favorite Wildcats either.

For fun and excitement, we also have combo guard and reigning dunk champion Zack LaVine.

We round out the roster with Stanley Johnson to cover for MKG or Giannis in a pinch, and elite Stretch 4 prospect Dragan Bender.

Johnson is a young monster, and Bender is the youngest player in the league. At 7'1" he can fill it up from deep.

As for Rupp's team, he has some nice players. Everyone does.

But Dwyane Wade will never make it 5 years, and I can't imagine watching Dwight Howard mope around for the next couple seasons until his back goes out for good.

Tons of hyperboles in this analysis

Not revealing my pick, but Aike almost lost it by referring to guards/wings/bigs instead of PGs/wings/bigs. :(

But two nice teams, and some compelling arguments and advocating.

Lol, yeah that was a little clunky.

That's the problem with drafting so many "positionless" players. :smiley:

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Kyrie, Durant, Drummond, Love is nice.

You might be interested to learn that Tristan Thompson played more minutes than Love during each of those 3 Cleveland wins to close the series.

In game 6, Thompson played 42 minutes (more than Lebron, even), and Love played 11.

Love may be "nice," but Thompson is a more important piece. And you could argue that he's only my 8th best player.

You might be interested to learn that Tristan Thompson played more minutes than Love during each of those 3 Cleveland wins to close the series.

In game 6, Thompson played 42 minutes (more than Lebron, even), and Love played 11.

Love may be "nice," but Thompson is a more important piece. And you could argue that he's only my 8th best player.

Is the argument you're going with that Tristan Thompson is a better player than Kevin Love? Otherwise, you need context for why he's "more important."

Is the argument you're going with that Tristan Thompson is a better player than Kevin Love? Otherwise, you need context for why he's "more important."

I think the context is pretty clear. He and Love both play the 4/5. Both good players, obviously.

It was more important for the Cavs to have Thompson on the floor in order to win their championship.

Really comes down to Thompson's defensive versatility. His ability to switch screens and stay in front of Curry was one of the keys to the series.

Better player? Well, if you want someone to go for 25 and 12 while you win 40 games, Love is your man.

As a 4th or 5th option on a championship team, I prefer Thompson. But no doubt Love is a "nice" player.

I like a core of KD, Kyrie, Drummond the best. Rudy Gay being on the roster bothers me but I don't see him playing much.

SVG>Luke as far as coaches go.

Aike's backcourt is just filthy though, Klay would feed off Wall's passing well. Would be very hard to defend.

I like a core of KD, Kyrie, Drummond the best. Rudy Gay being on the roster bothers me but I don't see him playing much.

SVG>Luke as far as coaches go.

Aike's backcourt is just filthy though, Klay would feed off Wall's passing well. Would be very hard to defend.

All I've ever seen Luke do is win with great players. I figure that's what he'll keep doing.

SVG is solid. Not a champion but a grinder.

I love the speed and versatility of my roster.

You can go "small ball" with Wall/Klay/MKG/Freak/Thompson. That team is just nasty defensively - switching all over the place, flying down court in transistion.

Need more shooting, you can play Klay and Booker both with Wall. Go with one of MKG or Freak as a small ball 4 then plug in Rudy Gobert to protect the rim.

Or use a bigger set with Thompson at the 4 and Adams at the 5. Lots of fun options.

You're putting waaaaaaaay too much stock in Tristan Thompson.

It's a discussion. I said he was probably my 8th best player. Is that too much stock?

Having an 8th best player who led the NBA in offensive rating, was top 7 in offensive rebounds, can switch all over the floor on defense, and just won a World Championship (where he played a ton of minutes) is a nice luxury, wouldn't you think?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT