ADVERTISEMENT

Worst matchup for UK?

bigbluelou

All-SEC
Apr 13, 2011
Obviously hypothetical and completely subjective, but if we had to play for the title tomorrow, which team(s) would be the worst matchup(s) for us? Assume everyone is healthy and available.

Haven't followed as closely in the past 2-3 years for personal reasons, but I'm curious what you folks think.

Reactions: BBUK
I think Purdue is a bad matchup they start a guy that’s like 7’4 and his backup off the bench was all conference last year I think Oscar can handle them but would rather not have to find out

Reactions: Smashcat
Purdue would only be bad if we play their pace. Man, they’re good. But I just don’t see that they’re THAT good.

Auburn is much more dangerous and we aren’t scared of them either.

I d8nt want to play Duke at their best. That’s a game we can win but man, the pressure in the tourney playing a Duke for Ks far well will be unreal.

If we dictate a fast tempo I wouldn’t worry about anyone. Now a slow down game either Purdue or Gonzaga.

It’s Duke, I can’t believe anyone would say any other team.
Have you seen Duke play lately? They have regressed since we last played them. Like any other Duke team in the past 5-7 years, they are who they are in November! They are at their peak in Nov/Dec. I believe on a neutral court and both teams healthy UK beats Duke by 12-15 points. I would love to play Duke again! Uk is by far the most improved team in CBB since the start of the season!

See, I tend to agree, but I *really* want a rematch with them. I know the cards would be stacked against us with K and the refs and all (sort of like UCLA in '75 with Wooden). We are not close to the same team now that we were in Nov, and we're getting even better. And Dook is usually pretty much the same team in March they are in Nov/Dec. Would love to hand K his last loss.

Have you seen Duke play lately? They have regressed since we last played them. Like any other Duke team in the past 5-7 years, they are who they are in November! They are at their peak in Nov/Dec. I believe on a neutral court and both teams healthy UK beats Duke by 12-15 points. I would love to play Duke again!
Dukes the only team in the nation we could play our best and still lose.

Obviously hypothetical and completely subjective, but if we had to play for the title tomorrow, which team(s) would be the worst matchup(s) for us? Assume everyone is healthy and available.

Haven't followed as closely in the past 2-3 years for personal reasons, but I'm curious what you folks think.

Good to have you back bigbluelou! To answer your question: No one! Bring them all on! I 1000% mean that.

R.0a0ecdee3759f12e15162c1a1ad65bb7

Have you seen Duke play lately? They have regressed since we last played them. Like any other Duke team in the past 5-7 years, they are who they are in November! They are at their peak in Nov/Dec. I believe on a neutral court and both teams healthy UK beats Duke by 12-15 points. I would love to play Duke again! Uk is by far the most improved team in CBB since the start of the season!
Creepy...we posted almost the exact same thing just now.

• Wow
Reactions: Jperry1987
I think we would beat Duke in a rematch, but they would be a challenge when playing their best.

I would say a team with a big 7-footer and shot blocker would be a challenge, though we've beaten teams like that. A team like Purdue or Gonzaga or even Auburn would be tough. The good news is, we've found other ways to win when teams have slowed Oscar down. By the end of the season, I think we'll be ready for whoever.

Vegas did.....
I said Duke is the only team in the nation can beat us if we play our best. You said that’s what people said last night. I said no one said that. Your answer is Vegas did because they were favored? No one thinks KU is better than UK at their best. Literally no one. Not even before yesterday.

A team with a good big as it negates Oscar a little - like Auburn did a little. So I would say Gonzaga with Chet and that other senior or Purdue.

Duke was +16 FTAs in that game. I'd be fine with playing them again...without that kind of officiating.:(
But ….what kind of officiating do you think coach K will get in his last ncaa tournament ? But again…..maybe a referee wants to be able to say he called coach K’s last game . Hmmm.

I cannot believe I'm saying this, but an upper echelon Big Ten team with big strong PG and some muscle on the front line. If the opponent has a athletic, strong PG, this will give Wheeler fits. We have been able to blow teams out if they have slight or thin PG's.

Generally, teams are not going to want to run with us, but if they can frustrate us on defense, they might not even need to be a great shooting team. A slugfest is the best way to beat us, provided they have the PG to do it and enough bodies to throw at Oscar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT