ADVERTISEMENT

X MeManBoy0 says at least 3 guys not in portal like UK

If you want someone from Minnesota, you hope that Cam Christie enters the Portal-he's in he NBA Draft and making a decision but that's the only player off that roster you'd want.

Hawkins is not in the same class as Smith from Utah. It's not even close in terms of talent/impact on a game. He's erratic and plays in spurts....can't defend anyone. Collapsed down the stretch when Minnesota had a chance to place themselves in the mix/on the bubble and just played like absolute crap.

I'd rather have Boogie Fland return to UK then Elijah Hawkins. He left Howard to go to Minnesota and was the first guy to announce his "return" to "do something special" at Minnesota next year-they had paid him $250K in NIL money.

If this is what they are waiting on--not sure I want to know who the 2 other guys are. LOL

If you want someone from Minnesota, you hope that Cam Christie enters the Portal-he's in he NBA Draft and making a decision but that's the only player off that roster you'd want.

Hawkins is not in the same class as Smith from Utah. It's not even close in terms of talent/impact on a game. He's erratic and plays in spurts....can't defend anyone. Collapsed down the stretch when Minnesota had a chance to place themselves in the mix/on the bubble and just played like absolute crap.

I'd rather have Boogie Fland return to UK then Elijah Hawkins. He left Howard to go to Minnesota and was the first guy to announce his "return" to "do something special" at Minnesota next year-they had paid him $250K in NIL money.

If this is what they are waiting on--not sure I want to know who the 2 other guys are. LOL
Exactly.this guy is Wheeler all over again.

I wouldn’t mind him as a backup change of pace guard

Wheeler averaged 14ppg -8 assist -2 steals at UGA before he came to Cal systems and dropped his averages by about 40 percent. Reed Shep averaged 12-4-4 for comparison. Wheelers one year at Washington he almost got back to his pre Calipari averages. dude struggles beyond 13 feet.

I wouldn’t mind him as a backup change of pace guard
You don't give up a quarter of a million dollars and a starting position in the Big Ten to be a backup change of pace guard in today's Portal world. Especially when he just entered after being the first player at Minnesota to say he was going to stay.

Kentucky needs to pass on this guy-he can't guard a statue in a wheelchair and he's a stat hunter. So his assists are not all about winning. He gets a lot of garbage assists (team is down and opponent conceding a hoop late-so you rack up 3/4 assists late for layups/dunks) and if you watch him at right time-he looks like a world beater. Watch the entire game/season....you see why he was at Howard to start his career.

He's not Wheeler in terms of style but in terms of approach to the game you nailed it. It's about him/his numbers and how they get there doesn't matter. He doesn't effect winning.

Boogie Fland will be a better college PG from day 1 then this guy will be in year 4/5 but everyone was dumping on the guy for being 17. Fland plays winning basketball. Hawkins plays stat hunting basketball.

You don't give up a quarter of a million dollars and a starting position in the Big Ten to be a backup change of pace guard in today's Portal world. Especially when he just entered after being the first player at Minnesota to say he was going to stay.

Kentucky needs to pass on this guy-he can't guard a statue in a wheelchair and he's a stat hunter. So his assists are not all about winning. He gets a lot of garbage assists (team is down and opponent conceding a hoop late-so you rack up 3/4 assists late for layups/dunks) and if you watch him at right time-he looks like a world beater. Watch the entire game/season....you see why he was at Howard to start his career.
I looked into him more and yeah he is only an add if you get desperate. I like
Mahaney, don’t know if they have a legit chance. Davis would be great also

Watch it for David jones as well. I liked Hawkins he is a better shooting version of wheeler
Don't you ever say that name round this parts again.

College Basketball No GIF by Kentucky Men’s Basketball. #BuiltDifferent

I looked into him more and yeah he is only an add if you get desperate. I like
Mahaney, don’t know if they have a legit chance. Davis would be great also
Believe he played against Kentucky when he was at Howard a few years ago-might be wrong on that-but think he was there.

I'll hope the staff is correct about who they want--so if he came to Lexington--hope this works like any/everyone else but the build up for that? Not seeing why. I live in Twin Cities, know staff quite well and he was a necessity to add due to the failure to land a PG locally when we've had some great ones and even the solid ones--but Hawkins really shocked them with this move. He was 1st guy to announce after the season he'd be back and then bolting for the Portal today hit them between the eyes as they had a lot of $ for him and gave him the ball from jump. When $250K for an NIT starting PG isn't good enough.......what the hell is going on?

Now if Cam Christie entered the Portal--he'd jump to my #1 priority period. I think he'd be offered by everyone whether they had spots open or not. lol

Reactions: NociHTTP
Maggard as a scout seemed to always promote the diamond in the rough recruits who were not good especially during the BCG era.

He hyped up Matt Pilgrim so much that I thought he was going to be a shorter Kevin Garnett. Turns out he was good at angry dunks off of rebounds but not much else and also stayed in trouble.

I think he was really high on GJ Vilarino and many others who were not even SEC level recruits.

Maggard as a scout seemed to always promote the diamond in the rough recruits who were not good especially during the BCG era.

He hyped up Matt Pilgrim so much that I thought he was going to be a shorter Kevin Garnett. Turns out he was good at angry dunks off of rebounds but not much else and also stayed in trouble.

I think he was really high on GJ Vilarino and many others who were not even SEC level recruits.
That class BCG was looking at was so bad.

Let’s see if uk reaches out
Pope's most recent offense didn't use a PG to move the defense around to get shooters open. To me it looked like an old fashioned square dance** with the 5 calling out the steps. I don't know what a nifty PG is supposed to do in it.

**if most of you don't know what a square dance is, this isn't the Kentucky I was born in anymore. Allemande left. Do-si-do and promenade right.

12, 4 and 4 is impossible to replicate?
His 3pt percentage, you didn’t seem to have a clue? Not like 12 4 and 4 alone get you freshman of the year. His numbers you casually like to simplify or put down were lower due to deferring to other teammates. Not like he wasn’t coming off the bench or anything to. And that was with a shit coach that didn’t even care to utilize him due to not wanting to hurt some one else wittle fweelings.

1st year guy hitting 50% of his 3s. Throwing impossible floor length passes. 2 steals/game. Being the calming, focused presence. Knowing what offense to run.
Yeah there aren’t too many freshman like Reed, if Perry is anywhere near that good then we are lucky. I do believe Perry will have a better legacy if he proves he can play at this level though.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
That’s not really a bet. Shep freshman year was damn near impossible to replicate. Man what I wouldn’t have given to have a coach utilize him and make other teams pay.
That was my whole point with him, I wasn't taking a shot at Sheppard saying "he got lucky", UK did. Yes Sheppard did great as a freshman but it is not in your favor % wise banking on them. For every Sheppard, you have a DJ, Edwards, Bradshaw, Z, etc. If there was a way to track every 4 or even 5 star recruits and know exactly the % of guys who played above / under expectations. Without knowing, I know my bet goes on the under performed and it is not even close. 80/20 ??

I know right! Dude was out there handing out kindergarten offers. Like this kid had an amazing dribble for age 5 and he loves Kentucky! You get an offer!
I just looked up Michael Avery that he offered in middle school. Looks like he ended up at Sonoma State and didn’t play much.

Konner Tucker averaged over 10 points a game in his last 2 years at UTEP.

Zollo ended up at Cleveland St.

And how could I forget about Leonard Washington?!

At least Harrellson was good. I mean Maggard was like 1 out of 20 on scouting at least.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I just looked up Michael Avery that he offered in middle school. Looks like he ended up at Sonoma State and didn’t play much.

At least Harrellson was good. I mean Maggard was like 1 out of 20 on scouting at least.
Looks like Tucker was the only bench player he recruited.

Hyped up GJ Vilarino, Dakotah Euton, KC Ross-Miller, Vinny Zollo, and others. I suffered through some of his Twitters Spaces call the other night and he was acting like these portal guys Pope is going after or talking to are elite, NBA-ready guys. Silly.

Reactions: bookerfan66
Hyped up GJ Vilarino, Dakotah Euton, KC Ross-Miller, Vinny Zollo, and others. I suffered through some of his Twitters Spaces call the other night and he was acting like these portal guys Pope is going after or talking to are elite, NBA-ready guys. Silly.
We may not have many NBA guys next year, but hopefully we’ll have a team of really good college players who are good enough to get scouted by the NBA at least.

Gotta get portal guards though!

Reactions: Fox2monk
It’s 2024 and people are listening to Marc Maggard again.

Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
I don’t fanboy any supposed insiders, but I’m not a hater either. I was familiar with Maggard from over a decade ago and I don’t trust him, but he may actually know some things through his connections, so it’s worth posting, and people can take it with a grain of salt. And it turns out. He called this a day before it was confirmed and when no one else was mentioning his name with UK, so… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Matt Pilgrim is a Beast!!!!!!

Who was that scorer that Maggard hyped up huge but ended up going to some smaller school and having a very soso career? Feel like he was a beefy small forward.

edit: remembered he went to USC, it was Leonard Washington. Played 2 years there then transferred to Wyoming.

KC Ross-Miller after committing to UK at 15 did quite well for himself turning into a brawling idiot at NM St, throwing balls at people and whatnot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT