ADVERTISEMENT

Worst UK starting five ever

tomrain

Blue Chip Prospect
Feb 18, 2004
With things slow right now. I thought it would be fun to put together eveyone's worst starting five from the last 25-30 yrs. The only rule would be these people had to start more than just senior night, not necessarily a every game starter, but started more than once or twice. Here goes mine:

C-Lance Ware-without a doubt!
PF-Mark Coury-Never understood this one. If memory serves me correctly, he would start, play a few minutes, to never return.
SF-Khalil Whitney-The fearless Dragon had one skill, he could jump. That was about it.
SG-BJ Boston-definitely one of the least popular players in UK history. Myself included.
PG-Devin Askew-Never a UK caliber player. One the scouts missed out on for sure.

In summary, it looks like most were in the Cal era, but maybe its because most of these are still fresh in my mind. It will be fun seeing others.

With things slow right now. I thought it would be fun to put together eveyone's worst starting five from the last 25-30 yrs. The only rule would be these people had to start more than just senior night, not necessarily a every game starter, but started more than once or twice. Here goes mine:

PF-Mark Coury-Never understood this one. If memory serves me correctly, he would start, play a few minutes, to never return.
SF-Khalil Whitney-The fearless Dragon had one skill, he could jump. That was about it.
SG-BJ Boston-definitely one of the least popular players in UK history. Myself included.
PG-Devin Askew-Never a UK caliber player. One the scouts missed out on for sure.

In summary, it looks like most were in the Cal era, but maybe its because most of these are still fresh in my mind. It will be fun seeing others.

Sheray Thomas
Derrick Jasper
Bobby Perry
Mark Coury
Michael Porter

There are a ton from the final tubby years and BCG fiasco. All good players but not Kentucky starting 5 material. Way more from the first 8 years of this decade than there are from the previous 14.

I think it shows you are like 12.

Reactions: Rockford
I'll pass on running down any kid who came to the University of Kentucky to play basketball and at a minimum worked harder in conditioning and practices than the average person ever does.
Jersey Shore Nicole GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

Don't forget Dwight Perry, he started a game outside of Senior Night.

Reactions: Zissou87

Boy this is some heavy recency bias.

Michael Porter definitely is the PG on this list (made even worse that he turned out to be a pedophile).

Khalil Whitney only ever started 8 games at Kentucky, don't think I'd say that's enough to qualify.

Lance Ware is definitely noth the 5 man- he wasn't great, but the worst starting Center in Kentucky HISTORY?! Phew that's not the case IMO. Lukasz Obrzut was way worse.

Sherry Thomas should be up there as well.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Michael Porter
Brandon Stockton
Kevin Galloway
AJ Stewart
Mark Coury

6th man: Rekalin Sims

Not winning a game.

In my lifetime...positionless basketball

Saul Smith
(we pretty much could have gotten anyone we wanted at time and this is where we landed)

Derrick Jasper
(Unbelievably unproductive for the amount of minutes he got)

Devin Askew
(A slow PG or a terrible shooting SG, don't know what he was; biggest recruiting miss of Cal era)

Michael Porter
(Awful player and apparently a worse person)

Skal
(IMHO biggest recruiting disappointment of Cal era by a landslide- based off expectations)

The starting five for a team that went 9-16 should be the winners of this argument!
The funny thing is, Pitino's first team at UK went 14-14 (10-8 in SEC play) with far less talent than Cal's 9-16 team, lol!

1989-1990 Roster:
#4 Derrick Miller (L) G Sr. 6-6 170 Savannah, GA <--- Starter
#35 Reggie Hanson (L) C-F Jr. 6-7 200 Somerset, KY <--- Starter
#12 Deron Feldhaus (L) F So. 6-7 210 Maysville, KY <--- Starter
#34 John Pelphrey (L) F-G So. 6-7 195 Paintsville, KY <--- Starter
#11 Sean Woods (L) G So. 6-2 180 Indianapolis, IN <--- Starter
#14 Jeff Brassow (L) G Fr. 6-5 195 Houston, TX
#32 Richie Farmer (L) G So. 6-0 170 Manchester, KY
#23 Nehemiah Braddy (L) G Fr. 6-2 190 Jacksonville, FL
#33 Johnathon Davis (L) F So. 6-8 200 Pensacola, FL
#20 Tony Cooper (L) G Fr. 5-9 150 Savannah, GA
#25 Skip McGaw (L) G Jr. 6-4 190 Madisonville, KY
#30 Michael Parks (L) G Sr. 6-3 180 Irvington, KY
#21 Henry Thomas F Red 6-5 160 Clarksville, TN

The funny thing is, Pitino's first team at UK went 14-14 (10-8 in SEC play) with far less talent than Cal's 9-16 team, lol!

Yep, that’s a new slapper

The worst players ever to be on a UK roster would be able to run circles around me an embarrass me back when I thought I could play basketball, so I don't think I need to be running them down.

Reactions: ORCAT
The worst players ever to be on a UK roster would be able to run circles around me an embarrass me back when I thought I could play basketball, so I don't think I need to be running them down.
No idea how good or bad your were at your peak but some of the Kentucky bench guys were pretty bad. They were not on the roster for their basketball skills.

1989-1990 Roster:

Pitino is the coach of my youth and I get where you are going but it isn't apples to apples.

Either way that 9-16 was not acceptable

Reactions: kywildcat41086

1989-1990 Roster:
Everyone on that team could shoot.

Everyone on that team could shoot.
Agreed! But none of them had NBA talent, that was my point. They were not great defensively either. They played hard and smart though and were well coached and as you say, they could shoot. Which mattered in Pitino’s system. Cal wouldn’t have won 5 games with that group.

Agreed! But none of them had NBA talent, that was my point. They were not great defensively either. They played hard and smart though and were well coached and as you say, they could shoot. Which mattered in Pitino’s system. Cal wouldn’t have won 5 games with that group.
I disagree that they couldn't play defense. They played defense very well. They focused on that. Back taps, full court press, etc. was the key to Pitino's offense. It all started with the defense. BTW, Cal's team beat that group

Why were they on the team then? GPA?
Grant Darbyshire is the perfect example. It’s nearly impossible to find high school stats for him. The only thing you see on UK’s site is that he scored 14 points in a game once in HS. Another site says he averaged 2.5 ppg his senior year of HS. He’s on the team bc his dad, Greg, is the owner of ProCamps which is a company UK and Cal have worked with.

I disagree that they couldn't play defense. They played defense very well. They focused on that. Back taps, full court press, etc. was the key to Pitino's offense. It all started with the defense. BTW, Cal's team beat that group
I didn’t say they were terrible defensively. Again, I’m only referring to Pitino’s very first team at UK, not any of the other’s. Athletically, I don’t think on paper anyone would disagree that Cal’s 9-16 team was far more talented than Rick’s first team at UK.

Again, they played smart and as a team, but I don’t think any logical person could say they were extremely gifted enough talent-wise to lock other teams down. I mean, they were 14-14, they weren’t great defensively, but maybe a little better than you’d think they would be collectively. I’m not sure what the “btw, Cal’s team beat that group” is referring to. I’m talking about a team from 34 years ago vs one from just a few years back.

Last edited:

Say what?

I didn’t say they were terrible defensively. Again, I’m only referring to Pitino’s very first team at UK, not any of the other’s. Athletically, I don’t think on paper anyone would disagree that Cal’s 9-16 team wasn’t far more talented than Rick’s first team at UK.

Again, they played smart and as a team, but I don’t think any logical person could say they were extremely gifted enough talent-wise to lock other teams down. I mean, they were 14-14, they weren’t great defensively, but maybe a little better than you’d think they would be collectively. I’m not sure what the “btw, Cal’s team beat that group” is referring to. I’m talking about a team from 34 years ago vs one from just a few years back.
I was talking about UMass beating the 96 team. I thought you were referring to the "Unforgettables" during their tenure. If I misunderstood your post, I apologize.

Reactions: IFerg1969

In summary, it looks like most were in the Cal era, but maybe it’s because most of these are still fresh in my mind. It will be fun seeing others.
Cater
Coury
Dragon
Porter jr.
Askew

Sheray Thomas
Derrick Jasper
Bobby Perry
Mark Coury
Michael Porter

There are a ton from the final tubby years and BCG fiasco. All good players but not Kentucky starting 5 material. Way more from the first 8 years of this decade than there are from the previous 14.
I’d take Jasper and Porter over askew honestly….as well as Jarred Polson. And that isn’t just an anti-Cal bias take. He seemed like a decent young man but he did very little that was even average.

Michael Porter
Brandon Stockton
Kevin Galloway
AJ Stewart
Mark Coury

6th man: Rekalin Sims

Not winning a game.
Dude, that post dug deep into my memory banks. Brandon Stockton, that’s a name I had forgotten that I had forgotten, and yea, once you said it, yea, he was maddeningly bad. Rekalin Sims…how did you even remember that. I’ll add one more name to your list that vaguely reminds me of that 1 or 2 decade period that was also infuriatingly bad but came in as a “second coming of (whatever, whatever).”. Rashaad figgin’ Carruth.

He came here right when I was at an age to start paying attention and caring about the team on more of a year around basis. I think he might have been the first player (outside of Jamal Mashburn when I was little, because who wasn’t excited about Jamal Mashburn), that I was wound up to see what he could do. And well, we all know how that worked out 😶

Reactions: ULisnotmyman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT