ADVERTISEMENT

Worst UK starting five ever

Can’t believe no one has mentioned Rashad Carruth….. That dude was a head case loser. Can’t argue with most of the other guys that got multiple mentions in this thread.

Porter and Sharpe are the only two I can think of that should be on this list. The rest held up their end of the bargain and will always be Cats. Might not have liked the results some of them produced but they’re still Cats.

• Haha
Reactions: M4CAT
The funny thing is, Pitino's first team at UK went 14-14 (10-8 in SEC play) with far less talent than Cal's 9-16 team, lol!

1989-1990 Roster:
#4 Derrick Miller (L) G Sr. 6-6 170 Savannah, GA <--- Starter
#35 Reggie Hanson (L) C-F Jr. 6-7 200 Somerset, KY <--- Starter
#12 Deron Feldhaus (L) F So. 6-7 210 Maysville, KY <--- Starter
#34 John Pelphrey (L) F-G So. 6-7 195 Paintsville, KY <--- Starter
#11 Sean Woods (L) G So. 6-2 180 Indianapolis, IN <--- Starter
#14 Jeff Brassow (L) G Fr. 6-5 195 Houston, TX
#32 Richie Farmer (L) G So. 6-0 170 Manchester, KY
#23 Nehemiah Braddy (L) G Fr. 6-2 190 Jacksonville, FL
#33 Johnathon Davis (L) F So. 6-8 200 Pensacola, FL
#20 Tony Cooper (L) G Fr. 5-9 150 Savannah, GA
#25 Skip McGaw (L) G Jr. 6-4 190 Madisonville, KY
#30 Michael Parks (L) G Sr. 6-3 180 Irvington, KY
#21 Henry Thomas F Red 6-5 160 Clarksville, TN

Switch out Derrick Miller with a freshman Jamal Mashburn and we were SEC champs the following year. Pitino was an innovator, but those guys were better than you give them credit.

Reactions: PrinceIsKing22
Sheray Thomas
Derrick Jasper
Bobby Perry
Mark Coury
Michael Porter

There are a ton from the final tubby years and BCG fiasco. All good players but not Kentucky starting 5 material. Way more from the first 8 years of this decade than there are from the previous 14.

In 05/06, Tubby started Thomas 12 games and Obrzut 16 games. Coury started 29 games in 07/08 under BCG, while Porter started all 36 games in 08/09

I'll pass on running down any kid who came to the University of Kentucky to play basketball and at a minimum worked harder in conditioning and practices than the average person ever does.
I agree here. I don't understand the fascination with running down UK players. But, there will be multiple "UK Fans" place their opinion for "worst player to start at UK".

Reactions: blueberryfields
The last 6 on that team I have never heard of..

I know 2 of last 6. Junior Brady, would assume you remember him....they have his real name listed. Jonathon Davis was a big time recruit IIRC...he never panned out. Highly successful business person in Lex. I played against him some at old Golds Gym or Powerhouse Gym on Nicholasville Road when I was in college, early '00's. He had a kid who was a really good player at LaFayette I believe.

Carter's only start was on senior day. I didn't realize Hogan got 2 starts his sophomore year. That's really shocking with the talent Tubby had in 98/99
Switch him out and put Mike Scott, I was down to those 2 for center. I had put Carter because he was eligible for a medical redshirt and had another year of eligibility for Cal's first year but did not return.

Brandon Stockton
Ryan Hogan
The Dragon
Mark Coury
Mike Scott

Last edited:
It has absolutely nothing to do with trashing players for me but enjoyed a trip down memory lane thinking about the different players over the years that were actually starters at some point in their UK careers. I like pondering different lineup combinations. Always participate in the threads that are for our best players too.

Reactions: tomrain
It has absolutely nothing to do with trashing players for me but enjoyed a trip down memory lane thinking about the different players over the years that were actually starters at some point in their UK careers. I like pondering different lineup combinations. Always participate in the threads that are for our best players too.
I agree 100% In no way did I start the thread to trash any players. Just remembering some who managed to start over the years.

Brandon Stockton
Dwight Perry, still started even though it was intended to be Bobby.
Kahlil Whitney
Mark Coury
Shagari Alleyne

Switch him out and put Mike Scott, I was down to those 2 for center. I had put Carter because he was eligible for a medical redshirt and had another year of eligibility for Cal's first year but did not return.

Brandon Stockton
Ryan Hogan
The Dragon
Mark Coury
Mike Scott
Reached way back into the Wayback machine for Mike Scott. I was going to mention him myself. Every time I watched him play I thought how in the hell did this kid get a scholly from UK?

A thread about ‘worst (WORST!!) UK starting five’ isn’t about trashing players?!?! 😂

Words just do not mean anything to some people these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT